Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:28 pm

fats wrote:Awsome. I love awsome. :oops:
The real action is over here
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Saturday 5th December 2009

Southern Highlands Track Open - DGV
What happens when you report a race 3 weeks after doing, it, you forget. OK, here goes

That's right I started out crap and improved as the night went on

Qualification Scratch
After been off the front with Fats, doing half lap turns, we were swallowed by the pursing pack and that was that

Wheel race repocharge
Despite having a decent handicap, I went no where

Combined scratch
By this time I was riding better and despite riding up a grade, finished with the pack

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:21 am

The weekend of the Triple - a first for me racing 3 races in one weekend

Saturday evening 12 December 2009

Presidents Cup - DGV

A return to form

Scratch Qualification
Mark L did the jump with 3 laps to go, catching me off guard pined in at the back, I rolled back then out and around, chased and got 2nd, therefor qualifying.

Masters Scratch Race
3rd

2009/10 Men's President Cup Wheel Race Final
Initially pulled away well, when I wanted to roll there was some slower traffic in the way, so I did an extra half lap on the front before rolling, but I stuffed my roll and didn't get on the back. Did some maths and I was in 5th place with a sizable gap back to the next rider, so I pressed on in the wind hoping they wouldn't catch me, but they did.

Sunday morning 13th December 2009

Cronulla International - Masters 1 thru 4
I had been advised that the average speed would be 41 - 42 kph, so I was expecting that. What didn't work for me was being on the back, every lap we would slow down for the u-turn and then sprint down the back straight, hitting 50kph on most occasions, once we even went up the hill at 45kph. I lasted 11 of the 14 laps, not a bad result considering the speed of the field. I probably would of made it all the way to the end if I was further up the field, not wasting energy every lap, but getting up the field is an entirely different matter.

Sunday afternoon 13th December 2009

Handle Bar Community Christmas Party - DGV

We did 6 races, can I remember which ones?

Flying 200
13.38. That's 0.02 faster than my previous best, despite having done the Cronulla a few hours before

Matched Sprint against Mark L
I went straight up the banking, much to Crafty's concerns. When the tyres started to slide, I headed down the banking, did a little slide at the bottom and headed off. Mark L fell off. I figured that was victory for me, but Crafty said "restart". In the restart, Mark L took off with about 1.25 laps to go and I didn't manage to roll him

Wheel Race
Mark L, Christian and I were off 110, 120, 130. We worked together and I got 3rd in the end.

Graded Miss-em Out
Mark L, Christian and I worked together and when I rolled, I realised that A grade had caught us, I immediately attacked and I believe that Simon LLL was eliminated by Crafty said it was me.

Rider Motorpace
For want of a better name, I was teamed up with Tim LLL, the rules were that we weren't to overtake our designated leader. Tim rode a magnificent race and we won.

Flying 200 against Mark L
This time I attacked with 2 1/2 laps to go. Mark got my wheel and rolled me on the last corner, we were neck and neck around the corner, but Mark was quicker in the straight.

Monday 14th December 2009
Was totally dead after doing 3 race meets in one weekend

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:27 am

mikesbytes wrote:Matched Sprint against Mark L
I went straight up the banking, much to Crafty's concerns. When the tyres started to slide, I headed down the banking, did a little slide at the bottom and headed off. Mark L fell off. I figured that was victory for me, but Crafty said "restart".
So that was a test of,

1) Who had the grippier tyre.
2) Who had the greater body weight.

:mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:10 am

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Matched Sprint against Mark L
I went straight up the banking, much to Crafty's concerns. When the tyres started to slide, I headed down the banking, did a little slide at the bottom and headed off. Mark L fell off. I figured that was victory for me, but Crafty said "restart".
So that was a test of,

1) Who had the grippier tyre.
2) Who had the greater body weight.

