Race Report Thread

Alain

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Alain » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Any report from the Northern Combine Champs? Jules? I heard it was pretty fiercely contested across each age group.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:21 pm

BNA: Sunday looked like perfect spring conditions and light winds for the Ashfield Cycles Specialized Cup out at Eastern Creek Raceway. Numbers were down a little on some years with 43 riders in Div 1. Any tactics you had going into the race FT?
FT: I have been feeling good after the Battle of the Bridge race series which our club won, so I was keen to animate the race where possible.
BNA: So you made it into the first break, but it looked like the peloton wasn’t going to let you stay away.
FT: It was pretty messy for a lap or two with many riders trying to get that first break going. When it established there were about 8 of us I think. I was right on the limit and was just rolling through not picking up the tempo, though a couple of riders were pushing it on strongly. That said there were a couple of riders over their limit who would try to pull into second wheel and not take a turn. I am not sure I could have lasted more than a couple of laps at that pace myself.
BNA: After the first break we didn’t see so much of you?
FT: I dropped back to mid pack, but I did make my way to the front again. It was similar there, riders going off the front all the time. Little breaks establishing for a quarter of a lap then being consumed by the peloton.
BNA: the break of the day formed about half-way through, about 25km into the Kermesse, but you were not able to get across?
FT: No. Look I tried twice, I bridged to a rider dragging about 5 behind, then rolled off but no-one took up the chase and we were soon back in the bunch. I was not strong enough to make it more than half way across. The second time was similar, I worked with one other guy and we closed about half the gap but those behind disrupted the chase. I only had one effort in me per lap, they were only about 1 to 2min efforts but that was not enough to close the gap.
BNA: The break got out to a quarter of a lap at most. It is unusual that a break of 10 or more riders with some big names does not stay away on the GP circuit. There has been a lot of criticism of so called ‘negative racing’ and that certainly looked like what you were up to, what was with all the work on the front?
FT: It would be a lie to say the break was caught because of me. Yes, lots of people here ask ‘why are you working to bring the break back?’ A couple of reasons; cause it was there and I wasn’t in it and because I didn’t come to the race to mope about in a group ride for 25km, I came to race hard. There were a few of us with the same idea so we did hard turns. I drew the short straw for some reason and it was always my turn to drive up the climb on the back of the course which hurt a lot. But I only had to do one turn every 3km so it was doable.
BNA: Would you like to talk about the incident during this phase of the race, some reports were that it wasn’t that sportsmanlike of you?
FT: Sure. Look, I am pretty embarrassed about it. This rider, #112, had dropped in on me as I was trying to roll to the front on the previous lap. I then had to go around him to get to the front and do my turn. That doesn’t sound like much, but when you are riding right on the edge of the red-zone it is really irritating. Next lap, same rider, same thing. So I yelled at him. I told him to stay out of the rotation. But it escalated, he came up beside me and said that I didn’t understand, that he had been following an attack – this was not true. Then he gave himself away, he said he wasn’t stupid and wasn’t going to burn himself out pulling turns in the bunch. So I swore at him and told him to stay at the back. I think I even pointed at him threateningly. That said, he did stay out of the rotation and we got a good rhythm going. Two of the riders working with me said I did the right thing and that they had also cleared out unhelpful riders by yelling at them. Still, I feel bad about the swearing – sorry #112.
BNA: Bad FT.
FT: Yep bad FT. But, there were about 6 or so of us and we really worked well. We caught the break with about two laps to go. I was really happy with that, I worked really hard to do it though.
BNA: So, we saw you coming into the finishing straight about 15th, and sitting on the race winners wheel. Then you weren’t there anymore. What happened?
FT: Argh! I moved up really well, got to a perfect spot and felt that I had some matches left. Then at the top of the straight I was on the ‘the’ wheel. I knew who it was of course. He was quite far back I thought, but I resolved to hold that wheel as he worked forward. So at 400m I am at 120rpm, he starts to move up, I click down and try to spin up the gear, I drop 20rpm but I can’t get the gear spinning, I max out and 110 rpm and just under 70kmh. It was all I had. I watched him kick and win.
BNA: So on Strava you put yourself down for 9th, but a look at the race video calls that into question FT?
FT: Yep. Totally overestimated. Looks like I was around 14th unfortunately.
BNA: But you gave it everything, had nothing left, raced well, you must be happy?
FT: You would think so. Quite a few riders came up and said well done after the race, so I animated the race I guess. But I didn’t have the power at the end. There isn’t much in it. A rider I know was putting out only 100watts more than me, 1kmh faster, and came 4th. So it is marginal, but disappointing that I don’t have more ability I guess.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Excellent format FT. The quality of the race reports recently have really taken it up a few notches!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 am

