Race Report Thread

jules21

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am

thanks your holiness.. i am leaning towards racing the Warby road race, yes. are you in?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 pm

I am the Warburton Race Director again so wouldn't be racing, though after last night I will have to ask others in the race committee to take over...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Ouchie :-(

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm

dalai47 wrote:I am the Warburton Race Director again so wouldn't be racing, though after last night I will have to ask others in the race committee to take over...
ooohh sorry to hear about that. heal quickly.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:10 am

dalai47 wrote:I am the Warburton Race Director again so wouldn't be racing, though after last night I will have to ask others in the race committee to take over...
I got to be stand in race director for 6 weeks, with the same injury. You will be surprised what you can accomplish with only working shoulder.

And get on the indoor trainer ASAP so not to lose fitness.

and get well soon

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks. Still will be helping, I just don't see myself being able to be at the race - driving myself or even just getting there on bumpy roads in 2 1/2 weeks...

Saw a sports doctor today - he feels how my bone is lined up that there would be little benefit pinning, but I still organised an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday for their opinion.

Definitely want to get on the trainer as soon as I can!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:42 pm

A word of caution on that, mine was perfectly aligned and 4 weeks later they were 25mm apart (one in one out) so I had to have a plate where I believe I would of got away with a pin if it was done post accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 am

Not going my way at the moment... Lined up today with 100 others on a new course, very windy and a good little 1 minute power climb that I normally would of coped ok with.
We started dropping riders pretty much straight away... If you lost a wheel it was more or less over.
I always felt like I was at the back... Even though I kept moving up... People just kept dropping off.
Was putting out close to 600w for a minute on the climb tucked in to the bunch... With how I have been feeling lately it was only a matter of time.
8th time up I was out the back by 25m at the top of the climb... So pulled the pin at 51 or so km's.
3 laps to go, but I would of turned myself inside out finishing... TBH I don't think I am healthy enough yet to want to push that hard... Do feel a hell of a lot better than last Sunday though... Felt ok cruising the 20 k's home unlike last week!.
Will chill tomorrow and maybe try again Monday... Very tough little monté apparently on that course but the numbers should be less and the weather is supposed to be bad ;-) .
Can only improve right! :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Eric Mather Colnago Cup Open B grade

77 riders today. Not feeling particularly amazing, and it was fairly nippy. I had some junk mail on the chest, did just the trick to take the sting out of the air. Rolled down to the track, paid my money and wondered how on earth I would go today. Not feeling confident, but I had my Garmin 800 set up just right for the race finally and I was looking forward to testing myself out after some climbing a couple days ago and some recent plyometrics training.

Cervelo kit Steve introduced me to a lady who was to take out first female from our grade. I got the impression that she must be a Ladies NRS rider or something after the commissaire said she'd kill it in B grade. She was chatting with a gent from Illawarra in their orange and black kit... more on him later...

We roll out, I'm up front and I'm intending on keeping a beady eye on my normalised power each lap. I have a good idea what I'm capable of sustaining, and we're doing the long course. The bend off Capital Hill is a major weakness of mine, even after practicing on it for 12 hours a couple weeks ago in the charity ride :lol: - I'm wary that the sprint off the hill is going to be brutal, and will waste a lot of my energy. So I'm going to hide in the bunch for a chunk of this race.

We peel off some laps, and I'm sitting above my last FTP figure in Golden Cheetah each lap. I drifted to the back to collect some tickets, and got a very rude shock when my power basically jumped 15w for the lap. Definitely not going to work today; the slipstream was so intense I was dragged to 55kmh on the finish straight, and I basically only needed to launch 500W off Capital instead of the previous 600-800. The pace was only marginally quicker. Take homes from this - bigger bunch, bigger slipstream, bigger penalty for staying outside that. Also, the skill level of the bunch diminishes rapidly once you add a ton of Manly, North Sydney and Randwick riders to the mix, who aren't familiar with Eastern Creek, so the more savage tactics and skills like sprinting off Capital were nullified. Also, many scary moments from poor cornering - you can get away with one bad corner a fortnight but 77 guys puts the odds much worse than you'd hope. It was chaos sometimes. If you were there, you heard me yelling hold your line constantly :lol:

The prime goes, I'm not interested in attacking yet because the big guns who would help are going to be knackered from kicking for the cash.

