Race Report Thread

rogan

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby rogan » Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 am

Row-D wrote:In response the the commentary on the D grade finish at Eastern Creek on Sunday, I was in the A grade bunch and am mates with the winner of D grade so I'll add my two cents worth.

I totally agree that A grade should have been over to the right of the straight allowing D grade a clear run at the finish line. However, with the size of the A grade bunch most of us had no idea D grade was on their finish lap. That said, as I saw it there was no drafting going on and towards the end there was a fair bit of shouting for A grade to get out of the way.

Finally, it is a bit unfair to label the D grade winner a burglar. He didn't rock up and put himself in D grade for this race. He has been in the grade for the entire season and before Sunday had won only one race. The Waratahs (like most clubs) have a system in place to promote riders up to the next grade when they are ready and that does not kick in after a single win.
Agree with this, and mike's earlier comment. What is banned is drafting off another grade. Taking advantage of a split caused by the proximity of another grade on the last lap is not (to my mind) cheating, as long as you don't draft off the other grade. As previously stated I wasn't there and like others I will look out with interest for this footage.

And Waratahs system for tracking burglars is better than most - at races run by other clubs (at least till they get to know you) you can usually rock up and tell them which grade you will ride. At Waratahs, the first time you turn up they ask where else you race and what grade. They then put you up a grade from whatever you race at (in my case) Beaumont.
Last edited by rogan on Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:55 am

Rogan, the winner of D grade has raced with the vets 6 times this year, and pulled two first's and a second. This is clearly published on the vets website.

I do agree that the Vets do it better than most in regards to keeping an eye on what grade regulars ride with them. There are the occasional few that slip through but generally, they lead the way. It is a shame that more don't go to as much effort as they do.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Well done toppity, trek52 and Sydguy, top results.

I wouldn't be offering any apologies for what happened Sydguy, it got a bit messy sure but that's not your fault and that's why they say "ride near the front". In your case you were on the front going hard on the final lap, you couldn't have predicted what A grade were going to do and you can be sure that had you had of sat up plenty of riders would've come through. Some guys hide and never see the front until the final sprint, they don't apologize for winning that way so they shouldn't complain when things get messy and they're caught out of position. You worked, if there's gonna be some luck I'm happy to see it go to someone who's been on the front working. To call you a cheat because you kept riding is a bit much IMHO.
Last edited by Chuck on Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FPR Ragamuffin

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 pm

As long as you don't take advantage of the grade then it's o.k. Only the riders involved really know what happened. Messy finishes happen all the time as a result of grades getting bigger. It's not good but it's part of the game. Ride at the front and you have less chance of being caught out.

As far as grading is concerned, you ride where you are put. The only other things that go with that are -
1) If it's your first race then be realistic about where you should start.
2) If you are winning more than your fair shair in a grade and slipping through the cracks then nominate to go up.

There are no sheep stations out there. Race to win, but try to stay upright. We all have to go back to the real world after the race.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 pm

scotto wrote:
tiz1974 wrote: i think the winner may well have been a burglar , or trained very hard for this race !! either way he wont be seen in B grade in the near future !
a quick google reveals the winner to be a certain ben larsen, possibly the proprieter of a mona vale cycling shop, an international triathlete, the designer of azzuri frames, and most likely , a burgular...
oops.. to clarify, this was about the b grade race (where the winner took off from lap 1, and baically averaged over 41km/h alone for 40 kms.....) not the d grade...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 am

Stage 4, Yup dropped on the first climb, first 20kms had close to 50kmph average then we hit a 2.5km climb averaging 6.4%, climbed for 8 minutes at over 1200 VAM (got to be a record for me!)...fought back on into the wind...hung with the big boys for next 50kms even though we climbed 800 meters. But on the 5th big climbed the hammer came down and it blew to bits. I was also out of fluids... and WAY under estimated how far to go. Team leader had said we only passed through the finish area 3 times so I thought next time it was all over. But as I have no speedo on my bars, only iPhone in my pocket I totally stuffed up the parcours. At the top of the climb I thought we would turn left off the ridge and race to the finish... we turned right :oops: and first thing I saw was warning sign saying next two kms descent was at 18%!. Went down like an idiot... back through the cars and onto a samller bunch. But then we started a 6km climb at 5%... doh forgot about that :lol: . Got dropped again... but kept a steady pace and came back thorough the bunch and out the front. Hit the top and hammered the next 5 or so k's and descended like an idiot again dropping everyone ( in heavy rain by now )... crossed the finish line thinking it looked a bit quiet. Rolled a few hundred meters when the bunch I had dropped came through at full speed... Say What!... still had another 10km's to go. So I sat in the bunch... cruised up the climb and back into the finish for the 5th time!!!. Finally over. Not sure of the results but a lot better than yesterdays. A lot were pulled from the course for been over 20 minutes behind the leaders on the last loop.
There wern't many riders within 10kgs of my weight in the last hour or more :lol: ... time to get back on that diet!!!.
Great 3 days...apart from team car going past with 10kms to go and not giving me a bidon :| .

