Noob tyre question

Jet01

Noob tyre question

Postby Jet01 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Bought a giant defy advanced 1 in August last year and have done about 1000kms on it.
The tyres look fine at the moment, but when I comes time I want to know which tyres to get. I'd like to keep and eye out for specials online and at my LBS.

I'm don't race at all. Most of my rides are between Cronulla and Kurnell, and Rouse Hill to Penrith.

Puncture resistance is the biggest priority followed by grip.

Happy on 25mm tyres. I ride my trek crossrip if the roads get bumpy or I'm going on a ride into the unknown.

wombatK

Re: Noob tyre question

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm one of the many Continental GP4000s fan-boys here, and happy to recommend them ... I get typically double the
mileage out of them than any other tyre I've bought or had on bikes I've bought. That's both in riding time between
punctures and overall life of the tyre.

But maybe some of the other brands with similar price point and specs (with kevlar puncture resistant belts or similar) would
perform OK for you too.

As for the 25 mm ... just check that's what is on your bike now. Some road bikes with 23mm tyres don't have enough clearance to the fork for the larger size. Even if there's enough clearance, if you get caught in a rain shower, debris will be more likely to catch in the tyre-to-fork space.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:36 pm

The Giant Defy series all come with 25mm tyres, there's room to spare for 28s as well if you want to go wider.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:04 am

I swapped the Giant tyres that came on my TCR (same as the Defy's in 23mm I think?) for GP4000s after they met a beer bottle on the M7 cycleway. Happy with them so far.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:45 am

Try Yaw Fuel, cheap and pucture resistant too!

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep an eye out on wiggle for a sale on them.
There's a fair bit of clearance on the defy for wider tyres, but if I feel like I need wider tyres (if I think it might rain or be rough roads) I ride my trek crossrip LTD that has 32's on it.

Cheers

skydance

Postby skydance » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Jet01 wrote:I'm don't race at all. Most of my rides are between Cronulla and Kurnell, and Rouse Hill to Penrith.
Maxxis ReFuse for an extreme amount of puncture protection (and weight).
Continental GatorSkin as a compromise between racing and puncture protection ( gatorskin on the rear outlived two GP4000s2 on the front!!! :shock: )
Michelin Pro4 Service Course is not bad too (though rarely found)

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I like Vittoria Rubino Pros. Bit cheaper than others, and they've always been reliable for me.

Even just plain Rubino's are solid too.

Depends what your budget is I guess.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Continental Gatorskins. Bullet proof tyres that have thicker side walls than the lighter GPS4000s so are less susceptible to tears.

tooslowtorace

Postby tooslowtorace » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Been using Vittoria Zaffiro 28mm folders on my training bike, seem to be wearing well and haven't punctured yet - and SSsssooooo cheap

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Have a look on Chain Reaction Cycles (no affiliation). I bought a pair of Michelin Pro 3's - haven't fitted them yet because my stock giant tyres are still going strong but reviews seem good and were half the price of the Conti GP400P's and came with bonus tubes

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:39 pm

djw47 wrote:Continental Gatorskins. Bullet proof tyres that have thicker side walls than the lighter GPS4000s so are less susceptible to tears.
I too like GP4000S2 but I not had last more than 6months when on the rear due to terrain slicing them up. I am now on a Gatorskin on the rear and so far only 1 puncture (U shape shape metal) and a lot less wear and tear. I have a GP4000S2 on the front but I am going to try a Conti 4 Seasons on the front in these cold wet months and switch back to a GP4000S2 in the summer.

So what I am saying is the GP4000S2 could be good for you but if you have some rough terrain and can't afford a puncture, try Continental's Gatorskin.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

tonydallea

Postby tonydallea » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Another option to consider are the Michelin Lithion 2's. Have found these to be pretty good wear wise and from resisting punctures. They cost only about $25- per tyre and are available in 25mm width.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 pm

It is just a trade off;

More puncture resistance, firmer ride and less rolling resistance.
More comfort and speed, less puncture protection.

The science; the soft, more flexible the sidewall the more comfy it will be. It also will soak up the tiny imperfections in the road using less energy to roll forward. This is why if you pump your tyres up to hard it is slower than a lower pressure. There is always a sweet spot for weight vs pressure.

I personally take my chances and run cotton tyres (soft sidewalls) for comfort and speed and sacrifice puncture protection. Don't like riding concrete tyres personally. So that is me.

I would suggest try both over the time you ride, some swear by contis, I just can't seem to enjoy them. But tyres can be a very personal thing.

