Strawbuger's Racing Log

Strawburger

Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm

sogood wrote:Nice and you are more than strong enough for C. That ride together to Waterfall 2-3 months ago told me that. I think you have enough power in your legs to podium in C too. :mrgreen:
Cheers! Hopefully i gain more experience and learn the trade so i can get to the top 3.
mikesbytes wrote:What PSI are you running? How much do you weigh?
70kg, running 100PSI on the front, 105PSI on the back. I've looked at some basic charts to suggest i should be running between 105-110 on the back. How accurate are the calcs i'm using?
mikesbytes wrote: Having ridden with you, you are fast enough to sit in on C grade. Perhaps some sprint training would help, head for the Veldrome Mon or Wed night, Lindsay can help with a loaner track bike.
I'll see if i can get the time on mondays. Shouldn't be a problem if i book it in the same time as the missus' gym sessions :wink:
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:16 pm

You never have to wait to ask for promotion!

Your wheels could probably do with a bit more pressure. I run 120psi. Although you are probably feeling the flex in your wheels/tyres as you corner at higher speeds especially at the 180 at the netball courts. I can also feel my wheels struggling here when at speed/ putting power down. Although i am a tad heavier then you!
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:14 am

Strawburger wrote:70kg, running 100PSI on the front, 105PSI on the back. I've looked at some basic charts to suggest i should be running between 105-110 on the back. How accurate are the calcs i'm using?
The calcs are not an exact science. On the road I run 110 front 120 rear and I weight between 78 and 84 kilos.

I don't think your figures are wrong, but you could try 100 front 110 rear and see if that extra 5psi in the rear changes the feel of the bike.

Have you had a win in D? why not go up to C once you have that win
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:41 am

Beanzy wrote: Your wheels could probably do with a bit more pressure. I run 120psi. Although you are probably feeling the flex in your wheels/tyres as you corner at higher speeds especially at the 180 at the netball courts. I can also feel my wheels struggling here when at speed/ putting power down. Although i am a tad heavier then you!
mikesbytes wrote: I don't think your figures are wrong, but you could try 100 front 110 rear and see if that extra 5psi in the rear changes the feel of the bike.
Thank you, i'll give it more pressure and see how that goes. Beanzy, the netball courts are exactly where i am feeling the flex. I didn't notice it in D grade but the extra speed in C grade is noticable.
mikesbytes wrote: Have you had a win in D? why not go up to C once you have that win
4 wins in 5 starts in D grade, with the other one a DNF puncture in my first race. I must have been flying under the radar! I wasn't sure how promotions work so now i know i won't wait next time.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 am

I'd be surprised if the flex was due to a 5psi difference. Far more likely to be due to the wheel when subjected to extra power. Try borrowing a mate's wheel and see how different it feels. Otherwise could it have been a slight loss of grip?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm not suggesting that a bit more pressure will make it go away, I'm just asking if a little more pressure changes the feel.

With that number of wins, its definitely time to move up

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon May 31, 2010 5:44 pm

Date: 30 May 10
Venue: Ken Dinnerville (Dapto) - 92kms (86kms?)
Conditions: Wind (mild-medium), Drops of rain sporadically
Grade: Limit (+25mins)
Result: 70th? TBC (out of 159)
Report:

