Race Report Thread

jules21

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 am

nice effort Cerb and you are clearly well established in A grade now. I've increasingly started to adopt that tactic of attacking and animating crits, as it's a good way to build form. sitting in and waiting for the sprint might be smart tactics (if you can sprint, which you can, but I can't), but you never build the form that means you're strong enough to dictate matters.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Sounds like a reasonably animated race Cerb,

Muzz B-Grade Crit
31.3km, avg. 42.4kph

I’ve been racing at Muzz (aka Murarrie) the past few, the weekend just gone was no exception with a decent crowd of about 55 riders in the race, although down from previous weeks because Sizzling Summer Series was on the following day (previous weeks has been a spit race of 40odd in each). I’d come to the race with almost no warm up having to drive out as my ride home clashes with the little one’s dancing, I’d had next to no sleep and of the back of a pretty solid week of training hitting some power PB’s earlier in the week. :shock:

I had one goal this week, to stay toward the front for the duration of the race, bridge to the break and go for gold (I got dropped from the winning break last week). It felt like a bit of an easy race it seemed everyone was insistent on rolling easy tempo, a break would go but generally only one or two riders and then they’d be chased back… another break would go, and again brought back… I figured I’d give it a crack, after bridging across to a break of 3 riders I soon discovered there was little interest in working… Back to the bunch! :x

The pace kicked up for the two primes, of which I didn’t contest but rolled through 3rd or 4th wheel anyway. The last 10mins of the race the pace picked up the 3-Lap board come out a little earlier than expected, I did my best to move up towards the front – on the second last lap a few gave it some stick, I was there but all we seemed to do was string out the bunch without managing to get unhooked. On the start of the final lap I was swamped finding the legs had no more. :oops:

In all not unhappy, fitness is coming along well; first race on oval rings – maybe the last race on the BH (I just brought a Cervelo S3 frameset). 8) 8) 8)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for the comments guys. It's good to have an idea of how it works per se.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 am

Love NBD Cul! Sounds like you're turning into a crit beast >.<

Carriage - One other thing to watch is the start of the race can often be fast while people establish themselves and a break goes off the front. This can mean that the first 10-15mins are pretty fast, but the pace often comes off after that. Make it through the first ~15mins and you often get some recovery time mid race until the final 5-10mins.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 pm

HCC b grade tonight. the pace is picking up in this grade lately. 41.4 km/h average, 37 minutes, 256w avg. power, 337w normalised power (that'll be the 1000w kicks out of the bottom corner). pretty happy with that, although I am just hanging on for dear life. I did 1/2 lap on the front and regretted that for the next 5.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm

SSS C grade. 42kph average. Looking to get value out of my race licence I entered the SSS. I had only a couple of club races in c grade under my belt . The club races were small, 10-15 riders and had a pace of 36 or so kph.They didn't really do much to prepare me for the SSS. Standing in a bunch of 60 odd riders waiting to start, I was nervous, but it was too late to back out.

I found the large bunch very intimidating and was happy to sit on the back and to the side for most of the race. There are no inclines or corners to brake for in the course so it was very fast, to me anyway, and no free rides to the front. At 36kph I was in my comfort zone. At 42, I was very close to the limit of my power. Twenty minutes in, I wanted to test myself and get some experience. So I made a move up to the front. It took a heavy toll, but I was happy with my effort and form. I settled to the back again. In the heat of the moment you think crazy things. So in the third last lap, with a moderated effort, I started to make my to the front again when there was a large crash. Being near the side I avoided the carnage, but the race was stopped for half hour as it was serious. Went cold resting and lost my mojo thinking too much. That said, the field was very strong and I doubt I would have had much chance anyway.

We resumed with a neutral lap and then two more. I was happy to just roll around at that stage. It was an awesome experience and I learned a lot. Looking forward to round 2.
Last edited by Patt0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Patt0 wrote:SSS C grade. 42kph average. Looking to get value out of my race licence I entered the SSS. I had only a couple of club races in c grade under my belt . The club races were small, 10-15 riders and had a pace of 36 or so kph.They didn't really do much to prepare me for the SSS. Standing in a bunch of 60 odd riders waiting to start, I was nervous, but it was too late to back out.
Good effort Patto. Heard there were a few bad crashes in all most grades.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Life Cycle - C Grade - Nundah Crit- 1st ever race!

