Race Report Thread

zill

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby zill » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:32 pm

kb wrote:For any age?
Let's say to be conservative, healthy 20 to 50 year old males.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 pm

zill wrote:
Xplora wrote:Be very careful chasing weight loss, the skeletal Froome has a doctor monitoring him constantly and quite frankly he looks like an anorexic Kate Moss.
I'm only recommending 6-7% body fat.
That's getting close to the extreme end of the recommended range for even elite athletes.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Xplora wrote:(says me eating Nutella for breakfast)

I don't know anyone can eat that stuff, let alone for breakfast. You have a cast iron guts :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

kb

Postby kb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm

zill wrote:
kb wrote:For any age?
Let's say to be conservative, healthy 20 to 50 year old males.
Just had a play with a few different calculators. Obviously, estimates are going to be all over the place, but it looks like I'm somewhere between 18% and 25%. On the plus side, lots of gains to be had :-)

zill

Postby zill » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm

biker jk wrote:
zill wrote:
Xplora wrote:Be very careful chasing weight loss, the skeletal Froome has a doctor monitoring him constantly and quite frankly he looks like an anorexic Kate Moss.
I'm only recommending 6-7% body fat.
That's getting close to the extreme end of the recommended range for even elite athletes.
Most likely not for elite road cyclists. The 4% has been quoted for road cyclists but I think the pointy end is even less. Even some NRS cyclists I've heard are a little under 4% fat.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:42 pm

zill wrote:
Most likely not for elite road cyclists. The 4% has been quoted for road cyclists but I think the pointy end is even less. Even some NRS cyclists I've heard are a little under 4% fat.
Aye? Current, living cyclists? 4%? Really?

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 pm

I did Mansfield as well over the weekend. Got hammered in the TT (I just took my road bike) and flatted 1km into the second stage while we were still under control. Bugger! I was mainly there for the final race up the mountain though, and had a funny race.

Everyone was sitting in, bunch cruising along at 30km/h like a sunday ride from the start. I was getting bored and had fresher legs than everyone else so attacked on a short hill just 10km from the start. Nobody followed me. I sat off about 30 seconds up the road, maintaining pace with the bunch, hoping a few would bridge over and we could go away. I knew it would be too hard to go solo from there. One guy eventually came across and we gassed it for about 10 minutes before he blew up and I was alone again. I reckon I had about 1 minute on the bunch at this point, so I thought "buggerit" and just went for it. Stayed away solo to the base of the climb, then pegged it a bit above threshold for 25 minutes up the hill. It was weird riding in a a race with nobody else around except me and the lead car.

With about 3km to go, the sustained pace was starting to take its toll and I was fading, then eventually with 2km to go a group of three riders from my group got me. I had nothing left, they passed me and I finished 4th about 1:20 behind the winner. I was off the front pretty much the whole race, probably about 1 hour and 30 minutes basically - I don't think the other guys in the bunch thought I'd be able to hold them off all the way to the base of the climb but they were wrong. If I'd had a bit more juice in the tank and kept it up to my regular climbing wattage, I would have finished a lot stronger but it was not to be. Good race though!

Downloading the power meter data shows I managed to hold an average of 270 watts for 1 hour and 30 minutes, my FTP is only about 285 or 290 so I think I gave it everything. I did the first 25 minutes of the climb at my regular "high pace" climbing wattage of around 300-315 watts but faded badly by the end as fatigue set in. FWIW I weigh 61.5kg. The buggers who caught me looked like they were about 16 years old, to rub salt into the wound!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 pm

that's an awesome effort Neill. one to tell the grandkids!

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Oh I forgot to mention this was C grade Elite. So frustrating not to be on the podium!!!!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 pm

zill wrote:Most likely not for elite road cyclists. The 4% has been quoted for road cyclists but I think the pointy end is even less. Even some NRS cyclists I've heard are a little under 4% fat.
Given essential body fat is said to be 3-5%, I'd suggest you are misinformed.

Seriously doing yourself harm obsessing about weight like this, especially knowing your previous weight issues, binge eating and odd diet considerations...

Back on topic - Great work NeillS! :D

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:43 am

Well done Neill! Staying off the front solo for that long in ANY race is a good effort. In THAT race, it's even more impressive!

