Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Saturday 20th March 2010

Dulwich Hill Ominum - Tempe Velodrome

This was the long awaited 80 inch omium. Technically we were restricted to 81 inch.

I was placed in A grade, the next oldest competitor in A grade was 13 years younger than me.

10 Lap Scratch Race
4th. Although I was on the wheel of 3rd place I really just trailed him in, there wasn't a real glimmer of hope of me getting on the podium.

Miss-em-Out / Motorpace
2nd. The combination of 3rd in the miss-em-out and 3rd in the final motorpace sprint gave me 2nd overall

Madison Points
1st. Teamed up with John, he had to teach me to do madison swings before. We seemed to get the jump on the other teams quite often and John did a good job in the first 2 sprints and I took the 3rd sprint. For the 4th sprint we had a handy lead, so I left John out there, but 2 other riders worked together and caught him. In hindsight I should of taken over from john on the final lap and done all all out sprint for the line. But we had accumulated enough points to win.

Afterwards I had 4 beers and an unknown quantity of Pizza. There was a question as to whether my gearing was correct, I've checked the chainring and its correct. I'll check the rear sprocket once the beers have worn off, if its wrong I'll disqualify myself :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Well done Mike. I am going to try to sample the delights of track later this year. So all that you write will make much more sense to me. :oops:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:00 pm

ft_critical wrote:Well done Mike. I am going to try to sample the delights of track later this year. So all that you write will make much more sense to me. :oops:
Are you in NSCC ? there's a couple of trackies there, the names escape me but I'll remember.

micklan

Postby micklan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Dear Mike

Its a good avatar shot. :D I took that head stand photo of you at sutho 7/11, the opposition leader was riding with us that day and he never stopped talking, even when riding alone. :mrgreen:

BTW - wheres all the 2010 missing goal ? :?:

Now that the beers have worn off will you now disqualify yourself from the Omnium? :twisted:
som dai na khrap....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:55 pm

micklan wrote:I took that head stand photo of you at sutho 7/11
Is that why its upside down :wink:
micklan wrote:BTW - wheres all the 2010 missing goal ? :?:
I was hoping to win "Beer a lap" this year
micklan wrote:Now that the beers have worn off will you now disqualify yourself from the Omnium? :twisted:
Still haven't pulled the wheel out to count the teeth on the cog.

BTW all the best with MCCC Crit, be the fox :)

micklan

Postby micklan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 am

That MCCC crit was an odd race - wasn't as fast as I thought it would be and the rise in the course is deceptive - one must be placed very neatly for the final sprint - should of gone early, but not three laps early -- always next year :mrgreen:
som dai na khrap....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:19 am

Mate, I was impressed that you rode something like 140k after the race, I would of died.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Monday 5th April - Beaumont Rd Crit - B grade

First time I've raced on the road since the Australia Day Crit and I'm feeling a bit off colour. Fist time at Beaumont Rd and I'm not that familiar with the grades, so after a bit of communication, I go in B. B grade fills completely up and some B grade riders get refused entry and have to ride in A or C

I'm near the back and I'm suffering from the sprints out of the u-turns, then I find an opportunity to move forward. There's a crash in A grade, something like 6 riders including Matt Garman and the spew across the road in front of us, we heave on the brakes and somehow B manages not to collide with each other. Then a couple of laps later, there's a bus that pulls out in front of us, back on the breaks, not as significant this time.

Every lap I'm moving a couple of bikes back, but I'm not willing to cheat by crossing the centre line, then some idiot decides to park his delivery truck on the road with flashing indicators on, thank goodness that two bunches didn't come upon that vehicle at the same time.

I've been put off a bit by been a bit crook and the number of hazards on the circuit and decide not to contest the sprint, stay at the back and roll over the line about 100mtrs behind the winners. Must admit I'm not 100% happy about today's race, but I also understand that the bunch isn't usually that big, so perhaps things are a little safer on other days.

Does anyone know what the average speed was in B grade ?

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Average speed 37.7 km/h in C Grade, and B Grade took hardly anything out of us for the first 40 minutes or so...

philip

Postby philip » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am

mikesbytes wrote:Does anyone know what the average speed was in B grade?
A mate of mine in B said it was 39.6km/h.. which, if correct, is a pretty quick B grade pace

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks Phillip,

Every time I looked at my speedo it showed a different speed, there seemed to be a lot of variation in pace, but as the circuit is stop start, its probably the nature of the circuit that encourages surges. With 2 riders off the front, the pace was probably upped by those chasing.

I heard that 2 sheets were completely filled and I vaguely remember there been 25 slots on the first page, so I'm guessing there were 50 riders in B grade, with some told to ride A or C as B was full.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Wow good size fields for Beauies World!...there are always things in the way up there.I enjoyed racing up there with mates but don't miss the circuit :lol: .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Matt hasn't got back to me about the photos. He has told me that the accident in A was caused by half wheeling.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Matt hasn't been successful in finding out who took the photos, did anyone else find out?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Any racing on this Sunday morning?

othy

Postby othy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Any racing on this Sunday morning?
Yeah, out at West Head with MWCC.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 pm

othy wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Any racing on this Sunday morning?
Yeah, out at West Head with MWCC.
Forgot about that one, need to sponge a lift off someone

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Decisions decisions decisions
- Couldn't do the Canberra tour as it clashed with a training course. Never mind next year
- Should I enter the Sydney road titles? They are on the Saturday of the same weekend as the Ken Dinnerval, so I'd be racing 2 days in a row.
- NSW Masters road and crit championships. Same weekend in the same location - wop wop somewhere south of Udualla.
- Cootomundra. Entry close this Sunday. Last time I was there my body was converted into a wind farm, you had to have Dutch genetics to win
- Matched sprints at Dunc Grey Velodrome this Sat night. I haven't entered but I could probably get in anyway.

Transportation is a problem for the country races.

Interesting that the Sydney road titles have an estimated finish time. I did the calcs on my grade and average speed works out at about 34kph LOL. If wind free, more likely to be 41-42kph.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 pm

mikesbytes wrote:- NSW Masters road and crit championships. Same weekend in the same location - wop wop somewhere south of Udualla.
Have you done these before Mike? The winning time for MMAS3, my grade, was about 43kmh avg. That is fast for what seems a hilly course. I spoke to a knowledgeable one, who suggested that unless you are riding A grade locally you are not going to finish with the bunch at NSW/Aust Masters. I don’t think I am good enough to ride this year, so I have it as a target for next year – NSW Masters that is. Sydney RR is Elite, so won’t that be even harder? I don’t know because I haven’t ridden them.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 pm

So based on your MMAS3 data, the road championships for MMAS4 is probably 41-42kph on a hilly course. I could probably suck the bunch but at best would be a spectator at the end, more probably will be followed into town by the swag wagon. If the race was local to Sydney I would probably be in.

The Sydney road titles are age grade based. I raced them 3 years ago when I first took up racing and stayed with the pack for 4 1/2 of the 5 laps. Average speed was 41kph at Penrith Lakes (no wind), which seems to be a fast surface.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:So based on your MMAS3 data, the road championships for MMAS4 is probably 41-42kph on a hilly course. I could probably suck the bunch but at best would be a spectator at the end, more probably will be followed into town by the swag wagon. If the race was local to Sydney I would probably be in.

The Sydney road titles are age grade based. I raced them 3 years ago when I first took up racing and stayed with the pack for 4 1/2 of the 5 laps. Average speed was 41kph at Penrith Lakes (no wind), which seems to be a fast surface.
Sorry 9 1/2 of 10 laps

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 pm

ft_critical wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:- NSW Masters road and crit championships. Same weekend in the same location - wop wop somewhere south of Udualla.
Have you done these before Mike? The winning time for MMAS3, my grade, was about 43kmh avg. That is fast for what seems a hilly course. I spoke to a knowledgeable one, who suggested that unless you are riding A grade locally you are not going to finish with the bunch at NSW/Aust Masters. I don’t think I am good enough to ride this year, so I have it as a target for next year – NSW Masters that is. Sydney RR is Elite, so won’t that be even harder? I don’t know because I haven’t ridden them.
It's only 71k for MMAS04. A bit short, almost a crit. I keep seeing this where the make the distance shorter. Perhaps they can carry my walking frame in the swag wagon

http://eurobodalla.org.au/2010mastersroad.html

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am

mikesbytes wrote:It's only 71k for MMAS04. A bit short, almost a crit. I keep seeing this where the make the distance shorter. Perhaps they can carry my walking frame in the swag wagon
Actually, using Google Maps you can do a virtual run on the course. It is undulating but not hilly. Still it is probably best as an objective for next year for me.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:23 am

ft_critical wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:It's only 71k for MMAS04. A bit short, almost a crit. I keep seeing this where the make the distance shorter. Perhaps they can carry my walking frame in the swag wagon
Actually, using Google Maps you can do a virtual run on the course. It is undulating but not hilly. Still it is probably best as an objective for next year for me.
So we don't need to be weight weenies, we can power over the bumps

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 pm

ft, I recon you should enter and experience the step up. A great opportunity to set the bar high, like I did at the Cronulla crit, where I raced against the best riders 10-15 years younger than me and lasted 10 of the 14 laps.