I launch an attack in my usual spot after the first climb a couple laps later, and put some distance on the pack. About half a lap later they catch me after its clear I'm not getting help. Long way from home. Settle back, try and get some oxygen back. I've noticed that the breakaway lap was 50w normalised higher than the rest. That's Zone 5/6 territory, definitely not going to sustain that for 2 laps given the strong power of the rest of the race. So I wait again...

3 laps, it's go time. I manage to sneak away with Steve, and we are trying to bridge up to a LACC rider who has soloed for a lap or so. He seems frsutrated that we can't complete the bridge, but I know that I can't muck around, so I take off. Stay away for a solid lap. Never up, never in....

I'm caught and try to get friendly with that RBCC rider who won the Div 3 Macarthur open crit but the legs aren't there after getting a bit boxed in on the bell lap. The attacks have taken the sting out of this bumblebee and I sat up just before the final hook onto the finish straight. Not going to crash sprinting for 30th place.

First place was the Illawarra rider I was standing next to. I figured he was a breaker, I guess bunch sprinter is easier to hide than I thought. RBCC took prime and second. Bit bummed that I picked the man, but didn't have the legs to execute, even more bummed I had no idea how strong the winner was.

Best normalised power for 60 minutes by 15w, and it's 21w above the FTP I set in GC. Time for an increase in that one (again). 5x5s and 4x10s are back on the agenda, as is more climbing. I have to improve my resilience in Z5 if I want to break away. Most riders are climbing more than I do, so I think that's going to have to be fixed. I think being much more careful about my positioning on the last lap is critical as well. Being inside is shorter, but I don't think that's the most important thing at the pointy end. I saw a number of big attacks that couldn't be touched because I was sucking the wrong wheel.

A good race, very good data and I learnt a lot. Congrats again to trek52, in the money :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 pm

good effort Xplora, bad luck TLL but you'll come round i'm sure.

Blackburn CC ITT, 20km, Kew Boullie, C grade. finished 9/25

race reports on ITTs aren't very exciting i suppose. i didn't prepare well for this, staying up late the night before shopping for bike parts. i did no prep on the bike. woke up in the morning and bolted some TT bars on my roadie - didn't get around to putting my aero wheels on. was a bit late so took a short cut on my ride to the start, did a quick warmup, then almost missed the start talking to a club-mate. made it and took off as first C grade rider out of the blocks. didn't feel great - legs filled with lactic acid. then i realised my bars were loose! after making the first turnaround (1/4 way point) i saw the ominous figure of my minute man not far behind - crap.

i battled on, passing some D graders which made me feel a bit better about myself. about halfway back to the start point my minute man caught me. i started to feel better though, getting into a rhythm. the second lap i felt pretty strong and gave away less time to those following me. into the last corner - a wide LH downhill sweeper at the bottom of a long hill i caught a parks ranger ute. my frantic waving to speed up had no effect (they were doing about the 50km/h limit) so i passed them using the bike lane :)

i finished 2 mins down on the winner - i have it in me to podium that if i get my prep right and take it seriously.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Loose aero bars :shock:

How did you cope for the rest of the race?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Xplora wrote: Cervelo kit Steve introduced me to a lady who was to take out first female from our grade. I got the impression that she must be a Ladies NRS rider or something after the commissaire said she'd kill it in B grade. She was chatting with a gent from Illawarra in their orange and black kit... more on him later...
)
That would be my ex wife and her husband :shock:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 pm

That's some epic Say What action right there... :shock:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 am

Xplora wrote:That's some epic WT? action right there... :shock:
:D :D :D

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 am

^^^ um.... yeah :| .
Time to try and recover a bit for me... today I lasted 2 laps of 11 :oops: , got dropped on the climb and then got back on, got dropped for good next time around.
I wasn't the only one but I was one of the first!.
C'est la vie.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 am

