Race Report Thread

queequeg

Race Report Thread

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Cervelo Masters Round 2 - Open C Grade

This was a brutal race, using the shorter 9km HDCC HEZ lap rather that the full 10.6km one.

6 laps was the order of the day for C Grade, and I was hoping to better my Round 1 result of 4th place (in the bunch sprint).

Lots of little attacks from the start, a few breakaways that didn't last long. I was in every breakaway, but they were not serious.

Coming into Lap 4, 3 other riders and myself got a 100m gap to the bunch. I tried to encourage them to stay on the gas but they folded. I was left out on my own and I thought I'd just see what was possible so I just cranked it up with the tailwind and soon had about 500m on the bunch. Coming back around to the start/finish area I was about 100m off the back of B Grade. As I went past the start line. the race caller was saying "and rider 521 is off the back of B, and he's a dead duck". After the U Turn. I came back up to the start/finish, and again the race caller was saying I was never going to get back on. As I pass him. I yelled "I'm C Grade!", and he is like "Are you solo off the front??", and I am like "Yes!!"

On Lap 5 I caught up to B Grade on the outbound leg, with the commissaire in the car following B instructing me on how to pass them. Must have been fun for B seeing a solo rider from a lower grade shoot past them. I thought having a buffer between me and the bunch would help, but the wind really picked up. B Grade caught me again while I was recovering. so I had to pass them again going into the headwind. They didn't catch me again, but the rest of C Grade passed them as well.

I held my lead going into the final lap, but it was down to about 500m so it was going to be close.

On the final lap, B grade got given a neutral lap to ensure the C grade bell lap went smoothly. I was hammering as hard as I could on the outbound leg as I knew the headwind coming back would kill me.

Coming over the start line on the final lap. I only had about 200m at most and it was a long downhill before the U-turn for the uphill finish. The bunch caught me about 100m after the turn, and I grabbed a quick rest in the bunch for the 500m run home. The sprinters went and I gave it a crack, but after 30km of solo effort it was tough, and I crossed the line out of the placings but with the bunch.

For my solo effort I was awarded "Most Aggressive Rider", so I didn't go home empty handed, picking up some TWE Knicks.

It was a real fun day, and good to test my limits. Not the smartest thing going solo that far out, but if that wind had gone away I could have pulled off the only solo break of the day. I very nearly did. I am pretty happy with the result. I am getting much stronger. If I had sat in the bunch I may well have placed in the sprint. Even after my 3 lap solo I finished strong, so lessons learned.

I am into some hill training for Fitz's for the next couple of months, but hope to make my A Grade Debut soon. I have a couple of options, but would be good to debut for NWSCC if the dates all align.

Open B for me next time :-)
Last edited by queequeg on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rheicel

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby rheicel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 am

^Well done mate! :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:31 pm

X2 good onya! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:03 am

X3 - good effort!

Might not have seemed like the smartest move, but sometimes you gotta try your luck ;-)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 am

sounds like a great effort.

I finally made my return to racing over the weekend after about 6 months off........Rode Oakville on sat just B grade and pretty much rode away, was happy to let a few of the younger guys sit on. the problem is that Oakville is hard and I cant go with the NRS guys anymore and I unfortunately destroyed B grade. I dont want to wreck other peoples races so I felt really bad, it wasnt my intention I honestly thought B grade was a bit stronger. Then races the waratahs age races on sunday, what a joke of a race 9 of us in M1/M2 with 4 left after a few laps. 2 of us just swapped off and i got the win. Cant wait now to get some training happening and get back to racing properly over the next few months.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:46 pm

trek52, I was in the Oakville race and to be honest, it didn't feel like you ruined the race from where I was (out the back and dropped on lap 5 :lol: ) . I was a bit cooked after a few kms in the legs beforehand, but LACC had half the field there doing a reccy for Tour of August and it's bloody hard trying to shut down breaks when you know you are just dragging their team mates back on to be attacked again.

