Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Date: 15th March 15
Venue: MWCC West Head
Conditions: Cool, sunny
Grade: B Shimano
Result: around 10th / 23 starters
Report:

Decided to ride out to west head from home with a group of DHBC riders. The alarm went off way too early, it had a 4 in front of it :shock: my first race at west head, though the hills may suit me.

We rolled off and the pace was pretty high from the get go, lots of riders were shed on the climb up to the course. I got myself up to the front few and tried to control the pace of the race as one of the DHBC NRS riders took off. How he was in B is anyone's guess! One other followed, I attempted but was reeled back in. We settled into a rhythm on the rolling hills and smashed it up the climbs, shedding more each time. The pace steadily increased and by the middle of lap 2 we caught the breakaway. More attacks ensued but none were successful, so the 16 that was left of the group were waiting for the last km blast for the uphill finish.

One attacked metres before the turn around point. He got round just as cars entered the course. We were told to stop and wait. I was near the rear of the field and unclipped. Once the cars cleared the race was back on, it was all a bit of a shambles though so I rolled into the finish about 10th. The finish was deemed neutral, thus no official results.

Checked the stats once we rode home, it was a pretty tough one! Got a normalised power of just under last years FTP for 1.5hrs!

dist - 50.1kms
time - 1hr 26min 28sec
speed - 34.8 km/hr avg (66.8 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg
heart rate - 169 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 273NP

Keeping near the front

Last edited by Strawburger on Wed May 20, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Date: 11th April 15
Venue: NSW Hillclimbing Championships
Conditions: Cool, sunny
Grade: M2
Result: 5th
Report:

Learned a lesson from last year: drink boiled water not the local stuff from the tap and warm up better!

The gold medal time from last year was 10:15, so I was aiming for that or thereabouts. I did a 10:30 sick last year so this was achievable.

I had a race plan and pretty much stuck to it. I may have gone out a little too soft but I blasted up the hill so well I barely felt it! Got over the crest and could hardly push the pedals!!! Got over the line in 10:12. Happy days!

Unfortunately I was completely outclassed this year, the winning time was 9:40... Fortunately next year I'm up an age division... Plus I was 2nd fastest DHBC rider on the day, getting beaten only by a young whipper snapper who rides in the NRS team.

dist - 4.2kms
time - 10min 12sec
speed - 24.6 km/hr avg (51.7 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg
heart rate - 182 HR avg (190 max)
Power - lots :)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Date: 26th April 15
Venue: DHBC Rookwood Criterium (race around the cemetery)
Conditions: wet, cold
Grade: B
Result: mid pack
Report:

A change of course this year meant no steep hills to attack from. The recent rain made the track a little slippery but overall a very good circuit.

After a warmup lap and a neutral lap we were off. I sat near the back to get the legs warm and to scope out the competition. The first of many attacks started on lap 2 so I made my way up to near the front and did my fair share of turns on the front, closing down attacks where possible. One of our very strong junior riders jumped (lap 5?) and opened up a gap, 3 others joined him and the breakaway was established.

I stayed near the front, i decided any I would join any counter attacks. Midway through the race the chase started to break down and counters were frequent. I was jumping on wheels or creating my own however nothing significant happened. With 5 laps to go a fellow Dhbc rider jumped with one other. We got a gap and held it for half a lap, again it was closed down. We caught one dropped breakaway rider and race slowed as we were now defeated and riding for 4th place. I jumped on the front and led the precession into the bell lap. With half a lap to go the sprinters were getting twitchy. I sat up and let them have their sprint. Rolled over the line mid pack happy with how I performed.

dist - 27.5kms
time - 44min 33sec
speed - 37.1 km/hr avg (56.2 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg
heart rate - 171 HR avg (186 max)
Power - 273NP

warming up

Attacking and hurting the field - the start

the surrender of the attack

Taking the bell

Rolled off to watch the sprint finish

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed May 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Date: 9th May 15
Venue: SSCC vs DHBC criterium at Waratah Park
Conditions: cool, sunny
Grade: B (handicap)
Result: 5th overall in first race, 3rd in A/B combined in second race
Report:

Sutherland shire cycle club was the host of the battle between them and Dulwich Hill. Race 1 handicap, C grade was 1.5 mins in front, A grade was a minute behind. We had 12 laps. I was in B. The course is a fast downhill for the first half, then big ring uphill for the 2nd half. From the outset DHBC was on the front and driving the pace, sharing some of it with a couple of SSCC riders. We quickly caught and spat out C grade, we were now all out on our own with A grade closing. 8 laps in and we were still out in front. A fellow Dhbc and myself attacked the bunch on the uphills but we couldn't break the bunch. Again on the 9th and 10th lap. A grade were beaten! We attacked again on the 11th. I rolled over the line to take the bell and stayed at the front for the descent. I did one last attack on the final climb to lead out my Dhbc mate, i crested with only 4 behind me. The legs popped on the sprint. A SSCC rider rolled over us to take the win. I rolled in 5th, just beating A grade over the line.

