Tour de Mike

Strawburger

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby Strawburger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:55 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Yours truely rolling over the finish line. Photos from cycling@cochinos.us

Was looking for one of strawburger but didn't spot one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/velocityme ... 678885238/
Nice close up photo! Great action shot. I missed out on the photos by the looks of it. I may have to drop them a line to see if they have any culled ones.

The speed up the climb was super fast on both occasions. I did the split on both (with my GPS) and they worked out to be almost exactly the same times (average over 21km/hr for 2km) - within a couple of seconds anyway. As we were discussing afterwards, i'm not sure how riders over 70kg can stay with the lead bunch!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Congratulations Strawburger, look how much your performance has improved since Ken Dinnerval.

There's a good chance he's got a photo of you, he talked about 2000 photos, don't know what that means.

My downfall on the climb was running out of puff 3/4 way up. Next year I'll make sure I've had more climbing practice so I can get 80kg to the top with the lead pack.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Sunday 22nd August 2010

Ride for Life Centennial Park - C grade

The State Handicappers had placed most of the DHBC riders in C grade, including Strawburger

The course was a 1.9k lap of the infield of CP, returning around Grand Pde in the wrong direction - 13 laps. There was a headwind on Grand Pde, which also had a small incline and the finish was at the end of a decline, where we were rolling over at 50kph, so I was expecting a fast sprint at the end.

The field was combined with the womans race (12 riders) making it about 70 riders all up.

I was fearful of being dropped on an lap 1 early attack, I remember this race 2 years ago when I last raced, so I started on the front and stayed there until hitting the headwind on Grande Pde, where I cruised until some riders got jack of it and went past me then I sat on about 8th wheel for a couple of laps before moving into the middle of the pack.

For the next 6 or 7 laps the usual stuff happened, the odd attack, I was riding one down when I got cut off by a rider not holding his line and then I drifted towards the back. By this time there were about 50 riders left, 8 woman had been dropped and about 12 men. Then with was a huge crash with upto 20 riders going down. The race was stopped and 4 went to hospital;

Bathurst Rider - looked really bad remained still on the road, had oxygen provided
DHBC Rider - broken collar bone
? Rider - was sitting against the barrier but had oxygen provided
RBCC Rider - ?

I got to use my Senior First Aid training until the race medics turned up.

Here's what I wrote up on my club forum;
mikesbytes wrote:At the time I thought it was 20 bikes, but perhaps a little less

Let me try to sum up the status - let me know where I'm wrong
Joshua - in front of crash, not involved
Chidgey - in front of crash, not involved
Othy - at front of crash, hit but not knocked off
Matt - at front of crash, ended up with riders and bikes on top of him - broken collar bone, small crack in helmet but probably no other injuries.
James - behind the crash, hit but not knocked off
Clement - behind the crash, managed not to hit anyone with some heavy braking
Mark - behind the crash, knocked off by another rider over reacting. Minor graze on right leg
Simon C - ????

3 Others going to hospital;
Bathurst rider - looked really bad, probably the most injured
RBCC rider - ?
? - ?

Damage;
NSCC rider Roberts had a smashed frame after hitting the barriers trying to avoid fallen riders, looked similar to Weyiun's Ridley, but not hurt.
From what I saw not a lot of bike damage
Matt needs a new helmet
Mark needs a new jersey and leg warmers

Race was restarted about 40 minutes later for the final 2 laps. The riders took the first lap netural and raced the final lap. All DHBC riders except Matt took the restart.
Another DHBC rider wrote;
j.d.lester. wrote:...a very nasty crash, the pace was slow for the size of the group, and with a downhill run into a sweeping left hander the rear of the field would bunch up each lap at the point of the crash. The previous lap I was rolling on the outside line and felt the group drifting wide, so next time through I decided to stay inside to keep my position close to the front, and avoid potential run-ins, with two to go. A rider immediately to my right and one bike length in front, no idea who, looked uncomfortable with his place in the pack and the speed.. he looked to straighten his line while the road continued left, clipped the guy to his right who was probably still turning in, and as a consequence, brought the balance of the field down. I counted about 16 who got through. The sound of bikes and riders slamming into each other and the barriers was terrible..

..Matt.. all the best with your recovery..
With the road full of ambulances and other vehicles, the remaining riders eventually collected on the start finish. After a while we rode up and down the road to keep warm and then they restarted the race about 40 minutes later. This time they separated the remaining 4 woman into a different race. The riders had agreed to have the first lap neutral + 100mtrs to cover the crash corner and then we race, with 1.8k to go. So it became a sprinters race, I was fully expecting the track riders to excel, but a lot of riders while restarting (including me) were riding conservatively. We were sitting on a mere 45kph, quite slow for such a sort distance. So I should of gone down the outside and had a go for the podium, but I was a bit put off (as were others) and didn't contest the sprint, which wasn't that fast.