__PG__ wrote:Loose aero bars :shock:

How did you cope for the rest of the race?
they weren't completely loose. by resting on the elbow pads the leverage was reduced and i could hold them steady :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 am

toolonglegs wrote:^^^ um.... yeah :| .
Time to try and recover a bit for me... today I lasted 2 laps of 11 :oops: , got dropped on the climb and then got back on, got dropped for good next time around.
I wasn't the only one but I was one of the first!.
C'est la vie.
You need a big steak mate. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

BillR

Postby BillR » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:34 pm

A belated report from last Sunday morning's Southern Vets invitational GSR.
Got prompted to C grade and stayed with the bunch til the last climb.
Caught behind 2 others when the front 4 up the anti.
Tried catching to no avail.
Formed a group of 3 with about 6 km to go and chased hard, but never saw the break.
They finished 40 seconds ahead.

Going to be a while to my next race report.
Skylarking with my nephew Sunday afternoon and the Achilles in the right foot went.
Find out in just over a week how well it's healing.

cheers
Bill

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Bummer about the injury - hate being caught behind people at the critical moment, but I also block occasionally so I guess that's racing huh?

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

First race at B-Grade Muarrarie for me this morning. I figured with the ANZAC 25 being held the day before and the Qld Road series being run this morning that it would have been a good introduction to "Muzz".

I have only heard about bad things at Muzz i.e. terrible crashes, massive numbers on the track coupled with a pretty average track. So I was quite apprehensive about this race. With that in mind, I decided no heroics, nothing fancy, just sit on the back and enjoy the ride (that and my legs were dead from the 2,200m of climbing I did on Friday).

Race started ok, around the third lap there was some hairy situations were someone in the middle of the field didn't hold their line causing a lot of screeching of carbon being braked on. No-one went down fortunately and the race continued. Prime came and went, nothing crazy other than a slight increase the speed. The final three laps were called and the "break away" that jumped a couple laps earlier was picked up on the start of the first lap, poor guy just didn't have any support. I could see all the heroes trying to make their way up to the front of the queue with 2 laps to go and just asked myself, why? All it did was create less room up the pointy end and by the time they got up there, they'd run out of gas. It just makes you wonder whether people have thought about "race tactics" before.

Anyway, turns out the field was a full 60 + 10 or so women in there. I didn't really like the course at race speed (average was only around 43km with the final lap coming under 50km), it was too narrow for the field size and the little undulating bumps just cause more issues with a slight decrease in speed then massive increase as people try not to be dropped.

Hopefully Cycling Aus send my licence out this week and then all that's left is to have Cycling Qld give me a grade and I'm a "legitimate" racer!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Good on you Ignoto. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

BillR

Postby BillR » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Xplora wrote:Bummer about the injury - hate being caught behind people at the critical moment, but I also block occasionally so I guess that's racing huh?
Been a steep learning curve. To be continued in a few months time!

cheers Foo.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 02, 2014 4:21 am

Should I read something into this?... 6th race in a row today I haven't finished :-( .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 02, 2014 7:11 am

Nah, you're always bloody sick mate, it takes some time to get the gremlins out, plus ya need a big stak. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 am

smurf wrote:THURSDAY, MAY 1, 2014

Elia Elia Elia!!
That was one very very enjoyable day for the cannondale clan here at the tour of turkey! Elia Viviani did what most thought wasn't possible this week beating Cav to the line in today's bunch gallop! As always there plenty that went on between the flag dropping at km 0 and the green flash of Elia blasting though the finish tape ahead of the field so here's a little recap.

The day got off to the perfect start for the team with the austrian oxe Mattias Krizek jumping into the days breakaway. Today's stage started on a 3km climb which obviously meant it was going full gas so the men that make a breakaway like this are always the strong men so was a big hats off to krizek forging clear with his fellow escapees! It was a good sized group up the road and 3 climbs in the first 30km's of today's stage all the sprinters were happy for the break to get away early so the climbs could be done at a more gentlemanly pace. For us it was a golden situation as we didn't have to contribute to chasing the breakaway and could save our legs for the final km's. Coupled with this the fact that such strong riders were up the road meant that although there capture was seemingly inevitable, the chasing teams would have to use a lot of biscuits to do it and in the process weaken there sprinting trains, this was going to prove to be a big advantage for the Cannondale Team and Elia at the finish.

