mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Sunday 19th September

Southern Cross Cup - B grade EC Raceway 70 minutes + 1 lap

You guys have all read about this already, after EON's success - congrats EON

This time I actually arrived in time to have a small warmup, not that it mattered as in typical Waratah Masters racing, everyone cruised at the beginning. Laps were rolling in at about 6 minutes, so I was estimating 13 laps.

After about 5 laps I had a half baked attempt at a break with the orange&black guy, but it didn't go anywhere.

Then we got the whistle for the prime, I was on the back kinda blocked in, but I got myself out and rolled towards the front, when the stocky Canberra guy turned it up so I got his wheel, but he faded and that left me in a bad position, so I didn't contest the prime but waited for the usual attack that typically happens after a prime and sure enough 5 riders went off the front so I tacked on but we caught the second of the A grade bunches, now I'm not talking about that the lapped us, I'm saying that we caught up to them, the attack went around them and then they winged like a bunch of girls, so my breakaway hauled up to let the girls go past and that let the main bunch get back on.

For the rest of the race nothing happened apart from going neutral on the front straight to let E grade do their final sprint. Then on the last lap 3 riders went off the front, but they got run down, largely by the orange&black guy. I had got myself pinned in and finally got out just in time to catch the stocky Canberra riders wheel again, but this time I was ready for him to run out of steam which happened just before the final turn into the front straight, I went straight across to the other side of the road and got someone elses wheel. Coming down the straight I could see the finish line and decided to go for it, got out in front of everyone else and the finish line was coming, but I had jumped too early and got swamped near the line. It was a badly timed pathetic sprint.

On a windless day average speed was 37.8kph, which is probably the slowest B grade race I've done. If I remember correctly last year was about 1kph faster in heavy wind.

EON winning, photos available at Ernie Smith Photography
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:51 am

I am curious Mike. Why did you let dropped riders from A, back through or am I reading this wrong?
If they can't hang onto their own grade and you"re going to hard for them, well stuff 'em I say, why stuff up your progress. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:31 am

It wasn't my decision, I would of just kept going

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:37 am

They weren't exactly "dropped riders", they were a fully functioning A Grade peloton of at least 30 riders. They passed B Grade and then eased up, which led to the circumstances Mike described.

The reality is that initiating any breakaway in the vicinity of a stronger grade is doomed to failure. The rest of your bunch, without actually cheating, will pace themselves to the stronger bunch pace and almost always shut down the breakaway.

As a general comment, every grade is entitled to run its own race. When a stronger grade passes a weaker grade, they typically get in front and then ease up. They should keep the pressure on for another minute or so which typically puts sufficient gap into them. I reckon that the rule about not latching onto the back does not extend to a breakaway from a lower grade repassing if the stronger grade is mucking around at relatively low speed. Of course, the commissaire may take a different view! :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:59 am

Ok, thanks for that Rogan.

When I was racing they just started all grades together and it soughted itself out through the race. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 am

Rogan, do you think we should of thought "F*** A grade" and kept going?

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:06 am

Mike - you would have been entitled to. The rule is about not latching onto the back of another grade. As long as you aren't doing that, I see no problem under the rules. On a narrower course it could create issues, but ECR at 9 m wide (or more) the whole way round, that isn't a factor.

As I said earlier, the real cause is A Grade easing up after they got past us. If they are carrying on when you go past them again, they should be encouraged to get a wriggle and get out of our race.

But as I also said earlier, if they complain to the commissaire, all bets are off...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 am

Funny I don't recall A overtaking us

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Dulwich Hill Omimum - Saturday 26th September 2010 10am - 2pm Canterbury (Tempe) Velodrome

8.15am to 9.15am I did a spin class, then I rode home, showered and went to the velodrome.

Flying 200
I was a little late but got on the track just in time to be the last to do the flying 200. As expected I did really bad as my legs were rooted from the spin class and I came in at 14.16 about a second slower than I should off.

Matched Sprint
Getting on the fence I realised that I had a flat front and had to withdraw from the race

Madison
I had no one to partner so couldn't enter

3000mtr pursuit
Raced Mark Lacey. 2 laps in I realised they had the lap board wrong and it was going to be 10 laps instead of 9 laps. 3 laps and Lacy had pulled 20 metres on me but I pulled it back to be even and we matched laps. By lap 8 I had pulled 20 metres on Lacy and held it to the end. VICTORY !!!! Got to be the closest 3000mtr pursuit I've ever done.

Warming up on the rollers AFTER the flying 200

Mike on the big bike

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:48 am

Good one Mike on the win! :)

What the hell are you doing with a pennyfathing on a Velodrome? :shock: :lol:

I wanna see you doing a match race with one of those on the banks. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 am

Match race on a penny would be... entertaining, lucky the hospital isn't too far away.