Nice report FT! Sounds like you are really mixing it up there at the pointy end. Good work. 8)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Hey FT,you do what you have to to get rid of pains in the arse. :wink: Don't apologise for swearing at a nob! :!: I'm a firm believer in ..... take no prisoners and get rid of the dead wood. Well done mate. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:48 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Hey FT,you do what you have to to get rid of pains in the arse. :wink: Don't apologise for swearing at a nob! :!: I'm a firm believer in ..... take no prisoners and get rid of the dead wood. Well done mate. :)

Foo

Thanks Foo

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Hey FT,you do what you have to to get rid of pains in the arse. :wink: Don't apologise for swearing at a nob! :!: I'm a firm believer in ..... take no prisoners and get rid of the dead wood. Well done mate. :)

Foo
Yep my sentiments also Foo. If something needs to be said in a race, say it.

Row-D

Postby Row-D » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 am

ft_critical wrote:Two of the riders working with me said I did the right thing and that they had also cleared out unhelpful riders by yelling at them. Still, I feel bad about the swearing – sorry #112.
I was on the front when you had that "conversation" with him and have no problems with it. Personally, I think he should have been pulled from the race purely based on how dirty his bike was :P If not for that then definitely for the lack of bar end caps.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Row-D wrote:I was on the front when you had that "conversation" with him and have no problems with it. Personally, I think he should have been pulled from the race purely based on how dirty his bike was :P If not for that then definitely for the lack of bar end caps.
Very funny. Good job working too. It was good to catch the break!

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Cycling NSW Goulburn Great Divide Div 3

This race wasn't easy but then again it wasn't too hard either. Into the wind there were several times where we all called a truce and made our own "feed" zone but after that it was back on full gas. On the second lap we were dropping riders left right and center as anyone who got caught in the wind with the strung out peloton was essentially a lose cause.

I managed third place after some exceptional work from a teammate to line me up for the final kick. Well worth the travel out!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:15 pm

West Head Elite A

90km, 1500m elevation, 39.4kmh.

So, this was my test for the Nationals. The video looks great (from Aug not Sep), a bit like the helicopter footage you see on TV. I can assure you that when you are riding in a race it is not beautiful. It is only tarmac and tyres that you see.

My race report is: all race, every climb, I said, ‘hang on, every second you last makes you stronger’ this lasted for 2hrs and 16min.

Lap 1, for reference, some of the 11 punchy climbs:
• Waratah climb, 600m, 4%, 31.4kmh, 402w,
• Salvation Loop to Willunga, 1km, 4%, 29.4kmh, 377w. I hate this climb, it is my nemesis, the last section is 6% but it is 200m to long.

Okay, I am bored with this too. But I finished in the bunch and was surprised and happy with that.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 am

ft_critical wrote: My race report is: all race, every climb, I said, ‘hang on, every second you last makes you stronger’ this lasted for 2hrs and 16min.

Lap 1, for reference, some of the 11 punchy climbs:
• Waratah climb, 600m, 4%, 31.4kmh, 402w,
• Salvation Loop to Willunga, 1km, 4%, 29.4kmh, 377w. I hate this climb, it is my nemesis, the last section is 6% but it is 200m to long.

Okay, I am bored with this too. But I finished in the bunch and was surprised and happy with that.
Are you backing up for "The Wall" this weekend? I went out and rode West Head on Sunday as part of my Endurance ride, and I was just cursing going up those darn hills thinking to myself, why on earth did you request Group 4 when you could have probably asked for a lounge chair seat in Group 6? Of course, there is always the chance that the handicapper will completely ignore my request and stick me in Limit where I belong ;-)

My expectations for this weekend are to finish, preferably not last. Race Report to come afterwards.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Guys,

Been off here for a while :(
I can reply to the Spec cup thread, the break was strong, I was in it and I won the prime pretty easy and honestly the race was over. However myself and another rider lets call him Peter decided we would race each other. He would attack I would bring the break back across, he would attack I would bring the break back across and repeat and repeat until no one else would do a turn and we got caught.