Race 2 handicap, C grade 1 lap plus 1 min, A grade 1 minute behind. 12 laps. There were some tired legs and no real attacks to speak of. From the start we were destined to be swallowed up by A grade. We only caught C with 5 to go with a further lap to catch them. Then A grade got us with 4 to go. I positioned myself well for the hills, ensuring I kept on good wheels. On the last lap I got boxed in on the descent, but found a small gap at the base of the climb. I attacked A grade, with only 2 A graders able to hold my wheel and me chasing one A grader down. I crested 2nd, I was perfectly placed for the win with only 200m to go. My legs exploded when the sprint started. I got left behind, another passed me and I think I just beat another (photo finish) into 3rd place of the A/B grades. C grade was miles in front!

Great course, suits my abilities. Can't wait for the next one!

Race 1
dist - 15.3kms
time - 23min 55sec
speed - 38.6 km/hr avg (65.6 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg
heart rate - 171 HR avg (195 max)
Power - 296NP

Race 2
dist - 15.3kms
time - 23min 52sec
speed - 38.6 km/hr avg (65.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg
heart rate - na HR avg (na max)
Power - 290NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Date: 23rd May 15
Venue: NSW Masters Championships road race, Griffith
Result: lucky 13th
Report:

Being off the bike due to having a cold/flu all week in the lead up, I decided to still travel down for the weekend. After all, the accommodation had been fully paid for! The race plans were modified from attacking to sitting on to survive. An extended 1hr warmup to see if the legs still worked, then we were off. I sat near the front in the neutral zone before dropping back to near last position once the real racing started. The first of the 6 laps were pretty fast, breakaways attempted to get away but they were closed down. Lap 2 was pretty much the same. At the end of lap 2, the punchy climb got the better of me and I lost the wheel in front on the fast descent after it. The lungs were shot, I sat up watching the peloton roll away. Guys started rolling past me, I didn't realise I had a sizeable group behind. I latched on and was dragged back to the group. From there on my race was pretty much done, I decided to sit on treat it as a training ride. The breakaway stayed away for the next 4 laps and had a huge gap of about 3 minutes with 17km to go and ended up winning by 50 sec. I rolled in with what was left of the peloton.

A quick time this year, a full 1km/hr quicker than last year. I also farewell M2 and jump into M3 next year!

dist - 103kms +3km neutral zone
time - 2hr 31min 15sec
speed - 41.0 km/hr avg (63.0 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg
heart rate - 168 HR avg (189 max)
Power - 232NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Date: 25th May 15
Venue: NSW Masters Championships ITT, Griffith
Result: 9th
Report:

Still feeling the sickness, I nudged my power numbers down to suit. I would have aimed for top 5, however I readjusted expectations and used it as TT practice. I stuck to my plan perfectly, the first time ever! Amazing what a change of mindset does... Not much else to write about though as I was slightly off the pace. Beat last years avg speed though!

dist - 16.5kms
time - 26min 06sec
speed - 37.9 km/hr avg (56.5 km/hr max)
cadence - 96 avg
heart rate - 178 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 264NP

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 pm

37.9 ave is pretty dam fast over that terrain
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Strawburger wrote:

You've probably seen this;

Going off that photo you are a 9 on the "Chewbacca scale"

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... ter-41658/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am

mikesbytes wrote:37.9 ave is pretty dam fast over that terrain
Yes fast, but not fast enough!
warthog1 wrote: You've probably seen this;

Going off that photo you are a 9 on the "Chewbacca scale"

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... ter-41658/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 on the chewbacca scale Awesome :lol: Yeah the legs are pretty hairy. I usually cover them up but that day was a little too warm for it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Strawburger wrote:
9 on the chewbacca scale Awesome [emoji38] Yeah the legs are pretty hairy. I usually cover them up but that day was a little too warm for it.
Yeah I liked that scale too. [emoji38]
Nice work on the ride. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:38 am

