Race Report Thread

JV911

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby JV911 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 am

toolonglegs wrote::lol: Kiwi...but ex Sydney-sider involved in an Aussie cycle tour company for the French tours (but only in the last year)... so close.
any jobs going? :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Not this year ;-) ...
Nice report Chris... I know some of the riders of who you speak ;-) .
I started cx last winter and can't wait for next season... Super hard hour of suffering but as it is only one hour you can stick it out.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Not this year ;-) ...
bugger
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:58 am

"I shouldn't be racing". I told myself this during last week after having done very little over the past 3-4 weeks. Even on saturday after a crap 50km flat training ride I muttered the same words to myself. So when my mate rings on saturday arvo and asks, "are you racing tomorrow?" what did I say. "yep, no worries".

Sunday Crit' with SMCC at Casey Fields. 10 minutes before we started it started raining, and didn't stop. I've never raced a crit in rain before, but there were no troubles at all in this race. Not one crash for the day across 6 grades.

I was in "B" grade (I think 22 riders) and off we went from the start. A race full of surges and break attempts. It was cold, wet and hard racing. My hr average was 153, max 181. Not too bad actually. I did a bit of work on the front, rolled off the front a couple of times as well. I was struggling but never in danger of being dropped. About 35-40 minutes in 3 go off the front, they are strong riders, then another goes. I'm 3rd wheel in the group and know if the 4th guy gets to the other guys we are in trouble. So I try to bridge the 80-100 metres. I get to the 4th guys and do a couple of turns with him and we are joined by another guy. I can't keep it up and when i'm 30 metres off the break I blow up. The others get there. This group, plus another who joined up, gain time on us every lap and win comfortably (they went past A grade). I finished with the bunch, suffering from sore legs at the end. Getting off the bike I nearly couldn't walk due to being seated in the cold working my unfit body a little more than it should have been.

No placing, but I was really happy with being able to work well in bunch during a hard days racing. 44.5 km's at about 38.0 km/h av'
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 pm

any races this saturday guys? cant find any in western sydney. . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

gistane

Postby gistane » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:51 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:any races this saturday guys? cant find any in western sydney. . .
There is racing on Saturday afternoon at Lansdowne http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/calendar.html

Depending how old you are there is Masters racing on Sunday morning at Eastern Creek Dragway

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 pm

gistane wrote:
redcorpsjames wrote:any races this saturday guys? cant find any in western sydney. . .
There is racing on Saturday afternoon at Lansdowne http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/calendar.html

Depending how old you are there is Masters racing on Sunday morning at Eastern Creek Dragway
cheers i wanted to race this last w.e but it rained. just assumed it wouldnt be on every weekend.
Merida Scultura 905 2013

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 am

Bankstown club do a good criterium. Dirt cheap entry and no prize money. Less competition, but fewer tossers. I might head out that way myself.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:03 am

Bankstown Sports run the Saturday Arvo race opposite Parramatta at Oakville.

Good racing, always clean, and the prize is generally a small raffle prize.

Its good racing for the sake of racing, rather than for a buck. The guys are friendly as well!!!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Lansdowne Bankstown cc:

I am usually a d grade rider but today they moved me to c grade because they really pressured me to do so? So i did. I ended up coming 2nd behind another Parra rider. I am still searching for my first win. However this race really opened my eyes up to what my limits actually are. It was a great sunny day. possibly the best day racing I have had in a while 8)
Merida Scultura 905 2013

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Way to go mate,now you might understand why some guys often suggest pushing yourself as it often drags more out of you. Haven't raced there but sound good. Once again good result!!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm

BNE 9/6/12 Nundah Dome
HPRW CC had their age championships this morning. We had around 15 riders in Masters 5. 35 minute race.
mostly a C grade pack, and 4 B graders.
The C graders were a bit nervous as to what the Bs would get up to, so most were tentative. I'd already decided I had no chance in the final sprint, and I'm sick of trying to get my gumby mates to work in a break; so decided to keep everyone honest. :)
A team mate and I led the first lap then let the others roll through. Not much was happening, so I did a lot more work on the front in the first half not caring if I wasn't around for the final lap.

Eventually the M6 group passed us.....haha...but no one seemed interested in picking the speed up. I moved to the front, and sensed one of the B graders was going to attack and get in front of the M6 group in the Ss, where it would be difficult for the pack to follow. And BANG, off he goes. I went with him him, and after 70 metres he looks back and sees me and gives it up, which is a pity, because we could have worked together to split our pack. (Lesson learned is to roll through and encourage him to come).

