Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 am

Returned to racing, it was the last night of RAW and though technically 3 days within the racing ban period, I didn't want to miss the last day. Prior to the race I had done;
Sunday: 196k hilly ride on a TT bike
Monday - Friday morning: 8 spin classes and commuting
Tuesday: Work function
So not surprisingly the results reflected accordingly

RAW Div 2 Friday 16th September
Warmup scratch race
DNF – got dropped after the rider in front of me blew up, leaving me to fight with the wind before giving up. But only 5 riders out of 26 finished

Point a lap
There was a split and I decided to stay behind the 2 riders in front of me and let them fix the problem, but they didn’t

Combined – fastest group
This time when I caught behind the split, I decided to overtake and bridge the gap which I did, but there was only one lap left so no time to recover. Finished 7th, but at least I wasn’t dropped

Here's David (Bigfriendlyvegan), who got a certificate for completing all rounds of RAW

Saturday I did another 2 spin classes taking it to 10

Southern Cross Cup, Sunday morning 18th September 2011 Eastern Creek Raceway – A grade
Realised early on that my legs weren’t good, so I sat on the bunch for the race and didn’t contest the sprint. I estimated the average at 40.5kph, but I didn't stop my computer. I see that EON has estimated 41kph and 60k. I definitely went over the 70 minutes before the bell lap, I'm not sure if 60k is dividable by the length of the circuit, but we definitely did more laps than normal.

Afterwards I rode the M7 with Mark L from my club and 4 other riders

So I didn’t set the world on fire, but at least I’m back to it....
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:48 am

mikesbytes wrote:So I didn’t set the world on fire, but at least I’m back to it....
You are looking leaner than a racing snake! All those km's are shedding anything that resembles fat from your body.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm probably in better shape than any other year, but there's room for improvement

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Congrats Mike, BFG and the rest of Dulwich on another RAW win!
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Calga ITT - Sunday 2nd October 2011

The change of daylight savings wasn't going to deter us. I packed the bike in the car and drove over to the north side to pick up David. As soon as we hit St Leonards the heavens opened up, we kept driving and then pulled the pin at Turramurra and went to the coffee shop that NSCC frequents. Enjoyed breakfast, chatted to the 2 NSCC riders that turned up and then headed home, putting our unused bikes back where they came from.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Thursday 6th Oct 2011

Australian Masters Individual Time Trail Championship - Ballarat - 18.6k

Place: 13th
Time: 27:51.91
Behind winner: 2M6.31S (6.8 seconds per K)
Average speed: 40.0kph

The race was basically 10k out with a light tailwind, semi down hill, chuck a u'ie and come back 8.6k, semi up hill, light headwind to finish at the same altitude.

With those kinds of conditions, you felt so good going out, keeping the speed largely in the mid 40's, hitting 51.8kph on the bigger of the dowhills, but I went out a little too hard and paid for it on the return leg, blowing up with about 5k to go, I even hit 29kph momentarily on one hill. Had to dig real deep to get over those last few K's. End result was that I had been overtaken by one rider and had not overtaken any riders. The limitations had been glute and hipflexor strength, though VO2max wasn't that far away. In hindsight I ran my seat a tad too high, where my legs weren't use to driving from, perhaps 5mm lower would of been good. I felt quite comfortable at the front, I don't know if my handlebars were correct height or not, I hadn't had any photos on this bike to review, however my teammate said it looked right.

This was my fastest ITT, looking at my history its;
Oct 2009 World Master Games ITT 35.97kph
July 2010 MCCC ITT 36.1kph
Aug 2010 NSW ITT champs 36.8kph
Jun 2011 ATTA ITT 38.25kph
Jun 2011 NSW ITT champs 37.6kph (not 100% sure as distance is unclear)
Jul 2011 ATTA ITT 37.39kph
Oct 2011 Australian ITT champs 40.0kph

All of the courses are different except for the 2 done at ATTA. I would say that the Aug 2010 NSW ITT champs was the fastest circuit, being downhill and Today's Aust ITT champs was on a similar speed course to the one I did the 2009 World Master Games on. So in 2 years I've done 7 ITT's and I can see a solid improvement.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Friday 7th October 2011

Australian Masters Criterion Championship
Course was a bit like Centennial Park Grand Pde, except it was narrow, bumpy and with some corners.
30min + 2 laps
Every lap there were breakaway attempts, I was in many of them but not all. At the 21 minute mark one rider went off the front and no one reacted, I was in about 3rd wheel, a hole opened up in front of me and I was off, bridged to the other rider and we worked together. I felt I was a tad stronger than him but he was super eager and took turns before he needed to. We didn't get a big enough gap, so I felt that it would be eventually doomed. Back in the pack the were doing a paceline for a bit.