I copped some BS after dodging turns, which I found pretty disappointing to be honest. I hit my second fastest time up Hancknel ever (my best time was all time best power from 1 to 3 minutes for me!) so I was utterly shanked. If someone can't or won't do a turn, ride away from them and harden up. No one OWES you a turn. They can be frustrated but it's not my fault they missed the break and if I got dropped off the back they are in no better position anyway! Memory is fuzzy but I think the cranky bugger launched a 200m break on the first lap... they are the reason I was stuffed in the first place as I tried to decide if dragging the whole field back on was worth the risk.

Either way, I'm proud of my ride and it was just a training race after demoting myself to B from several DNFs. Feels good knowing I left nothing on the table.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Cul wrote:X3 - good effort!

Might not have seemed like the smartest move, but sometimes you gotta try your luck ;-)
That was what I took out of it. Pre-race plan was to attack at 1.5 laps to go and see what happened. I wasn't worried about placings or prizes, just giving it a go when nobody else would.

I watched the La Course women's race last night and the winner was a solo break from 1.5 laps out, beating the peloton by a couple of seconds on the line!

Under the right circumstances anything is possible. I was going pretty well until the wind really picked up on the last lap, and it just sucked the life out of me trying to maintain even 27km/h, knocking about 300m off my lead over the 4km return leg.

Some positives. I caught and passed B Grade solo, which was loaded with mostly A Grade club riders, so I certainly have the strength to compete at that level.
When I was caught, I found that even 30 seconds sitting in the bunch and I was rested enough to up the pace again. I didn't finish last, and was just behind the placings despite not actually contesting the sprint. It is reasonable to say, given my placing in round 1, I would have been Top 5 if I had just sat in the bunch all afternoon and done a Harry Potter move 500m out. Sitting in the B Grade bunch I do around 75% effort maximum, even taking turns on the front.

I was happy to give it a crack and provide some entertainment for the crowd, even if it was for them to see me utterly ruined at the end. Getting Most Aggressive Rider was icing on the cake, getting a bit of exposure for NWSCC as Paul Craft did the post race interviews lol
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 am

one thing to remember guys is average speed means nothing, do not use it to compare grades.

the difference is the ferocity of the attacks, I have ridden races that have ave less than 37kmh that were way harder than some that ave 45kmh. the stop start 25 to 60 to 21 to 55 in what hurts.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 am

trek52 wrote:one thing to remember guys is average speed means nothing, do not use it to compare grades.

the difference is the ferocity of the attacks, I have ridden races that have ave less than 37kmh that were way harder than some that ave 45kmh. the stop start 25 to 60 to 21 to 55 in what hurts.
Agree. The avg speed also varies wildly based on the course. The NWSCC course was barely over 35km/h for A Grade, and B was not far behind.

Likewise, at Penrith 2 weeks ago our breakaway in B ran faster than A Grade, but exactly as you described, A grade was constantly slowing and surging, whereas our breakaway was holding a solid pace, only slowing slightly into the wind (43km/h vs 39km/h).

When I did the road titles at Penrith it was brutal. Constant accelerations followed by driving miss daisy before another surge. Same avg speed as the breakaway I was in, but with twice the hurt!

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm

If you can hold 24.2 kph, you coulda won the TdF in 1919[emoji3]

TrickyRider

Postby TrickyRider » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Xplora wrote: I copped some BS after dodging turns, which I found pretty disappointing to be honest. I hit my second fastest time up Hancknel ever (my best time was all time best power from 1 to 3 minutes for me!) so I was utterly shanked. If someone can't or won't do a turn, ride away from them and harden up. No one OWES you a turn. They can be frustrated but it's not my fault they missed the break and if I got dropped off the back they are in no better position anyway! Memory is fuzzy but I think the cranky bugger launched a 200m break on the first lap... they are the reason I was stuffed in the first place as I tried to decide if dragging the whole field back on was worth the risk.
Apologies, can't find my old username :S

I was the guy who jumped on the first lap, but I don't remember giving you a serve (or anyone else either). I was the bloke in the Green & Black kit who had a chat to you at the end, if you're the guy who has glasses and NWCC kit :). And completely correct that no one owes anyone anything, all you can do is try and cajole others to help, if they want to get back across. From my POV, I don't care if someone can only take a 50m turn, any rest is a good rest and allows you to redouble your effort compared to sitting there fighting a losing battle.

