Race Report Thread

fixedlegs2012

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Day two of the Roubaix Weekend

lined up today under a cloudy and slight chill to Bothwell Roubaix, 4 laps of a 11.8km loop with 6 km strada bianchi sector But no rain and the course this year was dry and dusty.

Up against an unknown MTBer and several others including Praties Cycling Team Jeremy Hills. The first lap was hot averaging 39kmhr catching B Grade in 3kms who had a minute on them at the start. The Roubaix Sector saw the grade split I was driving on the front and the unknown MTBer close on my wheel. The unknown MTBer starting the sprint into the headwind from along way and holding me off by a wheel.

The second lap the pace continued and the Unknown Mtber was riding hard on the front across the Roubaix Sector where wheels were dropped and gaps appeared. Again the unknown Mtber started the sprint from well out, me being attentive caught his wheel until 200m to go and came out, where Jeremy snuck up the inside for 3rd. The 3rd lap, on the Roubaix Sector and me 3rd on the road (something about thirds), hit a Unknown rock and punctured putting an end to his race. But grabbed a few vital points in the North - South - Middle Championship.

Avg Speed 37.1km/h
Max Speed 56.9km/h
Time 45mins 10 secs
Avg Power 314W
Max Power 1161w

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 am

Day One of Roubaix Weekend

60kms with 3 sections of 6km of strada bianchi including the famous Arenberg Hill. Pace was very high at the start. I couldn't pull a turn. I was dropped on Arenberg Hill 700m @4% of gravel. A good experience.

Distance 58.8km
Time 1:40:14
Avg Speed 35.2km/h
Max Speed 59.8km/h
Avg Watts 290W
Max Watts 1207w

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 am

raced out at Warragul yesterday. 24.2 km/h. managed 8th out of 23 finishers. eventful race, will write up more soon :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:58 am

ok, race report - Baw Baw Classic, 103km, 2900m vert, Masters C.

an eventful race - this is my favorite race of the year, even if it doesn't technically suit a big guy like me and I'm supposed to target flatter ones. but I love the epicness of it.

29 riders rolled out of Warragul. I'd spent the last 45 minutes fine-tuning my bike - the gears in particular, as I'd set it up with a 34x30(or something - MTB cassette, didn't count the teeth - yes I'm disorganised). finally got that sorted 10 mins. before the start so it was shifting smoothly and holding the bottom gear (relief!). the first 20km or so were a gentle cruise on flat roads. then, all of a sudden, the flat roads stop - never to be seen for the rest of the race. it's up and down - wash, rinse, repeat - for 3+ hours.

there was a lot of power climbing - 300m or so sharp climbs with 4-500w efforts. no big deal - hard, but too short to split the race. a few people went up the road, but never got out of sight. eventually we arrived at Neerim, about 40km in. there's a feed zone at the top of a long uphill drag. it was here that people started dropping wheels. i was too far back in the bunch and the leaders really kicked - punching through the feed zone. i didn't take anything - I had one friend with a bottle, but I didn't need it - but I was watching about 10 riders gap me. I jumped - putting down the power to try and catch. shortly after, about 1-2km, came my salvation - a fast descent. I was down on the top tube and descending like a mofo (for me, anyway - 87km/h max). I caught them at the bottom of the descent..

we were now approaching the 50km mark and towards Noojee - which meant Vespers Hill - 4.5km at 7%. from last year, I knew that this was the defining point of the race - it's here that the race splits into groups and your finishing position is defined by which group you join for the drag up to the base of Baw Baw. I can't hold the fast climbers on the steep pinches - so slowly I came slightly unhitched from the lead group. but then I noticed they weren't building the gap - I was holding them, at about 50-100m. last year I made the decision to hold back - there's another 45km to go and you can't spend all your biccies just yet - but I looked back and there was no one behind me. i was in no man's land - a short distance behind the leading group of about 7.

i decided to go into the red and catch them - all or nothing. i ramped the power up and buried myself - really spent it all. i didn't catch them by the top, but after a couple of short rollers there was a decent descent and again I went full gas with 2 others who'd dropped off and I'd caught. once again - I bridged back on - and I knew I now had the lead bunch to tow me to Baw Baw. one rider had escaped ahead solo - but I didn't care. I was on the limit and just wanted to hold the lead/chasing group.

