Strawbuger's Racing Log

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Strawburger wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:How much do you weigh?
mid to late 60's. Last time i weighed myself i was 68kg a month ago, but the belt buckle is telling me i've lost a little in the last month. It's not a good indication however i know i'm not replacing the kJ's i've been burning due to the extra riding lately and being slack in snacking.
That puts you in Christian and Lacey territory. Your going to have to go race at Oately.

Light weight was a considerable advantage at Mudgee as the early hills blow the heavier riders while the downhills ain't vicious enough to let them get away.

BTW congratulations, If I remember correctly that's about a 5kph average improvement over Ken Dinnerval.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks all. By the sound of it i'll probably need to pedal madly at the start of the decent, get into a good tuck and try to suck wheel. The last bit is going to be hard as confidence in the other riders is something to get used to! I had no problem climbing and getting to the top quite easy in comparison to most of the other riders, using a lot less energy and breathing normal. I'd blow out on the way down whilst they are recovering - not being able to hold a wheel doesn't help. I should probably work on the tuck position as well. i've got the legs sorted, just need to work on the upper half getting lower.
mikesbytes wrote: That puts you in Christian and Lacey territory. Your going to have to go race at Oately.
I spoke to Mark (Lacey) after the race and he was saying he noticed the pace downhill a little tough to keep up as well. Experience kept him with the pack. Oatley? I'll have to find out the details and give it a go.
mikesbytes wrote: BTW congratulations, If I remember correctly that's about a 5kph average improvement over Ken Dinnerval.
Cheers! Yes, nearing 5km/hr better. Being in a more suited grade and holding on to the group certainly pushes the average speed up!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

orphic

Postby orphic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for calling out to me to get on when your bunch came past. I think I was pretty safe anyway but it was good to hear a voice of encouragement!

What's your next race going to be?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 am

orphic wrote:Thanks for calling out to me to get on when your bunch came past. I think I was pretty safe anyway but it was good to hear a voice of encouragement!

What's your next race going to be?
No probs! I thought you wouldn't have any trouble joining the bunch. Next race, i thought perhaps i would head out to Cootamundra but that may be too far to go, Mike suggested Kurrajong, i may give that one a go. Of course in the mean time i'll head down to heffron, or check out oatley out!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

orphic

Postby orphic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am

What's Oatley?

I can't do Kurrajong, but I'm pretty keen on doing Tamworth and Cootamundra. Hoping we can get some good numbers again. It's much more fun racing in a sea of red ;)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am

orphic wrote:What's Oatley?

It's much more fun racing in a sea of red ;)
Not too sure. I think its shorter racing around oatley park run by St george. Trying to find more info on it. Mike suggested it actually.

It's heaps of fun seeing red jerseys in the bunch. it gives you that little bit extra energy and drive!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Sounds like we should have a DHBC visit to Oately on Saturday afternoon.

Oately is a handicap race over 8 laps of Oately park 2pm Saturdays in Winter, not run in Summer.

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Sounds like we should have a DHBC visit to Oately on Saturday afternoon.

Oately is a handicap race over 8 laps of Oately park 2pm Saturdays in Winter, not run in Summer.
is it on every saturday?
Open to all Clubs?
Graded or handicapped?
Hilly or flat course?

I love trying out new courses :D

Don

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:29 pm

leximack wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Sounds like we should have a DHBC visit to Oately on Saturday afternoon.

is it on every saturday?
Open to all Clubs?
Graded or handicapped?
Hilly or flat course?

I love trying out new courses :D

Don
Run by St George, open to all clubs. 2pm Oately Park, Oately. Wintertime only.

1 race for all, handicap start, 8 laps of Oately Park. Off memory, I don't think there is any flat... so a weight weenies delight :)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Date: 8 August 10
Venue: Kurrajong Classic Scratch
Conditions: Perfect
Grade: Division 3 (2 laps of 33kms)
Result: 14th (out of 70 riders) :shock: :o :D
Report:

Was feeling average after looking after my sick partner all week and feeling a slight bug kicking in, but i put it aside and focused on my first scratch race (i withdrew from the Mudgee one). I had a very short warm up of only 8 mins so the warm up was going to be on the first climb! The DH guys gave me a few tips on the start line and Mike C ran me through the course and tactics before the warm up. These proved invaluable!