Well this was my try at racing and as I've ridden socially with the Lifecycle club, I thought why not try their crits.

I rode out to Nundah which is around 30kms from home. I was told to go into C grade and there were about 15 riders i think, 3 of us there had never raced before.

Had the initial instructions, we set off and the whistle went, that was the cue that we were now racing! :mrgreen:

Quite a sharp pace to start for the 1st few laps which soon settled down to a steady tempo, people moving around, a few shouts and calls. I felt good at the current pace, then heard another whistle about 15 minutes in, ah, the prime!

I was mid-pack and knew that wasn't the best place if I wanted to contest, so moved up the bunch in the 2nd half of the lap and coming around the long sweeping last corner was in 3rd wheel.

The 2 riders in front wound up the pace and I kept close, they got out the saddle and so did I, went hard on the sprint and won the prime! Looked behind and I had opened up a big gap, split second decision, keep the power on or slow and drop back into the bunch.

I chose the former and kept the tempo up and went into time trial mode (I've never done a TT either haha). So 15mins to go, i've gone solo off the front, rookie suicide! :mrgreen:

Well, I kept on it, got into a rhythm, averaging a good speed, each lap, I looked back and had about 30 seconds on the bunch. Kept my head down, wow, 2 laps to go, still out front, ah, the bell, 1 lap to go!!

Look back, still a decent gap, down the final straight, sprint to the line, look back and still had 15-20 seconds of the bunch. WINNER! :shock: :D

So, my first race was pretty damn successful but I don't think i'll be racing in C grade next time.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:46 am

Nice ride Adam! It's great to get a win early on with your racing.. helps you get addicted! :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am

SKCC A-Grade
49km, avg. 46.6kph

Fun racing yesterday! Solid average speed kept it fairly clean and consistent.

I tried for a couple of breaks - the first was a bunch of 5 up the road about 20mins in and the combination of guys looked pretty capable of staying away... I bridged across with Pat Lane, and jumped straight in rolling turns, but Pat kept attacking the group and it blew me and one other up after only 2 laps, then shattered the break a few hundred metres later...

Tried again a bit later, but we never got more than 50m or so off the bunch and with the pace not easing off, it looked like it was going to be a bunch kick.

I'd left myself no legs left for the finish and rolled in behind the sprint - pretty spent. It was a quick finish too; I hit 60.2kph just to hold the wheel back in ~20th. I picked up my 2y.o. just after the race and she said 'Daddy's all sweaty.. made me all wet...' as she scrunched up her face. haha

Pretty happy with my race - managed to ride up the front most of the time and do some tactical racing... I just don't have the legs to stay with the top guys.

Back on the trainer tonight! :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Muzz B-Grade Crit
32.5km, avg. 45.4kph

Again, I rolled up to the Muzz after struggling with little warm up last week this time I drove to the circuit, then went for a Wynnum / Manly bay loop… But I’d not left myself much time so the warm up loop ended up being 45mins of solid tempo; I rolled up to the race to register literally as riders were rolling over to the riders briefing… At least I was warmed up. With 65 riders, there was a fair-sized bunch today, we rolled away at a steady pace then as I come around the first corner and dropped my chain… SHIFTUCK after fixing it up I rolled around and took a lap out and re-joined the bunch.

The pace was already fairly hot, I did my best to work my way forward as I wanted to hover around 6th wheel, I floated there for most of the race only slipping back further after a few big efforts chasing the a few breaks (unsuccessful as I brought the bunch with me). The race was fast, very fast! My positioning seemed to be never quite right for the two Primes, I was close but simply put I haven’t got enough of a kick to challenge from short range (if I were to wind up a lap out however I might stand a chance).

Late in the race a break of 2 or 3 riders went up the road, not sure how but they managed to sneak a good hundred meters on us pretty quickly. I am not sure if the bunch didn’t notice or… But it wasn’t until the final two laps where we started to do something about, a few of us got on the front and started driving pretty hard; the break was caught on the final corner I was toast and rolled across with the bunch.

Overall pretty happy with the effort, the solid warm up made a huge difference IMO. The race was fast and steady, I had a lot of fun which is the main thing.

On the NBD – Cervelo is still being built up; position is just not right so I am waiting on a two-position seat post, and a few other bits and pieces.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:34 pm

46.6 and 45.4 km/h :shock:

those are some serious speeds, especially for a B grade crit Cul..

that sucks Cerb. I hate it when newbies who don't know how to roll turns spoil the break's rhythm with their over-enthusiasm :lol:

I got beaten by Lizzie Williams again on the weekend. she can sprint.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Nice ride Cul. 45.4kph is certainly quick for B-Grade!
Must be killer to have a new bike sitting there and not be able to ride it? *prod*

Too right Jules! ;)
Unfortunately, I think he was actually trying to drop the likes of me - as I break the rythm a bit by not being able to roll through hard enough, due to already nudging my limiter to keep up... He just ended up killing everyone else as well though! >.<

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 pm

cerb wrote:Unfortunately, I think he was actually trying to drop the likes of me - as I break the rythm a bit by not being able to roll through hard enough, due to already nudging my limiter to keep up... He just ended up killing everyone else as well though! >.<
I imagine he might also just be trying to smash himself and put in some hard efforts. if he was really trying to stay away he's not going to do that solo and could still have used a breakaway partner, even if they were not able to pull as hard as him, and virtually no one can.

I have that issue regularly in crit breakaways and particularly road race handicaps. riders figure out they're slightly stronger than their fellow riders and try to drop them. that's fine if you're 2km from the finish line, but not so smart when there's still 1/2 hour or more to go.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:04 pm

From memory we had T.Clarke, N.Squiliari, Drapac Rider, Inform Rider (eventual winner), Satalyst Rider and a Total Rush rider in the break. Felt like he was trying to apply the pressure and then see who was left to keep going...

No point in bridging and not working with anyone, because you only end up doing a couple of short efforts. Better to work with a couple of others, and go for a long threshold session!

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 pm

cerb wrote:Must be killer to have a new bike sitting there and not be able to ride it? *prod*
I will be honest and say the longer it sits there and I look at it the more doubts I am having about the fit... I ride a very Adam Hansen'esk position on the BH, saddle slammed forward, decent saddle / bar drop, longer cranks - I am just not sure I will get the position I like on the Cervelo. :oops:

Worst case I could always sell the frame, and the SRM and put all the DA9000 stuff on the BH. 8)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 pm

cerb wrote:From memory we had T.Clarke, N.Squiliari, Drapac Rider, Inform Rider (eventual winner), Satalyst Rider and a Total Rush rider in the break. Felt like he was trying to apply the pressure and then see who was left to keep going...
hmm good company :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Bit quiet in here lately!

SKCC 2016/17 Club Champs
47km, avg. 45.8kph

I missed a couple weeks on the bike due to sickness and family commitments before rocking up to my crit club champs last Sunday. But good temps and no real wind was nice. As it was club champs, we only had about 40-50 odd riders starting in the elite group, so a smaller bunch than usual.

My plan for the day was to sit-in (conserve for the whole race), then sprint at the finish as I thought that was my best chance at a result. Unfortunatley, I over analysed the situation during the race and found myself bridging to a break at about the 20min mark and also helping to shut down a dangerous move in the last 1/4 of the race...

There was an attack immediately after crossing the start line after the neutral lap. I was sitting near the front watching one guy go, followed by another and another until one key guy went and immediately 4-5 of us were not happy for it to go and the pace came on. I found myself on the front a couple of times in the early laps, as lone, or pairs of riders tried to break away but I didn't need to pedal too hard so was still relatively happy to be there.

(early in the race, cruising on the front) photo: Mich Adventures

A break of three went clear for a few laps but were brought back without much stress. A small strong group countered straight away, got a gap quickly and settled into a rythm. After a few laps, I was about 3rd wheel when another strong guy and 2 others went to bridge across and I figured the move would be quite dangerous at that point - so I tried to jump on and go with them. Problem was that I was about 3 lengths too slow and took the next lap and a half to close up on them fully as I was going solo and they were rolling hard with 3 guys...! When I got to about 30m from the break, I realised I hadn't even checked if anyone was with me, I'd just been going all out to close the gap...

When I finally checked, I saw one of the fastest guys in the bunch (eventually 2nd place) just following my wheel, so I flicked him through and he finished closing the gap. Upon arrival to the break I was cooked... and unfortunately, the bunch had noted that a high proportion of the main contenders were in the break and were working hard to shut it down - which they did within the next lap.

In my effort to bridge I actually hit a PR for the circuit on one of the laps - 1:06 for the 1km loop, averaging 55.1kph at 186bpm (95% max)! For the ~3 laps of getting across to the break, I averaged 50.5kph at 183bpm(93% max)... MASSIVE match burnt and we were only half way into the race...!

Anyway... I recovered for a few minutes and another break of 3 established and managed to stayed out there until about 15mins to go. There wasn't much in the way of chasing them and one of the sprinters was getting pretty animated while trying to motivate people to chase (but doing as little as possible himself). With about 20mins to go, the break still had a solid gap and I ended up doing a few turns to help shut it down, but after I got sat on the front for a whole lap with no-one wanting to come past, I reverted to sitting in and letting others chase.

('recovering' in the bunch after smashing myself to bridge to a break) photo: Mich Adventures

With about 8mins to go I'd locked onto the wheel of a fast sprinter (eventual winner) just as the break got caught. My team mate countered with 2 other guys and got a gap straight away. They held a good gap until 3 laps to go when last years champ came to the front and dropped a bomb which decimated the bunch and knocked the 20sec gap down to a 5 sec gap within half a lap. I knew the pace wasn't sustainable and punted that the pace would drop as soon as the break was caught, so I dropped a few wheels, made sure I didn't work too hard and ensured I didn't get boxed in.

Sure enough, with 2 laps to go, we caught my team mate's break and the pace came off sharply. I was moving up the outside really quickly just by holding my speed, but the sudden drop in speed meant the bunch spread fully across the road and I had to break fairly hard - trapped 3rd row back in about 20th! I moved up a few spots over the next 1.5 laps, but the average pace was 54kph for the last lap, so by the final turn I'd only managed to move up to about 15th - too far back to contest the finish. So, I sprinted a little out of the corner, then rolled across the line in about 12th.

(you can kind-of see me hiding behind the guy in the middle of the frame (2nd place) at the finish line...) photo: Mich Adventures

I was pretty cooked. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't follow my race plan - as the race eventuated in a fairly predictable bunch sprint and the guy who I was following in the closing stages went on to win. However, I decided that you can't really second guess specific moves and race outcomes in such a fluid environment... you have to follow your gut sometimes. It didn't pay off this time, but maybe it will in the future!

My new lap PR was somewhat of a consolation to not following my own tactics in this race, particularly as it was virtually solo and not sitting on someones wheel!

All in all, fairly happy with my race, fitness level and entire crit season!

Crit racing season is all done in Melbourne now, so I'll be crawling back into my cave to hibernate... Next race report likely to be in October! Looking forward to it already! :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm

Good onya Cerb, if ya don't have a go, you'll never know. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 pm

SMCC Kermesse, Caribbean Gardens 26/03/2017 – C grade

Forum forgive me for I have sinned.

It had been 371 days between races, and whilst in that time I have done plenty of km, very little of it has resembled training.

Anyhow, I got a leave pass to attend a race that was only about 8km from home. The club has a default grading of C grade for new riders, and that suited me just fine. I spend the day before cleaning up the race bike, and making some positional adjustments.

I rocked up to the race, paid my dues and pinned the number on. The circuit was a beauty, it was about 3km long with no really tight corners, and lots of width, and just enough undulation to keep it interesting. I was in a slightly unusual place given that for the first time in decades, I was unconcerned about distance (60min +), and since it was my first race for a long time I was quite happy to just sit back and watch, and let others animate the race.

There was a good number who turned up to race, perhaps 25 in C grade, so lots of opportunity to hide. As it turned out the bunch was happy to stay together, there was a couple of attacks that went, but didn’t draw much of a response, and for good reason as they were brought back in a lap or so. I even went to the front and even off the front briefly, but the limpet who came with me wasn’t keen to do any work, so that ended quickly.

Into the last lap there was a strong move up the hill with 2km to go by a small climber type, but he didn’t get enough of a gap and the descent to the bottom corner saw him pulled back. Then there was an immediate attack at the start of the long drag up to the finishing straight. The response strung the bunch out, but I was too far back to do much else but follow. A handy wheel came past at this point so I dropped on and got towed toward the front and at the top of the hill with 300m to go I unleashed my awesome power to try and close the gap to the place getters.