for the next 20 km we rode tempo through the rolling hills, tight bends and downhill sections. towards the base of Baw Baw there's a sharp descent with tight corners. I'd recc'ied it a couple of weeks ago so had it fresh in my mind. the group was cruising down it, watching each other - nothing to gain by pushing the pace. so I jumped. I wasn't looking to escape properly, I knew my legs were almost done by now, just build a small buffer so I could relax for a couple of mins. until caught again. and maybe put some pressure on the others' descending skills :) 5 mins. later I was caught and onwards we went..

from here the road went gradually upwards, getting steeper until we reached Baw Baw itself - 6.4km at 11% - but some much steeper pinches. one guy in the bunch was wandering around a lot - I'd had him pinned and stayed away from his back wheel. suddenly a rider in front came down - slow speed, touch of wheels - but I was heading straight for him. i managed to pull it up and unclip. "how's the form on that guy!!?" i didn't see who it was but I could guess. i sympathised briefly, then took off after the leaders! I'd lost them, but then I always was going to as the road went upwards.

Baw Baw was brutal. i pinned it at 300w. then 250w - that's not too bad. then 220. soon enough I was down to a miserable 200w and dipping below - I was done. 3, 4 km/h. the climb is relentless - there are no flat sections. i was rapidly losing energy and willpower. did I have enough of a lead to protect my position? would I even make it to the top? 2 riders came past me - the guy who crashed, then another who is a mountain goat who'd caught me towards the top, from behind on the road - he was climbing like a mountain goat. towards the top my HR had dropped to 120, 115.. i was fading. I had only 1km of climbing, then 500m - and I just wanted it to finish. such a short distance felt like an eternity in my state of exhausted purgatory.

finally I reached the 1km flat section at the top of the climb to the finish line. i just rolled in - i was finished. someone yelled "he's coming up behind you!" and i turned to see another rider approaching. i actually had a debate in my head about whether i wanted to contest the finish. i ratcheted up the pace a bit. so did he. i accelerated a bit more.. he was still coming. we were both 50-100m from the line and finally i hooked a couple of gears and punched it - enough to hold him off by 50cm at most! i got 8th place, then collapsed on the floor in the cafe - exhausted and freezing, too tired to find my warm clothing..

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:54 am

Nice report Jules - congrats on another Baw Baw Classic! I can't believe you race that thing every year... I still can't bring myself to ride up that hill :)

Having a dinner plate on the back sounds like it was a good idea though.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:08 pm

+1^ Big effort and excellent race report :D

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Very cool. I have enough trouble cruising up it let alone racing...

I'd probably prepare with Terry's repeats to try to become inured to the "I just want it to finish" feeling :-)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Cool report Jules

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Great report Jules, well done on the result.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 am

thanks guys. i'm just a MAMIL who crawled up Baw Baw at walking pace, but I love the race as it feels like you're in an epic Tour de France mountain stage :)
cerb wrote:Nice report Jules - congrats on another Baw Baw Classic! I can't believe you race that thing every year... I still can't bring myself to ride up that hill :)
yeah well i can't fathom the idea of riding SKCC A grade, we all have our weaknesses, mine is long races :)

Karl I reckon you'd do OK at that race

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:23 am

Very nice Jules!

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:33 am

Great work Jules, and a great report. I'm local and never ridden that climb. I just would not make it. One of my mates was in your grade finishing an hour down. I've stood on a corner marshaling and watching you blokes go past a few times, but I'm happy to pack up and drive home afterwards.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:48 pm

You're getting the hang of it now, Jules. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:06 pm

A great race report Jules

BillR

Postby BillR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Inspired by Jules efforts, here I go......

It was the final of 3 races in the Eblen's points series at the Southern Vets, McLaren Flat south of Adelaide.
C grade had a small field of 8 riders this week.
First time up Moritz was a doddle as were the next 10km.
I got box in approaching the 1st sprint point and in the end, all I could do was watch.
Call it frustration, I decided to push up Moritz 2nd time round.
Got to the top and John was the only rider to follow.
After quite a bit of persuading along Schuller's John started taking turns.
We pushed for the next 10km and had the 2nd sprint to ourselves. I managed 3 points and John scored 2.
Everything came back together and heading into the next sprint I had second wheel.
Drew along side but had gone at least one gear too many and could not maintain cadence once out of the slip stream.
Infact, was pipped on the line and had to settle for 3rd.
There was a little cat and mouse after that sprint and Alistar made a move last time up Mortiz and the two us crested with a gap.
Pushed hard across Schuller's swapping out turns constantly.
Could see the group slowly catching with 2-3km to go and turned onto the finish straight with a 40-50 metre margin.
I cornered poorly and with 350 metres to go, the chase group caught us.
As they passed, I could see someone had left a gap between 3 and 4 which I was able to accelerate into.
The lead out rider went into the red zone and got swallowed up which meant I hung on and crossed the line 3rd.