The fast descent was after only 3kms, so i got as far forward as i could, but got passed by the heavier set riders on the way down. Fortunately my weight proved an advantage on the way up as i proceeded to pass most of the riders and join the front runners half way up the climb. I wasted a bit of energy doing so and got dropped about 300m from the crest/turn. I spent a lot of energy chasing the pack down and with a couple of others, we rejoined about 5km down the road. I sat in and got my breath back and ate a few bars. A DH rider jumped off the front and all attacks were easily chased down.

Lap 2 was almost groundhog day. The dropped bunch from the first climb had regathered the peloton but by half way up the climb the lead group smashed it apart. I was one of the last to be dropped but gathered (or convinced) a couple of other riders to give it a crack and try to rejoin. Again we were a sucess but i was well and truly spent by the time we did get on the tail. I was dropped on each surge as the bunch chased down the attacks. Fortunately i rejoined once all the attacks were neutralised. With about 10km to go, the group slowed, so i made my way up to join in mid-pack.

With 5km to go, the pack was getting edgy and the pointy end was getting crowded. With 2km to go, i thought i heard a tractor coming the other way. It was a lot worse. Scraping carbon on road at 45km/hr. I narrowly avoided one of the stranded riders, asked if everything was ok and continued. The bunch had split, so i passed a fellow DH rider and yelled to get on as i put my head down and bridged the gap. The bunch settled in for the finish and i was in a terrible position (far left). I was boxed in but as the sprint increased in pace i found a little gap. I punched through and passed a few riders before running out of road and seeing the finish line. I thought i did well but looking at the results page on the board after the race i discovered my name was on it in 14th!

I couldn't have done much better. I still can't believe my result mixing it in the sprint with the big boys. I guess i wasn't prepared for a sprint so the mindset wasn't there. My positioning was terrible at the critical points - both climbs i was stuck using the left shoulder of the road passing slower climbers and not getting on a strong wheel thereby using up heaps of energy closing gaps. Also i felt i shouldn't have been there for the sprint finish and it took too long to realise i could have challenged for a place. However, stoked with the day and the result!

Stats:

dist - 64.7kms
time - 1hr 45min 17sec
speed - 36.9km/hr avg (77.6 max)
cadence - 96 avg (145 max)
heart rate - 166 HR avg (187 max)
Last edited by Strawburger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 am

You'll get there and so long as you are happy with the effort, that's all that matters. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

Strawburger wrote:Date: 8 August 10
Venue: Kurrajong Classic Scratch
Conditions: Perfect
Grade: C (2 laps of 33kms)
Result: 14th (out of 70 riders) :shock: :o :D
Report:

Was feeling average after looking after my sick partner all week and feeling a slight bug kicking in, but i put it aside and focused on my first scratch race (i withdrew from the Mudgee one). I had a very short warm up of only 8 mins so the warm up was going to be on the first climb! The DH guys gave me a few tips on the start line and Mike C ran me through the course and tactics before the warm up. These proved invaluable!

The fast descent was after only 3kms, so i got as far forward as i could, but got passed by the heavier set riders on the way down. Fortunately my weight proved an advantage on the way up as i proceeded to pass most of the riders and join the front runners half way up the climb. I wasted a bit of energy doing so and got dropped about 300m from the crest/turn. I spent a lot of energy chasing the pack down and with a couple of others, we rejoined about 5km down the road. I sat in and got my breath back and ate a few bars. A DH rider jumped off the front and all attacks were easily chased down.

Lap 2 was almost groundhog day. The dropped bunch from the first climb had regathered the peloton but by half way up the climb the lead group smashed it apart. I was one of the last to be dropped but gathered (or convinced) a couple of other riders to give it a crack and try to rejoin. Again we were a sucess but i was well and truly spent by the time we did get on the tail. I was dropped on each surge as the bunch chased down the attacks. Fortunately i rejoined once all the attacks were neutralised. With about 10km to go, the group slowed, so i made my way up to join in mid-pack.