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 am

Good report TLL. How did the back handle the three days ?
FPR Ragamuffin

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 am

Nice one TLL. Seems like it needed to be a longer stage race, you were just riding yourself into form.

Team car was thinking about not contributing to your extra 10kg when not passing you that extra bidon :wink:

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 am

Nice work TLL. It sounds tough, put very pro.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

My back ( or I should say more my hips ) handled the last stage best of all even though it was the toughest. I had very little sleep the night before due to the dozens of mozzies in my room :-( so I was a bit worried. But I was most worried how I would pull up after the TTT as I have been big hip issues ... So all in all good :-) .
The set up was very well organized... Podium truck, hot podium girl, yellow, green and polka dot jerseys plus a red for best vet and white for under 23.
Rolling road blockages with dozens of motos etc... Even some of the teams are very well organized with proper sponsors cars etc.
But the level was probably a bit high for our team... Not sure if we will go next year.
Riding myself into form?... Hope so... Flattish departmental champs on Sunday ... And I can ride to win this one!.

gistane

Postby gistane » Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 pm

In regards to the racing at ECR. The way the racing is down the straight with the amount of riders this can be a very common issue. I am not sure why the Waratah Vets do not adopt the same sort of racing on the circuit like the races at the Eastern Creek Dragway where you need to ride over to the right hand side of the straight unless its your sprint lap where you can sprint down the left. Easy solution that would solve the problems on a circuit that is wide enough to allow it.

If needed get some witches hats setup down the circuit. Would make their life alot easier to judge a sprint and the riders life alot easier to get a clear sprint

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Thats a good solution. In practice I feel it would mean actually getting a grade seperation during the last turn as a solution that may have helped minimise the problems during the finish. I am guessing that the logistics and also safety considerations would play a part against the idea of witches hats, though still like the idea.

Enforcing this could be a challenge, though a safety officer at the last corner could get vocal to instruct grades coming around.
Cycling is in my BNA

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri May 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Be sure to post a Youtube link of the whole race.

If your the guy who yelled "do some f'ing work man" at me thanks again for the motivation.

Cheers
JM

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 11, 2012 10:57 pm

That definately wasn't me (best to read up through the thread). I was the guy in the BNA jersey who chatted with you after the race and told you not to worry about it (and get the feeling that it may have been one or few cyclists who reacted this way, though didn't see / hear it myself.)

I had a handlebar mounted camera (not helmet) though the quality suffered badly because of condensation.
Cycling is in my BNA

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah Chris no worries - nothing aimed at you.

I'll introduce myself next time too.

Still looking for someone to ride to Lansdownde from SOP on Sunday.

JM

trek52

Postby trek52 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 am

Sydguy dont worry about it mate. I was in a grade saw what happened and i know u guys didnt cheat !!!
Say hi next time. I ride a cx1 with lightweights in black and blue kit :)

Race at penrith tomorrow 80km 8 am start. Landsdown is a crap place to rCe.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 pm

BNE
Raced at Lakeside this morning, in C2. My first race there since rib fractures. THere's a significant hill (and a couple of others) that keeps everyone honest.
My goal was to stay in touch with the lead pack, not get dropped on the hill, and not worry about contesting the sprint. I achieved that, and spent 80% of the race not drafting. There was no wind at all, and I needed to build speed on the descents and before the hills as I am a slower on them; hence why I didn't bother drafting all the time. Instead I hung to the outside.