My first go at an open road race... Nice feeling, then a little excited, then a little tired, then a world of pain, followed by satisfaction. I was graded in the limit bunch (+25mins) with 13 others... We got to the line and unfortunately that number was only 6 so we were going to face a tough task in staying out there for long. Within the first couple of kms, one of the guys had enough of the slowish start and jumped off the front. We decided that he had so many kms to go that we would be better off. About 10km in our bunch was then down to 4 as one of the girls couldn’t keep the pace up over the rolling hills, and within another few kms we were down to 3 due to a puncture from one of the strong riders. Our aim was to get over the first big climb without being caught, and we did that successfully, but only by a few hundred metres. We accelerated and joined the +19min bunch. From there it was very easy, although the two girls eventually dropped off from the original bunch. We rolled as a group for another 10kms until we were caught by the +16:30min bunch. The pace accelerated and i held on as much as i could as more bunches approached. I found myself at the front of the pack at one stage and even tried to inflict a little pain on the bunch with an eastern suburbs rider but it didn't last too long... I remained in the bunch until the 45km mark when the +11min bunch broke it to pieces at the climb. I was dangling at the back after the climb but could not get in the pack enough to get sucked into the wind break. I was kicking myself for not going that little bit harder but fortunately another bunch was coming. I jumped on the tail and discovered this was the +6min bunch at the 52km mark. I jumped at the back and held on for a few kms and almost got dropped at the 180deg turn. I was last (struggling to hold on) and the slingshot out of the turn almost had me left for dead. I dug in and rejoined the bunch, but it wasn’t long until the combined scratch group (with +1.30min & 3:30min) came through. The group sat up and waited for the scratch group (not for me!!!) and the speed shot right up. I was left gasping for air as they spat me and a few others out just before the big climb on the 3rd lap 62kms. The race was over for me as i was left kicking myself again when i saw the previous bunch be caught not 2kms up the road. If i held on for just that little bit longer i could have regrouped. So it was an ITT for the next 25kms. The last bit was so hard as i did not see another rider for 15mins, and very few left on the course. The marshals packed up and left by the time i neared the finish line, so i had to remember how the course finished!

All in all it was a great first race, i learned so much and can’t wait for the next one! Looking over the stats, i could have pushed myself slightly more in the critical times (ie falling off the back) but that’s something to remember for the next one.

Stats:

dist - 86.8kms
time - 2hr 49min 15sec
speed - 30.8km/hr avg (66.6 max)
cadence - 89 avg (125 max)
heart rate - 168 HR avg (185 max)
Last edited by Strawburger on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 pm

You looked dog tired at the end, and so were the rest of us! It was fun though... :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Great riding Simon. Great writeup.

From what I observed of Limit was that there was something wrong with the dynamics and they just blew themselves apart. The rider that went off the front did nothing for himself. The reality is that limit would get caught by a faster bunch sometime so if your finding it easy you might as well stay with them and conserve some energy.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:41 am

mikesbytes wrote: From what I observed of Limit was that there was something wrong with the dynamics and they just blew themselves apart. The rider that went off the front did nothing for himself. The reality is that limit would get caught by a faster bunch sometime so if your finding it easy you might as well stay with them and conserve some energy.
I think there was a lot of varying skill levels in the bunch which didn't help. We were a small bunch and we didn't really work smart as a team either. We could have done with a few older heads in there too.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Date: 5 June 10
Venue: Heffron Pk
Conditions: Big Headwind at straight, rain in patches
Grade: C - 14 Laps
Result: 3rd!
Report:

About 1min after the warmups were done, the rain started! This held up the start by about 10 mins. A small crowd for C grade, i think there were 12 all up. The pace was on from the start and we soon shed a few riders. By the 4th lap, we were down to 6 riders - 2 Easts, RB, Waratah, Sydney & myself. There were a few attacks which didnt hold including one from a solid Easts rider which i joined for a couple of laps but we couldnt hold out. The race settled down by the 8th lap. We were all having a look at each other, taking turns at the front. The young Easts rider (under instruction from his coach) made a dash for it on the 10th lap, but his young legs couldnt power through the tough headwind and we were back together. On the 11th lap i got a tap on the back wheel by one eager rider as we were holding up in the wind. Wow did that wake me up! By the 12th lap the knees were getting sore so i though id make a break through the headwind down the straight (as you do). Noone came with me as i opened up a 50m gap. I shattered myself though and i sat up half way round. The bell lap we all looked at each other, waiting for a move... But we all knew there was no chance of making a break before the straight. I got myself in a good position as we rounded the netball courts in 3rd wheel. The solid Easts rider was 4th wheel. He jumped past me and powered along at the start of the straight. I couldnt grab his wheel and i could see a place slipping away. I dug in and eventually got past the young Easts rider with 100m to go and somehow found my sprinting legs. I wound them up and got within half a wheel of the 2nd placed Sydney rider but i left it too late. 3rd for me, a very happy chappy. Next time i should get behind the big fella for the headwind sprint!

