Tour de Mike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tour de Mike

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Friday 25th March 2011

Australian Track Championships - Individual Pursuit 2000mtrs - 8 laps

Having found that I had no sprint at all in the previous points race and spending the evening sick, wondering how I could get my track bike back, which was locked to Computers track bike at the Velodrome, I picked up over night and elected to race.

One of only two riders not to have double disk or 3 spoke/disk wheel setups, I was at an equipment disadvantage. The other setup problem I have is that I can't get my stem any lower, I really need to get a 30deg 70mm stem so I can get lower. Anyway, the reality is that I don't have the right equipment.

Results: 2m40s average speed 45kph, 11th out of 12 riders. At least I bet last by 5s :)

2 years ago I would of been elated with that result, but the bar has lifted. This was the first 2,000mtr I've done, so I've got no comparative data. In 2009 I did the 3000mtr in 4m9s, which puts my 2,000mtr split 6s quicker, but its about nah impossible to compare 2 different distances.

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 am

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Sunday 3rd April 2011 MCCC Crit 30 minutes + 3 laps.

Grading
MCCC was graded in 5 divisions and I was placed in Division 4. I was a little surprised at this grading, so I mapped last years MCCC ITT times over the riders (mainly MCCC ones) in the divisions. It turned out that at last years MCCC ITT I was faster than half of the Div 2 riders, all of the Div 3 riders and was 1.5 minutes quicker than the next Div 4 rider. But comparing gradings by ITT times isn't exactly correct.

Sickie
Anyway that bug that I've had just refuses to go away and it had hit me again on Saturday. At that point I pulled the pin on my original plan of catching the train there and riding home after the race, I'd just do the race. Later in the day, after the race I had to lie down, dam bug go away, I blame you for my crap sprinting.

Breakaways
Most of the breakaways I went with or chased them down. The notable exception was when my team mate did the breakaway. Myself and another teammate sat on the front and tried to control the pace, but it was difficult, as the road is so wide, you can't cut the pace that much or the other riders will simply go around. Crafty got the impression we were chasing down the breakaway, but we weren't. In hindsight it was a mistake not to go when my teammate went I should of gone too. I wasn't exactly in the right place, Mark had attacked on the right and I was on the left slightly in, but the gap was there I could of exited the pack to the left and then motored across the track to him.

Prime
Got a comfortable bike length lead at the bottom of the corner and should of simply walked away with it, but when I went to sprint nothing happened, I hit a measly 50kph and naturally was swamped by about 4 riders. It was a eye opener that unless I got away off the front the race was history. Also after the prime I rolled back in the pack as I recovered, this was the first time I had seen any numbers in the race, the whole thing was been conducted by about 10 riders and the rest (30 to 40 in total) were just hanging on.

Getting there and finish
Having caught my breath, moved back to my normal position near the front then the team mate made the break, noted above in breakaways. After his breakaway failed, I had a go at going solo and drove the pack hard, but they managed to hang on and then we got the 3 laps to go, so I pulled up and we cruised around with no one attacking, spread across the road. On the last lap, I didn't have a wheel and moved back a bit in the pack which was a mistake, as I ended up too far back. Come the sprint I did a measly 53.5kph, finished 7th I think.

The pace in the race had gone up and down and the average ended up being 40.0kph. On that circuit, well within my ability, except I could sprint for jack. The division above average was 42.5kph and I'm sure I could of run that, not that I would of been there at the finish with my crap sprinting.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm

4pm Saturday 9th April 2011 Dulwich Hill Ominum, Tempe Velodrome

In the morning I smashed myself badly in my high performance spin class, so I wasn't expecting the world to be set on fire.

Flying 200
My legs felt like they were going to explode, but I seemed to have got on top the 96" gearing. The wind wasn't so bad. Time -> 13.36, only 0.16 outside my PB at Tempe. It should be noted that the guy doing the stopwatch had a beer before taking the time, not that I'm saying that the time was anything more than 100% accurate. It was 0.8 faster than last time I was there, also with rooted legs, but not quite as rooted as today, however it was windy.

