Race Report Thread

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeh, I get passing thoughts of returning to Oatley park. Not really sure of handicap, it was a long time ago that I last raced there
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm

For anyone interested - Oatley Park. 2.30 Saturdays, St George club, til October.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun May 13, 2012 12:27 am

3 weeks late, but sharing my racing experiences so far.

At the ripe age of 51, I entered my first race ever.

The first race of PDCC winter road racing season at Serpentine on 20 April. I was the only rider on a steel bike and 10.5kg one at that.

Go introduced to one of the experienced riders in E grade who asked me it I knew what I was doing, "Sitting at the back for the first couple of laps, help out were I can on the third and then hang on for dear life on the last lap" was my response, he smiled.

I stuck with my plan, my aim was to finish in the bunch, so when a couple of riders went away on the 3rd lap, I didn't worry, same as we dropped a couple of riders on the same lap, just happy it was not me.

I was still sitting right on the back of the group of 6 when we rounded the last corner with 2.5 km to go, and a rider attacked, waited about 5 seconds for the two riders in front of me to react, they didn't so I took off, went pass those two, then a third and got on the back wheel of the 2nd of two riders. Got what felt like 20 seconds rest, but probably was a minute, which was when I decided I was not riding home, I should take part in the sprint. The 2nd rider attack with a few hundred meters to go, I could not go with him, but managed to beat the other rider home for 4th by 0.12 seconds.

Two weeks later, 5 May, on I was back for the next race, Nambeelup. I was far more confident, even brining my CF "race" bike, after sorting out my drivetrain issues.

Confident = making mistakes, I tried to force the pace of the back part of course, without any luck. Then with what I thought was 2km to go, I made my way to the front, to force the pace again, quickly realised more like 4km to go, but ended up sitting in the wind for too long and dropped to the back, when the pace went up and the group starting breaking up. Went past 6 riders and was chasing two groups of two, the first group was going away but I was slowly catching the 2nd pair, but after a good 1km+ chase, I just ran out of steam with a few hunderd metres to go and the rider in my wheel for the last two ks sprint past me to claim 5th.

Overall, a little disappointed, I was probably the 3rd strongest rider in the field, but I was not the 3rd smartest, not even close. I did get beaten by two riders who beat me two weeks ago (one is now in D grade), one rider I beat last week and a couple of D graders, who performed badly last time and choose to drop down a grade. It was always going to be a learning experience and I will be back at Serpentine next Saturday, 19 May.

(edited because my grammar is poor, I missed out typing half a sentence and corrected the facts about dates)
Last edited by nickobec on Sun May 13, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 13, 2012 3:38 am

8) nice nickobec ... competition is good for you :D .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 13, 2012 8:36 am

Good onya Nickobec, it's a big learning curve for someone that has not raced before. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 13, 2012 10:58 am

Welcome to racing Nickobec

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Beanzy wrote: It is unfair on the other riders who cant get through the large bunch to contest a sprint.
LOL
funny coming from you Beanzy :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm

scotto wrote: and most likely , a burgular...
Did you google that too scotto?

Train harder mate :roll:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Lansdowne D grade with Waratah Masters
Got my first every official placing today. Got there early and started up the back of the bunch of 34 riders to move into the top half after a few laps. While I was conentrating on a place, for the interim sprint other riders were cruising as two broke away with 20 - 30 metres. I chased them down and got 2nd place. From then on I did more lead work and considering my legs needed time to recover, didn't bet on my chances but stayed close to the front and leading up to the bell lap when a number of new riders started to push up to the front. I held position, though on the inside which wasn't favorable however wasn't locked in too tight and in the final sprint had legs to power paste a number of riders. The winner was stronger taking a clear finished and I grabbed 2nd place by about an inch. Initially I was given second, then demoted to third following the video evidence. After once of the race helpers who then reviewed the D grade finished looked again at the video frame by frame, by wheel was in front so I was back up to an official second.

There was a bit of disappointment at home... no meat tray, only a bike shop voucher.

Nice to catch up with BNA members again.
Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 14, 2012 2:29 am

Grrr..if only I had left my spare wheel at the start line :cry: .
Probably the race I most wanted to win this year, 40-49 age group champs for my department ( 01 Ain ), 50 starters. I was definitely in with a chance... nearly flat course with lots of wind. Perfect!... well it would have been if it was raining :twisted: .
First 8km lap was over 40kmph even with the howling wind... I punctured 500 meters from the end of first lap, rode to start line still with the bunch, dumped my bike on the grass, ran to the car and got my spare wheel...I lost 1m9s changing it over.
I tried to chase solo passing a few dropped riders, 2nd lap was 37.6, 3rd was 36.6, 4th was 36 ... you get the picture, I got a 2 minute time call behind the bunch after chasing for nearly 35 minutes... so I pulled the pin.
Race had totally exploded with small bunches everywhere... but even if my spare wheel was just sitting there for a 15 second change I probably still wouldn't have got on.
Time to look at the calendar and decide what to do.

Positive side... I did get a very hard 35 minute solo TT :lol: .

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 am

Murarrie Crits, C-grade, Sat 12th May.

Its been a while for me, but the weather was too awesome to stay in bed!

Big field, around 40-ish all up for the 40min + 3 laps crit. Started off with a decent pace, an QSM rider having an early crack at a solo breakaway from the gun(good luck with that!) :P . His team-mates swarmed t teh front to take control, and the race 'story' bcame clear very quickly - 5 or 6 QSM guys were gong to try and control the race... So I decided to try and work out who they were setting things up for, so I could at least take advantage of all their work.

First 15min or so, there were quite a few breakaway attempt. After about 10 or so started to get away, the whole peloton surged to reform. I'd positioned myself in the front third, so I was able to handle that OK.

Whistle for the prime at 20min. I wasn't going to try for it, but wanted to stay with the lead group in case they tried to get away straight afterwards... I actually came i about 10th for it without sprinting, and my legs were still eeling terrific so started to fel more confident with the race. Kept telling myself not to get complacent and miss a move, and I'd at least have a chance...

Can't remember when, but we got overtaken by B-grade just the once. The yells of "Stay left" and teh yello flags went up from the corner marshalls - and one of the QSM guys took off. Bad form for mine, OK if he'd already attacked, but once the yellow flags are out he should have waited... Anyway, he lingered on the back of B-grade a bit too long after they passed and got hooked by the commissaires - karma's a b!tch... :wink:

3 laps to go came up, and it all slowed right down. For the first time all race, the QSM guy seemed unsure what to do, and everyone started getting ready for the sprint and looking for a wheel to lead them out. I got trapped on the inside line on the last lap after a moment of indecision, which was a bad move. I watched th outside move quckly, and by the time I 'escaped' for the sprint, I was racing for 10th spot...

Great morning though, and I was totally stoked with how good my legs felt throughout the whole race. Final stats - just over 48min racing, average 39.4km/h.

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Mon May 14, 2012 8:30 pm

MREJ wrote:For anyone interested - Oatley Park. 2.30 Saturdays, St George club, til October.
Great race that one.

The climb sorts the men from the boys as well. Love it.

philip

Postby philip » Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Cootamundra Handicaps

Saturday:
I was in bunch 3, 21:30 off limit, 3:30 off scratch. About 15 in the bunch. It was cold + windy. Pace was fast from the start, sitting around 45-50km/h on the flat. My legs weren't feeling too good at all, not sure why, might've just been from sitting in a car for 4 1/2 hours to get there. The bunch wasn't working very well together, the wind was causing havoc, especially when we turned a corner and it was a cross wind. A couple of guys would bomb through and mess things up. One guy was attacking on the climbs too, don't know why. After about 30km with an average of 43km/h both my calves started cramping, then bunch 2 caught us, I wasn't in a good position in the bunch to jump on, I don't know if I would've held on for long even if I was anyway, so I was out the back. Caught a club mate and we rolled along for a bit, scratch caught us on the hill, I tried to hang on for a bit but my calves were killing, I figured it was better to not destroy my legs for Sunday's race so myself and club mate just rolled around to the finish.

Sunday:
I had a much better ride on Sunday. It was colder than Saturday and still windy but legs were feeling a whole lot better and the bunch was working far better than Saturday, heaps smoother. This time we had 5 minutes on scratch and the course was a bit shorter so we had a good chance. Again about 30km in the cross winds caused some trouble. Bunch 2 caught us so we formed a bit of a bigger bunch and worked well. I was still pretty much on my limit but hanging in there. Unfortunately on the 2nd lap where there was a big cross wind and on a rise I got caught out behind some guys who had dropped back, gap formed, I wasn't able to bridge. Average until then was about 43km/h. Rolled to the finish along with 5-6 other guys, not too far behind the front bunch.

This was my first open handicap (and only my second open) and I learnt a few things:

- Bunch positioning in the wind is extremely important. On Sunday I figured out all the things I did wrong on Saturday. I was spending a lot of energy when I didn't have to on Saturday.
- In a cross wind, it is actually easier to roll through, do your turn. If you're at the back in the gutter with no protection you're going to pretty much be doing as much work as the guy at the front. Rolling through being protected from the wind feels easy!
- Handicaps are freakin' hard!

I have to figure out a way to stop my calves cramping. My legs felt ok on Sunday but Sunday night my calves started hurting quite a bit. Even now they feel tight and sore. It's strange because I don't feel like I am using my calves when riding, I have my cleats as far back as possible. I did a training ride this morning, took it easy and didn't have any problems at all.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Two Race Videos. First one was requested, even though the quality is poor, the last lap of D grade at Eastern Creek on May 6, 2012 with the messy finish.

The second one comes into the final lap of D grade at Lansdowne on May 13, 2012 where I snapped up 2nd.

Here is a BONUS video of the finish of the same race from the waratah masters. I am the guy in the BNA Jersey.
<shameless plug>If you think that jersey looks good, checkout the new ones, you can even order your own) </shameless plug>

Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Philip... Do you do a good tune up ride the day before you race?.
How far do you run your saddle behind the bb?.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Phillip, the various reports on Coota Saturday shows that many of the bunches simply went out too fast at the beginning, blowing off their own riders until there weren't enough left to be effective

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

philip wrote:I have to figure out a way to stop my calves cramping. My legs felt ok on Sunday but Sunday night my calves started hurting quite a bit. Even now they feel tight and sore. It's strange because I don't feel like I am using my calves when riding, I have my cleats as far back as possible. I did a training ride this morning, took it easy and didn't have any problems at all.
check this out http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/

or, like mine was, your seat could be too high and you are over-extending the calves
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Phillip, the various reports on Coota Saturday shows that many of the bunches simply went out too fast at the beginning, blowing off their own riders until there weren't enough left to be effective
I am so glad I will never have to ride a handicap again :lol: .

philip

Postby philip » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Philip... Do you do a good tune up ride the day before you race?.
I did a 1 hour easy ride the day before, couple of hills.
toolonglegs wrote:How far do you run your saddle behind the bb?.
Just measured this because I had no idea, 8cm it seems.
JV911 wrote:check this out http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/
What I get from that is that if you have your cleats far back the you don't utilise your calves nearly as much - mine are already as far back as possible (nowhere near mid-foot but as far back as my shoes/cleats allow).
JV911 wrote:or, like mine was, your seat could be too high and you are over-extending the calves
This is a possibility, the only thing is I don't get cramps on long rides or training rides, only in hard races (maybe my training isn't hard enough!) I think I'll try lowering my saddle 5mm or so.

philip

Postby philip » Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Phillip, the various reports on Coota Saturday shows that many of the bunches simply went out too fast at the beginning, blowing off their own riders until there weren't enough left to be effective
I am so glad I will never have to ride a handicap again :lol: .
haha.. I'm yet to decide.. some people love them, others hate them.

mike, sounds like that was probably the case for the earlier bunches. On Sunday's race we never really caught/passed any big groups, it was all just a lot of small groups/stragglers. The bunch that won wasn't even sure if they'd won overall because they couldn't tell if they'd caught all the earlier bunches or not.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Couple of unqualified comments ... :roll: .
Maybe you need to ride harder the day before?... I do roughly an hour - 90 minutes day before a race ( one that is important to me anyway )... but will do a couple of hard one minute efforts, a couple of flat out sitting and spin sessions and finish with a 10 minute TT pace effort... I always feel good on my 2nd day of effort, just make the first hard enough to stress you a bit but not get you fatigued.
On the saddle position... I also run my cleats a fair way back but not all the way back ( i did when having heel problems)... but I run my saddle nose at 7.5 mm behind the bb. If you have your cleats all the way back , your foot is sitting further forward on the pedal, you will need to move your saddle forward to accommodate. Trying to use butt and thighs more than calves... and I have GIANT calves :lol: .

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't like handicaps. There is never any respite unless your race is over. Unless you are on top of your game they only mean pain.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 am

Race report... :? ... my team mates know I can't get in the first 5 places, so when I try to break up the race I don't want them to block for me if I force a break :roll: ... I want them to join me so I can work my arse off!.
72 km's of good training and crap racing on a goat track... bring on TT season ( August ) and CX season ( October ).

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm

toppity wrote:I don't like handicaps. There is never any respite unless your race is over. Unless you are on top of your game they only mean pain.

Pain is good :? . My favourite form of racing apart from tt's, and they are good training for tt's :)

I love the fact that you work as a team to stay away/catch other groups, and then at the end the friendship is over :lol: and you have to try and beat the blokes you've been working with

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 19, 2012 6:29 am

Parrott wrote:
toppity wrote:I don't like handicaps. There is never any respite unless your race is over. Unless you are on top of your game they only mean pain.
Pain is good :? . My favourite form of racing apart from tt's, and they are good training for tt's :)
This part is very true but for all aspects of racing not just the TTs'. Not many riders look at them this way though! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km