With 5km to go, the pack was getting edgy and the pointy end was getting crowded. With 2km to go, i thought i heard a tractor coming the other way. It was a lot worse. Scraping carbon on road at 45km/hr. I narrowly avoided one of the stranded riders, asked if everything was ok and continued. The bunch had split, so i passed a fellow DH rider and yelled to get on as i put my head down and bridged the gap. The bunch settled in for the finish and i was in a terrible position (far left). I was boxed in but as the sprint increased in pace i found a little gap. I punched through and passed a few riders before running out of road and seeing the finish line. I thought i did well but looking at the results page on the board after the race i discovered my name was on it in 14th!

I couldn't have done much better. I still can't believe my result mixing it in the sprint with the big boys. I guess i wasn't prepared for a sprint so the mindset wasn't there. My positioning was terrible at the critical points - both climbs i was stuck using the left shoulder of the road passing slower climbers and not getting on a strong wheel thereby using up heaps of energy closing gaps. Also i felt i shouldn't have been there for the sprint finish and it took too long to realise i could have challenged for a place. However, stoked with the day and the result!

Stats:

dist - 64.7kms
time - 1hr 45min 17sec
speed - 36.9km/hr avg (77.6 max)
cadence - 96 avg (145 max)
heart rate - 166 HR avg (187 max)
Fantastic result Straw :D Is that open C ? What grade do you race at Club ?
FPR Ragamuffin

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 am

I'm not sure what grade it was exactly - the race was labelled as division 3. I better get the grade right on the intro. A few fellow club members race in B. I race down at Heffron in C and have usually been off limit or one step up in the country handicap races. I better get down there again to take advantage of the recent form! :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 am

Well done Strawbuger, if I've got that right, that's 6kph average speed quicker than Ken Dinnerval on a course that's average speed is slower.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 am

On that form, B grade Heffron is calling!

Will keep my eye out for you!
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 pm

A few fellow club members race in B. I race down at Heffron in C and have usually been off limit or one step up in the country handicap races.
SB, I have ridden Heffron C Grade in the last month. And I ride a lot with those Peloton Sports blokes that finished in the top 15. My clubmates are a fair bit stronger than me, but FWIW I am certain I am strong enough for Heffron B Grade, and will be testing my opinion out as soon as they go to 4 pm starts - Daylight Saving.

If you can hold onto the front bunch over that course with those blokes, you can ride Heffron B Grade, without a shadow of a doubt. The only rider (hoho) to that is you are entitled to a place or win in C Grade before you put yourself up.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:53 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Well done Strawbuger, if I've got that right, that's 6kph average speed quicker than Ken Dinnerval on a course that's average speed is slower.
Yes you are correct. I am still scratching my head understanding how this was possible. To be fair, the only times my nose was in the wind were when i was attempting to rejoin the group after being dropped, and the start and end of the two climbs so that may have helped!
Beanzy wrote:On that form, B grade Heffron is calling!
Will keep my eye out for you!
You will need a good neck - i'm usually the one sitting behind you through the headwinds every lap! I may have to ask for you to be promoted with me (if the time comes) :lol:
rogan wrote: SB, I have ridden Heffron C Grade in the last month. And I ride a lot with those Peloton Sports blokes that finished in the top 15. My clubmates are a fair bit stronger than me, but FWIW I am certain I am strong enough for Heffron B Grade, and will be testing my opinion out as soon as they go to 4 pm starts - Daylight Saving.