Anyway, as for my report - same Oakville race as above.

Didn't have my usual ride out warm up as I was running late from morning errands, so drove out with the other half and ended up only having about a 5-10min warm up (which is a bit short for me). Anyway, decided to do one of my usual tricks and attacked seated about 500m after the start up Henckle to see who hadn't warmed up properly, and also to make sure that I got properly warmed up. After I got an initial 100m or so just sat at a hardish tempo until it became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to get around corners and get out of sight.

Sat up and got caught at the bottom of the course before the start/finish line. The pace went up a little as we went up Henckle until someone attacked. A couple of guys went straight away, then a couple more, and I hesitated and jumped just a slight bit too late. Made it most of the way across and started to crack and found 3 others pretty close behind. Started working with one of the guys of the 4 while one of my fellow LACC members sat on (was too cracked) and another guy gave the odd turn. Held the break at about 25s for a while and went up Henckle again - accidentally popped my fellow chasers at the top and sat up for a second before realising that they didn't seem to be coming back, so pressed on.

Caught one of the guys who had been dropped off the break, and worked with him for a while although he looked like he was starting to crack - got as far as the rise up Henckle and he popped - saw another guy had been dropped from the break, and caught him. Yelled to him to jump on as I went past, and slowed up for about 15s waiting for him to jump on, again however he couldn't seem to bridge the small gap so again I kicked on.

Ended up 4th, around 1min 40 behind the winners with the others coming in in small groups as the race had been blown apart. Average HR ended up being 169 for the race, so a pretty hard day out in the end.

Xplora, also I note you said a "few" km's - I'm sure you mentioned 180 to me after the race - to even hang on with 180 in the legs isn't a bad effort at all!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Fantastic effort to get up again after that first attack for 4th! Doesn't sound like you gave me grief. Only consolation was the bloke clearly wasn't enjoying his race. :mrgreen: I had a feeling you must have been LACC because the chase just didn't happen. Come and at hi at Tour of August, hoping to race all stages. I will be sticking out like a sore thumb in the mighty Orange 8)

TrickyRider

Postby TrickyRider » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:17 pm

It ended up being an hour long TT essentially. Learnt a bit about the course though - sprinting over that little kicker at the top of Henckle gives you another 3-4k an hour when you're back on that false flat compared to just grinding it.

I would've been surprised if they were playing teams. It's usually every man for himself at LACC club races. It'll be my first TOA although I can only make 3 stages due to partners birthday and a holiday.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm

I took a punt and entered in Mens Masters 1 at the Vic CX championships.

I was *waaay* outclassed, combined with a poor effort on the day, which meant that I started mid-pack, went back as soon as someone fell off in front of me in the sand, then managed to not be able to ride a hill that everyone else had dialled (and I had nailed in recon), which left me trying to clip in on a slight downhill and going down on my side.

End result was a DNF, abandoning as the race leader lapped me and was shown 2 laps to go. A lingering back injury from two weeks before meant that I was feeling the effects of my tumble even more, so I decided not to push it.

Time to put together a dedicated training regime and improve for next year.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

At least you have some battle stories. :D
I'll be riding M1/2 (combined) at the NSW champs this weekend and with the form I've got and lack of training over the last three months I'm going to struggle. Should be fun though!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:41 pm

KGB wrote:At least you have some battle stories. :D
I'll be riding M1/2 (combined) at the NSW champs this weekend and with the form I've got and lack of training over the last three months I'm going to struggle. Should be fun though!
This was M1 through M3 and U19s. Staggered start for each group and I had some of my M2 mates pass me before the end of the first hazard.

You can see my glorious dismount at about 4 minutes in the vid below - I am number 43 repping the BNA Kit.

I also had to dismount and run in the sand due to a rider down in front of me.

2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

trek52

Postby trek52 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 am

I downloaded my data from oakville, NP of 318 ave power of 298 for 1.11. I backed off with 1.5 laps to go and tried to keep the guys with me so they could get a place. I pretty much did 3/4 of the laps or more on the front and got the others to help on the down hill if they could.

