Race Report Thread

Xplora

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Massive props to the entire club. It's much harder to get a race going in NSW than you would realise right now (losing races, not gaining them) and it was great to see DHBC riders put their money where their mouth is and their time into making it happen. Free plug for the Velofix riders and shop who supported the event including the ladies event really well. I can see this kind of event being a template for the future.

I am calling it - the Rookwood Criterium as it was put on will bring more people into bike racing than any other bike event in Sydney. Very friendly, inviting, with a challenging course.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Strawburger wrote:
queequeg wrote:
The green de rosa? If so, you pulled up next to me at the finish. I must say, it's a pretty close match to the NWSCC green :-)
Yes, that is me.

Hehehe, you fishing for a frame swap?
Nah, I just got myself a new bike. The green was impossible to miss though!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Marconi B grade

I think this might've been my last race in B, and a great race it was! Our club had 6 in the field of 30 to 35 and had a mission to attack the race. From the roll out we were in breaks, bridging breaks, surging or shutting it down. I was still smarting from a fortnight ago when I doubled the wattage after some soft laps at the start and didn't get my mojo back. I sat in early while team mates absorbed the workload, running tempo on the front. Our kit is quite bright so it is obvious when we are setting up moves, and I think the bunch could see we were working together and did not want to die wondering what we would do. Made for a great night with lots of attacking.

I got on the front for a couple laps at the end while our man was running a break but they didn't quite have the legs, so I became the sometime lead out for the bunch. I snuck off the front and had 10 metres but almost collected an A grader who wasn't paying attention. I lost a pedal stroke at the wrong time, but managed to keep my 46km solo going around the final bend, jumped to the 13 cog and watched eon pass me like I was stopped at 50kmh lol
Club win, almost picking up 3rd place too! I have been focusing on building fitness rather than wins and I think now might be the time to move up, with a couple other friendly faces coming up at the same time. I got smoked at Rookwood on the weekend but I was a bit smashed before I started. I won't build the legs unless I get amongst it!

Hope queequeg posts his debut :-)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Xplora wrote:
Handicapper error. :lol:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 pm

biker jk wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Are you racing then JK?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 pm

ft_critical wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Are you racing then JK?
Only vicariously through reading this thread. :lol:

vander

Postby vander » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Xplora wrote:Marconi B grade
I got smoked at Rookwood on the weekend but I was a bit smashed before I started. I won't build the legs unless I get amongst it!
If you got smoked at Rookwood dont go up just yet. While it was a solid race it was too hard according to the people I know in it. If you go to A grade now on a tough race you will get dropped everytime and it will be that way for a while. Win a race or 2 first, otherwise you will find out the difference between the top of A and B grade is massive.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

vander wrote:
Xplora wrote:Marconi B grade
I got smoked at Rookwood on the weekend but I was a bit smashed before I started. I won't build the legs unless I get amongst it!
If you got smoked at Rookwood dont go up just yet. While it was a solid race it was too hard according to the people I know in it. If you go to A grade now on a tough race you will get dropped everytime and it will be that way for a while. Win a race or 2 first, otherwise you will find out the difference between the top of A and B grade is massive.

Although I found rookwood hard, it was a comfortable hard. There is no chance finding me in A any time soon for the exact reasons Vander points out.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:49 pm

I have won my races in B, I haven't specifically targetted "wins" as a goal for a while as I'm in base training phase and supporting our riders in the new club (NWSCC). I've been doing a ton of attacking lately and it eventually becomes ridiculous because you destroy your opposition, and I'm fairly wary of the title Sandbagger :lol:

You'll keep JK. 8) NWSCC accepting new members ;)

queequeg

Race Report Thread

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Been busy with the kiddies, but here it is:

Had my debut in D-Grade with NWSCC. When I rocked up to sign in, new race licence receipt printed on paper and the brand new Cervelo with matching helmet & shoes, the guy at the desk suggested that there was no way I was D-Grade as I looked too "Pro". After convincing him that it was in fact the first time I have ever raced, he said "Ok, but if you place you're going up"

We had about 8 guys from NWSCC in D-Grade, including a few other first timers. I did a few warm up laps and had a go at a couple of sprints, which just confirmed that I am not a sprinter.