We were divided into 4 groups of 4 riders, I was put in the second fastest group, then we did 1,000 matched racing (4 riders).
Race 1
4th out of 4, ie last. They got away from me after attacking with about 250mtrs to go. By the time I got on the wheel , it was all over.
Race 2
1st out of 4. This time I took a different strategy performing a false attack with 666mtrs to go, however one other rider did a real attack and we had to take minor evasive action not to take each other out and then it was a drag race to the end, the attacking rider got 20mtrs on me with 333mtrs to go, but I reeled him in with 150mtrs to go. One other rider got on my hip at 80mtrs to go, but it was mine.
Overall Result
Race one -> A, B, C, D
Race two -> D, C, B, A
as points were not worked out prior, it was considered a 4 way tie.

15 lap scratch race Group 1 and Group 2 combined - 7 riders, one was bumped to group 3,4 combined.
Nothing much happened for the first 5 laps and then the pace upped for the next 5 laps. Each time I got on the front, I slowed the pace a little. Then the attack happened, but a rider got on his wheel and I got on that wheel. With 410mtrs to go, I attacked, as I didn't want to leave it to 200mtrs as I was racing Div 1 elite riders, but it wasn't enough and they simply rolled past me, leaving me 4th.

Then we went to the German club for dinner and beers, its was Lindsay's birthday. Isn't that what track riding is about :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

Mike, I have noticed a reoccurring pattern with you and have to ask the question. Why do you insist when you have a race meet come up, do you insist on doing things that are counter productive to your results?? :?

I understand that you have a business to run but surely, you can work things better or am I missing something?????? :(

Sorry If that has not come out/across right (up since 4am yesterday) but you have the potential to go better, but you hold yourself back, with your decisions on the lead up to your events. I am frustrated mainly, because of my lost opportunities in my cycling years due to, politics and injuries. :(
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 am

I'm not 100% sure what you are saying, but I'm guessing you are saying "why do spin in the morning before a race" and the answer to that is in 2 parts;
1. I'm being paid to do it
2. Its still training

For important races I will try to get someone else to do the class.

Yesterdays race was just a club race

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:14 pm

That's what I was trying to say Mike, plus you don't seem to be giving yourself enough time to get over your doses of the dogs disease. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:32 pm

What's really interesting to me watching Mike's progress is that he doesn't ever seemed to get to that horrid overtrained phase. Despite his huge repeating weekly volume/intensity, he just never gets there. Just amazing! :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:That's what I was trying to say Mike, plus you don't seem to be giving yourself enough time to get over your doses of the dogs disease. :)
Yeh, that bug took me out good and proper and I missed the NSW track championships because of it. It still had its foot in there at the Australian track championships and that was evident when I couldn't sprint for points.

We have a team formed to enter the NSW TTT and we went out training together this morning. Getting ourselves working as a cohesive team.
sogood wrote:What's really interesting to me watching Mike's progress is that he doesn't ever seemed to get to that horrid overtrained phase. Despite his huge repeating weekly volume/intensity, he just never gets there. Just amazing! :roll:
I don't have a lot of control over what I do. I think I've toughened up to what I do and that has prevented the over train syndrome raising its head.

Probably the biggest risk is injury, though over the last 3 1/2 years since I started bike racing, the only injuries I've had that stopped me were crash related.

A photo from yesterdays club track racing

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Dam, I'm in A grade

http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... d92834189f

B grade always wins :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Well, B grade only just bet us

Sunday 17th April 2011 - DHBC criterion championships - part 2 40 minutes + 3 laps. Dunc Grey Criterion (DGC) track ((800mtrs)
A/B grade had a turnout of 8 riders. C/D had a decent turnout and E grade had 3. This event was A vs B graded handicap. As it turned out, we had 4 A graders and 4 B graders.

I had done 4 (yes 4) spin classes on Saturday and was fully expecting my legs to do nothing, but after feeling the ride over to DGC I downed an energy gel, which seemed to put them back on track.

B grade were sent on their way and we waited on the line and then we were sent on our merry way, Immediately forming into a TTT stlye formation, taking a lap each, but a few laps out and we lost a rider, taking us to 3 vs 4 in B grade. The bottom corner was damp and we were being cautious taking the corner at about 40kph.

About 20 min in, we are told that B grade has split up and we are 40 seconds behind and this puts some fire into us, ramping it up a little. Pace thru the bottom corner as upped to about 42kph, as we get more confident with the grip. Some laps we were slowed by E,D,C grades respectively, thru the corner, but that would of happened to B at times too.

But then we loose a second rider, leaving 2 of us, with the gap down to 30 seconds. We also hear that C grade has reformed, by that they mean the remaining 2 riders as we have seen the other 2 blown. By now we have the bit between the teeth and the pace is hitting 45kph thru the bottom corner which with the right line and avoid the remaining dampness.

The gap remains at 30 seconds and then we ramp it up even more, we are on our limits, and then its 24 seconds, but time is running out, my computer says 3 minutes + 3 laps. We are told 3 laps and its 14 seconds. 2 laps to go and we can see them, 1 laps and we are almost there. With a good turn of speed thru the bottom corner and we are on them, but we are also wasted, no response to the sprint and I come 4th, second in A grade.

This is the first time that A has caught B, though we didn't beat them, its a victory in itself.

Points earned = 5, not enough though and I've dropped from 3rd in the championship to 4th. If I was in C grade I would of got 8 points for a DNF :roll:

Club results -> http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2230

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 am

Good effort there Mike! :)

They give you points for not finishing races now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang, how things have changed. :roll:
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:29 am

They are doing a ranking from 1st to last, so if there's a big turnout you get more points. In C/D they didn't know the placings past 3rd, so they awarded 4th - 8th with 4th place which worked out at 8 points. Should raise some debate.

I've dropped from 3rd to 4th in the championship, which still leaves me in A grade. But (I think) the next round is the same day as the NSW master road racing championships, so I'll might drop low enough to get bumped to B grade, then [he he] I'll turn up with fresh legs and drag B grade around to smash my way back up the ladder :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Last edited by mikesbytes on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added course profile

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Tour of Canberra Day 1 - M4+ category 55 entrants
55k road race
Held on for grim life on the hills and ended up in the front group of say 30 riders that become 15 riders by the end. One rider went off the front and the rest finished in a bunch. I got no time bonus's and ended up 57 seconds behind the winner, though I was on same time or +2 seconds on the rest. I'm pretty pleased with my hill climbing, so much better than last year.

20k Individual Time Trail
The profile shows that it was flat....NOT. 17th, time was 32.12, something like 2.20 behind the winner. The winner of the 55k was 2nd.

Results haven't been posted, but it seems that I'm 3min + time bonus's behind the leader. No way I'm going to podium but I'm way happy with that.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice job Mike! What kind of aero kit did the guys ahead of you have in the ITT?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:38 pm

sogood wrote:Nice job Mike! What kind of aero kit did the guys ahead of you have in the ITT?
The winner had a full TT bike, wheels and kit.

I was using the road bike with a shorter stem and clip-ons, though I did have aero helmet, skin suit and TT socks.

Some riders just used their road kit as is.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 am

Combined times including time bonus's are up. I'm in 13th place +4.10 in arrears. There's a number of riders around me with similar times.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Stage 3 today - 80k
As if you could have a hillier course that yesterday, that was proven today.

The fist half the race was uneventful, I worked hard on some hills to stay with the front runners in case there was a breakaway, but didn't happen. Turnaround my speedo said 42.2k at the turnaround, so I figured on 84.4k for actual distance.

On the way out we had descended down this massive hill and as it was out and back I knew it was coming and when it did I put everything I had into it and stayed with the front runners. There was about 15 of us left at the front, but about 8k later we were joined with about 10 riders who had chased us. Then came the last massive hill of the day, called the 3 sisters as its like 3 hills on top of each other with about 20mtrs of road between them. I was dropped on the last hill, but ironically I got back on at powering up the next hill, only 13 left by now. By now there was 7k to go and I was thinking about a stage win. With about 2k to the turnoff to Mt Strombo Crit course, I went to the front and got 2nd wheel going onto the crit course. With about 500mtr to go, I made my move and got about 30mtrs on the bunch and took it thru the long right hand sweeper into the front straight, but was swallowed on the straight, however I did record ST as the winner, though I didn't get any time bonus's. End result was that I moved up 2 places in the GC.

Final Standing: 11th.

I'm happy with that, I've proven that my hill climbing ability has improved to a point where I can get up most hills without being dropped and I can still respond to attacks and make the odd attack myself.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 am

So you're looking good for this years Grafton to Inverell Mike? 8)
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 am

foo on patrol wrote:So you're looking good for this years Grafton to Inverell Mike? 8)
I feel I'm in a position to get up that 18k hill with the front runners

eon

Postby eon » Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm

nice work Mike :!: :!: :!:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Eddie Sales Cup

7am Sunday 8th May 2011 Eastern Creek Raceway

A grade 75minutes + 1 lap.

The pace was a bit pedestrian, though we did respond to a couple of attacks, in particular on the front straight, where I saw 60kph on the speedo on one lap. I decided I'd do an attack at some point and picked the old favorite of straight after the prime sprint. Not contesting the prime, I expected other riders to have the same plan and they did, but we didn't get out act together and most of the other riders simply quit. I played at the front for a couple of laps, going off with whoever turned up, one of which was Alex Simmons, but nothing formed. Last lap I moved up close to the front, but lost some places going up the hill. On the last corner, a rider fell off in front of me, possibly a wheel touch, I went right and squeezed around, then as it collected on the other side I got swashed and had to lean really heavily on another rider, who had to lean really heavily on me. I'm sure glad it was an experience rider, cos if either of us hadn't leaned hard on the other our bikes would of come together and we would of hit the deck. Just rolled to the line after that. My achievement today was staying upright.

Ave speed was a measly 40.5kph. Distance 55k, 14 laps

Congratulations to Alex Simmons on his victory

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 pm

The Turbo Studio dudes are looking mean! Nice job guys. :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Saturday 14th May 2011

NSW Masters Road Racing Championships

Conditions in Goulburn for this race were cold, windy and sunny.

Something like 50 riders, I don't know the exact amount
0-10k The pace was hot in the cross wind and riders were already being dropped
10 - 15k Dropped on the hill at 10k, I worked really hard with a bunch of 4 riders to ride back on
15 - 25k I felt comfortable in the bunch but it split up going up a hill at 25k. By this point most of climbers had been dropped by the more powerful riders.
25 - 35k The first group of riders I worked with broke apart and I ended up riding solo up to the next bunch or riders who wern't going that well up a hill, so I just rode past them, however they caught me on the downhill and then we worked really hard, we rode thru the motorcade and got within a few metres of the bunch but didn't get on.
35 - 55k At 35k I rode off solo and once again went thru the motorcade to go within about 20mtrs of the bunch only not to get on. Eventually the pursuing bunch caught me and we worked really hard again to get up to the back of motorcade but not past as we went up the hill at 52k. On the other side the main bunch simply rode away from us. Then at about 55k I was dropped from the pursuing bunch.
55k - 72k At the base of big hill segment (62 - 72k) I could still see the leading bunch, but I was spent, 7k solo didn't exactly help either. I knew there was no way I could catch them and focused on the hills in front of me. Eventually another rider caught me but it was short lived and then another rider caught me and this time we worked together
72 - 82k Started with a big downhill then we rode directly into a headwind on open planes, it was tough work, but we caught the other solo rider just at the end.
82 - 85k What a relief, we turned right and got cross wind, which was so much better than that head wind, we rolled together. With a couple of hundred meters to go, one said that he wouldn't sprint for it, so I asked the other if he wanted to sprint and he said yes, so we sprinted with 50mtrs to go and I bet him. Comment on the line was that I was only about 3 minutes behind the winner, but I suspect it would of been more than that.

I don't know my finish place, but I suspect something like 20 - 25th out of 50. Will wait for the results to be posted in a couple of days.

In the bunch sprint for the win were riders that I had successfully competed against in the Canberra Tour and in the Australian track champs points race, so I should of done better than I did, but having said that, a lot of riders who didn't finish with the bunch.