:mrgreen:
Chicken

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Saturday 19th December 2009

Illawarra Track Open

Scratch warmup
After getting lost in Wollongong, I arrived at the track when the previous race was starting, raced down, signed up, someone put my numbers on, while someone else put my wheels on and I got dressed under a towel, just made the start line, with no gloves and didn't do my straps up.

3 lap scratch qualification
3rd, but I needed to come 1st to qualify

Wheel race qualifcation - 6 laps
Did a half decent start and was running about 5th, when I was overtaken by 4 riders, putting me back to about 9th, then the riders in front started to suffer a little and I picked them off one by one, finishing 3rd, therefor qualifying for the final.

Wheel race final - 6 laps
Started OK, but ended up swamped by the field on the last lap

Elimination Race aka miss-em-out
Really large field, comment on the start line was that it was going to be an endurance race. Got myself into about P4 and cruised around while they dropped off like fly's behind me, when numbers lowered, I squeezed thru a narrow gap and got on the front, slowly winding up the speed, with the riders behind me, strung out in a fish tail. After goodness knows how many laps, there were 3 of us left, we sprinted for the line and I was in the final 2, however the other rider was stronger than me so I settled for 2nd. Best miss-em-out result this year, the bogie has finally been defeated. $30 for my efforts too.

Combined Scratch Race - mystery laps
We went around and around, various people did attacks, but they simply didn't finish the race, about half the riders had dropped out, but Fats was still in there and then I said "I've got a race in the morning" as my legs were hurting for an unknown amount of laps and quit, but Fats held in. Finally about the same time as their tyres were about to wear out, the called the race. Well done Fats

fats

Postby fats » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 am

mikesbytes wrote:Finally about the same time as their tyres were about to wear out, the called the race.
LOL! It felt like that. After your endurance M'n'O it didn't surprise me you pulled out, and it was a pretty long night, 6 hard races.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:15 am

fats wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Finally about the same time as their tyres were about to wear out, the called the race.
LOL! It felt like that. After your endurance M'n'O it didn't surprise me you pulled out, and it was a pretty long night, 6 hard races.
Well done on that last race, you held in well

fats

Postby fats » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks Mike. But I have to give credit to the bunch for dragging me around. :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:10 am

Tuesday 29th December 2009

Christmas Carnival, round 1 - DGV

BNA members;
fats
alchemist
mikesbytes

Fats and Alchemist were riding in a different grade to me, so I didn't race them, both did well taking wins. Well done guys

Warmup Scratch Race 12 laps
The objective of this race was to come in the top 5, so to qualify for the wheel race. The field was fairly big and it did a big fishtail out, so I went down the inside and get to about mid pack. With riders rolling, I eventually reached the front with about 5 to go and rolled, but I didn't go to the back I stayed at the front, the next rider rolled and stayed at the front too, so I sucked his wheel, then a rider attacked around the outside and we all chased, with me having the luxury of a wheel to suck. On the last lap we were running 3,4,5, I went around the outside and finished 4th, there was nothing between 2nd and 4th but it didn't matter it was just qualifying.

One lap screemer

Wheel Race 7 laps
I went off 155mtrs and got on the back of 2 riders, when it came my turn to roll, I found there was a big train behind me, I decided not to roll to the back but then I ended out in the wind. In the end I decided to go to the back, but then the guy on the back blew up, I went around him but it was all too late. Two bad decisions;
1. not going around the 2 riders initially and just going for it
2. going to the back I should of stayed on the outside

Winners Race 20 laps, with winning sprints on laps 10, 12, 14, 16
I'm generally not good at winning sprints, so my strategy was to go with the first sprint and then keep going to win the second. Unfortunately everyone elses strategy was better than mine.

Handicap miss-em-out
I was put on 100 metres, along with a bunch of other riders, the handicap didn't make sense a similar rider to me was on scratch. We built a big bunch at the front and caught up to the scratch riders and didn't know what to do, should we lap them? so we sat there and waited for them to be all eliminated. I was in about 4th wheel of a big group and sat there until they all rolled leaving me on the top and then I went into the same strategy as Illaraware, of simply staying on the front and it worked for a while until we were down to 5 riders and Huw Gray managed to stuff himself in front of me, a mistake of mine for not protecting my position. Then I was boxed in and it was over, coming 5th. Not so bad.