At the 30 minute mark we crossed the line and got the 2 lap board, the pack caught us about 400mtrs later, it had broken into 2 pieces but soon grouped again. There was a lot of argy bargy, riders hitting each other, one rider ended up on the wrong side of the barriers, but somehow no one fell off.

On the last lap, I failed to find a way thru, not getting far enough up the pack to have a go at the sprint, it was way too narrow, so rolled over the line in the bunch - ST as the winner.

The winner was the QLD dude who I piped by one point for bronze at the Aussie points race.

Average speed 42kph

vander

Postby vander » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Unlucky Mike, can only think what would of happened if you were at the front.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Sunday 8th October

Australian Masters Road Race Championship

Lap 1 - Pace started off pretty easy, one hot head tried to do it solo a couple of K out, ignored then followed by 2 other riders. At about the 1/2 lap point they were swallowed. Easy pace on hills.
Lap 2 - We caught M1, who had a 5 minute start on us after 23k, they neturalised M1 so we could pass. What on earth was M1 doing
Lap 3 - A 3 man breakaway appeared, I tried to bridge with another rider but blew. 2 riders got over to the breakaway. Later I had a solid attempt to go solo across to the breakaway and decided otherwise about half way across.
Lap 4 - Was hot and I was a bit spent from my attempt, we almost caught the breakaway
Lap 5 - Caught the breakaway early on, then the pace slowed down a lot, though it doesn't show in the timings as it was hot over the last 5k. I didn't feel confident with the jostling for road position and finished in the bunch - ST as the winner.

Official Timings
Lap 1 - 25:10
Lap 2 - 23:34
Lap 3 - 23:33
Lap 4 - 23:03
Lap 5 - 23:22
Total: 1:58:40
Distance: 78.5k
Average: 39.6kph

My speedo said 79.1k Average 40.0

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 am

You might be looking good for a good result in the Grafton Mike?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 am

Saturday 8th?

Nice ride. How many were in your bunch? Shame you couldn't contest the finish.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:46 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You might be looking good for a good result in the Grafton Mike?

Foo
I'm entered, though I've only done one real training ride for it, so will be interesting

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:51 pm

sogood wrote:Saturday 8th?

Nice ride. How many were in your bunch? Shame you couldn't contest the finish.
33 off memory. Just didn't feel comfortable contesting, my crash in July seems of taken the edge off my aggression

Chuck

Re:

Postby Chuck » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Image
toolonglegs, mikesbytes, sogood
:D

Just taking a look through this thread. It's interesting to read how you've progressed Mike and also TLL's contributions when he was living and racing regularly in Sydney. 8)
FPR Ragamuffin

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Yeh, the thread started in the early days of my racing, it was initially about a 3 race strategy for TTL and myself, and evolved into a race log. I seem to improve about 1kph per year.

Sunday 9th October 2011

Cootamundra Club Handicap - 27k undulating with 2 hills of note - out and back

about 14 coota riders plus Mark from my club and myself

Went off scratch, one minute behind block with one other rider. We were chasing 4 riders in block, but it was pretty obvious a couple of K's out that my legs hadn't recovered from Yesterdays Aussie road race in Ballarat and I was dropped on a uphill bit. Making it a solo effort. I put some effort in and for a while I was matching the other scratchie, but eventually faded and he pulled away from me. As I approached the halfway point I saw the other riders going the other way, so I knew what was required. The scratch guy had passed one rider and was closing in on block, who had grown to 6 riders. I saw I could catch the other rider, so I screamed down the hill, did the u'ie at the bottom and powered up it and a silly fast pace, over the top and the ITT flag went up, I was screaming. To protect the tired legs the cadence was up a bit higher than normal, about 130rpm. Powering along I could see a rider in the distance and I was going heaps faster, I closed in and passed but it wasn't the guy I was chasing. Powering on I got closer to the finish and then with 2k to go I suddenly lost 8kph, my legs had blown for the second time, I stood up grabbed another gear, put 4k back on, sat and got the other 4k back, rolling over the line second to last, but what a blast.