I have prob done more laps of oakville in the last 25 years than anyone, the key is from the start finish to the left turn, the rest of the lap doesnt matter that much as everyone goes down the hill at about the same speed.

Not sure if I will race the TOA or not, but am aiming for the CX titles this weekend :) will come last but it is so much fun.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:49 pm

FTP 320w is A grade, :lol:

TOA B grade Lansdowne, bunch finish

NWSCC rolled out early for the C D E grade start, and enjoyed some gentle cruising from the opening races. Good spectating but sadly our man in C grade got nudged off the track on the second last lap, then a comedy of errors resulted in two riders coming down with cracked ribs being the real winner. Two guys touched elbows, causing a drift across which meant the riders behind collided with another rider coming up. The only take home I could find from that accident was "chill the hell out on the bell lap" because the elbow contact didn't need to be an emergency situation. Touching another rider isn't a crash, even if you hit them hard. Losing your wheels IS a crash. All the best to Pete from Carbon Addiction, get well soon.

After recently demoting myself I figured I was going to do well in B. Unfortunately this was not the case. All my training has destroyed my ability to TT, even if I'm finding efforts a bit easier. We took off, and TrickyRider from LACC (above post) was up to his tricks again. I wanted to mark the moves, but Mat from MWCC was showing a very very strong hand. Second lap in, we equalled the fastest A grade lap, and I registered 330w NP. Welcome back to B grade hey? The laps were fairly steady but a few riders up front for LACC were just destroying themselves marking moves, taking turns while I did my best to suck some wheels and conserve for the attacks. I wanted to be in the mix for the 4th lap prim sprint but that wasn't to be. We rolled around and around, 18 laps of racing and 9 laps, 12 laps, I'm still feeling good but I'm shutting everything down. Everything. I felt like I was trying to be aggressive but I'm wondering if I was simply negative?

4 laps to go and I've had a few hard efforts up the hill to recover from. Mat suggests I have a crack, we've raced before and he knows I can lift but I've lost about 20w of TT since we last rode together and when I attack on the 2nd last lap (surely 8 minutes of power is OK?) I get some space but they are onto me. Our club kit sticks out a lot, and sitting up front all race is a good way to attract attention I guess :lol: I get picked up, and I try to find a wheel back down the hill. Things are getting a bit scrappy and I can't see any wheels to commit to, and I'm pretty much done and I am not a sprinter and I have some more excuses if you give me some time...

I'm annoyed at myself at what I see next. I have piked out, knowing that the sprint is 50m up the road, but then they bloody pull up 200m from the line wondering who will jump. If we were going to do track sprinting, let's go to the velodrome! :shock: The dude with the tree trunks shaped like legs won. Funnily enough. Leximack and I had a red hot crack, we stayed upright and we didn't die wondering.

Razorback TT tomorrow. I woke up from a 3 hour nap, I am wondering if it's worth the drive but I'll never know if I never go ;)

queequeg

Race Report Thread

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:11 pm

TOA Stage 1 - Landsdowne - A Grade - Bunch Finish

With a bit of encouragement I decided to make my A Grade debut for NWSCC after getting promoted (or was it pushed?) from B Grade after a couple of strong wins. With some serious hill climbing training coming up for Fitz's in October, I want to dial back the racing to get some climbs onto my legs. But I digress...

A & B Grade got the lazy 10am start, so I cruised down to SOP to meet the LACC gang riding out to the venue. Important, as I didn't have a clue how to get there! It was a nice easy ride and I was all warmed up on arrival.

It felt a bit weird signing on for A grade....say what?? I only did my first ever race (in D Grade!) almost exactly 3 months ago, so I am hardly a "pro" at this. I stick out like a sore thumb on the start line

This is also my first time at Landsdowne, so I got in a quick lap to see what the circuit looked like. Quite nice as it turns out, and I love that fast twisty descent.