Following the 3 climbs in the first part of the stage it was basically a gradual downhill for the remaining 150km. As always once the race was under control we assembled our troops around Formolo and Elia to keep the as protected as possible and out of harms way. At one point around 70km from the finish Cav asked me if we were going to help chase? I said what do you mean we are contributing to the chase!! We have our strongest engine up the road and you guys are having to go full gas to try and catch him!! We had a laugh and he called me a smart arse but I knew from this exchange that he wasn't happy with how hard his boys were having to chase and burning precious matches, another advantage for us!

Today Elia and I spoke much more than usual in the race. The tour of turkey has been really enjoyable for me earning back his trust following my letting him down at the tour down under in January. Half way through the stage we both realized we had done this stage finish before in 2011. It was a harder run in over the final 30km than it looked on paper and unique in that it had a nasty kicker climb at 1.5km to go, downhill until 500m to go, and then flat to the finish, all on a massive road. Last time the finish was real messy sprint as no team could keep the pace high enough on the decent to form a train. We realized this was going to be an important element in elia executing his perfect sprint so luckily I had a good idea of how we would make this happen!! Elia's face really lit up when we realized how well we knew the final 50km of the race. He beamed with a big smile and said to me "that's really good for us isn't it?" and I of course said "absolutely! Today's our day". The plan was basic, withstand all the inevitable attacks on the rollers and on the final kicka 1km from the finish we had to have Elia on Cavs wheel. My job was to keep motorbike marongoni, GB and Elia protected from the wind onto the climb so at the top they were in the perfect position. When spelled out like that it seemed easy and I have to admit being able to visualize exactly how that could play out made me 100% confident we could execute the plan. I realized today more than ever there is a lot to be said for experience and homework on the lay out of decisive points in a bike race!!

Up the road krizek was driving the breakaway along. We were absolutely motoring all day and that meant that the quickstep team were working very very hard all day. Elia looked confident from km 0 today and all of the team realized this straight away. When you spend so much time racing and training together you can often see in a team mates pedal stroke and in the position he is holding in the bunch how he is feeling. Today Elia looked sensational and as we know he is one one the fastest men in the world on a bicycle that means there is a good chance he can win the bike race. The 6 of us left behind by krizek back in the bunch continued to move as one ensuring we were always where we needed to be. I barely had to look around at all for elia or formolo today, we always knew where each of us where. It's been really great to see how this group has gelled over the first 5 stages in the tour of turkey.

So into the final 50km and our plan began. Motorbike marunga and I kept the boys in a safe position up the front and out of the wind. The pace was really picking up and you could sense a lot of fatigue in the group thanks to the strong men still 2 minutes ahead in the breakaway, again, great job krizek! Snr Sagan ensured that we always had a our drink bottle cages full with fresh beverages. It seemed like every 15min he would arrive with a fresh cold one, when your going all out a nice refreshing cold bottle can be the difference between imploding and charging on and with Juraj around there was no way we were not going to be nicely hydrated! Inside 20km from the finish lotto played there hand and while adam hansons attack was neutralized quickly it did dispatch 2 of cavs workers under the forcing of the pace. The rollers kept coming and into the final 5km fighting for position became so much easier. We were still all together and people where not trying to push us around anymore, it was going to be our day! You could see the difference in the way the sprinters tackled these rollers most of which powered over in a big gear. Elia on the other hand maintained a high cadence and spun a light gear, another great sign for the finish! Of the sprinters that would survive the rollers Elia was surely going to have the most spark left in his finishing sprint kick! My optimism continued to grow. At around 5km Krizek was swept up. He had made a massive effort and contribution to the team plans today by being one of the hairs being chased by the greyhounds and again underlined what a great team player he really is. Every single stage of the race this week Mattias has been present and accounted for doing way more than has been asked of him and most importantly he has done it all with a massive grin on his face! He truly is a real great motivation to be racing along side, great stuff krizek!