At this stage I was going to to everything in my power to make sure said person would not win so I may or may not have worked with Nash where I would make sure it was all together with 400m to go and Nash would sprint. I kept the race together on the last lap and peter hit us coming onto the straight. I let him go and then held over 1000w for 30 sec with Nash on my wheel to bring him back and for Nash to win.

All is fair in love, war and bike races.....

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:43 am

i will report on the Masters Nationals later if anyone cares ?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:21 pm

queequeg wrote:Are you backing up for "The Wall" this weekend?
Hi QQ, yes. But I am a bit burned out. I put myself down for group 3, but to be honest, I wrote to Manly and begged for a lower group based on my form in Griffith. See you there, I will say hi, I know roughly what you look like I think.
trek52 wrote:I can reply to the Spec cup thread, the break was strong, I was in it and I won the prime pretty easy and honestly the race was over.
I said hi to someone who looked like what I imagine you look like, but of course it wasn’t you.
trek52 wrote:i will report on the Masters Nationals later if anyone cares ?
I am interested please based on the results and based on someone, let’s call him Peter, not winning the road race. For us mortal riders, if you could mention that you suffered, that it hurt (even if you have to lie) etc., not just that you can hold 1000w for 30sec at the end of a very hard race – which just humiliates people like me. Interested in the Crit report too – I didn’t see the M3 race as I had a plane to catch.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:39 pm

trek52 wrote:i will report on the Masters Nationals later if anyone cares ?
Yes please, preferably with lots of exaggerated stories, how the M3 field was destroyed half way through the first lap in the RR, or how dizzy you got doing the Crit, which appeared to look like the Hadron Collider.

As an M3 rider with zero talent it's good to see what people my age who train can achieve.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Masters Nationals M3 Road Race 3rd place
So i had done a bit of work leading into this race to be fit for it, I felt i was on form. The field was bloody strong and the circuit looked like it would suit me so the plan was to sit in for the first few laps then in the last 2 laps look for the split and try to be somewhere near the front group with a km to go and then see what happens....
Well the first lap was fast, real fast and windy as hell. After 5km I knew that there was only going to be a few guys finish, 48 of us hit the first climb and it was single file in the dirt pretty much from the bottom. I nearly poo'd my pants to stay there, 442w np for 5 min. When we got to the top there was 11 of us left, all pretty much NRS level once upon a time or higher !!
A few got back on and the 2 time up the climb we actually went harder, felt a bit better and there were 11 of us again. The race was attack and attack all day, lap 3 was a bit more sedate but between Peter, Tom, Easty etc there wasnt much rolling along. After getting to the top of the climb the 3rd time I pretty much thought I would be ok to end so I had a few little goes up the road but it all ended up to nothing.
Bottom of the climb lap 4 Tom Leaper hit us, the bloke was going like a motorbike all day and he got a few hundred meters on us. It was one of those occasions that everyone was looking at each other. I wasn't going to chase as firstly I couldn't have caught him but mainly because I was pretty sure I was the only sprinter left.
He sat a few hundred in front of us for the lap and with 5km to go we knew we couldn't catch him. At this point Ben for hunter ducked off the front and got a handy gap. We all let him go thinking we would catch him on the climb. We hit the climb for the last time and there was attack after attack but it was very stop start. Due to this Bens gap got further and with a km to go there was Tom then Ben followed by a bunch of about 6 of us, me, peter, Easty, flemming, warner smith etc
Rolling into the dip it was 220m out but I layed off them and hit them at full gas and held on for 3rd.
Very very happy with that. Here are some numbers
85km
Ave Pw - 261 but NP 321
20 min pw -Ave 300 NP 348
5 min pw ave 387 NP 442
last climb 7 min (AT) ave 327 NP 447
last 20 sec ave was 1151w

So yeah i think it was pretty solid......

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Masters Nationals M3 Crit 3rd place

Very fast course and again very windy. Pretty much as you would expect, big attacks and hard chasing.
Peter went off the front and it took 4 blokes 6 laps to catch him, then he went again. then Tom went and we repeated this for 40 min.
Into the finish it was a massive tailwind and the last 80m a strong headwind. Pretty much Tom went so fast from 350m out that no one could move up, we were doing 67kmh with 250m to go. I tried to step off peters wheel with 150m to go but it was just too fast. Tom slightly faded with 60m to go and peter went past and I nearly got there. I am a crap sprinter from really high speed and honestly I think the position you were in 400m out is pretty much where you finished. Peter deserved this win.
Some numbers
ave 277 np 342
5 min ave 330 NP 388
20 min ave 305 NP 350
1 min ave 640 NP 690
Finish 1355 peak and 1020 for last 20 sec

Was solid after backing up, the numbers for both races dont show the stop start. for those interested the VI was 1.27 for both races.....Plenty of what I call solid a grade club guys got dropped early in both races.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Nice one Matt! I was one of the last to pop on the hill on the first lap. It was a brutal last 4kms of that first lap. Congrats on the 3rd. Some mega watts on show... At the time I didn't really get why I was dropped, until I looked at my data. AVg power was nothing special, NP was huge :shock:
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:21 am

Nice racing Trek & grats on the podiums.

1000W+ for 30sec at the end of a 342W NP race is seriously impressive! Leaper is a bit of a machine at opening up and keeping the power down for extended periods!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:13 pm

queequeg wrote: Are you backing up for "The Wall" this weekend? I went out and rode West Head on Sunday as part of my Endurance ride, and I was just cursing going up those darn hills thinking to myself, why on earth did you request Group 4 when you could have probably asked for a lounge chair seat in Group 6? Of course, there is always the chance that the handicapper will completely ignore my request and stick me in Limit where I belong ;-)

My expectations for this weekend are to finish, preferably not last. Race Report to come afterwards.

Group 4 same as you? Though they seem to have made a mistake, my handicap is too short and the race is two laps too long

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:48 pm

ft_critical wrote:
queequeg wrote: Are you backing up for "The Wall" this weekend? I went out and rode West Head on Sunday as part of my Endurance ride, and I was just cursing going up those darn hills thinking to myself, why on earth did you request Group 4 when you could have probably asked for a lounge chair seat in Group 6? Of course, there is always the chance that the handicapper will completely ignore my request and stick me in Limit where I belong ;-)

Group 4 same as you? Though they seem to have made a mistake, my handicap is too short and the race is two laps too long
My Race Report is easy.

DNS - Buggered my Arm/Shoulder from my long ride last week, so I couldn't even make the start line.

Looks like Scratch averaged 41.5km/h - Ouch! The KOM for "The Wall" itself was shattered, with the front guys going over the top at 40km/h+. Yikes!

I'm just resting up. I have the Fitz Challenge in a few weeks. No more racing for me in 2016, and at this stage I have no plans to race in 2017. Ironic given I am now the Race Director for our club, so I'll be more on the running side of things rather then the riding. I have other goals for 2017 that I can't see racing fitting in with.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:07 pm

trek52 wrote:Masters Nationals M3 Crit 3rd place

Some numbers
For 'fun' I compared trek and my numbers for the final sprint section called imaginatively, 'NSW Masters Crit Sprint'; 400m. M4 was 2min faster for the race but a bigger bunch.

Grade, Speed, Power, HR, Cadence, power max, result
M3, 62.4kmh, 545w, 170bpm, 102rpm, (973w) = 3rd
M4, 56.2kmh, 514w, 185bpm, 94rpm, (939w) = 9th

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:41 pm

was that from the nationals ?

Ours was so fast that it was impossible to move up in the last 400, I wish we started at 50kmh, I would have been a big chance I reckon. Oh well....

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:58 pm

trek52 wrote:was that from the nationals.
Yes the race before yours.

I stayed right - we were sprinting for fourth, but everyone was on it. I cut left and there was a bit of a channel up the middle. I moved up a fair bit but wasn't brave enough to push through the final gap in spite of having the speed.

We were not going as fast as you in the lead out, but did manage a more traditional kick up in speed.