I had a pretty comfortable race. The front got away from me in the last 500 metres, as I'd blown trying to keep the pace up since the 2nd last lap.
Anyway, I think my strength endurance training is paying off. 5 kg's lighter and I should have the acceleration to contest the sprint, despite a couple of B grade riders in our grade....and a new set of 1350g 50mm carbon clincher wheels should be an improvement over my 1920g Bontrager alloys. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Good one Pawpaw, you can only get better now! :wink:

I will get out there one day to watch and let you now, so we can put a face to the names, if you're comfortable with that! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Good you are getting some form back PawPaw.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Heffron C-grade

Haven't raced Heffron in a month or so, fairly big bunch in C-grade this time but not a huge amount of wind. Average speed was quite high at a bit over 38 kph, spent a lot of the time towards the back of the back because I wasn't willing to risk my neck doing some of the dodgy passes around corners I saw some other people pulling. I don't know what's caused it but I seem to be getting more cautious with my racing, makes it hard at Heffron because there's so little room to pass most of the track if you're not willing to take risks.

B-grade passed us with a lap to go but then slowed a bit so when the bell rung we were stuck trying to pass B on our final lap. I got stuck in amongst some B-grade people while some C riders passed around the outside (which I thought was very risky but there weren't any crashes so I suppose we were all lucky) but the end result was the bunch got well split from having to pass B. I came home fast about 4th in the second bunch of riders but the front group managed to build a few hundred meters of gap just by getting around B-grade first. Frustrating but it wasn't my race today anyway and I need the exercise.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat May 12, 2012 6:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I will get out there one day to watch and let you now, so we can put a face to the names, if you're comfortable with that! :idea:

Foo
Thanks Foo. After my crash, I'd thought it was irrational to keep racing at my age (52). But HPRW has split C grade into C1 and C2, and the Nundah fields are now smaller/safer. I presume you live near Bribie? (Sanstone Pt?). You're always welcome to come ride with our group, then talk bike sh1te over coffee. I have gathered you've been racing off and on for many decades. Tomorrow's 6am'er. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/91569949

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sat May 12, 2012 7:03 pm

St George handicap, Oatley Park. 12 May

I got spanked! All in the cause of learning I suppose.

This was my first crack at both the location and a handicap race (except the Heffron Park summer series graded crits, which are quite different). For those who don't know the spot, it has one long descent and climb, and then two rollers before doing it all over again. Nothing flat at all.

I'd guess there were between 30 and 40 riders all up. I was put in about the 4th or 5th group away. 4 of us. By the time we started, the first group had already lapped the field, passing by the rest of us as we awaited starter's orders from Phil. I found the first couple of laps hard but (just) within my capacity, admittedly not doing a turn until the 3rd lap, as we went down and then started back up the big hill. As we climbed, a faster bunch caught us and we settled in with them, but I couldn't hold it near the top, so I lost my 3 companions and watched them ride away with the rest of the bunch.

I did a lap or so with them still in sight, but it's a hard slog by yourself. The thought occurred that perhaps it would not be too dishonourable to just pull out, but I pushed it away and soldiered on. I didn't get any company except briefly, and did the rest essentially by myself. I was reasonably happy with the effort overall, as I held a steady average until the last lap, when it fell away a little. Even then, I passed a few riders towards the end, although I'm not sure how hard they were putting in at that stage, with the winning bunch long out of sight. I also thought I saw at least one rider who'd bailed early.

The main lesson from today - spin more up the big hill, rather than hammer a big gear. I'm glad I went and I think I'll go back for more. It's an excellent, closed circuit, and hard racing.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Unfortunatly PawPaw I have not raced for about 28yrs :( due to my job as a truckie (dumb move) but have always kept my love of the sport alive in my mind and am only too willing to give support via ideas on how to approach it, where possible. :)

Some of my mates sons are or were racing at the high level (Aus/Qld institute of sports) so I still had a very good reason, to keep interested.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 12, 2012 7:21 pm

MREJ wrote:St George handicap, Oatley Park. 12 May

I got spanked! All in the cause of learning I suppose.

I did a lap or so with them still in sight, but it's a hard slog by yourself. The thought occurred that perhaps it would not be too dishonourable to just pull out, but I pushed it away and soldiered on. I didn't get any company except briefly, and did the rest essentially by myself.

The main lesson from today - spin more up the big hill, rather than hammer a big gear. I'm glad I went and I think I'll go back for more. It's an excellent, closed circuit, and hard racing.
We all get/got spanked at some point MREJ, so aint no embarrassment there! The second paragraph, shows the right approach. The third shows, you're learning quick. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Oatley Park brings back a few memories... I raced down there with Mike about 4 or 5 years ago when I was a fat unfit porker ( little has changed ) ... tough little circuit but fun all the same!.