I quickly discovered that A Grade works a bit differently to the other grades. It is constant and sudden attacks followed by sedate sitting up before someone else makes an attack. I'm trying to keep my HR in check, and then my Garmin throws up a message..."Updating GPS software..."..Say What! I had that for 1.5 laps before I got my screen back...grrr

Anyway, nobody was all that interested in the early sprint, so the lone LACC rider who wanted it took off, grabbed the points and sat up. I think I was actually 4th in the sprint that wasn't.

I was getting a bit of coaching advice from some wiser riders in the bunch, mostly about holding lines and not doing too much work. Quite a bit of tactics at play that I am not used to (such as blocking moves up the inside/outside). I'm sure I'll pick this up pretty quickly.

The surging hurt, but I was able to bite the handlebars and stay with the bunch, having a few pulls at the front myself, and being that guy slowing everyone up before surging again.

The final lap was weird. Big attack half way around that got shut down pronto, then it was a leisurely cruise until nearing the last 300m. All I heard was "go go go!" and it was on (and I picked the spot pretty well and was not blocked in). I just grabbed what I thought was a fast wheel and powered on, coming over the line around 7th or 8th, a couple of bike lengths behind the winners.

My pre-race plan was to finish, so by that measure I exceeded my goal. My Strava data shows that I was actually working pretty hard. I hit 180bpm, my highest recorded heart rate so far. I don't have a power meter, so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how I went in that regards. Oh, and I haven't shaved my legs.....yet lol

There will be no easy wins here, but I can at least say I am A Grade material. Just need some fine tuning and work on the tactics and get familiar with the other riders.

I am hoping to give West Head a crack next week (B Grade), then take a mini-break to do some hills. Tue night at the Dragway starts up again in September, and I'd love to see if I can hold on to the bunch there!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 pm

TOA stage 2 Razorback TT 13m5sec

I have never done a TT before. Ever. I had an impression utter was going to be a big deal so I drove out midweek and did 3 repeats just to get a feel of it. I quickly discovered on the reccy that this is a particularly nasty climb. A gentle rise, then a few extra per cent around the corners, easing for 600m then rising through the esses properly and a final ramp of pure torture over 500m. I tried to Froome it, Cadel it, hard to say what was better, times changed but power was identical all 3 attempts.

So I drag myself out of bed and drive down. Interesting that while 8am is the start, we actually have 30 or 40 minutes to warm up. I hit Cawdor Rd and get the blood flowing. A few more loops. Have a quick chat with a Penrith rider in my grade yesterday about his run. Then the start!

I hit a lowish cadence and slam 400w for a minute to get up to pace. I am jacked up on preworkout but I knew that I was going to going to explode trying to defy biology. Normalised power around 360w, am I going too hard? Of course I am. I feel utterly unstoppable but I haven't hit anything resembling a climb yet. I spend the next ramp trying to drag my NP down to prevent a blow up on the final ramp. I sneak off with my Penrith pal's idea to run a higher gear on the middle flat but I am on the limit and still about 40w above my reccy laps. I am considering turning around and quitting so I am definitely not underdoing it :lol:

I have noticed that me standing on the climb doesn't help my recovery much. It still hurts real bad. I have to stand on the last esses to ease the burn but I find a comfortable pelvis angle so I am getting some relief. Unzip the jersey as I turn the corner, and it hurts so much. Oh no. I am still too high and I know that 100m up I will really hurt.

Someone is taking photos and I ask them if they are the timekeepers because there is no guarantee that I have to ascend the whole ramp. The KOM line is about 150m from the intersection so I am in utter denial. They say Only 200 left which just blows me away. The hard first section caught up with me really fast and I have been riding the limit for 10 minutes already. Out of the saddle, turn the pedals four times, back down, my lungs are giving out. 20m left I give it everything I have because I can see 347w 3sec average power, so my legs have something even if the rest of me says get the hell out of town. I cross the line, 20 seconds quicker than my best time last week, 25w NP higher. I got around 13 minutes which was my aim, and only brought up my stomach once. Words really can't describe the hurt from this ride. I was gasping for air for 3 minutes without moving and didn't feel descending was safe for another 2.