At 2km to go the final kicker was infront of us. We were in the perfect position ready to make our charge for cavs back wheel. I was so chomping at the bit to execute our final play and Motorbike marunga, elia and his bodyguard GB were lined up behind keen to get the party started. As we started the climb marunga spotted cavs wheel free and promptly roared past me and dropped elia of onto it, his role was executed perfectly. GB was locked to Elia's wheel so if anyone wanted his spot they would have to fight the cannadian cannonball for it first, good luck!! With the boys in the box seat it was now time for me to do what I should have done on stage 1, get to the front and drive the pace as high as possible to ensure it stays lined out and elia doesn't have to focus on anything else than roaring of cavs wheel. As I broke from the pack to ride to the front Davide Rebellin Attacked hard in the hope of a solo victory. Sorry Davide but not on my watch you ain't going anywhere, this was our day and promptly closed him down and let him know he can ride as hard as he liked but I was not leaving his back wheel. Not surprisingly he relented and slipped back to the bunch. It was now just over a km to go and I took a quick look to ensure elia was still glued to cavs wheel. I waited momentarily for what was left of cavs lead out train, being 2 guys, Pettachi and Mark Ren Dog renshaw and promptly drilled it!

We were now on the downhill drag to the line and inside 1km to go. Behind me Peta was doing a great job in instructing me on how to ride with left and right and good and a lot of faster's! Problem was we were going downhill and I was spinning like a egg beater at 70kmph so I resorted to the technique I had decided to use for this exact moment earlier in the stage. Back in california in January Junior matty mohoric had taught me his much famed sitting on the top tube while pedaling technique. When he did it I realized I had to do a million watts to keep up with him going down hill so knew it was effective. I decided this downhill was the perfect place to adopt it for 2 reasons. Firstly my legs were screaming from the effort of the stage and secondly and although maby not so sporting of me I knew the man behind had to take on more wind. As it was a crucial leadout man for cav the less Peta had at the finish the better for us as cav would have to start sprinting earlier into the headwind and elia would get more time to plan his blast straight past him! So, onto the top tube I went and pedaled as fast down the hill as I could. It was my only possible way to increase the speed as my power was gone and if quickstep or any other team thought I was going to slow well they didn't have to stay on my wheel and could pass me at anytime. I quickly realized that there was no one coming up on my left so knew the group was strung out a little and Elia was sitting pretty!! As the road flattened out I returned to the comfort of my saddle dug as deep as I could for a few more m's, had a quick look over my left shoulder to see that there was still nobody challenging me for the front position and got the jolly hell out of there before I slowed down the train. I had the birds eye view of watching elia fly by on the 3 quickstep boys wheels and thought little rippa, Elia is definitely going to finish this off!!

And did Elia finish it off!! He blew past cab so fast that even cav retreated to Elia's wheel to ensure he finished 2nd. It was an emphatic victory for Elia by over 2 bike lengths which gave him time for a big salute as he ripped though the finish tape and although my heart rate was still north of 200 beats per minutes I somehow found enough oxygen to let our a cheer of my own. That was a really special day.

You don't get many days like that where you have the chance to really execute a plan. The most important thing today was that all 7 of the cannondale pro cycling boys here in turkey believed we could do just that. Quickstep have really dominated all week and to be fare they almost did everything right again today. Perhaps had elia of not had the knowledge of previous finishes here then things may have been different but he did!! Also don't underestimate the massive contribution krizek played by being up the road. They breakaway was never allowed more the 3min and that meant strong men were riding very hard up the road and the group behind was riding even harder. The only way we could take on cav and his merry men was by trying to tire them out. I have to admit they are a class above and if they are all fresh and have it all there own way they just give everyone a wholopping! Today however we got our chance and while Elia was the star of the show it was awesome simply to be apart of our support act. To Motorbike Marunga, austrian oxe Krizek, Canadian Canonnball Boivin, formula 1 formolo, my roomy Snr Juraj Sagan and of course the lead singer of the band Elia lightning Viviani, thanks so much for putting on today's show, from where I was watching, it was extremely good viewing

CJW
From his blog

Cheers,

Cameron