Pic from the 3000mtrs, wish I could take photo's like that

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Well my next race is the Grafton to Inverall. Here's my training plan;

Long weekend
Saturday 1hour spin class + bike commute then train to Campbelltown and 100k ride to Bundanoon
Sunday 240k ride to Batemans bay via Braidwood
Monday 160k ride to Wollongong, but the trains are out so if they don't take my bike on the bus, its either 40k to waterfall or worse still 80k to Tempe

Following weekend
Saturday 1 hour spin class + 45 min spin class + bike commute then train to Campbelltown and 100k ride fixed to Bundanoon
Sunday 170k ride fixed to Tempe via Wollongong

Weekend before
Saturday 1 hour spin class + bike commute then rest
Sunday Long ride with James F, route & distance TBA

Then its on
Saturday 228k Grafton to Inverall. As I understand it, its pretty much 80k netural then 20k hill then the remaining 128k. I suspect I'll get dropped on the hill but will get up with the second group and hopefully we can form a paceline and get back with the weight weenies after 20 - 30k

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:45 am

mikesbytes wrote: I suspect I'll get dropped on the hill but will get up with the second group and hopefully we can form a paceline and get back with the weight weenies after 20 - 30k
Now listen here Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This little sentence here, is part of the problem with why you have varying degrees of good/bad results. :( You have already shot yourself in the foot and dropped out of contention for a good result. Start being a bit more positive and think to yourself, I am not going to get dropped but am going to make someone else hurt.

If I knew someone going down to ride, I would give them a cattle prod to hit you on the arse, to make sure that you get your finger out. :twisted:

Don't come back to me saying well that's how it will happen because you are not giving yourself a far chance of riding better. :roll:

Now start being positive and good luck with the race. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:42 am

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course it ain't over till the fat lady sings. If I got up the hill with the weight weenies I will be delighted. But I'm also not going to let myself be defeated if I don't. My estimations are based on what happened in the hills in the prior road races this year where I was dropped. I do feel that my climbing has improved a little though.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

mikesbytes wrote:Of course it ain't over till the fat lady sings. If I got up the hill with the weight weenies I will be delighted. But I'm also not going to let myself be defeated if I don't. My estimations are based on what happened in the hills in the prior road races this year where I was dropped. I do feel that my climbing has improved a little though.
Alberto "Pistolero" recommends unusually lean steaks for fat reduction needs. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Um small update, got another spin class to do

Long weekend
Saturday 1hour spin class + 45 min spin class + bike commute then train to Campbelltown and 100k ride to Bundanoon
Sunday 240k ride to Batemans bay via Braidwood
Monday 160k ride to Wollongong, but the trains are out so if they don't take my bike on the bus, its either 40k to waterfall or worse still 80k to Tempe

Following weekend
Saturday 1 hour spin class + 45 min spin class + bike commute then train to Campbelltown and 100k ride fixed to Bundanoon
Sunday 170k ride fixed to Tempe via Wollongong

Weekend before
Saturday 1 hour spin class + bike commute then rest
Sunday Long ride with James F, route & distance TBA

Then its on
Saturday 228k Grafton to Inverall. As I understand it, its pretty much 80k netural then 20k hill then the remaining 128k. I suspect I'll get dropped on the hill but will get up with the second group and hopefully we can form a paceline and get back with the weight weenies after 20 - 30k

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 am

Sveky

Postby Sveky » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm

You're a machine Mike! :D

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:43 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The epic ride is over, I'm feeling sore

533K + 2 spin classes

'cummon super compensation!

Mean Machine

Postby Mean Machine » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Um small update, got another spin class to do

Saturday 228k Grafton to Inverall. As I understand it, its pretty much 80k netural then 20k hill then the remaining 128k.
As I'm preparing for Grafton to Inverell as well, someone sent me a link to this guy's website. I take it he's going to write a few more articles on the topic.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks for the support guys, thanks for the link, I'm trying to convert a track type body into an endurance type body in 4 weeks. From the look of the info in the link I'll probably be about 50% of where I should be by 23rd October, that should be good enough to permit me to complete it, but not good enough to race it.

To Quote from his web site

* Race duration – this is a long race. Traditionally, it goes for over 6 hours, sometimes even 7.

I should be OK with this, while the weekend included lunch type breaks, it gave me the impression that I should be able to ride for 8 hours

* Climbing – the race features an almost 20km climb which starts at about 70km mark.

This is an unknown, I've never done a climb like this

* Shorter climbs and strong wind – once at the top of the range, more climbing awaits with some passes as long as 4km at 8%. Very strong winds are common.

4km at 8% is something I'm experienced with

I am not good in wind. I have done a lot training in wind this year and have improved, but I've still got a long way to go

* Fresh legs – to be competitive in this race, I need fresh, well rested and strong legs.

I'm not really tapering, but there's less stuff in the week proceeding
Sat Bike commute + 1 hour spin + 96.6k fixed
Sun 170k fixed coffee shop ride
Mon Bike commute + 45min spin
Tue Bike commute
Wed Longer bike commute + 2 45min spins
Thu Train to work, part drive north
Fri Drive the rest of the way to Grafton

Mean Machine, what you doing for preparation?