Date: 31st May 15
Venue: Ken Dinnerville Memorial Handicap
Grade: Bunch 6, 12 mins head start to bunch 1 (scratch), 21mins to limit (bunch 9)
Result: 29th / 170, chasing bunch
Report:

Looking at my handicap, on paper this would seem like it would be an easy race in comparison to others. No Dinnerville is an easy one on the body though, you could be mistaken for thinking the road surface is cobbled rather than sealed! Thanks to some tips from the BNA forum and insight on the starters by Derny Driver, I was equipped with the tools to have a good race. The Dinnerville is 4 laps containing one "climb" per half lap, out and back course.

Our group of 15 or so were hot from the start, after 3kms the first climb was upon us. The bunch went hard and soon we shed a few riders. The pace continues and soon we only had 5 working. I turned to the group and requested to slow down... Only 90kms to go guys, a long way with only 5 riders... The message sank in until the return climb. It was an ongoing battle...

By mid way through lap 2 I had enough and decided to save my legs, the rest powering on. I had the legs on the climbs and was very comfortable.

By the end of lap 2 a large bunch of group 4&5 combined caught us. I jumped on and saved my legs for the climb. Lap 3, Over the top of the climb and I was positioned in the front few, still easily holding my own. We then caught the limit and other bunches and we formed the mega bunch of about 70 riders!!! Scratch was a way off so it looked likely we would compete for the KOM on Lap 4. I got over the hill in a great position and attempted to hold it for the KOM.

Leading into the KOM, 2 riders went off the front. The bunch accelerated and back markers made their way forward. I was mid pack as we hit the base of the climb. 2 others broke away from the front and it was mid way up the steep but when I decided to make a move. By the end of the steep bit I was out on my own, by the KOM marker I caught and overtook the 2 chasers. I looked around and noticed we had a gap. We formed a group of our own and kept the pace up to attempt to reel in the breakaway but within a couple of kms we were caught by the peloton. I sat up and kept a good position near the front for the reverse climb. We reeled in the breakaway soon after and just before the turnaround point one rider jumped off and maintained a strong pace. With 5 kms to go that rider was still out in front and had the win in the bag, the bunch was now riding for 2nd. As we started the reverse climb I jumped and gaped the peloton, no one grabbed my wheel so it was just me out there riding for 2nd. Not one spectator to witness my breakaway either :lol: I negotiated the descent and was nearing the final straight before I was caught by a hard chasing peloton which had split. Damn... I sat in for the sprint, rolling over with the group of 40 odd, finishing 29th, 50 sec behind the solo breakaway winner.

dist - 105kms
time - 2hr 44min 07sec
speed - 38.2 km/hr avg (68.8 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg
heart rate - 169 HR avg (188 max)
Power - 243NP

At the start

Group 6

Near the front of the mega bunch on the 3rd lap descent heading toward the 4th lap KOM

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:40 am

Date: 6th June 15
Venue: Sydney Road Titles, Penrith Regatta Centre
Conditions: cold, sunny, still
Grade: M2 (1&2 combined)
Result: 15th /18 M2, 28th/37 combined, bunch finish
Report:

This is the 4th race weekend in a row, with not much training and lots of recovering the form was ok but starting to dip. M1 and M2 are grouped together, so again I'd be the oldest in the race... Last years race was manageable to the point where I could sit on the front and control the speed. This year not so. It was quick from the start and didn't let off until the finish. A flat 5km course that goes clockwise around the former Olympic regatta course, the profile is flat with a few bends and a tiny rise over water. Accelerations out of each corner of each lap were typical. A surgey kind of race.

About mid way into the race 5 riders got away and their lead increased as the laps went by. Multiple attempts to get to the front were stopped due to the narrow track and the size of the field.... That and strength! So, a boring race where I sucked wheel and my input amounted to zero! As per usual the peloton left it too late so by the finish we were sprinting for 6th. As a non sprinter I stepped aside and let the sprinters do their thing.

dist - 89.7kms
time - 2hr 05min 49sec
speed - 42.8 km/hr avg (54.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg
heart rate - 165 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 215NP

Tooling around at the back

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 am

Date: 13th June 15
Venue: Wagga Wagga Classic Road Race
Conditions: cold
Grade: short course, Block +4min scratch (-15 to limit)
Result: 7th / 60 odd, bunch finish
Report:

Another cold Wagga day and a grading & course that suited me this year. A big change of course from previous years, this year sees a 40km loop with a couple of "climbs".