Im still unfit and working off the pasta & pizzas but am improving with each ride. The back wheel didn't flex this time, however there was no real speed on through the corners this week (and i also added another 10psi). My family turned up with my little nephew. He drew a sign up and cheered me every lap. I loved every minute!

Stats:

dist - 28.28kms
time - 48min 37sec
speed - 34.9km/hr avg (52 max)
cadence - 91 avg (123 max)
heart rate - 175 HR avg (191 max)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Way to go !!!!!! Victory next week for you mate

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Date: 12 June 10
Venue: Wagga Wagga
Conditions: Nice and cool, northerly winds increasing through the ride
Grade: 84km - Limit +4mins (+16mins)
Result: TBC 30th? (out of 100 riders)
Report:

I headed down this weekend to participate in the Wagga Wagga McDonalds Classic weekend of racing. I was graded in the 84km event (there was also 115km event for the quick guys).

I was off limit +4mins (16mins). The bunch was full of locals with some ACT riders, female AIS riders and a handful of others. The pace was extremely fast, for the first 40 odd kms it was uphill (although it's mostly rolling hills, no climbs). The pack was well disciplined and rolled very smooth. By the 20km mark we swallowed limit and spat them out (holding onto 2 of the 8 riders). We continued out in front of the race and got to the "downhill" part after 40kms and ramped up the pace further. The pack was down to 14 riders. No sign of the other groups so we kept pressing. By the 70km mark a breakaway bunch behind were closing in to us but we held them at bay as sheer numbers cut through a headwind we encountered for 5kms much better than their small bunch of 5 riders. A slight climb with 10kms to go sorted out the pack as 2 guys attacked (both wagga riders). As it was all flat/downhill with a crosswind, the pack believed they were in for a chance, so they kept driving toward the line. I held on for as long as i could but crumbled with 7kms to go. I sat up and jumped on the breakaway bunch coming through a minute behind the lead pack until 3km to go when they went for the win. Myself and a turramurra rider were both spent and rolled in, getting swallowed by what seemed like the scratch group with 200m to go. Still, ended up with a top 30 finish (i think). The limit +4min group i started in held on for the win.

Very happy with the result. Felt good during the day and learned from the previous road race that if you put in just a little extra effort and not get dropped it pays off in the end. The mind was playing tricks asking me to give up when it got to the climbs but i had to shut that out which can be very hard. Cut just under 30mins off the time from 2 weeks ago, albeit a little more flat in this one. Was exhausted after the race but managed to ride back to wagga (just!).

Stats:

dist - 83.6kms
time - 2hr 21min 40sec
speed - 35.4km/hr avg (65.3 max) :shock:
cadence - 96 avg (125 max)
heart rate - 172 HR avg (183 max)
Last edited by Strawburger on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Date: 13 June 10
Venue: Wagga Wagga
Conditions: Freezing cold! no winds, dry
Grade: F - 25mins +3 laps
Result: 3rd :) :) :)
Report:

Criterium sunday morning. I was graded in F. 9am start, sign on at 8am. As i was warming up i noticed the grass was frozen. Large frost that morning! It took 45mins to eventually get warm, although the feet and hands were numb until 10mins into a hot shower... It was really cold!

The country boys may well be good at the open road, but they were noticeably slow taking sharp corners! I watched from the rear of the field for the first lap (25mins +3laps). It wasn't very smooth like out at Heffron. Lots of breaking into the corners... I went from the back straight to the front and tested the skills of the others. A few jumped on and we picked up the pace. The pack of 15 held on, so i slowed and jumped in midpack for a few laps. The 2 primes weren't contested and i thought that was strange. No real attacks through the first 20mins, so i had a go and tried to break the bunch. A few strong riders latched on (including the favourite who seemed to be the AIS girl). With 3 laps to go, it was all a bit tame up the front - slowing down the back straight with a nice tailwind. I attacked from midfield and yelled at the two canberra riders to jump on. They didn't but a wagga rider got on my wheel. I inflicted some pain and we broke the field up. The next two laps the wagga guy sucked my wheel, at the bell lap we were still away from the peleton so i dug in and gave it everything. On the final straight the wagga guy took off and i had no chance, so i soft pedaled into the finish beating the peleton in by about 10secs.