It was a great spot, easy to warm up, Macarthur Cycling Club did a great job of organizing and running it. It seems incredible that the best time was under 11 minutes. I turned in my hardest climb effort ever for 2 minutes slower and I was racing A grade a couple months ago. Incredible stuff.

I feel I have a lot of unfinished business on this TT. Time to race my mates up the hills more.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Xplora wrote:TOA stage 2 Razorback TT 13m5sec

I have never done a TT before. Ever. I had an impression utter was going to be a big deal so I drove out midweek and did 3 repeats just to get a feel of it. I quickly discovered on the reccy that this is a particularly nasty climb. A gentle rise, then a few extra per cent around the corners, easing for 600m then rising through the esses properly and a final ramp of pure torture over 500m. I tried to Froome it, Cadel it, hard to say what was better, times changed but power was identical all 3 attempts.

So I drag myself out of bed and drive down. Interesting that while 8am is the start, we actually have 30 or 40 minutes to warm up. I hit Cawdor Rd and get the blood flowing. A few more loops. Have a quick chat with a Penrith rider in my grade yesterday about his run. Then the start!

I hit a lowish cadence and slam 400w for a minute to get up to pace. I am jacked up on preworkout but I knew that I was going to going to explode trying to defy biology. Normalised power around 360w, am I going too hard? Of course I am. I feel utterly unstoppable but I haven't hit anything resembling a climb yet. I spend the next ramp trying to drag my NP down to prevent a blow up on the final ramp. I sneak off with my Penrith pal's idea to run a higher gear on the middle flat but I am on the limit and still about 40w above my reccy laps. I am considering turning around and quitting so I am definitely not underdoing it :lol:

I have noticed that me standing on the climb doesn't help my recovery much. It still hurts real bad. I have to stand on the last esses to ease the burn but I find a comfortable pelvis angle so I am getting some relief. Unzip the jersey as I turn the corner, and it hurts so much. Oh no. I am still too high and I know that 100m up I will really hurt.

Someone is taking photos and I ask them if they are the timekeepers because there is no guarantee that I have to ascend the whole ramp. The KOM line is about 150m from the intersection so I am in utter denial. They say Only 200 left which just blows me away. The hard first section caught up with me really fast and I have been riding the limit for 10 minutes already. Out of the saddle, turn the pedals four times, back down, my lungs are giving out. 20m left I give it everything I have because I can see 347w 3sec average power, so my legs have something even if the rest of me says get the hell out of town. I cross the line, 20 seconds quicker than my best time last week, 25w NP higher. I got around 13 minutes which was my aim, and only brought up my stomach once. Words really can't describe the hurt from this ride. I was gasping for air for 3 minutes without moving and didn't feel descending was safe for another 2.

It was a great spot, easy to warm up, Macarthur Cycling Club did a great job of organizing and running it. It seems incredible that the best time was under 11 minutes. I turned in my hardest climb effort ever for 2 minutes slower and I was racing A grade a couple months ago. Incredible stuff.

I feel I have a lot of unfinished business on this TT. Time to race my mates up the hills more.
Nice effort. 12:58. The guy that did 11:52 I've ridden with occasionally and he does a lot of hill climbing.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Xplora wrote:FTP 320w is A grade, :lol:
Not if you're 100kgs it's not :) but I'm sure trek is way under that!

Nice work guys on the ToA!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

vander

Postby vander » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Check out previous years I believe its been done a lot quicker thank 11:52 in the past, even I have done it (the strava climb) in 11:28 so I would say that is fairly slow if that was the fastest time. Silly to have it on the same weekend as Mudgee would have liked to have a crack.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

vander wrote:Check out previous years I believe its been done a lot quicker thank 11:52 in the past, even I have done it (the strava climb) in 11:28 so I would say that is fairly slow if that was the fastest time. Silly to have it on the same weekend as Mudgee would have liked to have a crack.
That time was the second fastest but he is a C grader that climbs a lot. My point is that Xplora is in a higher grade but mustn't do much climbing.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:24 pm

I'd have to agree, a half decent climber would do a 4km, 5% climb in 10mins or under.

But a hillclimb time trial is never easy, so we'll done for getting up there in a PB!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)