The burning question, if I still had a sprint left, was I too easily caught?

cheers
Bill

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:13 pm

I think the question should be......did you ride smart enough! :idea:

Good result just the same, BillR. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

BillR

Postby BillR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:31 pm

The two who crossed the line in front are stronger sprinters.
Gambling on doing something different to have a chance of winning is not something I regret doing.
Coming so close does burn.

Cheers Foo.

Bill

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Cycling Victoria CX Series Round 1
Fields of Joy CX race 1

My first ever race on a bike.
Race goal: Finish

Arrived mighty early to ensure I could get my bike together, collect my number & transponder, undertake course reconnaissance etc. Rode the course 1.5 times, before I was unable to clip in due to the solid and sticky mud. By this time my tires had already become "slicks". Managed to clean out most of the crud from my shoes and get ready for the call up.
Race time rolls around and I find that I am in the second row of the grid - eeep! We get the briefing, I realise that I am in the wrong gear for starting and that there is no time to fix it before the gun goes. And we're off! I start marvellously, failing to clip in and then needing to shift up gears maniacally in order to bridge back to the front. I stick with the front riders, holding my own and taking lines where I can. Some go down in front of my and I dutifully avoid my fallen brethren but push on furiously.
The race proceeds *pretty* smoothly, I managed to keep sight of the front but watch the other riders getting further and further away. I have a few sections where I gain ground, but not many. I am riding well enough, staying upright and maintaining traction.
Then comes the runup. Oh god, that runup. A good 30m or so at up to 30%, chewed up mud and dirt. Unrideable for most mortals (The only exception to this on the day was Paul van der Ploeg - former MTB XC World Champion). I managed to make it up that blasted hill, but I think I lost placings in the effort.
Ride along to the berm section, followed by the rollercoaster/moguls. This is fun! I grind my way through another lap, get to the top of the runup, onto one of the most exposed parts of the course... and a blast of wind hits. HARD. This is followed by hail coming in sideways, hard enough that I have an untold number of marks all over my arms from them. The race is neutralised and I find that I am still somewhere in the top ten! We set off again once the hail subsides and there is plenty of jostling for position but I hold my lines for the most part. The rest of the race proceeds pretty well, except for my one and only fall *just* before the finish line (trying to ride up a hil which was rideable before but has now turned to slosh).

Fun was had by all!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Good stuff Nezumi :-)
I lined up today... 2nd try for the year after lasting about 10% of my first race a month ago.
Haven't done much riding in the last 2 weeks with work then gastro. So under no illusions of grandeur!. Small field of 40 or so.
Anyway I survived 72ish k's at about 40 av. I was in for the win with a km to go but the engine obviously needs a lot more work.
Happy to finish a race in the bunch!

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 pm

nezumi wrote:Cycling Victoria CX Series Round 1
Fields of Joy CX race 1

My first ever race on a bike.
Race goal: Finish
Nice ride! You picked a good first race - things can only get easier after that :wink:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Results are up - 18th out of 45 (plus 7 in the opens race running at the same time), and only 1 minute behind m@.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:22 am

A good crack by the both of you, TLL and Nez. [emoji106]

Foo
Goal 6000km

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm

nezumi wrote:Results are up - 18th out of 45 (plus 7 in the opens race running at the same time), and only 1 minute behind m@.
Good work. Was great fun racing in those conditions. I'm a bit dubious of the results though, I'd have had to be going backwards to be lapped within 2 laps after the restart.

Hopefully all races have these conditions! Maybe minus the hail though... It still looks like i have a skin disease.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 pm

BenGr wrote:
nezumi wrote:Results are up - 18th out of 45 (plus 7 in the opens race running at the same time), and only 1 minute behind m@.
Good work. Was great fun racing in those conditions. I'm a bit dubious of the results though, I'd have had to be going backwards to be lapped within 2 laps after the restart.

Hopefully all races have these conditions! Maybe minus the hail though... It still looks like I have a skin disease.
I agree - doesn't quite seem right, but it's close enough for me. Hard to handle it with the restart.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:58 am

I felt quite brave lining up to race today, not because of torrential rain and high winds... But because I am still over 100kgs and there is a hill :lol: . We were just about to catch the Cat1 group on the 3rd lap when I hit a good size stone on the goat track... Flat front and all over. Was feeling ok too!

Luckily I had a tube and bomb as I was a long way from the car!

Next weekend maybe!