Later I checked on the rules, as I wasn't sure if I could lap the scratch riders and I could of, so if I knew this at the time, I would of attacked early on, lapped the scratch riders, which would eliminated them, reducing the race by 3 laps and stringing out the field. this would work for me, as out the front I am burning energy, but I'm riding smoothly not burning energy sprinting every lap.

Lost Wheel
After the race, I went home without my front wheel, leaving it in the carpark. Upon discovering this disaster after arriving home, I drove back to the velodrome and after questioning various people, I talked to the security guard and he had seen a woman pick the wheel up, so I'm guessing she will bring it to tomorrows race, lets hope

fats

Postby fats » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 am

Great work Mike, you were looking strong to me. Hope you find your wheel. You can find my report here

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 am

fats wrote:Great work Mike, you were looking strong to me. Hope you find your wheel. You can find my report here
I'll have to bring the wheel off the fixie tonight. What's the grip like at Hurstville? I've never been there. My fixie wheel has a gator skin on it, I could swap it for a GP4000 or Pro2race

fats

Postby fats » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:08 am

I haven't raced there either Mike. Alchemist was telling me last night that he raced there earlier this year so he would be best bet to answer your question. I couldn't see a problem with either of those choices, but the Prorace 3 would roll quicker?

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 am

It's a fairly fast concrete track, painted orange(?)

No idea about rubber unless you want to ask me about mtb or 'cross tyres. Being lazy myself I'd leave the gatorskin on and have a roll around, bring one of the others and swap it if you feel it's too treacherous.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Christmas Carnival, round 2 - Hurstville

BNA members;
fats
alchemist
mikesbytes

Despite there major achievements yesterday, Fats and Alchemist continued riding in a different grade to me, so I didn't race them, both rode well, with fats taking the upper hand tonight. Well done guys

Wheels and tyres
As you can see from my previous post, I had lost my rear wheel, so I started the event with my fixie front wheel, so my configuration was;
Front - Velocity Deep V, 23mm Gator skin - 130psi
Rear - Mavic CXP23, 23mm Supersonic - 160psi yesterday not pumped up again, assuming about 150psi
after the first race I got my front back and my spanner :) so the configuration became;
Front - Mavic CXP23, 20mm Supersonic - 160psi yesterday not pumped up again, assuming about 150psi
Rear - Mavic CXP23, 23mm Supersonic - 160psi yesterday not pumped up again, assuming about 150psi
However on that surface it didn't seem to make a lot of difference

Warmup Scratch Race 10? laps
The objective of this race was to come in the top 5, so to qualify for the wheel race. I bumped the pace up a little when I got to the front, then I rolled and tried to stay near the front while looking for a wheel, I ended up on Theo's wheel, but he slowly went backwards. Once I was near the back I decided to go around and put myself near the front again. This and that happened, but in the end it was down to the last lap and having myself positioned near the front paid off as I was awarded 5th position in a photo finish and therefor qualified for the wheel race

Wheel Race 5 laps
I went off 170mtrs and didn't catch any wheels basically I sucked, the race was lost in the first half lap, I need better acceleration off the line.

One lap screemer
For once I actually started well and took 2nd. That's my best result ever in a one lap screemer, which isn't my type of event

Winners Race 16 laps, with winning sprints on laps remaining 9, 7, 5, 3
Strategy was to get up the pointy end and get off the front. After the first 2 sprints, I knew I wasn't going to win one and quit to save myself for the next race