Then off for the much more important 'coffee' debrief

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:32 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Yeh, the thread started in the early days of my racing, it was initially about a 3 race strategy for TTL and myself, and evolved into a race log. I seem to improve about 1kph per year.
I'm guessing that when you started this thread you'd just moved up to club C and were doing a mix of vets C and B ? Now you're riding vets A. Are you riding club A also ?
FPR Ragamuffin

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:46 pm

I started in club C.

Apart from Vets and DHBC, I have only ridden one club race this year, which I rode club B and found it easy, though next time I think I'll bump myself to club A. I guess the way to see it is club B and its going for the win where club A is more about training for the NSW and Aust calendar.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 am

Well next Saturday I'm doing the Grafton to Inverall - Australia's toughest one day road race.

So last week I had a heavy schedule in the lead up, 13 spin classes, 170k bike commuting and 330k for the weekend.

Saturday morning I did the 13th spin class, rode home from the gym and had breakfast, with my mate Mark, who made me brekie while I showered, then we headed off to Bundanoon, we rode back roads to riverwood where we took the motorway to an exit about 10 before Campbelltown, as bikes have been banned from that part of the motorway while roadworks occur. Iced coffee in Macauther, then on to Picton for lunch, where we bumped into to other DHBC riders who were also riding to Bundanoon, but they were just finishing their lunch and left before us. It was pretty obvious that I was tried as Mark marched away from me on the hills and as we got closer to Borwal, the roles changed, Mark was struggling due to his left ITB. We went to the supermarket in Borwal to get denarub and then proceeded at a real slow pace to Bundanoon. I had my clothes strapped in a bag under my seat, while Mark had his in a backpack, so I took his backpack as I didn't want it to distract him from his ITB.

Sunday was the DHBC Imperial fixie century, there were 18 starters for it (plus one driver), but one was pregnant and only intended to ride the first 20k
Mark had decided to ride half way to Wollongong at a real slow pace. We rode off at a nice semi slow tempo, stopping to wait at the tops of hills and then had to wait forever for someone to fix a flat, I also found out at this point that a cow jumped the fence and chased a rider. Morning tea at Robinson pie shop, the Macquarie pass.

I was screaming down Macquaire Pass, the improvements I had made to my fixie were doing a treat and the pro2race tyres gave me real confidence, I was quicker despite using 78" this year, vs 81" last year, then I went into a 35kph corner at about 50kph and the chain jumped off locking the rear wheel. Luckily I already had the front brake lightly pressed and hit it real hard, washing about 20 off, so I hit the deck at about 30kph, landing on my back.

The injury list is;
- lower back (spine) really sore, there was a monster energy drink (not opened) in my middle pocket
- back of right hip, I crushed my phone
- right shoulder, one of the muscles is complaining a lot
- numerous small grazes, all minor

Took about 15 minutes for a group of us to figure out how to dislodge the chain, in the end I had to place the fixie spanner underneath it and kick it

Rode on to Wollongong at about 20kph, had lunch (including beer) and caught the train home.

In total 8 riders didn't finish the century for various reasons

I'm real sore today, which is not surprising. I had previously culled my spin classes for this week, taking it down to 6, but I've got 3 more covered now, so that reduces it to 3 for this week prior to the grafton.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:44 am

Ouch on the crash. Take it real easy and trust that they'll heal quickly before Grafton. Have you considered using any of the ointments or getting a massage? Might help with the bruises and improve the recovery.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 am

Which ointments?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Hirudoid for a start to help with those bruises. Otherwise many others have soothing benefits.

othy

Postby othy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Crash sucks, glad its not too bad. Looked like a nice day for a ride. I suggest beer for its soothing benefits.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

othy wrote:Crash sucks, glad its not too bad. Looked like a nice day for a ride. I suggest beer for its soothing benefits.
Lacey and I had beers at Wollongong before catching the train. If I was riding back to Sydney I wouldn't of had the beers.

Alex C also had to cut it short after having an accident on Wollongong bike path

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Grafton grades are out;

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... on%202.pdf

110 in A
56 in B
147 in C
Total 313

I'm in C

Last year there was A,B,C,D. I was in D and came 40th out of 109

The woman's A grade race has 14, but its part of the points series. B grade has only 8 and 7 of those are local.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

What happened to D grade?