Block had a 4 min head start on scratch and from the off we were working well. We had some very strong women in the bunch which made it all the more powerful. We were up and over the first 2 climbs pretty easy, within 15 kms we had already caught the bunch in front. Just after the midway point, we had to ride through a section of 1km of dirt roads. I eyed this off as a good attacking point for the next lap.

By half way, we had swallowed all but limit, scratch was out of sight. We caught limit just before the first climb and with still 30 odd kms to go. The pace was still high, a customary few hanging on the back... Coming toward the dirt section, I sat on and saved the legs. Just before it I jumped and got a good 30m. No one came with me. I drove on but unfortunately the bunch decided to lift their pace and pull me back in. I jumped in and pulled turns straight away.

With 10 to go, we still had a gap to scratch, it looked like we would hold on. The sprinters started to sit on the back whilst the rest pulled the group to the line.

With 3km to go, I thought about another attack but soon thought otherwise as the pace lifted and the rolling turns ceased. I got myself near to the front and sat between 2nd and 5th wheel where I could but spread 5 wide. With 1km to go, the bunch got itchy feet and the sprint started. I was sitting in about 8th place. I kept the power in reserve until about 350m to go. I launched my version of a sprint and ended up 7th! Unfortunately they were paying to 6th.

Happy with how my tactics went and the evolution of my decision making during races. Still waiting for that elusive breakaway success though...

dist - 79.0kms
time - 2hr 05min 23sec
speed - 37.8 km/hr avg (70.1 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg
heart rate - 167 HR avg (187 max)
Power - 242NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:17 am

Date: 14th June 15
Venue: Wagga Wagga Criterium
Conditions: cold
Grade: D, 35min +3 laps
Result: 2nd / 30 odd :)
Report:

Very cold morning so I did an extra long warmup and had a chat to a couple of my competitors. The course has not much for a climber. Dead flat with some fast corners. A lap takes just over 2 mins. The D grade race was meant to be separate to the womens race but the women wanted to race with us. The announcer proceeded to read out the women's field... A former world champion (still in their prime), an Olympic medalist and a rider fresh back from a successful trip of the tour of Qatar. This is going to hurt! It would be separate results at the end, one pot for the primes of which there were 2.

Rolling up to the line, Aussiebullet came up and said hello. I mentioned that I'm no sprinter so there wasn't much in it for me except a breakaway attempt. Hint hint...

Off we went, the pace was high and a couple of early unsuccessful breakaway attempts were shut down. I thought I'd better get myself near the front and ensured if someone went I would be there! About 10 mins into the race one of the weaker girls went off the front and got about 10m. I decided to go and bridged to her. Another guy from Vikings joined me. Within seconds the girl dropped off, I decided to keep going without much help from mr Viking. Soon enough, the very strong girls rider bridged and we formed a paceline. About 5 mins later, the first prime was up for contesting and the peloton was closing in, we only had 10 seconds. I said, I'm interested in the win, the other two were as well so we kept going in the paceline. I rolled over and took the first one. After that, the peloton dropped, I kept shouting we only had to disappear and the win was ours. Sure enough, within a few laps we were out of sight.

We kept driving the pace, except for mr Viking who skipped a lot of turns. The 2nd prime I drove to the line and rolled off to give it to the girl. Mr Viking didn't deserve it :) we were getting messages of 15 seconds from the crowd, but it was almost half a lap I thought (Aussiebullet confirmed after the race). With time up and 3 laps to go we still weren't sure. With 2 to go we were still driving. I took the bell and realised we had it in the bag. Mr Viking was sitting on my wheel, the girl was behind and had her win in the bag. I led the entire lap ensuring I saved enough in the legs for a sprint. I knew this guy was a sprinter so my best bet was to go early. With 500m to go I went, he followed, we dropped the girl. I dug deep and I made Mr Viking suffer all the way but he got me on the line by a tyre width :(

Happy with that result. Finally a breakaway that stuck, beat some exceptional riders (it's not often you beat a former world champ in their prime), just needed that extra couple of watts for the sprint! Also nice for the announcer to roll off my Palmarès as I took 2nd place. How do these people know "rank amateurs" achievements???!!!