On finishing, my result was 3rd as a wagga rider apparently jumped at the start and put half a lap on the field (burglar!!!). He also didn't compete in yesterdays event so he was nice and fresh.

I was feeling like rubbish during the warmup, the knees weren't too good. i was about to pull out and thought i better at least do one lap... Then the competitiveness kicked in! Stoked about the third place finish - with a nice looking envelope and a photo with ronald mcdonald at the end. Very happy about the extra skills i've gained down at Heffron - without that racing i would have stood no chance in either event on the weekend.

oh, and f grade had to wait 5 1/2hrs for the presentation. :cry:

dist - 19.3kms
time - 31min 28sec
speed - 36.8km/hr avg (50 max) :shock:
cadence - 92 avg (122 max)
heart rate - 168 HR avg (183 max)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am

Date: 26 June 10
Venue: Heffron Pk
Conditions: Crosswind/Headwind on straight
Grade: C - 14 Laps
Result: 2nd :D
Report:

Another good sized field in C grade (roughly 16?) today. C grade was warned that any burglars would end up being promoted. I tucked in behind Beanzy for the first couple as he led out the group and the group was well behaved. No attacks, the first 5 riders shared the work for the first 6 or so. The going was a little slow to start so i jumped on the front and tried to lift the rate. A vocal RB rider was letting me know to slow it right down. A waratah vet then had a mini attack but it was closed down pretty quick. I dropped down the field to sit on last wheel for a lap at about lap 8 to get a breather. The vocal RB guy was setting the pace so i knew there was no chance of a break. I made my way up from last to first down the straight where there was no real pace on. I sat at the front or thereabouts for the next few laps. The tempo increased but my lap 12 chaos ensued. Some knuckle head moved the cones across the track, the first 5 riders went one way whilst a generous D grader moved the cones, the rest of the pack went around the partially cleared track. The lead 5 sat up and waited for the group to reform and the race was back on with 2 laps to go. Riders were unsure as to what will happen with the result, but raced we did. I sat near the front, making sure i didn't lose the great position i had. By the bell lap i was 3rd and not letting anyone in. At the straight i was still 3rd and the sprint started. The guy in front jumped and i held his wheel as much as i could. I passed the initial leader and dug in deep to try and hold this guy's wheel through the headwinds. I had the head down and almost ran into the finished D graders. I avoided them and kept powering through. The leader sat up with 30m to go, the crowd letting him know the race wasn't over. He reacted quickly and I jumped at the line but he still had me by half a wheel. 3rd place was well back.

Very happy with the result! My cornering needs a lot of improvement as i kept losing the wheel in front on the 90deg bends. It may be to do with the fact that i ride a different bike during the week but still i have a lot to learn with those skills.

dist - 28.28kms* (not sure on total distance due to split)
time - 48min 19sec
speed - 35.1km/hr avg (47.0 max)
cadence - 95 avg (124 max)
heart rate - 174 HR avg (196 max)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:58 pm

well done on the 2nd !
Strawburger wrote:A vocal RB rider was letting me know to slow it right down
hope you told him to either get on the front and set the pace or get stuffed :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Mate, good riding. Post some pictures once they are up on RBCC web site.

They need to have someone watching that spot, its not the first time that silly buggers have mucked around with it.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Just read JV's report with the pic and it reminded me...

official photographer wasn't there this week, here's one of the finish (with an abstract version of the lunge :lol: )

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm

you might have won if you shaved your legs :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

JV911 wrote:you might have won if you shaved your legs :D
:lol: those hairy things? it would take a week just to trim them down!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Date: 10 July 10
Venue: Mudgee 90km Mark Dwyer Handicap
Conditions: Cloudy, some cross winds.
Grade: Limit +6mins (+31mins)
Result: 71st (out of 252 riders)
Report:

My third handicap event this year and finally realise why they have the warnings at the start of the race! I was surrounded by four seperate incidents which tested the concentration.