In hindsight I should of contested the sprint, the first prize was $1,000 TWE wheel set.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 am

the field would bunch up each lap at the point of the crash
There is always trouble when that happens. Sounds like not fun Mike. Glad you stayed up though.

Did the other grade stay up?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 am

ft_critical wrote:
the field would bunch up each lap at the point of the crash
There is always trouble when that happens. Sounds like not fun Mike. Glad you stayed up though.

Did the other grade stay up?
Apparently not, I wasn't there when A grade was racing
HurtsLikeJens wrote:It was carnage. A few of the A Graders went through a fence at the top of that little hill, took then fence with them. An ambulance went blowing by me in the Corporate race too, didn't see what happened. I had two near misses with guys chopping me up in the bunch. Shoulder bumping is fine, but I had to move two metres to my right because someone thought you won the race on lap 3 going up the hill.

I got some photos of the C grade race, none of the crash.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

This happened to a mate of mine's bike in this crash:

"I managed to mostly avoid it but got pushed into a barricade and when I looked down my bike was in two pieces."

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 am

I was chatting to him afterward's I was surprised he wasn't hurt. Ironically it appeared there was no damage to his wheels

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

ouch!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

maxroberts

Postby maxroberts » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks Philip!

Stumbled across this post when searching for an update on the race. I'm the one with the broken bike. Still puzzled as to how that happened. I know the guy that went to hospital with the punctured lung came in underneath me. Apparently he's out of hospital now. Amazingly I just had a few scratches but the bike is obviously a wreck:

Cheers,
Max

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 am

I'm amazed you weren't hurt

Punctured lung, I'm assuming your referring to the Bathurst rider?

othy

Postby othy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 am

My rear wheel was pulled from the frame but I stayed upright, not sure about what happened to whoever got caught in my wheel. Matt was just behind me to the right.

Was a massive pile up - at least 20 riders. Looked like it was caused by a touch of wheels or bars possibly due to the narrowing barriers on the outside of that corner.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

I'm assuming we were doing 50, but I didn't look at my speedo

maxroberts

Postby maxroberts » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:09 pm

My Garmin shows the following:

Interesting spike of my heart rate, the highest of the race was during the accident, must have been the adrenalin!

Cheers,
Max

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 pm

maxroberts wrote:Thanks Philip!

Stumbled across this post when searching for an update on the race. I'm the one with the broken bike. Still puzzled as to how that happened. I know the guy that went to hospital with the punctured lung came in underneath me. Apparently he's out of hospital now. Amazingly I just had a few scratches but the bike is obviously a wreck:

Cheers,
Max
I thought that was your bike Max. Glad you are okay, sounds really scary. Punctured lung, that is not good.

Andrew

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Photos

http://www.pbase.com/paulgolf5/cycling_ ... y&page=all

The glory or racing

Matt Wallman down, some of other ones look worse

The Bathurst rider

Some more on your broken frame

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:31 pm

More photos, there's a good one of Max

http://www.flickr.com/photos/velocityme ... 4654227693

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 pm

congrats on the top 10 finish at Cootamundra yesterday!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Strawburger wrote:congrats on the top 10 finish at Cootamundra yesterday!
Thanks,

My first ever official placing in a NSW road event and I'm $30 richer LOL. I'll write up the weekend tonight :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Cootomundra 120k Classic Handicap - Saturday 28th August 2010
Start: 3rd Group from the front, 21 minutes behind limit
Result: DNF
Report;
After spending Friday in bed, I wasn't expecting to put the world on fire, but I did a lot better than last year
0 - 13k Rode fine within my bunch, taking my turns until we hit the first hill, which is a 2 stage hill. Now I wont say who drove the bunch up that hill :evil: but he dropped me on the first hill section, then I managed to ride myself back on, in fact I was the only rider to ride themselves back on and then I blew completely on the second stage of the hill. During this stage I saw Amy and she looked gone, she didn't even try to get on.
13 - 20k Made some reasonable pace solo
20 - 27k Two riders caught me and we worked really well together. They were under the illusion that the bunch behind us wouldn't catch, or should I say delusion. I was thinking about where was the most suitable place to get caught, I didn't want to get caught on a hill
27 - 49k And that's exactly what happened, but luckily John's bunch wasn't going that fast uphill. Soon I was working in that bunch, but after we turned right we hit a small hill and I was gone.
49 - 65k Unfortunately Alex's bunch came almost straight away and I hadn't recovered so I didn't get on. I got on the next bunch for a couple of K's and I was happy that I had managed to get 60k without getting caught by scratch. Then Scratch came by and I jumped on but only lasted about 2k.
65 - 70k So close but so far away, rode to the checkpoint in a bunch that consisted mainly of numbers in the 30's, 20's and 10's fast riders that had been dropped by Scratch. I was wondering if being so close to Scratch and still in a bunch they would let us ride into Harden, but they didn't and we had to take our numbers off. Average speed to this point was 36.7kph
70 - 110k The bunch were faster at getting their numbers off and left before I got on. Ron was there so I told him to suck my wheel, as there was a headwind, but I wasn't paying attention and accidentally dropped Ron. After a while I got bored of riding into the wind and decided to slipstream cars, but the officials got narky about that and made me ride at the side again. The k's went past and I got to watch the race fan out as the various riders went past. Alex looked comfortable, a candidate for a placing, Mark looked dead, James looked like how James normally looked and John was MIA. Later I found out that Alex had just missed out on a placing.

Post Morton
So close to making it to the checkpoint before Scratch, so close to not being eliminated. In my bunch I needed to get up that hill with them but alas I didn't. I actually worked better in the following bunch.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Cootomundra 70k Recovery Handicap - Sunday 29th August 2010
Started on 18 minutes behind scratch but my clock said 20 minutes when we left, I'll assume it was 2 minutes fast. Large group, but only about half working. 3 laps of 23k each, course hilly.
Result: 10th, which was the final paying place - $30
Average Speed: 36kph

Lap 1. My strategy was to be near the front when I hit the Hill around the back and the returning Hill. I implemented this strategy and each time got up with the bunch. We were working well and bit 8 minutes out of limit on the first lap. Lacy disappeared. Found out later he had a broken spoke.

Lap 2. On the back hill I blew up causing a split in the group, I had to roll and let the other riders fill the gap while I used the other riders to get me up, rolling to the back but still being on at the top. On the return hill I managed to get up no problems, but I had a headach and felt nauseous, either it was the that flu bug or I had hit Lactic Acid tolerance limit. On the hill we were told we were only 6 minutes behind limit so it was looking like we were going to catch them. I fully understood the situation we were in, there was the smell of victory. I knew I had to put everything into it to stay with this group.

Lap 3. We hit 48kph on the flat, that was a fast section of road. On the back hill I went entirely for position and didn't worry about wind protection, clawing my forward on the early slopes so I was still there when we got to the top but I dug deep and cursed at myself to get over and I did. Along the back flat section I was wasted and got dropped. After composing myself, I put myself into TT position and rode myself back on. Looking up the hill I could a single cyclist with 2 official cars in front and another 2 official cars behind. Too far ahead for us to catch, but I didn't realise was this was the last of Limit who had blown apart and we were actually racing for 2nd place. I was thinking we didn't catch limit and they had taken it. I looked back over the valley and couldn't see any other groups, where on earth were they????

This time up the hill I was feeling good, there was a two rider attack, I should of responded, attacking myself. Then another 2 riders attacked, this time I responded and chased them down, eating heavily into their lead on the downhill and catching them on the next little hill, along with a limit rider who had attached on. We rode back as a group and sprinted for the line, I responded holding my position, not really pushing that hard. Crossing the line 7th in the group. Afterwards I found out there was 1 limit rider then the 2 breakaways and the main bunch. I had finished 10th. Al saw the sprint was annoyed at me for not trying.

Post Morton
1. Survived death row at least 4 times
2. Misread my real position in the race
3. Didn't respond to a significant attack
4. Didn't sprint hard when I should of
5. I've now placed in a NSW road race :D :D :D :D

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:32 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Cootomundra 70k Recovery Handicap - Sunday 29th August 2010
Result: 10th
Congratulations Mike and a good read.

philip

Postby philip » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Nice one Mike! I guess it would be pretty hard to keep track of who's ahead/behind to know what position you're in, so next time you should just go for it no matter what!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

philip wrote:Nice one Mike! I guess it would be pretty hard to keep track of who's ahead/behind to know what position you're in, so next time you should just go for it no matter what!
Yeh, it was a gutsy performance just to be there. Next time it will be 'take no prisoners' assuming the handicapper didn't notice my 10th place

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Probably the last time I'll be shaking that hand