Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Date: 24th September 16
Venue: NSW Elite TT champs and masters non champs
Conditions: warm and sunny, mild
Grade: M2-3
Result: 5th, 3rd in M3

Report:

The course changed the day before race day due to flooding. I didn't really get a good look at the profile nor the wind conditions so I was just going out to do a good time with the data that I had.

Once on course, I couldn't find a good rhythm. It was either up or down with not much flats. Talking to the other competitors they found the same issue. I may have red lined too early as the lungs weren't bringing in enough air. The legs were fine though!

Pushed through the pain and ended up just shy of 39km/h. Not a bad hit out but I'd want to improve for next week!

dist - 24.8kms
time - 33min 21sec
speed - 38.9 km/hr avg (60.6 km/hr max)
cadence - 94 avg (107 max)
heart rate - 176 HR avg (181 max)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Date: 25th September 16
Venue: Goulburn Great Divide
Conditions: cold and windy
Grade: C
Result: 20th /38, bunch

2 laps of a course covering this years TT course and last years TT course. Flattish, windy and some lumps in parts. My aim was to remain upright and to get a decent workout for next week.

Lap 1 was a snooze fest! I was controlling the pace with a Marconi rider for the majority of the out section, the wind on our backs. A breakaway had established and so I decided to chase it down, once Marconi rolled off the front.

Into the wind on the return and I disappeared to midfield. The pace was so slow, we were doing 20km/hr in parts. I said to my DH teammate that I was getting bored. He said "remember what you told me, no attacks today". I'm a man of my words ;)

On the turn around for the 2nd lap, 4 riders attacked and gained 20sec on the bunch. 2 Manly riders, a RBCC and an unbranded rider. By about 5kms into the out section at the base of the hill, I made my way to the front and attacked. What can I say, my legs were itching!!! I quickly bridged and on the crest the group rolled turns. The unbranded rider was dropped, so we were down to 4 sydney riders. We worked hard and started to establish a decent lead. On our surprise, a Bankstown (and regular forum member) also had bridged. Up to 5, we rolled turns and looked the goods. Unfortunately just on approach to the turn around point, we were caught. We survived for 17kms... Not to be. I rolled back and met up with my DH teammate. Without saying a word I burst into laughter. Yeah sorry, just had to do something :)

It was a tame affair on the return. I got out of the way and decided preservation was in order. Why is it that when you're most worried of something happening that something is close to happening???

Firstly, A Waratahs rider was swaying in the wind. He bumped into my arm, fortunately no harm done.

Secondly, a Marconi rider decided to unload the contents of his nostrils into my face. Thanks champ, really appreciated it. Have a look at the wind direction next time!

Lastly, some SCC riders decided that it was far more important to fiddle with gadgets rather than ride in a bunch. Seriously guys, keep the cameras for the coffee rides. You know who you are. One is on this forum. They were all over the place, couldn't keep a straight line and were constantly heads down looking at their cameras/computers. I am surprised they didn't cause a crash. It got close on a number of occasions. It's a pity they didn't show their sloppy bike handling skills in their edited video... The bunch was not impressed at all so if you're reading this, leave the cameras at home next time.

I sat on the back for the rest of the ride, observing and anticipating crash situations. The bunch sprint came and went. I rolled in mid pack with plenty left in the legs.

dist - 95.5kms
time - 2hr 38min 05sec
speed - 36.3 km/hr avg (64.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 87 avg (120 max)
heart rate - 160 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 218NP

... Told you it was slow!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:46 am

Date: 1st October 16
Venue: Masters National Championships Road Race Griffith
Conditions: windy
Grade: M3
Result: 19th

The big one, and it doesn't get much bigger than this! Lots of prep went into the race and having raced here in the state champs the previous 2 years at least I knew the course well. My aim was to finish, all previous efforts have ended in a humiliation and a DNF next to my name. Having gone up one age group, I thought I may have a chance... Looking at the riders listed though; Milostic, Leaper, Gray, East, Neppl and trek52 to name just a few; the quality of the field was awesome and the chance to finish was slim.