Handicap miss-em-out
I was put on 80 metres, along with a bunch of other riders, the handicap make better sense but the rider I mentioned last time that was similar to me was still on scratch. The 80 metre bunch worked well together and we took off, but the scratch bunch were working even better and caught us, I rolled from the front, realised the situation and immediately moved back to the front. My legs were burnt, it wasn't possible for me to ride in the wind and stretch out the bunch, so I took the more risky option of following another rider and conserve energy. Anyway I was still at the pointy end and didn't need to sprint every lap. With about 6 riders left, I had a rider pinned in behind the front wheel, he tried to push his way out but I was having nothing of that and we banged handle bars. Eventually there was only 4 riders left and I was wasted, all I could do was follow another rider and hope that Paul was too burnt to respond to their sprint, while out in the wind, but Paul had some left in him and that was it for me. 4th place I'm happy with that.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Christmas Carnival rounds 3, 4 & 5

Kicking it up in a comfy hotel room in Melbourne while Fats and Achemist slug it out :)

fats

Postby fats » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 am

Slugged it out alright. I went into the final day with 12 points on Alchemist. The programme changed a little and with a wheelrace for each grade (no qualification) Alchemist rode a great race from 25m ahead of me as back marker. I couldn't get on his wheel and he grabbed the win to take 5 points off me. Pressure was on. If he beat me in the sprint I could have cracked so it was all or nothing for me. I had a chance though as it changed to a 3 lap derby and although the top 4 on points were in it, it really was a match race betwen Alchemist and I and I held him off from the front in a close one. I topped out at 57.8kpm which I didn't think was too bad on tired legs so he pushed me. This win gave me an unassailable lead of 9 points so I went out for the mistery lapper with no pressure and after Alchemist dragged our weary carcases around for about 8 laps, on lap 15 the bell went and I sprinted for second while Alchemist sat up not surprisingly.

So after surprising myself and lasting all 5 days it was fantastic fun to battle it out with Rob, race different tracks, meet great people and witness fantastic racing and championship battles across all the grades especially Tirian coming so close in A grade and grabbing 2nd place. Can't wait for next year.

I'll do a more detailed race report in my blog when I get some time.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm

So did you win the series?

fats

Postby fats » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

fats wrote: This win gave me an unassailable lead of 9 points
Sure did :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Well done

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:40 am

Australia Day Crit
D vs C vs B graded handicap

15 laps Heffron park long course (about 50 metres longer than the standard course LOL). Big fields

BNA riders;
Mikesbytes - C grade
Hinzie - C grade
Alex Simmons - ? grade

Hinzie was in the wrong grade, he should of been in D grade. I didn't see him, I'm guessing he was gone pretty early. Didn't see Alex Simmons. A couple of times durning the race it looked like C might split so I moved myself up but it didn't. The pace varied a lot between 34 and 48kph on the same lap. At the end I was boxed in and only recorded 54kph over the line, in those conditions I could of hit say 65kph, but there was no where to go. Finished about 15th according to a spectator. Average speed was 40.6kph, not the fastest I've raced but certainly the fastest I've been at Heffron park.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 pm

29th January 2009, at Tempe velodrome, I crash at about 50kph, breaking 4 ribs and puncturing a lung. So how do I celerbrate this even? By crashing tonight at Dunc Grey Velodrome at about 50kph. I rode over another bike and that caused the front to flat, so when I landed back on the track there was no grip in the fr...ont due to the flat and I immeadiately low slided. Managed to rip one of my feet out of the pedal despite preload being on max and double kerin straps. Surprisingly I seem tp be ok, just some brusing and a massive graze on my hip and some minor ones on my arm and knee. Destoryed a $150 skin suit on its 3rd ride. Shall see how I feel when I wake up, will probably roll out to Waterfall to see how the bod feels.
Image Image Image

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Ouch! That's not how I would organize an anniversary celebration. :shock:

Rest well and we can talk about the skinsuit later...

PS. Convert it to a skin-jersey. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:44 am

Hopefully you wake up not too sore!...bit better than last years effort then!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 am

Suffered some cramps overnight, the area where my neck meets my shoulders feels a little sore. I think I'll go out on the OCR, leave the fixie at home