I was off limit +6mins (31mins).The bunch was pretty big, about 30 riders. The first few kms was pretty messy, no direction and lots of braking through the pack. Once we got sorted, the rolling paceline worked well, albeit the pace was pretty slow (comparitively to the race in Wagga). The pace slowly ramped up and gradually shed the wheel suckers at the back of the pack. Incident number one was only a small one. One of the guys dropped a water bottle in front of me on the flat. No probs as the bottle flew sideways. We caught the limit bunch at about 20km I called out to a fellow DH rider to jump on as i lifted the pace on the front to grab only the strong riders from that bunch. A bathurst rider stuffed things up by jumping on the front then not rolling through which caused the bunch to slow and allow the limit riders on. Quite a few riders were not happy...

We tackled the first climb which shed a lot of the limit riders before incident number two occurred. I was at the front of the bunch on the decent but could not match the pace of the larger riders. I got dropped but not before watching a very large fellow decend at great pace get run off the road by the pack shuffling across the road. He rolled off onto the gravel and somehow kept upright. I thought he was a gonner. He rejoined the road but soon punctured. Wow! I jumped back in the pack on the next climb shortly after and resumed paceline duties. We were down to about 10 riders by this stage and kept powering on as the lead bunch.

We were caught at about the 35km mark by the limit+10min bunch and the pace jumped right up. I pulled my turns as much as i could. The guy in front of me was not doing too well and the pack let him know, so i made sure i wasn't going to fall into the same trap. Incident number 3 came about ramping the speed up. With a slight downhill, the pace pushed up to 50km/hr with the paceline. I was rolling off, the guy in front then rolled off, and as the third guy was rolling off his rear wheel made contact with the guy behind as he was coming across. The next 2 seconds i almost pooed my pants as the guy in front had the death wobbles. Somehow he stayed upright which was fortunate as the whole bunch would have gone over at high speeds. A few kms on at the 60km mark, the 4th and final incident occured during a decent. A metal bar was on the road! At 55+km/hr, the metal bar kicked up from the guy's wheel in front and hit my bike as i was 2nd wheel. Very lucky again not to go down. I lost all concentration (thinking about what could have been) and found myself within seconds falling through the paceline and being dropped. It happened so quick! I waved the commisiare's car through and settled in for a lonely ride. Pace up to this point was 36.7km/hr.

I hoped that the next bunch would come through soon as i could now feel the crosswind. I drank and ate as i sat on about 30km/hr. I kept looking over my shoulder in anticipation of the next group but there was no sight of them. I remained alone for just over 1/2hr before the next group arrived! It was a combination of a few dropped bunches so i jumped on with 15km to go. We kept the pace high at 39km/hr before i snapped off with 3km to go. I rolled home with a fellow DH rider exhausted.

Pleased with the result. Placed 5th DH rider in the group of about 12. Would have been happier if i held on to the lead bunch for longer but i would have been dropped in the last 5kms of decending anyway! Looks like i need to improve my decending skills as i cannot hold the bunch with my light weight. Even pedalling furiously i can't match a heavier rider freewheeling. Do i need to work on power for this or is it aero technique?

Stats:

dist - 88.5kms
time - 2hr 30min 42sec
speed - 35.2km/hr avg (62.7 max)
cadence - 92 avg (119 max)
heart rate - 172 HR avg (186 max)
Last edited by Strawburger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 pm

How much do you weigh?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote:How much do you weigh?
mid to late 60's. Last time i weighed myself i was 68kg a month ago, but the belt buckle is telling me i've lost a little in the last month. It's not a good indication however i know i'm not replacing the kJ's i've been burning due to the extra riding lately and being slack in snacking.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Strawburger wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:How much do you weigh?
mid to late 60's. Last time i weighed myself i was 68kg a month ago, but the belt buckle is telling me i've lost a little in the last month. It's not a good indication however i know i'm not replacing the kJ's i've been burning due to the extra riding lately and being slack in snacking.
i am 64-66kgs and have the same problem going downhill
I have to pedal my backside off and the heavier riders just roll straight past me, i can generally hold a wheel downhill though if i try hard enough
But the advantage i get up the hill well and truly makes up for the lack of downhill speed :D

Don

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Weight will have a little bit to do with, but adjusting your style on descending will help. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km