On the start line I was recognising some faces from previous state opens, unfortunately in handicaps and them giving me a 10 min start. All real big strong men, no climbers physiques like mine. Hmm, going to be tough! 5 laps of 17kms, generally flat with a 4km uphill finish. Wind on the course would mean calculating efforts and positioning myself out of that.

After a slow neutral, we were off proper. I drifted back to my usual position near the rear to scope things out. The speed was gentle through the headwind and the race didn't really ignite until the end of the headwind section. Some attacks to establish a breakaway were tried but not successful.

Fast forward to the uphill section of the first lap. This is when the race exploded. Riders popping off the back pretty quickly. I was in a bad spot, bridging gaps and going around slower riders. Nearing the crest and with the leaders not far off, all those micro efforts paid a price and I too were popped off the back. Damn...

So in previous years I'd chased and blew up. Lesson learnt! This year I sat up, acknowledged I can't do it by myself and waited for a few riders to join me. A group of 4 joined and we rolled at a decent pace, keeping the main group in sight. We weren't gaining though and sure enough, by lap 2 they were gone.

On completion of lap 2, riders were stepping off their bikes. The 4 of us kept going. We started picking up other dropped riders and by lap 3 we had a group of 8.

One rider decided to attack us for 2kms, then drop back and not work, then do it all again and again. Quite strange. He didn't last and got dropped after the completion of the lap.

I was thinking I felt good and I can now make it to the finish if i can make it to the end of lap 4... We now had a group of 10 and we were working well, nice and smooth and rolling turns.

We picked up the bell lap, even if I rolled by myself I would finish. Goal completed! We kept rolling turns, with 4kms to go two guys attacked. The rest turned to each other with confused looks. Each to their own. It didn't feel right to take off, we fought hard together so I wanted to finish with the group.

We rolled over the line about 7mins down on the winner as a group, after a cheeky sprint finish by everyone.

dist - 84.6kms
time - 2hr 12min 56sec
speed - 39.1 km/hr avg (62.6 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg (119 max)
heart rate - 172 HR avg (188 max)
Power - 235NP

Pics to follow

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:47 am

Date: 3rd October 16
Venue: Masters National Championships ITT, Griffith
Conditions: windy
Result: 12th

Looking back at results of the national ITT, I've always come last or thereabouts. I was feeling good and with a bit of focused training I was hoping for something better than 18th from 19 starters.

It was a hot field again this year, with favourite Milostic backing up from a crit victory the day before. Why do I mention him all the time? Well, I use his results as a benchmark for myself. Not that I will ever match him, but he really is a consistent performer and I can rely on his time as being a good marker as to what the best is.

The course is slightly different from the state champs, instead of a T shaped course, it was a reverse L. Same 4km uphill finish as the road race though. My previous best avg speed is 38km/hr so I wanted to beat that.

So I was off and I was feeling great. I held back the tendency to overcook the start and settled into a decent tuck. The side winds made it hard to hold onto the bike on the way down the hill. I had a few nervous moments at 60km/hr!!! Once on the flats and into the wind, I got into a good rhythm. At the 7km mark, the guy behind me flew past. Damn, need to pick up the pace :oops:

I kept going strong and soon was approaching my 1min marker. At the turn point, the lungs were burning but the legs were fantastic. The tail winds were giving me a boost, looking over the back markers, no one else was near me. A feeling I rarely get!

At the 4km to go and ramping up, I shot past my minute marker and kept going hard. I was out of the saddle on the steep bits and tucking in where possible. The heart was pumping, the legs were burning and the vomit was starting. With a km to go, I threw everything I had at the hill, I crested and with the momentum I'd just barely made it over the line exhausted.