We had an initial plan of sorts, which was to control the pace and with about 4 laps to go for the breakaway and run a rolling pace line and destroy the bunch.
Easier said than done I guess. We were up the front for the entire race taking turns, and I had some big spells out the front trying to motivate the bunch to up the pace. A few riders from other clubs tried to break free, but someone from NWSCC shut them down each time.
Coming into the last few laps, a couple of riders went off the front and nobody was chasing. I had plenty of legs so I chased from 6th or 7th and just hung on the first riders wheel till another rider shot up the inside. I just swapped from one wheel to the other and went with him. He lasted about 1 minute and I was on my own again, way out in front. So far in front that I almost caught C-Grade, so when the bell went I initially thought it was for them, not D-Grade. I then got stuck behind them on the first turn and the D-Grade bunch closed down the gap. What I should have done was sneak up the inside of C-Grade and used them as a road block, but that will have to be for another day!

I put the hammer down on the back straight, but I went wide on the final turn into the home straight and I saw Des (one of my team mates) going down the inside for the sprint. I gave it everything I had but just couldn't match his legs in the last 50m and he crossed a couple of bike lengths in front of me. I grabbed 2nd place, which I'll happily take!

Coming around the other side after the finish I was given some encouragement in the form of "See you in C Grade". Fair enough, I was never outside the top 10 and there was nobody in the bunch that really made a serious attempt to go with me. Des was on my wheel and took advantage of my wide turn. Lesson learned, but he took a well deserved win for smart racing.

NWSCC clean sweeped D-Grade and made up the bulk of the top 10. As a result there are a few promotions to C-Grade next week. We should have a good sized group causing pain again. I have no idea what to expect in C. I better wear different socks next week because I might be a marked man, and Xplora might cop an earful about "first time racers" in D-Grade :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

vander

Postby vander » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 am

Xplora wrote:I have won my races in B, I haven't specifically targetted "wins" as a goal for a while as I'm in base training phase and supporting our riders in the new club (NWSCC). I've been doing a ton of attacking lately and it eventually becomes ridiculous because you destroy your opposition, and I'm fairly wary of the title Sandbagger :lol:
Up to you if you heed the advice. I can tell you when I went to A grade I could comfortably be off the front of B grade the majority of the race. I still battled in my first few A grade races. The people that have successfully stepped up did the same. Another perspective for you in power terms. You did 340W for the last lap and was happy with that. In A grade I have averaged 330W that for a race.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:31 am

Xplora wrote:
I am calling it - the Rookwood Criterium as it was put on will bring more people into bike racing than any other bike event in Sydney. Very friendly, inviting, with a challenging course.
I wasn't there so maybe I am missing something, but I don't really understand why it was so popular and sold out it an hour online? From the reports I've heard it sounds like the surface was pretty bad. Is it just the novelty factor of racing somewhere new and different?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16 am

Never underestimate your sprint, everyone has a sprint. If I looked at my bell lap, I might conclude I can't sprint but I was at thr end of a lap of vo2max as eon passed me at 60kmh. You would have a lot more kick if you sat in more. And that's why you started in D, I brought down the C grade pack attempting to sprint after 15 minutes locked in the hurt box. Fail. D grade sprint is a bit less dangerous for new players.

Congrats Quee, very impressive first effort.

Hear what you are saying vander. Still copping pressure lol

Bluejay, novelty is a big thing. Support the scene! Racing should expand but we are losing races and venues!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 am

congrats Queequeg. nothing wrong with placing in your first race, quite the opposite! i get a bit annoyed with overzealous handicappers who think they've failed if you succeed.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 am

The handicappers are very very flexible, and trust me... quee absolutely dominated, and he showed up in brand spankin' shoes and helmet with a3 day old aero bike. His warmup then drew cries of "oh cmon!" lol he'll enjoy C grade more IMO
It's a tough call, plenty of strong legs can't time a race to save themselves, quee was damn unlucky to not be 100m down the road when he crossed the finish line. Live and learn. We'll work on some cornering ;)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:22 pm

he could have put his helmet on backwards or something to make them feel more comfortable :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm

He could have had Fred on his race licence and they would have been suspicious LOL

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

I think there were a few doubts about whether I was actually a first timer, but it was legitimate. I only starting riding just before my first son was born, and moved house just after #2 was born, so the last 6 years have not had much opportunity for team events. I am not going to get any younger and the arrival of NWSCC to the local scene gave me a "no more excuses" reasoning.

Yes, I was strong out there, but I didn't win because I made a few mistakes. I probably could have gone solo 4 laps from the end and avoided a sprint, but my aim was to learn something, not build a bad reputation. I need to work on my cornering, which I was overly cautious on as this was only my second ride on the new bike and I am not used to it yet. I thought the tyres might let go, or the pedals strike the ground (first time on SPD-SL), so I am sure I lost 5 seconds on every corner.

