Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

OK, I failed to secure a lift to Beaumont rd, so I rode to waterfall this morning.

I was the only fastie riding and rode solo for the first 25ks when I eventually caught a bunch that had some quicker riders cruising along with them. Just before I got the bunch the 3 quicker riders vacated and took off, but I caught them about 1k further and we rode as a small bunch, Alan did a bit of work early and then Langdon and I did the reast. We were overtaking some unknown bunches until we came upon a bunch consisting of Paramatta riders, a long way from home, we overtook and several of them jumped and came with us, one of the Paramatta riders was really strong and did most of the work, he must of been bored s***less in his bunch.

At Waterfall only 2 Paramatta riders and myself remained, I commented to him how strong he was, saying he must be A grade, he responded he was A grade vet. Through the mad mile I had high levels of lactic acid and as a result was feeling a bit sick, but I hung in there with them until about 3k from the finish of the mad mile.

Waited for the bunch I overtook on the way back at the servo and then bludged most of the way back, taking the front for the last 5 or so K's. but got bored and Langdon and I went off the front for a bit of fun, though I nearly went over the bars on the final little hill which I powered over and the chain slipped on the big ring (not the cassette).

So why am I boring you with training ride talk? Because I've decided that based on today's ride, that I'm fit enough to race the NSW Masters Road Championship and NSW Masters Crit Championship.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 pm

I've entered the NSW Masters Road and Criterion championships. Now all I've got to do is average 42kph, hope the bunch catches the breakaway and then sprint like I haven't been riding at all.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:26 am

mikesbytes wrote:I've entered the NSW Masters Road and Criterion championships.
I was speaking to a clubmate who rode it last year in 5s. He said that basically there is a big hill in the middle (and he is a climber and a good one.) Essentially in his group, a couple of guys just did surging attacks on the hill and smashed the group to pieces.

So, maybe time for a bit of hills intervals. Get out of the flatlands and head north for your training?

I considered it over the weekend, but I don't think I am good enough and a 5hr drive. I will do it next year.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 am

Next year perhaps. Ft, being a member of NSCC you would have plenty of team mates to work with, your club is strong in road opens. I've only got one other MMAS4 team mate who can ride with me in road opens and he's not going so I'm all by my lonesome place.

Had a look thru the entry list, but I don't know the riders. Also most will enter at the last minute, like I normally do.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Saturday 8th May 2010

RBCC Heffron B grade

Worked like a dog all week at work, even worked 5 hours before going to Heffron. Felt like crap rode like crap, dropped 3 laps from the end. Race average was only 38.75, so no real excuse for being dropped, apart from "I was riding like crap"

Anyway, I need to average 41 - 42 next week in the NSW Road champs, so I'm going to taper this week so to hopefully put myself back on form

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 13, 2010 8:37 am

I'm ready for the NSW road racing championships this weekend

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am

Ready in BED? :mrgreen:

Good luck!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 am

Langdon has advised me that the bed won't fit in the TM3 transporter

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu May 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Hope you are not planning on wearing those Y-fronts (thanks for that) under your nicks.

Good luck Mike.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Good luck with them, and ride smart. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Good race old fella :D .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Saturday road race 4 laps - 72k

Turned out to be really hilly the longest piece of flat was about 100mtrs, so it was either up or down.

Pace went up and down like yoyo, I remember doing 51kph down a hill SLOW. and doing 46kph on a piece of flat, a piece of flat a bit later was only 26kph. I rode up one hill at 42kph.

Anyway I got dropped on lap 2 and convincingly won the second bunch after dropping them all and riding solo for the last 6k. However I finished a long way behind the first bunch.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Bumped into the M4 Commissioner this morning, he was saying that the pace in M4 was really hot for the first 2 laps, for the 17.8k laps the times were;
27min
27min
30min
28min

I had noticed that on lap 3 that they didn't gain any ground on me. So if I had held on for a little bit more, I would of been there to the finish, but that's racing.

Today's crit was a lot better. Watch this space

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 pm

You guys should of been there

22nd in the road race, so there were 21 left in main bunch

No. Name Gender Team Event Division Place
112 GRIFFITHS Stephen Male St George CC MMAS4 Road Race M4 1
108 GARRITY Ian Male Bicisport MMAS4 Road Race M4 2
130 RUBIE Gary Male St George CC MMAS4 Road Race M4 3
132 SANCHEZ Wayne Male St George CC MMAS4 Road Race M4 4
125 PAYNE Michael Male Canberra CC MMAS4 Road Race M4 5
104 CLEMENT Michael Male Dulwich Hill BC MMAS4 Road Race M4 22

Still haven't done the crit report, they are working me like a slave at the office

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Where is the Crit report Mike. Well done on getting out there. Not bad for a flatlander you would have to say! But they also say never bring a track racer through the mountains with you... :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Guilty as charged. I'll do it tonight.

