Correct Seat Position - Or Is it?

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:01 am

I've heard that it's quite normal to shift back on the seat a little and drop the heels when trying to generate more power for seated climbs.

Recently I started to feel that my seat position was a fraction low. I also found that I tended to shift forward on the saddle on long rides. Consequently, I put the seat up 2 mm and forward 5 mm, with no loss of comfort even after 60 km or so.

I now find that shifting back on the seat doesn't seem to make a difference when climbing - I only have to drop the heels if I want that extra boost. I also find that I no longer drift forward on the seat, and that my weight feels more positively placed over the cranks.

This made me wonder. If you have to shift back on the seat in order generate more drive for a seated climb, is the seat a little too low and a fraction too far back?

And is there any such thing as a "sweet spot" when it comes to seat positioning?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 am

Funny you mention this, I was thinking about this last night.
I have been clocking up a few Km's on an old outdoors concrete velodrome of late, and noticed that like you, my position and power was improved by moving my saddle about 5mm forward.

I found that by doing this, my pedal stroke was downward whereas before I felt I was pushing my pedals forward and then down.
It has given me more power for sure, blew another shimano freehub to bits spinning up the cranks. Feels better climbing too as I don't feel the need to move forward or back unless its really steep and I'll shimmy forward just for balance and weight distribution, not power or comfort.
I didn't change my seat height as I think it was about 3mm too high to begin with and bringing it forward effectively lowered it a little.

What I have found is too high = loss of power at bottom half of stroke,
Too low = more power but sore knees.

I have odd legs in that I have a long thigh section and short shin section.
I think with all of the diversity that come with biological idiosyncrasies like these will in turn result in 150,000 solutions to the one problem, and they will all be valid.
So don't be surprised you find replies that contradict your findings, yet work for someone else.

I have heard people say they like their cleats forward, some back, some so far back they have had their shoes drilled to get them in the centre if the foot. All valid, all wrong, depending on your biomechanics, bike, style of riding, fitness level, age and even riding surface.

Interested to hear others findings.

bychosis

Re: Correct Seat Position - Or Is it?

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:53 am

It can be hard to find the sweet spot, but I think either I adapt to stuff quite easily, or am less susceptible to minor changes, or just to dumb to work out what isn't fitting right. Some people seem to be forever adjusting in minute amounts. Most of my bikes are/have been reasonably comfortable, except at the moment I know the fixie has the wrong saddle, it is just uncomfortable - will be changing it soon.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm

harmonix1234 wrote: I think with all of the diversity that come with biological idiosyncrasies like these will in turn result in 150,000 solutions to the one problem, and they will all be valid.
So don't be surprised you find replies that contradict your findings, yet work for someone else.
+1. Different bodies, different bikes, different riding styles. Different strokes for different folks. For me, It's matter of finding the right balance between endurance and acceleration. I prefer longer rides at a slightly lower pace, but I still want some power in reserve for hitting those hills.
harmonix1234 wrote: I found that by doing this, my pedal stroke was downward whereas before I felt I was pushing my pedals forward and then down.
Same here. After shifting the seat forward, I found I had to make a conscious effort to change to more of a downwards stroke. It felt like I was getting more power to the pedals, but old habits die hard.
bychosis wrote: Some people seem to be forever adjusting in minute amounts.
Yep. That's me! I've had to change the seat position incrementally over the past few years as the fitness level went up. The body is still adapting to the bike. I've achieved my initial objective of regularly riding 70 km or so without anything hurting. Now I just want to do it faster!
2010 Oppy C6

kb

Postby kb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Sounds like torque rather than power (but not saying you're not better off...)

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:50 pm

kb wrote:Sounds like torque rather than power (but not saying you're not better off...)
:oops: I stand corrected. :mrgreen:
2010 Oppy C6

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:27 pm

A few things I've found since having a Steve Hogg fit - this isn't Steve's advice, it's my reflection on it.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and if you are healthy, you will be able to pedal the bike quite easily up to a certain torque/power/duration.
Some people point their toes, others don't, some twist the ball of their foot, others don't.

The real key is what is your IDEAL position. This is much harder to assess, and having a "low" seat isn't always a bad thing. Being too high is far worse for my knees than too low. I'm twice the rider I was 18 months ago, need another fit - but it's not about the fit :idea:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 pm

+1 to having the seat on the lower side rather than too high. I tweeked my bung knee again recently after buying some speedplay specific sole shoes without adjusting the seat height. I'm also a forward guy rather than a setback as I seem to pickup problems with that also if its in the wrong spot.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Interesting topics.

Another useful tip, you can test these things out just by placing your sit bone a bit forward and a bit backward. Done a few kms on each position. It will tell you where your limitation are before you actually move the seat.