Tour de Mike

ft_critical

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Didn't post much this week because I was busy at work. No HTFU required for you Mike. You are hard enough I believe. BIG week.

Time for some rest....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Hasn't been a bed of roses since then, I got a cold and then came down with the flu, which aggravated my lower back, which I'm presuming was partially injured in my accident. The bottom line is that I'm walking slowly with a limp, I went for a 3k ride on Sunday and I felt every bump, so I've decided to pull the pin and let myself get better. I brought a train weekly, can't remember the last time I did that. The only thing I'm doing is my indoor spin classes cos I'm being paid to do em.

For racing, I'm leaving next weekend alone but I'll head out for a training ride on Saturday with clip-ons, so I can get use to them, as the following weekend I have NSW Team Time Trial Championships.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Doom and gloom continues, I haven't fully shaken the cold/flu/whatever and now the pain has moved from my lower back to my left hip. My limp diminishes and once I think its going to go away it comes back.

My target is to get back on the bike this Sunday, I had intended to ride the fixie, but I'll setup the race road bike for TT and take it for an acclimatisation ride. Sunday route is about 110k, not 100% sure of the distance. Weekend after is the NSW Team Time Trail championship

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Under advice from Sogood I started taking voltaren to act as an anti inflammatory and there was a significant reduction in my limp. So does that mean Beaumont st on Monday? Probably not...

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm

So does that mean Beaumont st on Monday? Probably not...
I was planning to do West Head and Beaumont both. But I think I'm coming down with something.

Been lucky though - haven't been sick for yages, not even a cold. This with two primary aged kids who are always sniffling and a wife who gets every cold going, and intransigent dingbats at work who won't take a day off even at death's door. I go round saying to people "I don't get sick". Well, I might just be getting sick. I could do Beaumont with a mild cold. Not West Head though.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Take care mate

West head is out for me, as I'm road captain on a ride going south. First time I'll be on a bike for about 10 days. I would of normally taken my fixie, but I need to get use to aero bars for the NSW TTT the week after, so I'll swap the 130 stem for the 80 stem on the racer, done the clip-on's and take it. Can't use the clip-on's when I'm with other riders but there will be adequate opportunity.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

Stayed in bed till 10am this morning. Last night I made the difficult decision to have a rest day rather than race at Beau'ie.

Yesterday was my first road ride since Ken Dinnerval. I have set my race bike up for next weeks NSW TTT, swapping the 130 stem for an 80 and adding clip-ons. Did approx 110k mainly at easy pace, was ride captain along with sogood, though due to circumstances did the mad mile (10k) by myself and gunned it, there was a small tail wind and I was screaming in the clip-ons, 60kph at the bottom of the dips, 45 - 55 on the flat, 42 at the top of the crests. Gotta luv tail winds.

It showed me that although I'm still injured, that I'm still cranking it out, its given me confidence that I'll be on the money next weekend, unlike this poor creature that found out the hard way about crossing the hwy;

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Today was an odd day, I decided not to take pain killers as I seemed pretty good in the morning. The other decision I made was to bike commute based on the amount of walking I would have to do today, as walking has been uncomfortable.
- Nice and slow into CBD, had a bit of a limp in the morning
- Lunchtime my first spin class and in the afternoon my limp has almost gone
- Ride out to North Strathfield, no probs no change in my limp
- After work spin class and my limp has returned
- Ride home and the limp has got really bad
- As the evening goes on, my lowerback starts to lock out a bit, so I give in and go back on pain killers.

I'm of the view that one of my hamstrings in my left leg is the major cause of my problems, the question is how do I get it better in time for next weekend's NSW TTT, even as is I know I can ride well. All I have left this week is 2 spin classes on Thursday and I'll continue to cruisey commute.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:27 pm

All I can suggest is that you try a massage. Get someone strong to really grind that problem hammy. Apart from that, ride as little as possible - if you are taking spin classes, consider calling in sick/injured, because you kind of are...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:34 am

NSW Team Time Trail this arvo. I've still got problems, some inprovement, though I elected to bike commute this week, though on a road bike rather than my fixie. Depending on how I go today, will have to make a decision on whether to start RAW this coming Friday or to leave the track stuff for a couple of weeks.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 am

Good luck Mike! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 am

The #1 rider in the team just called me and advised that he's sick and expects to last only 10k. Oh well, its not like we were going to take a medal :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:49 pm

NSW TTT championships... while we had a great time it probably isn't one to put in the hall of fame.

Different course from last year and seemed hillier. It was the first time I'd really ridden a bike with any real effort for 2 weeks since Ken Dinnerval as I've trying to strike a balance between recovering from injury and maintaining fitness, but it was pretty evident on the warmup that I had lost fitness.

Anyway we took off knowning that the first 10k had a lot of up hills and had decided to not push it too much. If was soon evident that one of the riders was quite a bit slower going up hill and we were often slowing the pace for him and over the entire course he only went on the front once. I was struggling a bit with VO2 max in the first 15k but then came right. It was evident that the combination of my aero gear and extra weight made me noticeably faster downhill, so for the second half of the race I went on the front for the downhill sections. The road was rough and the bumps threw my around a lot when I was in the clip-ons, there was also a bit of searching for the best tarmac so I tended to drift around a bit.

Average speed was 35.1kph. While its difficult to compare apples with oranges, last year on a different course we averaged 37.2kph and at the Dinnerval 2 weeks ago I averaged 39.5kph.

Anyway I'm thinking of entering the individual TT next month, I can use the team average of 35.1kph as a target beat.

left to right
- Christian Lees (drinking water)
- Mark Lacey
- Craig Weeler
- Michael Clement

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Anyone who paints his jersey on for the sake of aerodymamics and the good of the team is straight off the top shelf as far as I'm concerned.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:15 pm

As soon as I posted some more photos came up;

The finish

Happy faces

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 pm

you have a new bike mike! :shock: .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:you have a new bike mike! :shock: .
Brought it off a Dutch guy at the UCI world master track championships last year. I use it just for racing, as I've got the OCR and the fixie for training. It's lighter than my track bike despite having gears, water bottles and brakes.

Today I'm running an 80mm stem with clip-on's. For normal road racing I run a 130mm stem.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Last year we had 2 teams, one elite and one masters, this year we had 4 teams, one elite, one masters womans and two masters men.

Woman's team

The other mens team was disorganised, with one rider getting lost and turning up in the nick of time. I'm trying to put a number on a few seconds before the start.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Gota say, I look dam silly in an aero helmet

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Erine was taking photo's at the NSW TTT as well, click to go to his site

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:22 am

RAW Week 2 - Friday 2nd July 2010 - Division 3

After electing to sit out last week to complete my injury recovery, it was off to Dunc Grey. The last time I rode a track bike was at the Dulwich Hill 80" Ominum March 20th on, you guessed it 80"

With Zero track training, I wasn't so sure how I would go and gingerly rode around in warmup. I had left 80" on the bike as the first point scoring race was the one lap screamer, a race I traditionally do bad in, though I did OK at Hurstville in the christmas carnival.

A spin class in the morning wasn't going to help either and I could still feel it in my legs.

Warm-up race
With 80" on board, I was expecting to get dropped pretty quick, but it happened even earlier with one rider managing to wipe out another rider in the entry lap, temporarily blocking my entry onto the track. Crafty said "take one lap out" and I should of, but I raced after the pack and after 2 laps of hard slog got on. I was happy to spin away on the back, but by mid race I was starting to move upwards on the inside as riders rolled from the front. With 3 laps to go I was perfectly positioned with 2 riders in front of me and then riders attacked around the outside and blow me the 2 riders in front of me did nothing, leaving me blocked in and I come about 10th. Not that I was going to set the world on fire on 80"

One Lap Screamer
80"... I'm going to get a great start... wrong... Anthony Baggs and I collide off the start and it takes a couple of seconds to get off the power and back on it. By that time they were gone. Came last.

Snowball
A quick change of gearing puts me on 92". I sit in the pack early on. By mid race I'm picking wheels looking for an easy ride towards the front and this was really a mistake as I had tons of bandwidth to be aggressive, but instead I look for an easy lift to the front. The result is that I'm not positioned to fight for points anywhere. In previous Snowballs, I've struggled to hang in there, let alone go for points. With 2 laps to go, I finally decide to attack and go after the leader, the problem is, it isn't 2 laps to go, its 1 lap to go, so I cross the line 2nd to score no points, that nil zero zip. A series of poor decisions leaves me out of the running, not my performance.

Combined 3/4
Based on my failures in the point scoring races, I decide to go down. Early on the pace is a little quicker than I expected from a 3/4 combined, the pack spat some riders and I cross the gap with ease and sit in, while the riders roll. It's looking like I'll be in a good position at the end, I'm behind Theo who is an excellent sprinter. With 3 laps to go Theo rolls high on the banking and I'm thinking he's going to do a sprint down the banking [afterward's he told me he was thinking about it], so I roll up the speed a little in anticipation of it, so I roll off the speed a tad, not much and sit on the front. The pace isn't a problem and with 1 and bit laps to go I play my card going to full sprint. On the final corner its very close, but I get swamped on the line and come about 5th about 3/4 of a bike length behind first.

Never mind, the night showed me that no track training hasn't hurt me too much. Next week I'll ride 94"

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Good report Mike, but I am curious! Why the 80" gear in the sprint, or is this a specific event where you can only ride a 80" gear? :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good report Mike, but I am curious! Why the 80" gear in the sprint, or is this a specific event where you can only ride a 80" gear? :)
You can run any gear you wish, unless your a junior.

It was 250mtrs from a standing start. A lower gear should make you quicker off the line, but at the expense of been slower once you are going fast. The theory was that the gain at the beginning would compensate for the loss at the end.

I think next time I do it, I'll run something like 86"

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:20 am

Ok thanks Mike! Yeah I think you would be better on the 86 or even I think it is 87.6 which is also a good one to whined up quickly.

I would also do some standing starts to get the feel of both. :idea:
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Well Tour de Mike took to the water on Saturday, racing as crew in Ian Decker's Flying Tiger, which is a racing yacht, the hull weighs about 2 tonnes, compared with 4 - 6 tonnes for a family yacht of the same size. Total crew was 5 but we could of done with 8 for the conditions. I was given 3 jobs;
1. Nagivator
2. Jib Winch
3. Spinnaker stuffer into the cabin

A perfect start saw us straight into the lead, then after a quick bit of navigation confusion, we rounded the first buoy, chucking a u-ie near the navy docks and headed to lady bay. After determining we were clear of the Manly ferry, up went the spinnakar and we were flying. By the time we got to Lady Jane we had about a 400mtr lead. Back into the middle of the harbour and the route took us all over the place and eventually we got so far ahead that we couldn't see the other boats at all. Later in the race we got another chance to use the spinnaker and after one more bunch of zigzagging around various bouys we took line honours.

Back at the dock Lindsay manages to go for a six in the cabin while tidying up and wipes his ribs and wrist off. He didn't ride today, due to hurting himself.

After waiting an hour at the club house and consuming some beer and food, some of the boats still ain't back, so I have to go before I find out what the handicap result was. Still don't, will have to wait till next time I see Ian, possibly RAW this coming Friday.