Anyway, I did a bit more on the front, especially lifting the pace into the straight which had a bit of head in it. Then at 2 laps to go, the pace was slowing again. It had been my goal not to let the sprinters walk away with it in the last lap. So out of the Ss in the 2nd last lap I gunned it around the bend and up the straight, and spread the field. pace was probably 48-50 which I held for 500 metres, but that redlined me and I pulled left to let them pass and was too cooked to get on the back. someone else kept the pace up, and from what I saw the sprinters were hurting before the final straight. Talking to the guys later, the pace dropped off with 400 metres to go and it was a shorter sprint. One of my team mates picked it up, and was just pipped on the line but got 2nd.

Looking back, I could have saved my 'one' good sprint for the final half lap and led my mate from the back similar to what I did a few weeks ago, but it was difficult to know what the B graders were going to do, and a couple were big and strong.

Anyway, it was a good result for my team. Of the Masters guys I train with, we claimed the M3 and 8 championships, and got 2nd in M5 and 6.

I learned a lesson today, and that is to stop writing myself off. If I'd saved that sprint for the final lap, and passed the leaders with a 10kph speed differential at 350 metres to go, with my mate on my wheel, it would have been a very different finish.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:52 am

Race Report

Dog Hill road race PDCC E Grade report

Smaller group than usual, only six of us. The surprise was there equal number of men & women. Cassia who came off my wheel to pip my for 5th place at Nambeelup. Justina who flew past me at Serpentine for 3rd, just missing 2nd and was the best performing E grader and a very solid 11th overall at the Dwellingup West Handicap race, and the new girl Zoe. The men, myself, Scott who I had beaten at both our previous encounters and Ken who I had narrowly beaten, twice before even though he is 20 years my senior. So yes I was more worried about the women.

As I was suffering from a cold, the best I was hoping for was a 2nd or 3rd. My tactics, do not be aggressive, don't animate, be quiet, take your turn and if necessary chase people down who attacked and keep everything for a final sprint. I was expecting to battle it out with Cassia for 2nd spot as we watched Justina sprint to victory.

The race was quiet, nobody attacked, nobody was overly aggressive. Even when I went to the front it was always at tempo, rarely touching threshold except up a couple of short inclines. As we approached the end of the third and final lap the pace was up, but nobody had attacked. I found myself on the left, behind Scott, with Justina beside him, Cassia just outside her and Zoe on Justina's wheel. I was trapped and wondering what to do, when Scott with about 500m to go, moved slightly off his line, giving me an opportunity to pass him on the left, and that was all I need. Full sprint for the finish. I think I caught everybody by surprise, as I did not hear anybody behind me. Still I kept my head down and pushed, until about 50m from the line, as my legs tired, I checked over my shoulder, nobody behind and cruised to the win.

Scott sprinted home for 2nd, just ahead of Zoe, Justina 4th, Cassia 5th and Ken not that far away.

(edited to get the names right & placings correct)
Last edited by nickobec on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 am

Nice win :D .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 am

You're starting think in the right direction now Pawpaw. :wink: You should always leave some fuel in the tank and if possible premium fuel at that. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:36 am

You gotta love it when the Gods grant you an opening Nickobec, good win. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:39 am

redcorpsjames wrote:Lansdowne Bankstown cc:

I am usually a d grade rider but today they moved me to c grade because they really pressured me to do so? So i did. I ended up coming 2nd behind another Parra rider. I am still searching for my first win. However this race really opened my eyes up to what my limits actually are. It was a great sunny day. possibly the best day racing I have had in a while 8)

Some blokes/girls never twig to this bit of truth and never find out, what they are capable of. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You're starting think in the right direction now Pawpaw. :wink: You should always leave some fuel in the tank and if possible premium fuel at that. :)

Foo
Thanks Foo. yeah, I suppose I'm still a little averse to the final lap, after breaking ribs. Nevertheless, with the smaller fields, staying strong in the final lap will hopefully keep me out of harm's way.
I'm also starting to realize there's a lot of other guys who also don't want to sprint at the end, presumably for self preservation reasons.