Checked the time and couldn't believe I cracked the 40km/hr barrier. The results were published and ended up an honourable 12th, 3 mins behind winner Milostic and beating some of my more fancied opponents. To put that time into perspective, I went back over previous results. In 2012 I was 9 mins slower than Milostic, in 2014 I was 6mins slower. So does that mean in 2018 I will win???!!! Hahaha doubt it, but I'm stoked with the improvements.

dist - 17.8kms
time - 26min 37sec
speed - 40.1 km/hr avg (60.2 km/hr max)
cadence - 94 avg (110 max)
heart rate - 178 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 269NP

Pics to follow

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 am

Season is done and dusted now. Went in for my annual MAP test / FTP assessment and gained an extra 5 watts. Hit a PB with 5min power too, was sure I reached my ceiling but looks like I still have a bit of headroom in that department. Happy with that!

Next year will be all about improving the TTing I think. Need to get the TT FTP near the road bike FTP. Still haemorrhaging watts on the TT bike.

Overall a very successful year and it will be hard to better for 2017!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Well done Strawburger. I saw you from a distance at sign on for the RR but didn't get to say hi. My season is also finished and I am barely even riding - it feels great. Great season by you should must be happy!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm

40.1kph over that ITT course is dam good. You have improved a lot, I recall you did 40.0kph in Victoria on a much faster course

Wondering if the guy who attacked your road bunch was thinking that he could bridge the gap solo?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Milostic who initiated the attack up the hill.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 am

ft_critical wrote:Well done Strawburger. I saw you from a distance at sign on for the RR but didn't get to say hi. My season is also finished and I am barely even riding - it feels great. Great season by you should must be happy!
Yeah, I'm barely riding too, the bike has been in the bag since the nationals and no sign of it coming out. Feels good to reset the brain and get it prepared for next year! Now that I have time to reflect on the season, I had a great one, full of highs and lows but learnt a lot. Looking forward to next year, not sure how I'm going to top this year though... Hopefully see you at a race soon!
Last edited by Strawburger on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:02 am

mikesbytes wrote:40.1kph over that ITT course is dam good. You have improved a lot, I recall you did 40.0kph in Victoria on a much faster course

Wondering if the guy who attacked your road bunch was thinking that he could bridge the gap solo?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Milostic who initiated the attack up the hill.
Cheers Mike. There was no way of bridging the gap, if he could have he should have been in the lead group in the first place I reckon. Those boys up front were in a different league.

Funny, Milostic was riding with me at the back for a while, he quickly got to the front and was well placed when the hammer went down. In hindsight I should have followed his wheel. He would have been one of the riders instigating for sure. trek52 would know more, we was up there when it happened.

GJM

Postby GJM » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:05 pm

End of season?
No ToB this year?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:18 pm

GJM wrote:End of season?
No ToB this year?
Yeh its about time he embraces the track
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Hahaha, optimistic thinking Mike! Although I'm considering a better go at the track champs this year (best not tell the wife :) )

No Bright this year for me. I alternate between the Nationals and Tour of Bright, this year was the Nats.

I find with Bright, the season becomes super extended (2 weeks off season) as training for april's hillclimb champs start in late December.

I've packed on 2 kgs already and the race bike is still in its bag from the long weekend in October!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 am

3rd yesterday Simon?
My brother 2nd in your div. Hes just fresh off winning the National Title in the Points Race and has a very good road sprint. So you must be going well mate, really well. Congratulations.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Cheers DD. Yeah bagged 3rd. Put a bit of hurt in those who dared chased me. Wasn't there for the win yesterday, more for the suffering. Could not keep with Neil, once he threw his hands in the drops I was left behind!

I'll throw my report in this week, along with the track stuff :)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Catching up on some old reports. Here's the track state champs from a couple of months ago

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Date: 18th February 17
Venue: NSW Masters individual pursuit, Dunc Gray Velodrome
Conditions: warm to hot
Grade: Masters 3 3000m / 12laps
Result: 4th :)
Report:

12 laps of pain, up against quality competition and seeded last. I'd be happy to better my ride from last year, considering I've done practically no training for the event and not asking for any assistance either that goal would be hard to achieve. On a positive though I scored myself a proper track frame which allows me to get in the same position as my road TT bike.

My 14 cog would not stay on my disc wheel during warm ups, so tail between my legs I asked Marcus if he had a spare. He kindly offered his spare and I was out of trouble!

On to the warmup... Hmm, I struggled getting on the rollers. Once going I was fine. But the start/stop really threw me! Sweat was pouring off and I was hardly putting any effort in. I really under did my warmup. 3 mins to go and I was up the back straight waiting for my turn to race. The guy from Vikings on the finishing straight looked good. I hoped not to get caught by the pursuiter!

Not much to describe about the race itself. I went out hard at the start, hoping to put a decent first kilo in and hang on. The body felt good after the first kilo and I was actually in front of the other rider. The 2nd kilo hurt and I started wobbling around the track. Still in front! By the 2500m I had the other rider in sight, barring a crash or mech, I had not come last. The legs were screaming to stop, but I held my nerve. I crossed the line and looked at the board: 3:51.5, smashed last years time by a massive 6 sec. Happy days!

I sat in 1st whilst the heats went. With the top 4 still to ride, I was in 1st. Then the next lot went through and took 1st and 2nd. I started packing up when the top seeds were on the track. All throughout the first 2kilos they were taking 1st and 2nd spot. Then something happened to the 2nd seed. He popped. Lap 9 he dropped a spot... 3rd, then 4th at lap 10... By lap 12 he dropped to 6th. Then the penny dropped... I had to unpack and ride again!

dist - 3kms
time - 3min 51.501sec
speed - 46.6 km/hr avg (53.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 105 avg (128 max)
heart rate - 181 HR avg (188 max)
Kilos - 1:17, 1:16, 1:18

Bronze medal ride-off:

I was up against last years winner. I know him fairly well, enough to hold a decent conversation with him. I beat him in the road stuff, he beats me in the track stuff. His qualifying time was a massive 10sec better than mine. How could I gain that much in only 2hrs legally?

I rested and got some food in. I'd been at the track all day and my event was one of the last to go. It was not planned to be here this long.

I had a new game plan. Go faster :) well, a bit more than that but you know what I mean. To gain 10sec is near impossible so I thought if I don't get caught in the first kilo then it's all good.

I was off and i felt OK. I went out really hard and in the first 750m I was matching him. That's when I started to feel the agony... My lap times started to blow out as my opponent ramped it up. +2 sec, +3sec, +4sec, +7sec caught!

Oh well, made it just on 8laps. Happy with that considering it was my 3rd ever pursuit.

dist - 2kms
time - 2:32 ish
speed - 47.5 km/hr avg (53.0 km/hr max)
cadence - 105 avg (120 max)
heart rate - 180 HR avg (186 max)
Kilos - 1:17, 1:16

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Date: 19th February 17
Venue: NSW Masters team pursuit, Dunc Gray Velodrome
Conditions: warm
Grade: Masters 150+ 2000m / 8laps
Result: 6th
Report:

After a good warmup and a delay in proceedings (an early crash on passing meant teams were run individually), we were up. No handlers so we asked whoever was near the start line to help out. I was off last as I was using 103 gear inches. 8 laps / 2kms of agony ahead :)

We jumped out of the blocks pretty smooth, Mark started well. Mark rolled off after 1 lap. Craig was next with his one lap. Then Peter, new to our team and new to the track with his lap. I did my turn comfortably. We continued with full laps on the 2nd rotation. I was feeling great but only had 3/4 of a lap to finish. We finished 2:37, just under 8 sec off bronze ride-off. Same time as last year! First outing and good practice for the road TTT. Not setting any records with that time though!

dist - 2kms
time - 2min 37sec
speed - 46 km/hr avg (53 km/hr max)
cadence - 97 avg (112 max)
heart rate - 169 HR avg (181 max)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

Nice work with the IP mate. Really good consistent lap times. Great stuff.

TP - 103 ? That's a bit big !! My ladies team did 2:36 on 96, and Neils team rode 98. My all-age team of Butler, Jewel, Hennessy and Oyston who have won Nationals twice only use 102.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks Marcus!

Hahaha, yeah, 103 wasn't deliberate. I didn't have a 14 sproket that would stay on the disc wheel. It was either a 13 or a 15. I went with the bigger gear! Being a roadie, I thought it was better to grind than to spin.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am

Strawburger wrote:Date: 18th February 17
Venue: NSW Masters individual pursuit, Dunc Gray Velodrome
Conditions: warm to hot
Grade: Masters 3 3000m / 12laps
Result: 4th :)
Report:

12 laps of pain, up against quality competition and seeded last. I'd be happy to better my ride from last year, considering I've done practically no training for the event and not asking for any assistance either that goal would be hard to achieve. On a positive though I scored myself a proper track frame which allows me to get in the same position as my road TT bike.

My 14 cog would not stay on my disc wheel during warm ups, so tail between my legs I asked Marcus if he had a spare. He kindly offered his spare and I was out of trouble!

On to the warmup... Hmm, I struggled getting on the rollers. Once going I was fine. But the start/stop really threw me! Sweat was pouring off and I was hardly putting any effort in. I really under did my warmup. 3 mins to go and I was up the back straight waiting for my turn to race. The guy from Vikings on the finishing straight looked good. I hoped not to get caught by the pursuiter!

Not much to describe about the race itself. I went out hard at the start, hoping to put a decent first kilo in and hang on. The body felt good after the first kilo and I was actually in front of the other rider. The 2nd kilo hurt and I started wobbling around the track. Still in front! By the 2500m I had the other rider in sight, barring a crash or mech, I had not come last. The legs were screaming to stop, but I held my nerve. I crossed the line and looked at the board: 3:51.5, smashed last years time by a massive 6 sec. Happy days!

I sat in 1st whilst the heats went. With the top 4 still to ride, I was in 1st. Then the next lot went through and took 1st and 2nd. I started packing up when the top seeds were on the track. All throughout the first 2kilos they were taking 1st and 2nd spot. Then something happened to the 2nd seed. He popped. Lap 9 he dropped a spot... 3rd, then 4th at lap 10... By lap 12 he dropped to 6th. Then the penny dropped... I had to unpack and ride again!

dist - 3kms
time - 3min 51.501sec
speed - 46.6 km/hr avg (53.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 105 avg (128 max)
heart rate - 181 HR avg (188 max)
Kilos - 1:17, 1:16, 1:18

Bronze medal ride-off:

I was up against last years winner. I know him fairly well, enough to hold a decent conversation with him. I beat him in the road stuff, he beats me in the track stuff. His qualifying time was a massive 10sec better than mine. How could I gain that much in only 2hrs legally?

I rested and got some food in. I'd been at the track all day and my event was one of the last to go. It was not planned to be here this long.

I had a new game plan. Go faster :) well, a bit more than that but you know what I mean. To gain 10sec is near impossible so I thought if I don't get caught in the first kilo then it's all good.

I was off and i felt OK. I went out really hard and in the first 750m I was matching him. That's when I started to feel the agony... My lap times started to blow out as my opponent ramped it up. +2 sec, +3sec, +4sec, +7sec caught!

Oh well, made it just on 8laps. Happy with that considering it was my 3rd ever pursuit.

dist - 2kms
time - 2:32 ish
speed - 47.5 km/hr avg (53.0 km/hr max)
cadence - 105 avg (120 max)
heart rate - 180 HR avg (186 max)
Kilos - 1:17, 1:16

Well done mate but ya shoulda had this in the Track section though. :wink:

That State Forest on ya legs woulda held ya back. :lol: :lol:

You should have been able to take a lot away from this meet and build on it for next year. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Date: 26th March 17
Venue: Berrima invitational
Conditions: not raining!
Grade: div3
Result: 3rd /21
Report:

A last minute addition to the calendar, I would use this race as a "leg opener" for next week's hillclimb champs. Div 3 was about right, with div 1 and 2 filled with the elite and u23 racers.