dist - 27.5kms
time - 41min 35sec
speed - 39.6 km/hr avg (52.2 km/hr max)
cadence - 94 avg
heart rate - 177 HR avg (187 max)
Power - 260NP

Podium shot (note mr Viking's photo prize is him sucking wheel hehehe)

Video of the breakaway (me in the front as per usual :) )

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:03 am

Excellent breakaway, that isn't an easy course to get away from the field
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Going well, Strawburger. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Date: 27 July 15
Venue: NSW Team Time Trial Championships, Nowra
Conditions: overcast & windy
Grade: Masters opens
Result: 17th out of 42 teams
Report:

This year I had assembled what seemed to be a weaker team on paper but more tactically astute than last year. The NRS team pinched our star rider (and they then didn't enter a team), our hillclimber was crook, our descender (mikesbytes) rolled his ankle in the lead up meaning we had 2 fit riders. This year I would be the fittest rider rather than the weakest...

Same course, uphill on the way out, downhill on the way back. We rode tight and smart on the way out, beating last years out time by 2 mins. On the return we were closing in on a few teams ahead. With me and Mike driving the pace on the return, we passed those teams before the flat last 3kms. We dropped the other fit rider at the start of the flat so we had to finish with what we had! We still kept it tight and rolled over with an average speed higher than last year, exhausted! We just scraped in as the fastest DHBC team and into the top 20 again!

dist - 40.7kms
time - 1hr 03min 40sec (official time 1:03:38)
speed - 38.3km/hr avg (61.7km/hr max)
cadence - 93 avg
heart rate - 171 HR avg (180 max)
Power - 252W NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Did my annual studio FTP test on the weekend. Gained another 4%!!!

Speaking to the instructor/experienced coach, with my numbers I should be racing in either B or C state grade, and A club. Better have that word with my club handicapper :)

Having a few months off now, may get myself sorted for Tour of Bright :twisted:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Was having a few months off but the Tour of Canberra popped up... So, here's some more racing reports!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Date: 29th August 15
Venue: NSW Elite ITT & Masters invitational, Breadalbane
Conditions: Cold and very windy
Grade: M1-2
Result: 5th / 9
Report:

Breadalbane, the home of those ugly wind turbines ;) The wind was horrendous! Blowing hard in your face on the way out but enjoying the tail wind on the way home. I was feeling pretty good coming into this one and was aiming for a course PB. After a chat with Kev on the TT jig (no chief commissaries duties for him today), I was off. My aim was to go hard out and try to maintain speed on the way home. After 4km I passed one competitor, barring disaster I wasn't last! I comminuted to go hard and at the turn around point I had posted a decent time. The favourite caught and passed me soon after. I watched him gradually get away but tried to emulate his pace. We were hitting speeds close to 65km/hr, battling to keep the bike going straight ahead. The last 3kms were relatively easy, meaning I hadn't pushed myself hard enough! Rolled over the line with a new PB! Happy with that!

dist - 22.6kms
time - 35min 38sec (official time 35:33)
speed - 38.1 km/hr avg (64.5 km/hr max)
cadence - 93 avg
heart rate - 174 HR avg (179 max)
Power - 260ish and far too low!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Date: 30th August 15
Venue: Goulburn Great Divide, Gunning
Conditions: Cool
Grade: div 3
Result: 22nd / 50odd
Report:

The same course as the NSW masters RR course from previous years and using some of the road as the ITT, a lumpy out and back, 45km lap. Wind is a factor, fortunately it was fairly mild compared to yesterday. Thanks to advice from the forum, I was up one grade. I thought I'd have a look at how this grade worked and sat on the back for the first few kms. I worked my way up the pack and back down again for the first half lap. Just before the first turnaround, things were getting boring. I made my way to near the front and decided to counter attack any attacks that went off the front. The pack chased me down once I had bridged the gap and it resulted in bringing the race together. I sat in at the turn around and decided to attack on the next rise. Similar faces joined me in the attack, it seemed like the stronger riders were blocking any sort of moves and the field was back. I attacked again and again but the same results eventuated. I gave up and went back in the field. As I did that, a breakaway did form just prior to the turnaround for lap 2.

It was all pretty sedate, the gap opened up and no one was chasing. As we approached the hill before the turn, I gauged an interest in an attack with the Bankstown rider. He wasn't interested and was saving his legs for the finale. Fair enough. Didn't stop me from attempting to bridge the gap though :) same result though, however it kick started the peloton to chase down the breakaway.