PS, I run stans to increase my puncture protection with my cotton tyres. :)

Just had another read of your opening post, from what you are indicating, I would suggest contis GP4000, very good grip, good wear. A popular tyre. I don't run them as they do tend to be a firm tyre, but for what you are requesting they would be perfect.

tooslowtorace

Postby tooslowtorace » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm

If you are concerned about rolling resistance check out this link:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really very little difference between the best and worst for an average Joe.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 am

Given your description you would've be crazy to use 4000s tyres over the more durable 4 seasons. To be honest I'd always use 4 seasons over 4000s tyres, even for racing

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:18 pm

djw47 wrote:Continental Gatorskins. Bullet proof tyres that have thicker side walls than the lighter GPS4000s so are less susceptible to tears.
Grave dig...

Long-time Gator fan here; just about to replace the rear on my commuter bike 'cos I've worn down to the string. Lost count of its mileage, but it's a long way into its second lap of the odometer. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 am

For durability, nothing seems to beat the Durano Plus tyres. However, they are not very fast.

Out of interest, how much faster using a GPS 4000s compared to Durano Plus assuming everything else stays constant. I am asking because I am thinking of racing in my Drano Plus tyres this summer.

vinski

Postby vinski » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi - i have both the durano plus and contis GP 4000s (both in 25c) and i couldnt tell the difference! But then im no pro racer or even amatuer racer - i just commute and do the odd longer rides.

Cheers

zill

Postby zill » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:34 pm

vinski wrote:Hi - i have both the durano plus and contis GP 4000s (both in 25c) and i couldnt tell the difference! But then im no pro racer or even amatuer racer - i just commute and do the odd longer rides.

Cheers
How long have you been riding and how many km per week?

Is it more because you don't care about speed and so can't/don't know the difference.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:48 pm

zill wrote:For durability, nothing seems to beat the Durano Plus tyres. However, they are not very fast.

Out of interest, how much faster using a GPS 4000s compared to Durano Plus assuming everything else stays constant. I am asking because I am thinking of racing in my Drano Plus tyres this summer.
Just under 1kmh at 200 watts. Of course you sacrifice grip and rolling weight as well. Your question must be an attempt at humour.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:11 pm

What separates the Continental line-up

a) Choice of puncture protection. Polybreaker (nylon mesh) versus Vectran (liquid crystal polymer). Vectran is lighter and stronger than Polybreaker. But its more expensive.
b) Duraskin. The additional mesh that sits over the carcass and protects the sidewalls.
c) Black Chilli. Low rolling resistance rubber compound, but not suited for very cold temperatures.

So in terms of the three continental tyres mentioned here:
Gatorskin - Has Duraskin and Polybreaker
GP 4 seasons - Has Duraskin and two layers of Vectran
GP4000S II - Has a single Vectran layer and Black Chilli.

Note there also exists a 'Grand Prix' that uses Polybreaker and BlackChilli.

I've been commuting on Gatorskins for a few years, GP 4 seasons since January and on the advice of Continental UK (whom the advice about Polybreaker and Vectran came from) will try the GP4000S II in 28mm this summer.

They also suggest the more supple carcass of the GP 4 seasons/4000S gives better puncture protection against a Grand Prix/Gatorskin.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

KiamaClimber

Postby KiamaClimber » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:17 pm

I use 28mm Maxxis Refuse on long training and Audex style rides as they have unbelievable puncture resistance and great grip together with very good value and comfortable as hell at about 85psi but you pay a weight penalty. For every day riding (I ride the hills around Kiama and Jamberoo every day and roads are scratchy) I use Vittoria PAVE 27mm which I am a huge fan of. Also have used Swable Durano plus Race Guard as a training tire which I can recommend as well. If I could just have one wheel and tire combination and I was not racing or a STRAVA queen and my bike could fit them I would run 28MM Maxxis Refuse comfy, cheap, roll good enough and are near impossible to flat.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Okay,

all tyres have there sweet spot, the pressure were they are not to soft but not at the point where they feel to hard, it is funny because the presure change of 10 psi makes a massive difference.

I have found the better tyres feel softer at a high pressure and just glide along.

For instance, the yellow jersy (a cheap vittoria) (i run tubulars) for my weight of 85kg, have to be 80psi front, 90 psi rear, to feel the comfort.

contis competition can be run at 100 psi and still feel the comfort.

veloflex over 100 psi and still feel the comfort.

When the pressures are right for the tyre/weight it works best, comfort vs speed. Of course the higher you can run the pressure without it becoming harsh the better it rolls. A quality tyre set at the right pressure is like carpet!

skydance

Postby skydance » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 am

__PG__ wrote:They also suggest the more supple carcass of the GP 4 seasons/4000S gives better puncture protection against a Grand Prix/Gatorskin.
My experience is completely opposite. Did more than 7,000 on Gatorskin and never had a puncture. Did 2,100 on GP4000s2 and had 4 punctures. It's not just karma.