Mean Machine

Postby Mean Machine » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Mean Machine, what you doing for preparation?
Very similar program to what that Russian dude is doing. I'll do a few 6h rides though, he seems to be happy with 5h ones. I suppose it doesn't make any difference 5 or 6 as long as it's a quality ride.

God luck with the race, hey. Should be fun.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:50 am

I'm a long way behind you...

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 am

* Race duration – this is a long race. Traditionally, it goes for over 6 hours, sometimes even 7.

I should be OK with this, while the weekend included lunch type breaks, it gave me the impression that I should be able to ride for 8 hours
He's racing Div 1, and A and B Grade often finish in under 7 hours. C Grade typically finishes in 7.5 hours. I have assumed you'll be in C Grade/Div 3. They average just over 30 for that sort of time. For large sections of the race it can be like a club training ride. Except in unusual circumstances (warm with a tailwind for example, and with people willing to drive it most of the way, including the first 70 km) C Graders cannot average 33-34 km/h over that course, to do a time under 7 hours.
* Climbing – the race features an almost 20km climb which starts at about 70km mark.

This is an unknown, I've never done a climb like this
Yes, but it's not steep - it's like riding the Turramurra side of Bobbin Head for an hour. You HAVE to get into a good climbing rhythm, whilst ensuring there are people around you. If the group is climbing at a pace that is not comfortable for you, you have to back off. On the other hand, it's a long way to the finish from the top of the climb, so you don't want to be on your own. A Grade will often go hard out to the hill. In C Grade a hard ride to the bottom of the hill is unlikely.
* Shorter climbs and strong wind – once at the top of the range, more climbing awaits with some passes as long as 4km at 8%. Very strong winds are common.

4km at 8% is something I'm experienced with
There's nothing like that. Softwood Hill, Waterloo Range and Wire Gully get steep, but for nothing like 4 km. After Glen Innes, if you have to burn chips to stay with the pack up the steep bits, do so, because they don't last for that long. That last 70 km is generally downhill so in a bunch situation you should be feeling pretty good after a while. If not, you *should* be able to sit in.

The most painful section (at least it was in 1990) is a 20 km false flat between 120 and 100 to go, at a steady 1 or 2% uphill. Still 3-4 hours to go, you're feeling like crap, it can be cool, often with showers and a headwind. That's where Joe Grasso broke away with another rider (Greg Parkes from Sutherland, if anyone cares) in 1990 C Grade. Me and my friend, Dr Jones, knew he was going to go, saw him go, and from sitting in the bunch at maybe 25 km/h, there was nothing we could do about it. They didn't win though, Jason Pearce and Dr Bob Hampshire had already got away up the big climb. Those two suffered terribly (at one point they discussed sitting up despite having an 8 minute lead) but stayed away...
* Fresh legs – to be competitive in this race, I need fresh, well rested and strong legs.
Goes without saying.
I'm not really tapering, but there's less stuff in the week proceeding
Sat Bike commute + 1 hour spin + 96.6k fixed
Sun 170k fixed coffee shop ride
Mon Bike commute + 45min spin
Tue Bike commute
Wed Longer bike commute + 2 45min spins
Thu Train to work, part drive north
Fri Drive the rest of the way to Grafton
If it was me, I would ditch the fixie rides, do the same miles on the roadie. On Wednesday I would ditch either the commute or the spin classes. I would do nothing on Thursday, and on Friday, a light 10-20 km spin after arriving in Grafton. But that's just me...

What else? I had a cheesy pizza the night before the race, which was a poor option. Getting the mandatory minumum 6 weetbix in the next morning was a terrible struggle. Eat something big, full of calories but easily digested the night before. You cannot skip breakfast on the morning. Drink plenty of water before the race, and use the loo as late as possible before the start.

Check that everything is working on the bike. You DO NOT want a puncture (although it's one race where you could chase back on, provided the spares vehicle is somewhere close), so if any doubts, use the opportunity to throw new tyres on.

Finally, don't sell yourself short. It's a race, like any other. You can sprint and you have track speed. Most people in C Grade will have different skills. If you're with the leaders at the end, you're a chance, no matter how stuffed you are feeling.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:24 pm

rogan wrote:If it was me, I would ditch the fixie rides, do the same miles on the roadie. On Wednesday I would ditch either the commute or the spin classes. I would do nothing on Thursday, and on Friday, a light 10-20 km spin after arriving in Grafton. But that's just me...
+1. I would do a long ride at high cadence. You have the power, but you can't climb 20k like a sprinter pushing a big gear. You will have to try to maintain the same speed in a lower gear - i.e., higher cadence. I think you need to practice sustaining the higher cadence for a longer time than you normally would. I know you ride the track so you can do high cadence on the track, but doing it on rolling or hilly terrain is going to be different. Just my opinion though Mike. Looking forward to your report.

Get someone to take a picture of you near the top of the climb so we can see you suffering from the comfort of our computer screens :wink: