Race Report Thread

Bluejay87

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Are electric motors specifically prohibited?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Yes. Paragraph 10.
Registration

3. The Rider must be over the age of 19 on 1ST January 2016 in order to register for the MAGFC.

4. The MAGFC is an age group gran fondo event for men and women with a recreational ride option.

5. The Event Organiser reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to accept or decline an application for registration.

6. Registration places for the MAGFC are limited in number and applications close on Thursday 31st December 2015 at 5:00pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) unless sold out prior.

7. Registrations will not be accepted after the closing date and will not be accepted on the day of the event, unless agreed by the Event Organiser.

8. The Rider must provide their contact details and the contact details (including a valid Australian telephone number) for an emergency contact (e.g. next of kin) so that the Event Organiser can contact that person if the Rider is involved in an emergency situation.

9. At the time of registration, the Rider must select either their age category or recreational ride option.

10. Riders are only permitted to ride human powered bicycles in the MAGFC. Motorcycles, scooters and motorised and power-assisted bicycles/vehicles are not permitted.

11. Full payment of the registration fee is required to confirm Rider registration.

12. All prices are quoted in AUD per person and are inclusive of Goods and Services Tax.

13. All information provided to Riders by the Event Organiser may be subject to change at any time in the absolute discretion of the Event Organiser.

Cheers,

Cameron

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Handicap yday. Some people over estimated themselves on the entry form I think....

If you have to miss turns after 5 minutes of riding then you're way out of your depth by about 3 grades, after 20km I had a word as it can be hard to tell if someone was a burglar or genuinely out of their depth. Since he was able to talk still I thought he was the former and gave him a hurry up, he gave me some abuse and dropped off the group :roll:

I could tell we were going too slow on the first lap,needing able to roll turns eating a banana showed that! And the bunch in front of us pulled away by 40 seconds, we got caught halfway through the second lap by the block group who we had a minute and a half head start on. I jumped in and started rolling with them no worries and had a really good hit out in the end.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Nice... burglars suck, unless you're a burglar :lol:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:20 am

Xplora wrote:Nice... burglars suck, unless you're a burglar :lol:
:lol:

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Short one today!

Raced at SKCC yesterday and it felt like a coffee ride for large portions... Was my lowest average HR since stepping up to A-Grade! Had a solid crack inside 15mins to go by trying to bridge to the 4 man break, who were ~15sec up the road. Unfortunately, I didn't have the legs to go all the way and came up (literally) a few metres short on a successful bridge. Got spat out the back of the bunch shortly after!

Better to have tried and popped than to never have tried at all?

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Without trying you won't succeed Cerb!..

Short one here too, raced Toowoomba twilight crits again Friday night; wasn’t feeling particularly flash Friday morning but thought what the hell!

Anyways not long before the start I notice Ol’ Mate* rolling around on his spanking speech in his Yeti gear… After a bit of pissing around at the start waiting for a rider to change their wheel the nerves kicked in because I knew full well who Ol’ Mate was… Long story short I was dispatched about 7mins into the race, with an NP of 384w (dafuq), pretty well the rest of the field was off the back by the 15min mark!... It was pretty well humbling, as I thought I was improving!!!

I felt flat as a tack Saturday, and then ended up sick on Sunday so that explains some of it.

**Ol’Mate = Jared Graves, Former BMX Olympian, former MTB 4x World Champ, former MTB Enduro World Champ, Current XCE National Champ
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:32 pm

cerb wrote:Short one today!

Raced at SKCC yesterday and it felt like a coffee ride for large portions... Was my lowest average HR since stepping up to A-Grade! Had a solid crack inside 15mins to go by trying to bridge to the 4 man break, who were ~15sec up the road. Unfortunately, I didn't have the legs to go all the way and came up (literally) a few metres short on a successful bridge. Got spat out the back of the bunch shortly after!

Better to have tried and popped than to never have tried at all?
I generally try and talk someone into helping me bridge a gap. I've tried and failed to solo bridge far too many times and it's the worst way to register a DNF.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Cul wrote:Long story short I was dispatched about 7mins into the race, with an NP of 384w (dafuq), pretty well the rest of the field was off the back by the 15min mark!...
Why did you even try to hold his wheel?! Surely the smart call is waiting for the rest of the bunch to get shelled, and then move up for a podium with the best of the rest? :shock: If Caleb Ewan turns up to a local crit, and no one else recognises him, I am planning a second place rather than a win... assuming I have a chance at a win :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 pm

I enjoy dropping wheels in races sometimes. I was on the front on Sat and no one came past. eventually there was a soft attack that I could have jumped on to, but I thought "sorry guys, do I look like your domestique?" and let them gap us. cycling is a funny sport where people sometimes get confused that it's a big team effort or something. it's not - making you work harder is part of the game :twisted:

zill

Postby zill » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:05 pm

jules21 wrote: part of the game :twisted:
I'm not into playing these games hence won't be racing anymore hence will probably not even get a racing liscence. My goal will be just to chase popular Strava climbs. But also because I can only TT and can't do anything else. Have only reached 1000W once and weighed more than 70kg.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Xplora wrote:
Cul wrote:Long story short I was dispatched about 7mins into the race, with an NP of 384w (dafuq), pretty well the rest of the field was off the back by the 15min mark!...
Why did you even try to hold his wheel?! Surely the smart call is waiting for the rest of the bunch to get shelled!
Ha, I was last in the train, regardless of that JG shames some fairly accomplished QTRS Elite riders I was well out of my depth in the bunch of 6. :shock: :shock: :shock:
He could probably make a pretty decent living out of road racing if he ever gets sick of traveling the world racing mountain bikes.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Cul wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Cul wrote: in the bunch of 6. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bit of a change from 50+ riders per grade! On the up side, statistically, your chance of winning has significantly increased! :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Bunch of 6, damn... not much to do in that event except drop to B...

filipw

Postby filipw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Raced last Friday at Wyong with cccc. A decent turn out for C with 25’ +2 laps announced. This is only my third race back, with previous ones being washed out. I felt good, following the surges and never in problems. I even ventured towards the very front of the group, not yet completely, but almost. After 17’ they put up the 2 laps to go sign, which made it a very short race. I came in just behind the sprinters and was happy with that result. 17’ is way too short though and not worth paying the money.

17' + 2 laps
36.2 km/h

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:30 am

Raced in NZ last night... D grade and got dropped in the last km :oops: OK first ride in a couple of weeks after 40 hours travelling is the excuse... but I was still lame. Next week I will redeem myself :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:52 am

Xplora wrote:Bunch of 6, damn... not much to do in that event except drop to B...
The biggest problem is the level between A & B here; off the back of “A” Grade, would be sandbagging in “B” Grade. :?

Looking at my average speed from my first race here, my average for the time I spent rolling around solo (last 30mins of race) was as fast as the “B” grade race average and I wasn’t really putting the hammer down (no power data). 8) The thing I am struggling with is the “snap”, the attacks are hard and usually start on Lap one!.. “B” Grade is sit in and sprint but the bigger bunch (usually 15ish) affords that luxury.

Simply put I need to work on my AWC, so that repeatability comes up… But right now I need to work on getting well, I’ve been so crook the last few days. :cry: :cry: :cry:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 am

Cul wrote:
Xplora wrote:Bunch of 6, damn... not much to do in that event except drop to B...
The biggest problem is the level between A & B here; off the back of “A” Grade, would be sandbagging in “B” Grade. :?

Looking at my average speed from my first race here, my average for the time I spent rolling around solo (last 30mins of race) was as fast as the “B” grade race average and I wasn’t really putting the hammer down (no power data). 8) The thing I am struggling with is the “snap”, the attacks are hard and usually start on Lap one!.. “B” Grade is sit in and sprint but the bigger bunch (usually 15ish) affords that luxury.

Simply put I need to work on my AWC, so that repeatability comes up… But right now I need to work on getting well, I’ve been so crook the last few days. :cry: :cry: :cry:
It's not that different down here. A Grade consists of everyone too strong for B Grade, with the top being Elite/NRS or ex-champions all thrown in with those who have just been pushed up from B.

I guess that is why they say that racing really only starts in A Grade. The best I have pulled off so far is 6th in an A Grade race, having gone up from B after winning from breakaways (solo & group).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Cul wrote: Simply put I need to work on my AWC, so that repeatability comes up… But right now I need to work on getting well, I’ve been so crook the last few days. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Get well... but race more... get off that trainer, and race. Can't hold the wheel all the time though if Australian champions are rolling up. :lol:

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:05 pm

That's the plan mate! I have the perfect opportunity to give MTB Nationals a real crack March next year; so there will be lots of Criterium, and XCO racing this summer :-)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 am

Tour of Bright, Masters C gr.

got 12th in stage 1 ITT ~41 km/h over 13.5km. pretty happy with that, reckon I've got more to squeeze out of my TTs though.

stage 2 - 90km loop over Rosewhite climb then up Tawonga Gap. not so good - crashed early on, chased back on with no rear gears. managed to hold the bunch until the bottom of Tawonga but the gear I was in was too much. a quick fiddle didn't fix it so I could only grind up like an old man (that I am I suppose). I caught up with Strawburger apparently! didn't know it at the time. finished about 47th or so which is higher up than I expected.

today is Mt Hotham. gears are working again :twisted:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Got a couple competing on my strava list... you guys are doing an INCREDIBLE job at Bright. Kudos for even turning up... definitely an event worth doing...

*offtopic* Sydney/Illawarra doesn't quite have the same hills but it's a terrible shame that we can't run a similar event up here.

filipw

Postby filipw » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:15 am

Friday 4/12
C grade Wyong
37.2km/h
Beautiful conditions last Friday evening with a good turnout. Smooth sailing, felt good, finished 6th. Time to step it up and try to stay away.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:25 am

SKCC A-Grade
46km, avg. ~46kph

Relatively small bunch and not much firepower around this week with ToB on.

There wasn't much enthusiasm from the bunch to start the race hard and fast, so we ended up doing about three laps at warmup pace instead of the required one. There were a number of break attempts in the first 30mins, but nothing too dangerous. Pace was generally easy, but when a break went, it was chased down and subsequently the pace came off again.

I did have a crack at a break, about 20mins in, but similar to the other attempts - we were reeled in within a couple of laps. Finally, at about the 30min mark Jonathan Cantwell and a couple of other strong riders (plus a couple of tag a longs) got themselves into a break of 5 together. One of the riders in the break had the most team members in the race and for the next 30mins, they did a good job of disrupting any chase. They'd put themselves in the front few riders and when they got to third wheel and the front rider pulled off, they'd drop the wheel of the person now in front. This meant the person on the front would pull away as they ramped up the power and then look back after a few seconds to a 25m gap behind them... It's A-Grade, so teams racing is fair go, but this was highly disruptive to the bunch chasing.

My team had three guys in the race and no-one in the break, so at ~12mins to go and with the break still holding a ~30sec lead, we figured we'd try to do the job of shutting it down and keep our sprinter fresh for the finish. I went to the front and rolled some hard turns for a while, including 1.5 laps of driving the pace where no-one would come around me. The gap was falling, but now at around 5mins to go, it was not going to be enough. I was spent, but both my other team mates now jumped on the front and started rolling turns to try and close the gap.

The break stayed clear, with Cantwell starting his sprint 30m from the line (from 2nd wheel) and winning by about 20m :lol: . The final gap between the break and bunch was 4sec.

All-in-all a good race and good morning out! Starting to pick up on some 'higher level' tactics of other teams and individuals as well as improving our own team work during the race. I also enjoyed the slower than usual speed as it means I can be more active in the race! Maybe I should go back to B-Grade! :D :wink:

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:29 am

Xplora wrote:Got a couple competing on my strava list... you guys are doing an INCREDIBLE job at Bright. Kudos for even turning up... definitely an event worth doing...
I second this! Some impressive riding going on in my Strava feed! My one hour race going round in circles on the flat is another world to the pain those guys are putting themsleves through...

Great job ToB'ers!