Europa Info Wanted

cludence

Europa Info Wanted

Postby cludence » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi, I picked up a road bike yesterday and it is an old Europa. My guess from the 80's. I am curious, were these mid-range quality bikes back then? Cant seem to find anything on net about these bikes. the only thing I have found on Europa bikes is on the forums here.

Karen.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ ... AK1453.jpg

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 pm

'Europa' was the house brand of Europa Cycles in Sydney and Adelaide - owner John Abeni.
John was a well known frame builder who built has high quality frames under the ' Abeni' name.
Bikes labeled 'Europa' were frames variously brought in from Japan, Taiwan, Italy (usually Oria tubed Technotrat's) and also Australian made Technicomps alloy frames and labelled as 'Europa'.
I have examples of all three.
You bike appears to be of either Taiwanese or Japanese origin, possibly in a lower spec Tange tubing.

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi yes it has the technotrat's on the sticker and has made in Italy. I like the pedals on it, they look a really old style but you cant see them well in the picture. The clip is also missing on one of the pedals unfortunately.

Karen.

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:50 pm

OK, if it's a Technotrat built frame, then the frame would have been built around 1985 to 1989, but possibly sold as a Europa up to a few years latter.

PeteC

Postby PeteC » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi Guys
Europas were sold in Canberra and were well respected in the 80's.

I bought an Abeni touring frame with Shimano bits in 1985 - took it to Britain and rode around there - a sturdy and reliable bike, so thanks for the info about John Abeni.

I've still got it as second bike.

regards

Peter C

tier

Postby tier » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm

I bought one early last year on ebay, in beautiful condition. It's one of the Italian, Oria tubed ones with a full Cambio Rino groupset. I emailed the shop in Sydney and John replied with details, which was nice of him.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Sorry to semi-threadjack, but also a bout a "Europa".

Came across THIS on ebay, was wondering if anyone had any idea.

Apparently by Raleigh, so does this mean Brit? And also, just general info, like would this be a good pickup, perhaps for a restore, etc?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Should be a nice bike when it's done up.

Richard
who rides a real Europa :wink:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

crog

Postby crog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:01 pm

Came across THIS on ebay, was wondering if anyone had any idea.
The winter issue of Rida has an article on two retro Raleigh bikes with from memory have the exact same finish as this listed on eby.

I stand to be corrected but this woud date the frame to 1970 and it would be Reynolds 531 frame. Pic up the magazine or replay and I willsane and email PDF's to you .

The blurb for the magazine States" With the likes of Zoetemelk, Rass and Knetman in its ranks the Raleigh TI team amassesd an incredible tally of victories invcluding major tour titles and world championships on both the track and the road We look at replicas of two bikes that beat the best in the world in 1970 and 1978 and left and amazing legacy"

If this frame pictureds is not the same as the retro featured in te mag I will go he.

It should be fitted with Campagnolo record gear and also have a devise called a Portacatena which appears to be a chim holding device and according to the author of the mag should have been an invention that was continued.

If the pedigree stacks up to what is mentioned in the mag I think it would be a good get.

Che

crog

Postby crog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:02 pm

Excuse touch typing skills the winter edition of Ride "issue 37" has the article on the Raleigh Retros

Che

crog

Postby crog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:28 pm

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/

Sorry more to my replay a bit of a web search uncovered the magazine website check the "features and racing section" it mentions the bikes and article.

Unfortunately I cant go more but magazine is available at newsagent

Che

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Nah, the Raleigh Europa was a lowend carbon steel tubed '10 speed', that Raleigh painted in the TI Raleigh team colours for marketing purposes.

Not worth anything really......

crog

Postby crog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:47 pm

Nah, the Raleigh Europa was a lowend carbon steel tubed '10 speed', that Raleigh painted in the TI Raleigh team colours for marketing purposes.

I stand corrected sorry
Che

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:45 pm

531db wrote:Nah, the Raleigh Europa was a lowend carbon steel tubed '10 speed', that Raleigh painted in the TI Raleigh team colours for marketing purposes.

Ah, lucky you chimed in, and that the seller's a slacker in answering sizing queries. Else I just may have spent $20 on it. Thanks guys!

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm

I bought a Europa for $20 yesterday (it's a Technotrat frame). Photos to come. It's shabby, with some serious rust on the top tube, so I don't know if its salvageable yet..
Stronglight cranks and headset are definitely keepers, as with the CLB brakeset and french bars.
Shifters are Shimano Exage sport. No wheels. Nice little Sugino seatpost binder bolt, and nondescript fluted post might be worth recycling.
I will get the frame cleaned up and go from there.
Similar stickers are still available from Europa cycles

Maybe I can use some Septone Rust Converter and ride her as is?

Nice looking calipers, levers:

Chrome fork has some marring, but doesn't it look nice with my mavic hub:

Stronglight 300LX cranks with Shimano 53/42 chainrings, Exage Sport derailleurs:
I like the pulley cage plates:

According to http://www.vintagetrek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano the bike is likely to be 1988 vintage. 26.8 seatpost has MADE IN FRANCE and 04-88 stamped on it also.
I emailed John Abeni and he confirmed that it's the italian frame, and late eighties vintage.

vx255

Postby vx255 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 pm

Love the front forks, how bad is the rust? it's hard to tell by the pics whether it's surface or started to bite in. Nice score for $20 just for the components alone.
Striving for mediocrity.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Yes, the forks are pretty. The rust in the top tube looks pretty savage. The rest of the frame is just cosmetic.
Once i get some decals, I will get it sandblasted and go from there.
No rush, as I have a few other bikes waiting for me to fiddle with.

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm

531db wrote:...the Raleigh Europa was a lowend carbon steel tubed '10 speed'...
I remember the Raleigh Europa as being the best looking, extremely desirable but out of reach bike going around when I were a lad. Rakish angles, thin tubes, geared, racing saddle and bars, hooded brakes.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:51 pm

I have a Raleigh europa and they are indeed low end 1020 carbon steel framed bikes that had all the Raleigh TI team livery and looked fine but were actually pretty average. That said it's a nice quality carbon steel bike about as good as my raleighgGrand prix and a bit worse than my Carlton Corsair ( Reynolds 501 not the corsa which is the one you want unforunately)

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:49 pm

hi all,
speaking about raleighs there is a raleigh grand prix on ebay at the moment, has nice rear stays which wrap over the top tube.
SL

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I've got a stack of those Raleigh Grand Prix frames in various states with wraparound lugs at seat tube, are they anything that special?

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 pm

hi,
probably not but different than the average road steel bike out there
SL

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:31 pm

True and they'd probably look pretty good with a fresh repaint

ConorLikesOldBikes

Re: Europa Info Wanted

Postby ConorLikesOldBikes » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey guys, new to this site as I was searching for info on Europa bikes.
Just found it outside a bike store, mechanic did not want it, so I decided to pick it up, mainly for parts slash 27 inch tyre, but then I saw the Top bar.
Seems to be a good bike, suzue hub, SR handlebars, very interesting looking bike.

toff

Re: Europa Info Wanted

Postby toff » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Conor. Welcome aboard...

I got my first Europa in 1978. It was an early BMX style bike, with backpedal brakes. I remember being a kid and walking around the Europa bike shop back then. I saw all sorts of bikes with their brand on them. Not only mixtes, but early mountain bikes too. Well, probably better to describe them as flat bar road bikes, but they were designed for off road riding. I still remember asking what those "strange" bikes were.