I won't be jumping off the front in C. I need to learn some tactics.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:19 pm

The tactic is "Throw The New Guy In The Hurtbox". Half a dozen laps off the front and sit in for the sprint. Job done. :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Xplora wrote:The tactic is "Throw The New Guy In The Hurtbox". Half a dozen laps off the front and sit in for the sprint. Job done. :)
ok, you just say when :-)

vander

Postby vander » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Bluejay87 wrote: I wasn't there so maybe I am missing something, but I don't really understand why it was so popular and sold out it an hour online? From the reports I've heard it sounds like the surface was pretty bad. Is it just the novelty factor of racing somewhere new and different?
Rookwood for me was one of the places I learned to ride a bike. I always said I would love to race around there. The race didnt let down. The best thing in a race is good competition, doesnt really matter what course if the competition is good. Saying that I like a sketchy bumpy course makes things fun for me. There is a nice little climb that is perfect for a crit. First few laps you dont notice you are going uphill but by the end it really hurts, perfect crit climb. There is a long finishing straight with a kicker at the end which is great for a sprint. The corners in the dry would be very fast and safe (they werent too bad in the wet). All in all great course, the competition was awesome.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Tour of South West, Warrnambool. Masters C

st.1 ITT - 12.5km, 19:04, 39.2 km/h. finished 13th, 52 secs. back.

got soaked riding out to the course in Wangoom - at least I got a warmup in though.. thought I might have been faster, caught a couple of riders. no mechanical problems with the TT bike for the first time! not much tactics here, just pinned it on the redline for 19 minutes. 39 clicks is slow for a TT rig over such a short distance, but the course is quite blowy so it feels like you're standing still at some points.

st.2 road race - 51km, 35.8 km/h, finished 26th in bunch.

the road race is the easiest of the 3 stages in this race. i tried a gentle attack on lap 1 of 3, but was quickly swept up. then I was reminded why it's not that easy - crosswinds. big crosswinds. it's only for a relatively short section of the course, a couple of km, that are really exposed to big crosswinds. on lap 2, someone decided to do some damage and strung the bunch out. I was fully anaerobic, desperately hanging onto the wheel in front (which wasn't offering much protection) - I can see the power trace going up to 700w as I battled to stay on. luckily I did. lap 3 was a bit easier as riders waited for the sprint - then it was on, a drag race to the line. I'm a hopeless sprinter so I stayed safely ensconced in the bunch for 26th - still had to lay max. power down to hang on though..

st.3 criterium, Sunday morning, 20.2 km, 36.5 km/h, finished 13th with lead bunch.

the crit is arguably the hardest stage of the Tour - a brutal course around Warrnambool cemetery that includes a sharp hill. again I awoke to wet roads and thought "this is going to be fun!" some people don't like wet crits, they tend to get cancelled at club events. i see opporunity :) the commissaire asked us on the start line what we thought and I yelled out "harden up!" luckily it didn't really rain, just a touch of drizzle so the roads stayed wet, but no rivers formed.

a few laps and the bunch was riding very tentatively around the corners so I decided to test them out and launched an attack. not a brutal one, just eased off the front but took corners at full speed. I was joined by a couple of guys who are stronger than me and we tried to push on. but we were caught - there are some really strong, punchy riders in our grade and they weren't about to let us roll away. I think we put a few people in difficulty though as the bunch started to whittle down gradually.

from here my legs started to feel the pain. every time we rode up that hill they got softer and softer. eventually I took to just easing off the front bunch and catching back on the downhill - utilising the slowing pace as they entered the next corner. I only had one small rear wheel twitch the whole race, was feeling comfortable in the wet with some fast downhill corners. thankfully we got the 2 laps sign out and I just tried to hang on - which I did, only just.

thanks to some riders getting shelled, I moved up to a final position of 7th overall - thanks to consistency. this Tour is pretty flat and a real rouleur's race, but the hilly crit is the sting in the tail if you're too heavy to go up hills. I'm big enough to handle the winds (just) but light enough to still cling on up hills - this course mix probably suits me the best of the VRS races. I just need to work on my TTing and I could crack top 5 I reckon.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun May 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Great effort there jules. Well done!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 am

Nice work Jules :-)

Raced today... 75.4km with an average of 39.8 and 750 meters up and down. Way too fast for a Cat 3 race!. Cat 1&2 had 2 minutes head start and we caught them by half way then left them behind!.
Few young guys who should be racing FFC and not with us oldies, they sat on the front and just drove it... I was happy to finish in the bunch but don't have the form to get up near the front in the last km!.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 am

thanks Rheicel. that makes a mockery of my racing TLL... brutal :shock: