Race Report Thread

queequeg

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
After being on this forum for a few years now, and being around the bike races for decades, I can say without hesitation that there is not a person registered on this forum who could go anywhere near Matt (Trek52) in a sprint. If you think you could even hold the guys wheel you are kidding yourself. And hes well past his prime too I might add.
You can imagine my relief when Trek bumped himself up to Div 1 on Saturday. I spent the first 15 min of the Div 2 race trying to find him!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm

Derny Driver wrote:After being on this forum for a few years now, and being around the bike races for decades, I can say without hesitation that there is not a person registered on this forum who could go anywhere near Matt (Trek52) in a sprint. If you think you could even hold the guys wheel you are kidding yourself. And hes well past his prime too I might add.
speak for yourself! I can touch 50 km/h in a sprint :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:23 am

Good to see you out there trek52 last night.

Marconi A grade at the Dragway hockey stick.
I had the most suspicious flat ever yesterday. First northern corner out of the tunnel, my wheel jumps on the bell lap. I was relatively fresh after joining a couple break attempts with Trent and Cru. Anyone who fancies themselves in a break with Cru on a fast day (race average 44kmh) with wind has their work cut out for them. He pulled 200m turns while we might have done 40m. The guy is an animal.

Great race for me, proud of my effort. Still need more race legs but that will come.

Random whinge. Do not come across the track after your race is over. The A break almost T-boned a few inattentive B graders last night. Cru locked up and fishtailed for 7m at 50kmh? Will have a word to the Commissaire, these incidents are getting more common. Pay attention out there.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:30 am

Yeah, that is an issue at the end of the race. I was with the B graders but saw them coming and pulled over on the grass on the side. There was plenty of yelling going on, but some still managed to get in the way. Probably need someone to stand down there and direct traffic for the last 10 minutes when the races are finishing up. I was keen to get back to the finish line to see the A grade finish.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

knowing how to pull off or to the side safely after your race is run, while another grade is still racing is an integral part of race craft. if riders are wobbling all over the track while recovering from the race finish or swapping stories then they shouldn't be out there. it shouldn't require a marshal to direct them - stay off the racing line after you've finished.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:08 am

It is a little unique at EC drag strip. The finish line is kind of out of the way of the main track. Basically the outside drag strip lane is used for the main race and the inside drag lane is used for the finish sprint. So you are in the clear at the finish and about 400m after that. The problem is that everyone wants to get back to the finish line where spectators are watching the finish. and this involves cutting onto the back straight as it is the only way to do it. But you are correct.... people should be attentive at all times. However everyone is back patting and recovering and 90% of the time if you are in B grade there is only one grade still out on track and they are nowhere near where you get on the back straight... but the other 10%.....

trek52

Postby trek52 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:07 pm

thanks for the back slapping boys :)

Last night Marconi A grade 4th
Weird race, just way to fast for anyone to get away. Did a bit early, then sat in, bridged a massive gap, sat in, had a few goes at the end. Tried to sprint but got taken out by a kid on restricted gears ended up 4th.
I am now saying its a crap circuit, just no where to hurt anyone. I will give some examples using power numbers

Overall - Ave 243, NP 330, HR 145
Mid 20min - Ave 192, NP 223, HR 128
Last 20min - Ave 261, NP 377, HR 150

So it shows how easy it is if you sit on.

Some sprint numbers, remembering I got caught up and had to sprint to get back onto the wheel
5 sec 1240, 10 sec 1132, 20 sec 1105 , 30 sec 984

there was prob 5 lengths between me Nash, Bally and Cru 1-4 and I have seen some of their numbers and their peak is not much different (my 30 sec is) so I am glad the 1500w guys werent there :)

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:19 pm

It's certainly your 20sec at 1100W and 30sec at 984W which destroys people in a sprint. Plenty of people will have a higher peak power, but it tails off VERY quickly. Keeping that high power down for so long is not something many people can do!

Kids with restricted gears contesting the end of races always amaze me. The amount of spinning required is seriously impressive!

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:34 pm

377 NP for last 20 mins doesn't sound easy to me!

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:40 pm

And not trying to be annoying, but since you mention it Nash posted an IG video of his odd spoke sprint where he hit 1400+ and was still beaten by law

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:01 pm

How do you get the 5/10/20 second power numbers? When I peak 1300W it is only the initial kick for like one garmin sample. I think that could be the reason for disparity in power numbers. I am sure my 5s numbers are way down on that.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Use the power curve function in strava premium or the CP chart in GC

trek52

Postby trek52 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

That sprint was weird at the Odd Spoke, Law got a massive jump on Nash, it wasnt outright power that beat him it was more the fact that Nash didnt get out in time. Not saying either way who would have won but the gap was not due to power issue from Nash. Remember Law is prob the fasted guy in NSW so he can prob hit the 1500+ numbers !!!

The power numbers come from training peaks.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 am

I found the power data on Strava. For comparison (I am around 70kg), I was also at EC Marconi Tuesday in B grade (not A as Trek52). I am a fair bit below where I was a couple years ago, but only recently got a PM, so not sure what my outputs were way back when. I spent most of the race hiding in the bunch. About 15 minutes from the end I got into what was probably the most dangerous break of the race that stayed out for about 2 laps around 44 average (lapping around 3:50 which is about 20s below Strava KOM pace), but we were reeled in as it was a quick race. Then went back to hiding for 10 minutes before the sprint. We had a team leadout planned, but we ended up a bit far back. I punched hard initially when my mate in front punched but then cruised on my team mates wheel over the last 100m or so (he had been lead out by another mate and was our chosen man and I did not want to take anyone else past him), so longer time numbers are lower than my max (got 5th behind team mate in 4th and the leadout man in 6th):

1s - 1300W
5s - 900W
10s - 750W
20s - 680W
30s - 610W

Interestingly, I find my average power and normalised power always to be a fair bit lower than other riders I follow and ride with who do similar effort. I am not sure if my power reads low at lower power (unlikely) or I am pretty aero, or an expert wheel sucker. I do make an effort to limit accelerations out of corners and try to maintain speed through corners and not brake much. Often this means I am coming out of corners quicker than others and remain seated as they stand to catch back onto the bunch:

Average power: 177W
20 min av: 194W
Normalised power: 217W

Always surprised how low those numbers are (I typically do average power 200-210W on a 2 hour solo ride), but I must be doing something right in conserving myself when hiding in the bunch. In the two laps in the break I did about 350W when I was on the front and about 220W when I was out of the wind. I think it started as a 6 rider break, and ended up me and one other and then bunch got us. I could not have maintained that power for the 15 minutes of racing left when it was down to two riders. Think I would have been OK with 1-2 more.

I am an average sprinter. I think the key difference between someone like me and Trek52 is the 10-30s power. He maintains the power for a long time where most peak pretty high and taper off quickly.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:04 am

raced HCC B gr. crit last night. a bit windy, but avg. speed of 39 km/h wasn't abnormally high. it felt hard as I've not done many of these lately. I hung on, focused on moving up as much as possible but mostly floated around mid-field in about 35-40 riders. it's hard on that course as the bunch slows a lot into the bottom corner, forcing you to accelerate up the hill from near-nothing while the leaders have carried some nice speed and float away. I just don't have the top-end yet - muscling my way towards the front tended to leave me breathless and I'd slip backwards on the climb. I was towards the rear of the bunch on the bell lap when someone ahead of me had a tumble on the final corner and caused a bit of a chain reaction. my poor form saved me - I was far enough behind to maneouvre around!

gistane

Postby gistane » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
jamescbdunn wrote:
After being on this forum for a few years now, and being around the bike races for decades, I can say without hesitation that there is not a person registered on this forum who could go anywhere near Matt (Trek52) in a sprint. If you think you could even hold the guys wheel you are kidding yourself. And hes well past his prime too I might add.
I bet you I could match him in a sprint and have on many occasions and have probably even beaten him sometimes. I was just too lazy to train before and just always raced and now only back on the bike 1 month after a back surgery and a few years off the bike. It will not be long until I am back in A grade and again trying to beat him in a sprint haha

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Tickets, please... tickets... hmmm sir your tickets appear to on you already...

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Popcorn anyone?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Race Report Thread not Race Result Speculation Thread I believe

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:06 am

I am going back to B grade and I will dominate.

*I may, or may not, post is intended for humour for a very small group that love putting crap on me :lol:

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 am

SKCC A-Grade Crit
30 of 47km (dnf), 47kph

Racing was hot and hard this week.

It took about 15mins for a break to establish, but when it did, it contained the majority of the usual contenders for the race. They weren't making too much ground, however, the whole pats veg team of 4 riders and, presumably their DS (apparently ex-Drapac DS), were summoned to the front by said DS and the team TT'd off the buch and into the break. At this point, the buch was losing motivation to chase and the break then had ~7-9 riders and over the next 5 mins, put about 20+sec onto us.

At about the 30min mark, my rear wheel was skipping through the final corner (not sure if tyre pressure was too high, or I had weight too far forward) just when a guy chopped in hard on me - almost causing a crash behind. I had a few choice words as I passed him again coming out of the corner, but my speed out of the corner to catch him, carried me to the front of the bunch just as an attack went. So I drilled it and followed. The bunch also followed and there was no gap opening, but at least the pace was up and we'd be pulling in the break! With two team mates seemingly content in the bunch, I figured I might as well spend some energy at the front helping to shut it down and give us a better opportunity to do something later.

I pulled a hard turn and no-one would come though, so ended up being on the front for 1/2 a lap at full throttle. After a number of elbow flicks, someone finally came through to help and I pulled back into 5th wheel. Half a lap later, I was already being flicked through again but I wasn't ready yet. I sat back and let one of the bikbug guys do a longer turn, but when he slowed and noone else came through, I came around him to keep the pace up. However, I could really only offer another 300-400m before flicking the elbow and pulling off.

As the bunch came past, I tried to wind up my speed a bit to jump in, but my legs wouldn't come to the party... the last rider sailed past without me being able to get on and I pulled the pin.

The gap to the break came down considerably during my effort and the subsequent efforts of a few, including my other team mates. It was just enough for a couple more riders to jump across to the break, but not for the bunch to make the catch! The gap then went out again to almost 20sec and looked solid.

The bunch did manage to get the break down to only 3-4sec by the finish line, but this was largely due to the foxing over the last 3 laps in the break.

In retrospect, I probably should have not have done the second turn when I wasn't up for it. That way, I could have done more later in the race and got more riding time at race pace. But hey, I found my limit and it was fun! :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm

nice report Cerb. if there's one lesson I've learned, and keep learning, it's to err on the side of caution when pulling turns. you think you're OK, but by the time you're done pulling you're not anymore and you can't grab the last wheel.

I had that a bit on Sat, not when pulling a turn, but bridging up to a break. my HR was bouncing off the rev limiter as I glued myself to the last wheel of about 5. a couple of guys looked at me to pull a turn but I had nothing and knew I needed at least 1/2 a lap to recover. other similarities to your race included the break including a current Drapac DS and my getting chopped up once or twice. similarities end with my race being 6km/h slower :shock:

filipw

Postby filipw » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Raced my club age championships last Friday. M5 – M6, all grades except A grade where well represented with quite some B graders. The race was called to be 35’ + 2 laps. One guy was the big favourite and everyone with a bit of a chance was eyeing him. Unfortunately the race was called short, before I felt the hostilities could begin in earnest, as it started to rain. The favourite didn’t get the win and neither did I.
37.4km/h avg

The road works at Koorangang Island are finished and this week-end racing could resume after a couple of months off. On Sunday I lined up with HVMCC to race D grade, 5 laps on beautiful, smooth bitumen. Every lap there were a couple of attacks but the bunch let no one go. A sprint finish it was. 37 something km/h avg. There is always next week Sunday, oh no, wait, it's Valentine's Day.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Jules - haha yep, all good lessons. It's interesting to hear about other's racing experience. Plenty of people around the traps with 10+ years of racing experience and it really shows against a relative noob like me who has only been racing for 4-5 years!

filip - Valentine's day is a day to be out with the love of your life!

...your bike needs some love and attention afterall!

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

3 repeats of a cat 3 hill at the weekend, 1 hour 50 mins race time.

Average 261w, weighted 294w, Garmin showed 304w NP.

I cracked last time up and had to ride tempo to the top losing 45 seconds or so.