Was going to do the RBCC crit on Sat arvo, but after doing a 1 hour spin class in the morning I lost the urge. At least I got paid for the spin class.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 pm

NSW Masters Criterion Championship 30minutes + 3 laps, 9 days ago

MMAS04 - I didn't count the riders but there was probably about 40 riders

Circuit was 800mtrs and I've was told by another rider that it was similar to Smitten Grange that MCCC use.

Pace was typically 45kph at the bottom of the circuit and 38kph at the top of the circuit. Average as about 41kph for the race. I spent most of the race near the front and spent some time on the front, I rode down 2 breaks and attempted one myself. At no time did I feel threatened by any action, I was strong, by some miracle I had recovered from yesterdays road race.

So eventually came the last race, there were no riders off the front, it was going to be a bunch finish, I came past the finish line in about 15th place, but for a last lap the uphill section was slow, so I rode around the other riders to come up to the front and that's where I made my mistake I should of simply put in a full power attack up the hill, there wasn't a lot of road from the top to the finish, they were looking at each other I might of caught them off guard. So I sprinted seated when the other riders sprinted, I should of been out of the seat, but I wasn't. Once I was out of the medals I pull out and cruised across the line.

Two riders had chosen my wheel, they thought I was going to put in a strong sprint as I had a skin suit on, the truth been that there were about 7 riders wearing skin suits.

At the end of the day I had shown to myself that I can confidently run with many of the better MMAS04 riders in NSW and ACT, not just as a passenger but as real competitor, my confidence in age based racing has been boosted considerably.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Sydney Road Titles 29th May 2010

50k (10 laps) Penrith Lakes clockwise

Result - DNF 49.2k completed

This has to be the slowest MMAS04 race I've ever been in. I was late getting my self ready and did zero warmup, not that it was problem because the initial pace was so slow that I went to the front so to try to generate some heat in my legs. Pace floated between 40 and 30kph and some of us decided that we might as well have a crack at a break, so at a predetermined place, one of the riders attacked with the 3 DHBC riders, but we were reeled in pretty good, then the St George rider turned up, who to my knowledge was the fastest rider, so I said to him "where were you when we did our attack? We needed you", his response was "I got a flat and spent the last 2 laps chasing.

Throughout the race there were various attacks, I tried twice myself. None of them succeeded.

Last lap and I was sitting in 2nd wheel and then eventually Ian went past into the lead, so I moved onto his wheel, the pace slowly increased and then coming over the bridge with 800mtrs to go, I lost the front wheel and crashed, taking out a plastic bollard in the process. Craig Weller crashed into me and his bike ended up on top of me and a third rider went down too. Sorry Craig.

What happened in the last 800mtrs, I don't know. The St George rider won as expected and Paul Meehan took second. Ian Decker from my club was unlucky to be just outside of the medals in 4th.

Today's crash also makes it unlikely that I'll will compete in the Ken Dinnerval tomorrow, or I might be able to race but not compete.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Those of you who raced in the Sydney Road Titles, Ernie was there taking photos;

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon May 31, 2010 1:52 pm

All Masters 4 riders, apart from Mike, are also bouncers by the look of it :wink:
mikesbytes wrote:Image

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Sunday 30th May 2010 - Ken Dinnerval 92k handicap road race

Saturday afternoon a cleaned my bike and closely inspected it for damage and found none. Seems I had become an expert at crashing, ie protecting the equipment and I do remember holding my head up so I didn't scrape the Helmet.

I was hurting walking but I got on my bike and rode it down the street and back. Surprisingly I could ride. How bizzare was that, difficult walking but can ride.

Anyway I was going down with Micklan and I notified him of my condition, I said I'll come down and take photo's if I don't ride. I knew that the decision would have to be taken tomorrow.

A bit of discussion on the coccyx, where I was hurting the most with sogood and it was time to look thru the medical cupboard, lots of different pain killers to choose from, curiosity of broken ribs. In the end plain old voltaran was the choice of drug.

Sunday Micklan picks me up and we drive down to Wollongong. At the carpark I demonstrate to the other DHBC riders how I can hardly get on the bike, but I can ride fine. The decision is made that I'll ride, but I'll take Micklan's car keys as if I quit, I'll go back to the car and drive to the top of the hill to take photo's.

Start and lap 1
I was in group 4, about mid point in the handicap. In the previous 2 years I'd been in group 2, ie the one behind limit. We took off at a cruisey 36 - 38kph and I felt a bit chucky but I said "I can do this" when we turned onto the main course we got the tailwind and the pace really picked up, hitting 55kph down a small dip, we switched the direction of the pace line and then we struck our first problem, we caught a slow moving car. Some of yelled to go around it and then the car must of realised that it was in the way and it speeded up a little and went down a side road. Going down the hill I didn't look at my speedo so I don't know how fast, but I did find that my 11t was working, top gear for the day was going to have to be 53/12. around the school and back to the hill, at the righthand corner they had put cones to stop us cutting the corner and it made it really tight, the road surface in this part was a bit ordinary too. Up the hill and I was dropped, but managed to ride myself back on.

lap 2
We were caught by group 5 about a k or 2 after the uturn to start the second lap. The pace went up about 2kph but it didn't feel any more difficult. Ahead of us groups 2 and 3 had merged and they weren't a hell of a way ahead of us. The 2 groups worked together in a large paceline, which came and went. At the school turnaround I found I was at the back and had to do a decent sprint on the road to survive the elastic stretch. By this time we had merged with groups 2 & 3 to form the usual mega bunch. My hill climbing ability was limited by my injury's of yesterdays crash, pretty much ruling out any upper body strength, but the climb this time was easier, I noticed on Christian's bike that we were climbing at 21kph and I looked at mine and it said 21kph too.

lap 3
Out of the u-turn and a split occurred with about a 30mtr gap, which I decided to ride across and in hindsight that was the wrong decision as what happened with the front bunch was that 3 riders went off the front and then the bunch slowed. Someone was playing team. By the time that Matt and some other riders had reacted by going to the front the 3 were gone and then the back bunch caught up, so I wasted my energy. Finally the hill came for the last time and I was badly positioned, some riders went around and that is what I should of done. The bunch hit the hill and it splinted badly, I found a way around on the left and got to the top about 5 meters behind the second group of about 10 who chased hard to catch the first group of about 10, while yours truely and one other rider chased both groups, but we didn't get on. I was feeling good and when I was on the front was rolling at about 40 - 42kph keeping level with the bunch in front but the other rider was suffering and when he was on the front the pace dropped to 36 - 38kph. We resigned to the fact that we weren't going to get back on and then we observed we were being caught by another bunch and then it hit us hard, it was scratch. We both jumped on but I didn't survive very long and was soon spat. I rode on thinking that at the beginning of the day I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to race and now I had ended up putting myself in something like 40th place (don't know exactly) on handicap, 3rd DHBC rider on handicap. I caught the other rider I had been and we cruised to the finish, taking the time to enjoy the scenery and lined our bikes up to go over the electronic timing identical, as per this video taken by sogood;

Ken Dinnerville 2010 Handicap Road Cycling - DHBC MC

I don't know my handicap result yet, but the scratch results are up and I came 40th out of 170 entrants, don't know how many actually raced. Total time is 2:20:50.14 for the 92k, which is 39.5kph average speed, not bad for a hilly goat track, though not as hilly as the NSW Masters road racing champs. In my club I've came 3rd on handicap and 4th on scratch.

Today my coccyx was painful walking to the station and gave me a lot of discomfort in my spin class, thank goodness I'm not booked for another until Saturday.

Am I pleased with my result: Yeeessssss
Should I have ridden: no

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Hey they awarded me a finish place in the Sydney Road Titles. I distinctly remember that after I crashed, I rode down to the start finish line and parked my bike about 5mtrs before the start finish line, visited the first aid officer and then road back to the other side in the opposite direction. LOL

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... ts%20MMAS4

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Maybe you need to have your coccyx seen to Mike? Good effort though! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks foo, I'm giving it rest, even catching the train rather than bike commuting.

Dinnerval Handicap results are out - 39th. Can't complain about that, especially considering I was riding injured. The results only go down to 67th, what happened to the other 103 riders. Some didn't turn up, but the rest???

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... tm#Results

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 am

One of the riders in front of me in the results is a DNF. So how many mistakes are their in the results?