I got close, but not close enough. The attacker held on for a well earned win, I was closing on the next best, and only succeeded in being the lead out for someone else who rolled me for fourth.

All in all it was a pretty good morning, I felt comfortable in C grade, and whilst I didn’t have much in the way of explosive power, I think I could find a way to be at the pointy end with a bit of application.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 am

Ya just lulling them into thinking they can beat ya anytime, Cameron. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Well I did my 2nd and 3rd ever race over the weekend.

First race was at Nundah in Brisbane, in Lifeycle C grade. A small bunch, maybe 10 riders. 38km/h avg

Pace was comfortable, spent a large portion on the front, no break aways.

So, 2 lap board came out and I dropped off the front to last wheel, coming around for the last lap I was at the back, strong headwind on the back straight and we were cruising at around 35km/h, I shot out from the back over the line as the bell went, kept it pinned and went solo for the last lap. No one managed to jump on my wheel and I got a clear win, about 20 seconds in front of 2nd place. :D

2nd race was Rd 3 of the Summer Sizzling Series, grade C, 60 odd riders. 42km/h avg

Big difference riding in a large group like that, had to keep your wits about you, no hairy moments for me,gave space in the corners, followed my line etc. Did a few turns on the front, sat at the back a bit, just trying to get as much experiance as I could.

So, last 2 laps and I was up the front, arounfd 3rd wheel, last lap I found myself on the front with half a lap to go, I let the pace drop a bit and a big pack rolled up my inside on the 2nd to last corner, I had to take it wide and the pace wound up, I didnt really try and go hard, which in hindsight I should've, as I had good legs, didn't attempt to sprint on theback straight either and so rolled in around 13th overall. So happy with that and just to get more experiance. Pace was comfortable, didnt feel taxed at all, so should've gone harder, but hey ho you live and learn.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

Sounds like you'll do a-ok at racing adam ;)

ItsDank

NWSCC and Marconi Eastern Creek Div 2 on 15.04.2017

Postby ItsDank » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

NWSCC and Marconi Eastern Creek Div 2 on 15.04.2017
Beautiful day out at EC and the race started off quick, so quick that I decided to sit mid pack for over half an hour into proceedings. The prime came and Julian attacked, I hopped on the back and promptly blew up before the sprint, sometimes you just don't have the legs.

After the prime, Noeris and myself sat at the back of the pack discussing my lack of legs and we essentially hatched a plan for me to guide him and deliver him to the front of the race. I spent a lap moving him mid pack and then another lap to get him up to the front, dropping him neatly into the hotseat. I blew up, again, and decided to sit this one in till the end.

Noeris attacked on what he thought was the last lap but it was actually the second last lap, there was some confusion with the signs held up and the ringing bells. He took an imaginary 4th and promptly exited the race. Meanwhile I felt a renewed lease of life on the real last lap and decided to contest the sprint. I got boxed in and neutralized myself for the safety of the bunch coming up to the final kick.

Great racing all round and one hell of a day out on the bike!

vander

Postby vander » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I was also out at the NWSCC & Marconi race today in Div 3. Been a turbulent few years for me with a number of surgeries but hopefully me last one (about a month ago) will be the end of it. As DanK said it was a great day. Awesome weather great racing with good numbers in the grades. This was my first race (and first bunch ride) since my last surgery and second race in about 18 months and it was awesome to be back.

NWSCC & Marconi Race | Div 3 | Eastern Creek Raceway | 3rd

Not too much to report to be honest. I went for the Prime, didn't have the legs. Went for the win, didn't have the legs. Being my first ride like this in a while I wasn't very used to the up and down of a race. I was pretty happy though with the general fitness I was able to follow a few moves and keep myself in a good spot. Coming into the sprint I thought I might be OK I was positioned really well coming into the end (4th or 5th wheel) I kept following wheels trying to leave it late but when I went to stand up and sprint I just had no legs I couldn't even get out of the saddle. Still with good positioning and following wheels well I was able to pick up 3rd so I need to take the positives out of it. It was good to be back at it and was so much fun.

Time: 1:04
Speed: 37.7km/h
Power: 235W avg (280NP)
Max Power: 1005W (going for the prime)

Currently it is looking like I may qualify as a Para-Cyclist (I have a provisional classification of C5) so currently booked in to race at Para-Nationals in 2 weeks. Needless to say I am under prepared with my interrupted run in but it should be good.