Anyway, I have to say I'm learning something every time I go out. What was great about Sat was talking to one of the sprinters who regularly places. He was cooked before the final sprint.... I realized the strategy of attacking and keeping the pace on in the final two laps has merit.....now I just need to share that work :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 am

Race report before I try to sleep... a bit hyper today :oops: .
Only 5 days now till one of my big objectives for the year... so I wanted a hard test today. Well the weather was CRAP and the course didn't really suit me. But I went anyway.
Only 2 others from my club turned up... 22 in total I think in Cat2, about 40-60 less than usual but 12 times around a 5.5km course with a 700m climb at 6.5% in pouring rain at 11 degrees will do that :lol: .
We hit the climb after about 400 meters and I was very glad no one attacked it... to be honest I wasn't feeling amazing, still don't, bit tight in the chest with a bit of asthma I think, not great in the damp!.
Anyway 2nd time around wasn't too hard either... but us big fellas are always better setting our own pace instead of trying to accelerate with the whippets!. So next time around it was HTFU and I set a hard pace on the climb... got passed half way up but happily sat in the bunch... I think we dropped about 4 or 5 then including a club mate. Sat in the bunch till the long gentle downhill straight into the wind. I rolled to front and attacked again... easily got a gap and tucked down and went for it. One guy tried to bridge across but that would be a problem for me as I wasn't actually planning on winning so I didn't wait for him.
Anyway 4 laps or so latter they were so far behind I couldn't see them (90 secs apparently) so I decided to sit up and roll a bit quieter :cry: ... yup if I had kept going I think I could have done it, especially out of sight out of mind... but seeing that I dropped back a grade at the start of the season it wouldn't be a good look for the club.
Anyway they caught me with 4 laps to go... tried to get my club mate to attack as he is very strong climber but I really don't understand how he works and even though he tried once it didn't happen. I told him to attack the climb on the last lap as there were only 12 of us left and I was 100% sure it would break up... but he sat at the back for some reason and 2 went away and that was it.
Anyway good test for next week... I won't feel like a burglar there as it will be a bunch of 160 with 120 of them being Cat1's :shock: .
I won't say 100% that I will put myself up next time I race locally as I have 8 or 9 weeks away coming soon and when I get back the season will be nearly over... but today did suck a bit!.
And I still don't feel 100%.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:19 pm

toolonglegs wrote:tried to get my club mate to attack as he is very strong climber but I really don't understand how he works and even though he tried once it didn't happen. I told him to attack the climb on the last lap as there were only 12 of us left and I was 100% sure it would break up... but he sat at the back for some reason and 2 went away and that was it.
I've found it difficult to get on the same page as most of my training mates. Suppose we're all middle aged, and have more variability in our form from week to week. But often, it's so hard before a race to get them organized to work together, let alone try to plan something opportunistic during.
But then, I guess the more we get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses, the trust will come to pull together.

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:42 pm

This guy races more than anyone in the club but he races very dumb considering he is pretty strong on climbs. Plus yesterday was probably one of the toughest local courses. One of the reasons I dropped back apart from coming back from injury was to help the others from my club, but if they never turn up or race like crap what's the point!.
Anyway it was a fun race and if I had raced in the very small cat1 field I might have been dropped.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 pm

First race in 9 weeks on Sat, and only my second race since late March. 49km handicap, 20-odd in the bunch and most of them clueless as to how to ride a pace line. Managed to stay on for the early climbs, did some efforts on the front on the downhill/flats and stayed tucked away in the back of the bunch for the rest of it. We caught D & C within 20km, and stayed away from A until 5km from the end, but 40+ riders racing uphill for the line was asking for trouble so I played safe and rolled over the line in 24'th place, 39kph average. No mean/maximal power records, but I was only a few % off best efforts for everything from 10 minutes through to 30 minutes and still had a "sprint" at the end. But I didn't warm down and was rewarded with a bout of asthma... and I hadn't packed the ventolin. All good again now, but I won't make that mistake again.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Porridgewog wrote:Way to go mate,now you might understand why some guys often suggest pushing yourself as it often drags more out of you. Haven't raced there but sound good. Once again good result!!
Cheers PW. yeah its a really fun place to ride. very fast downhill parts
Merida Scultura 905 2013

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 am

Prologue Route de Saône et Loire.
Crap... Already 13 seconds down!... Prologue was a bit crazy... Only 2.6kms but after first 900m you hit a climb of 2-300 meters at about 15% average...Quick descent and then another climb about the same length but at a bit easier grade. Then crazy steep descent into 90 degree corner and back into the centre of town ... Add in about 10 cobbled sections, some very rough and you have killer 4.45 seconds for me... Oh well I did better than some... 76th out of 150 ( 16th in my grade ) ...
Huge crowd was cool and I aim to enjoy myself as it is probably the biggest race i can compete in. Looking forward to tomorrow haha!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 am

Wicked 2.6k
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?