If you can hold onto the front bunch over that course with those blokes, you can ride Heffron B Grade, without a shadow of a doubt. The only rider (hoho) to that is you are entitled to a place or win in C Grade before you put yourself up.
Excellent! Well i'll have to get down there now and see if i still have cornering skills and be able to compete in C grade, here's hoping i'll be in B with you before start of summer!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Strawburger wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Well done Strawbuger, if I've got that right, that's 6kph average speed quicker than Ken Dinnerval on a course that's average speed is slower.
Yes you are correct. I am still scratching my head understanding how this was possible. To be fair, the only times my nose was in the wind were when i was attempting to rejoin the group after being dropped, and the start and end of the two climbs so that may have helped!
I think the explanation is pretty simple, you've gotten stronger :idea:
FPR Ragamuffin

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:50 pm

If you look at yours and my results for Ken Dinnerval and then look at yours and my results for Kurrajong you will see a reversal. For you its because you have got faster, for me its about how high I can climb anaerobically, the hill at Ken Dinnerval is about 3/4 of the one at Kurrajong, hence at Ken Dinnerval I was able to power over.

James will look at our results and recalibrate some of us, don't be surprised to find yourself starting with me at Coota. Not that I can race 120k, I'll blow way earlier than that.

If you can, take a win at Heffron C grade before moving up.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Considering i have only completed 2 C grade races in the last 3 months, i doubt i will be moving up soon. I wouldnt be hanging on my wheel at the moment!

If you are finding C grade easy than move up! There is no requirement that says you have to win!
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Date: 21 August 10
Venue: Heffron Pk
Conditions: Crosswind on straight
Grade: C - 14 Laps
Result: 1st :D :D :D
Report:

Not much to report as it was pretty uneventful. A pack of about 16 started including 2 D graders which were thrown into our group. A lousy warmup and generally feeling crap after a big week (sounds familiar!), I found myself at the back of the pack after lap one and thought i better start racing. By lap 3 i got to the front and alternated with a couple of RBCC riders for the next 7 laps. An easts rider then had a crack at breaking the pack but was soon closed down. He then had another go on lap 11 with another easts rider leading him out but i shouted at the RBCC guys to close down the attack which was successful. With 2 laps to go the RBCC gathered their troops (6 of them) and took charge. I jumped at the front of the pack on the bell but the RBCC guys got back in front by the finishing straight. They all went with 400m to go, i thought i might as well have a crack and see how i go. The 6 guys dispersed as the sprint started and conveniently broke the wind for me. I wound up, put the head down and ended up winning by 6 lengths!

Very very happy, timed the sprint perfect (with a bit of luck) and was in great position for the majority of the race. B grade next time out could be a goer, although it wasn't easy winning this race that's for sure!

dist - 28.28kms
time - 48min 25sec
speed - 35.4km/hr avg (47.8 max)
cadence - 93 avg (131 max)
heart rate - 169 HR avg (194 max)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Date: 22 January 11
Venue: Heffron Pk
Conditions: Headwind at bumps
Grade: C - 14 Laps
Result: DNF
Report:

First race back after being involved in a a car/bicycle accident and upgrading to titanium in the wrist. The C grade (as with B grade) bunch was huge! There must have been over 30 odd, with A grade a measly 5-6. Anyway, i found myself mid bunch and dropping back, my cornering was a little tame and i started falling toward the tail. By lap 2 i was starting to get the confidence back and was making my way through the large pack with the rubber banding causing a lot of pain to the back of the pack. By lap 4 we were passing some back markers when as quick as you like riders closed in on each other. My handlebar wrapped its way around another rider and i waited to be catapulted over the bars. Fortunately it did so at pace - lifting us both over the track to a nice landing in the sand. I narrowly avoided logs which would have made a mess of my head/neck/back. Both myself and the Easts rider somehow got up without too much damage. He got a lift in the buggy with both bikes as his shoulder was feeling sore. Bruised and battered i walked back to the start finish line to get my bike, shower off half of Maroubra beach and head home after the race. The race was won by an LACC rider and only a handful of riders did manage to finish as the pace was really high.

dist - 8.32kms
time - 13min 45sec
speed - 35.4km/hr avg (45.5 max)
cadence - 91 avg (119 max)
heart rate - 182 HR avg (186 max)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Mate your in the wars

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Bugger, at least you didn't do any serious damage. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Mate your in the wars
Indeed i am. Hoping for a incident free rest of the year!