We reeled in the breakaway with about 5km to go. I was trapped near the back, the ultimate hill before the finish was near. I made my way up to the front finding small gaps in the bunch to squeeze through. Once there, it was showtime! Mr Bankstown jumped and got a gap, I bridged with a sydney uni rider. I turned to the Bankstown rider and said "lets go!". He said he'd run out of juice... I kept going and rolled off for support. There was no love from Bankstown or Syd Uni. We were sitting ducks. The pack caught us and were swallowed... I remained near the front and got myself on the front with a km to go. The sprinters were itching to jump. With 500m to go it started... A bit early to go? I went with them but was quickly overtaken. I popped pretty quickly soon after so I sat up and watched the sprinters do their thing and rolled in with the other attackers/climbers.

Very happy with the performance and an enjoyable grade to be in. Glad I made the move up!

dist - 95.1kms
time - 2hr 28min 20sec (official time 2:28:12)
speed - 38.5 km/hr avg (62.5 km/hr max)
cadence - 88 avg
heart rate - 161 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 240NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Date: 6th September 15
Venue: DHBC ITT Championships, Calga
Conditions: rain about, a little windy and cold
Grade: Opens
Result: 2nd scratch, 3rd handicap
Report:

First time doing the short course in Calga. An out and back course with a rolling profile and a climb of sorts 5km before the finish line. I was up against some stiff competition in the scratch race as a couple of NRS riders showed up, plus a couple of very solid older masters riders looking to take out the handicap.

I had a simple plan. Go hard out, recoup until the climb and use everything I had in the tank to get over the hill and roll home.

It went to plan, maybe went out a little too hard at the start, but regained any misjudgement by freewheeling down the hills. Smashed it up Blood Hill and passed one masters rider that had a 5min head start just before the finish line.

I passed quite a few others and didn't get overtaken by any DH riders, a good sign that a decent result could show for my efforts.

Once all had finished, my time came in about 1min 30sec under the standard age, bagging 2nd in scratch! One NRS rider pipped me for scratch and handicap, but it was the other masters rider who beat his std time by 3mins and won the handicap, putting me in 3rd.

dist - 24.3kms
time - 38min 12sec (official time 38:11)
speed - 38.1 km/hr avg (66.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 95 avg
heart rate - 174 HR avg (181 max)
Power - 270ish NP

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Strawburger wrote:Did my annual studio FTP test on the weekend. Gained another 4%!!!

Speaking to the instructor/experienced coach, with my numbers I should be racing in either B or C state grade, and A club. Better have that word with my club handicapper :)

Having a few months off now, may get myself sorted for Tour of Bright :twisted:
Can I ask what numbers he thinks are indicative of those grades?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Date: 19th September 15
Venue: Tour of Canberra aka national capital tour stage 1
Conditions: Cold, dots of rain
Grade: C
Result: 4th / 30 odd
Report:

Been waiting 3 years for this race to return! I was so disappointed it was removed for the punters for a few years, it popped up in the calendar a month ago so I jumped on the opportunity to do it. I came into this race without any specific hills training, only the recent racing under my belt and a basic knowledge of the course. This would be my second race up a grade too, so this would test my capabilities in a stage race. Well under prepared as I didn't do any research on the other riders either...

We lined up for roll out and I had a quick scan of the bunch, some lightweights and some heavier riders in the 30 odd riders. I sat near the back to check them out. There were 6 or 7 COX riders, 3 or 4 Vikings, a few ONYA and single riders scattered around.

A few early attacks went and returned, we were all together for the first high speed descent at Uriarra Crossing. Wow, the speed was HOT! I was tailing off the back and rejoined at the base of the first climb. I passed many riders and got near the front by the half way point and sat in.