So, after a number of compliments on my car (and only one on my leg hair :lol: ) we were off and racing. Neil (derny driver's brother) and I were having a chat pre race, Neil is in hot form after taking some track titles recently. He would be one to watch. Some young whipper snappers in the race too, plus some that I can easily out climb.

The first lap was fairly fast but sedate at the same time. No breakaways worthy of mentioning, I did close down a couple after trying to counter :oops:. I found myself at the front of the climbs, at one point distancing the bunch without much effort, by the looks of it I could outdo most come finish time. I eyed a spot to attack on the second lap and held in the bunch until then. It was all about next week so I wanted an attack that would last about 10 mins.

Mid second lap I was gas bagging to Neil, casually when changing rings my chain dropped. Damn! About the same spot as last year! This time I calmly pulled the chain catcher aside, guided the chain back on and chased back. Many matches were burnt and about 3 minutes of chasing... I caught up to Neil and continued the conversation :)

The descents were fast, I found myself mid bunch coming up to my "attack point". I got to the front and held a decent speed up a short rise. The bunch slowed and a gap of about 3 lengths opened up. I decided to go. Out of the saddle I went hard. I looked behind and saw only a handful were chasing. I kept the power in check and continued to distance the bunch. At the crest I still had a gap but it was closing, at the bottom of the descent with 2km to go (uphill finish), they caught me. A young whipper snapper passed me, then Neil and a couple of other riders. I was 5th and being distanced by about 30m.

My experience told me that they would pop, and as I patiently tapped out a reasonable wattage to get me to the line, one by one I passed all but two. I got beside Neil with 100m to go. He got into the drops and sprinted for the line. I had no reply. I crossed the line 3rd with distance to 4th.

One too many matches burnt but happy with my form.

dist - 44.4kms
time - 1hr 18min 08sec
speed - 34.1 km/hr avg (72.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg (125 max)
heart rate - 166 HR avg (188 max)
Power - 244w NP

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Sounds like ya have improved greatly. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks foo!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 am

Lots of reports to catch up on. No photos for any of them yet!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 am

Date: 1st April 17
Venue: NSW Hillclimbing Championships
Conditions: cool, sunny
Result: 4th / 16
Report:

A red hot field in today's outing. My goal was to get a 9:xx in the strava segment, which would be a 10:05 official time or thereabouts. On previous results, that may bag a medal, but on the riders in the field that would be a stretch. I was seeded first so I was last to go.

A decent warmup resulted in my legs still feeling a bit dead. They just wouldn't open up. I tried to forget that and ride to the race plan.

The opening km was ok, but the brain needed to convince the legs to go harder. a flattish section, this is where I lose most of my time to my opponents. The 2nd km of about 5% grade saw a rider behind me (different division?) come up behind me and got by my side, I was pushing hard but it was still an unconvincing km by my books. The 3rd km the legs finally came good. This section suits the tiny riders like myself, averaging 10% and pinches of 16-18%. I distanced the rider behind me and tore up that section up in less than 3mins. Happy days.

The final km or so was rolling, generally flat. I gave it everything I had left which was not much. I crossed the line and gave a huge bellow of agony, so loud that the competitors all looked around wondering if I was ok!

Results were live (finally cnsw has changed their timing chips hoorah!) so no hanging around for 3hrs. 4th at 10:05 and missed out on bronze by 2 sec. Plugged the ride into strava and looks like I cracked the 10min mark after 6 years of trying! Bittersweet nonetheless as with a time like that I would have liked a medal.

Edit: After checking the official results the next day, looks like a rider was forgotten and took the silver, so 5th place for me.

Edit 2: a guy at work challenged me to get under 10min, a cracking bottle of red was the prize. The photo is below of the win!

dist - 4.2kms
time - 9min 59 sec (official time 10:05)
speed - 25.2km/hr avg (50.1 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg (115 max)
heart rate - 182 HR avg (190 max)
Power - lots :)