Soon after the crest, attacks started, three went off the front including one from the very well organised team from Canberra COX and one from the Vikings club. I tried stirring up the bunch but there wasn't much interest. A few riders eventually got things going and we soon consumed them. The descent down mount Macdonald was HOT! I was mid pack but on the ascent I was soon on the front. A solo attack by Vikings went. This one stuck. There was a distinct lack of urgency. I sat on the front for a good 5kms, riding tempo at 25-30km/hr. ONYA was sitting on the back, not many others interested in doing much work to pull the rider back. I was confident I'd catch him on the final 12km climb but was joking around saying the guy had already finished with 20km to go :)

We got to the final climb, the pace lifted. I got on the front to control the pace. The bunch was still with us and the call that the breakaway rider was 1.5 mins up the road... Easy :) I turned to a young rider and said "enough teasing the bunch, let's shake the hangers on". I increased the pace to threshold and one by one riders popped. We caught the breakaway half way up the climb and we were down to 10 riders left. I continued the pace until we were down to 6. With 5km to go we were down to 5, then 4 with 4 to go. Two COX, a Vikings and myself. We pushed on, the legs started to go so I blocked the pain out. With 1km to go, the young guy increased the pace. I was dropped just before the steep bit. Bugger. I held them in my sights and crossed the line 22sec down. 4th place...

At the presentation they announced the rider needed special permission to enter, being an u17 rider! I saw him after and said, if I knew you were 17 I would have dropped you at the bottom! He grinned and said, "I'm only 16". Oh. I said, see you tomorrow for more hills before trying to hold in in the crit. He said "actually that suits me, I'm a sprinter!". Double oh...

dist - 58.6kms
time - 2hr 00min 24sec (official time 2:00:34)
speed - 29.3 km/hr avg (73.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 83 avg
heart rate - 169 HR avg (??? max)
Power - 258NP!!!

At the start

Leading the charge

Finishing 4th and minimising lost time

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Date: 20th September 15
Venue: Tour of Canberra aka national capital tour stage 2
Conditions: Cool
Grade: C
Result: 17th (bunch)
Report:

Woke up with good legs and a race plan, I needed 20 odd seconds to make up for a podium.

I attempted to hang near the front, but soon found myself hanging off the back on the Corin Dam descent. I just couldn't hold the speed of the others, something I need to work on! I got myself on quick smart and made my way up to the front very early in the climb. I set the tempo with the leader of the race, having a chat as we climbed and put others in the red. 3rd place GC and COX rider jumped off the front. I looked over and smiled at the leader, saying "nice try, I'm not falling for that one!". I had a feeling that the leaders team mate wasn't feeling 100%, and by half way up the 4km climb he was back in the pack. I kept the heat on, making sure I drove the pace over the crest. The top 4 watched each other and were tightly marking any moves. Attacks started, including the young Parramatta rider who flatted the day before. I bridged his attack as he looked dangerous, but this took the peloton with me. More attacks came and went before the 2nd climb of the day.

One lower GC rider took off at the base of the climb, we let him go but kept close eyes on him. He blew up pretty quickly. I noticed another young rider in a sponsored kit looked comfortable today so I identified him as possible allies. I kept the pace high on the front, letting a few others do some work as well, ended up cresting near the front.

The descent again was fierce, I dropped a load of places and found myself near the back. Fortunately there was a pinch at the end if the descent which allowed me to get back to the front. Fortunately no one attacked! I sat on and controlled the pace. The young Canberra rider attacked, we pulled him back soon after... We rolled to Uriarra Crossing, ensuring that we were all together. A few minor attacks happened, but we were all back together for the descent. I was at the back again, really badly out of position. I worked up to the front and sat on. We crested the first part of the 3part climb together, me on the front. It was now or never to grab a podium spot. At the really steep bit, I gave everything and attacked. The young Canberra rider and the race leader followed me. We had a gap to the peloton. I looked over and rolled off the front. This could be the defining moment, a 2nd place podium... Then the two young guys found another gear and took off! Fffffaaaarrrrrr......... They gapped me and I was in no mans land. I couldn't keep with them so I sat up on part 3 of the climb and rolled up with the peloton. I had one last trick up my sleeve, the last pinch at 2 km to go, 8kms up the road. I sat in and waited for that moment. Attacks happened in the lead up but were shut down. Then my last chance... I attacked, got a couple of seconds on the bunch but was soon reeled in. At that moment I decided I gave my all and conceded. I rolled in with the bunch 32 sec down on the breakaway I started. I comfortably held onto 4th place in GC, with a crit to go it was a pretty certain outcome I wouldn't be on the podium.

dist - 57.9kms
time - 1hr 40min 49sec (official time 1:41:11)
speed - 33.8 km/hr avg (72.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 88 avg
heart rate - 165 HR avg (186 max)
Power - 261NP!!!

Bad position

Getting to the front

Keeping control of the pack

Bad position again