Agree on fat %... Most normal people start to get sick a lot if they dip far below 8-10% body fat. Below that you really need a full time nutritionist, cook and doctor looking after you and to live inside a sickness free bubble in order to stay healthy.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 am

dalai47 wrote:
zill wrote:Most likely not for elite road cyclists. The 4% has been quoted for road cyclists but I think the pointy end is even less. Even some NRS cyclists I've heard are a little under 4% fat.
Given essential body fat is said to be 3-5%, I'd suggest you are misinformed.

Seriously doing yourself harm obsessing about weight like this, especially knowing your previous weight issues, binge eating and odd diet considerations...

Back on topic - Great work NeillS! :D
Probably under 4% for a day or less after a huge ride. Everyone has told me though that it is not possible to maintain 4% throughout the year.

My current body fat percentage is 8-9%. Not trying hard to lower it at the moment. Just focusing on getting rid of my bad eating habits. Once the bad habits are gone, then will try to go even lower.

That is a really good effort Neil. You have tempted me to try out road racing!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 am

filed under 'why do we bother?' - brendan canty, winner A grade Tour of Mansfield, got stuck in 53/14 at HCC A gr crits last night. this course has a tight corner leading into a hill so I would normally start with 53x21 or 19 and gradually shift up as I built speed. you typically need to slow down as there is traffic congestion in the tight corner. he got 2nd :shock:

also I got schooled by Amy Bradley in C grade. she be fast!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

NeillS wrote:I did Mansfield as well over the weekend. Got hammered in the TT (I just took my road bike) and flatted 1km into the second stage while we were still under control. Bugger! I was mainly there for the final race up the mountain though, and had a funny race.

Everyone was sitting in, bunch cruising along at 30km/h like a sunday ride from the start. I was getting bored and had fresher legs than everyone else so attacked on a short hill just 10km from the start. Nobody followed me. I sat off about 30 seconds up the road, maintaining pace with the bunch, hoping a few would bridge over and we could go away. I knew it would be too hard to go solo from there. One guy eventually came across and we gassed it for about 10 minutes before he blew up and I was alone again. I reckon I had about 1 minute on the bunch at this point, so I thought "buggerit" and just went for it. Stayed away solo to the base of the climb, then pegged it a bit above threshold for 25 minutes up the hill. It was weird riding in a a race with nobody else around except me and the lead car.

With about 3km to go, the sustained pace was starting to take its toll and I was fading, then eventually with 2km to go a group of three riders from my group got me. I had nothing left, they passed me and I finished 4th about 1:20 behind the winner. I was off the front pretty much the whole race, probably about 1 hour and 30 minutes basically - I don't think the other guys in the bunch thought I'd be able to hold them off all the way to the base of the climb but they were wrong. If I'd had a bit more juice in the tank and kept it up to my regular climbing wattage, I would have finished a lot stronger but it was not to be. Good race though!

Downloading the power meter data shows I managed to hold an average of 270 watts for 1 hour and 30 minutes, my FTP is only about 285 or 290 so I think I gave it everything. I did the first 25 minutes of the climb at my regular "high pace" climbing wattage of around 300-315 watts but faded badly by the end as fatigue set in. FWIW I weigh 61.5kg. The buggers who caught me looked like they were about 16 years old, to rub salt into the wound!
Nice, you learn allot about your abilities in scenarios like that.

TcrNick

Postby TcrNick » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 pm

NeillS wrote:I did Mansfield as well over the weekend. Got hammered in the TT (I just took my road bike) and flatted 1km into the second stage while we were still under control. Bugger! I was mainly there for the final race up the mountain though, and had a funny race....
Well done on the stage Neill. I was sitting behind you when your tyre blew during stage 2, damn unlucky!

During stage 3 while you were out solo, we were told that the guy out front DNFd the stage before. Awesome stuff on stage 3 though. I was dropped 4km up Buller, but wasn't expecting much as I'm not suited for long climbs.

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 am

Ah, I was wondering if the commissaire had sold me out! I'm under no illusions that the pack was chasing hard, there's no way I would have lasted long if they'd decided to pull me in with a concerted effort. Although sometimes all the guys vying for GC place just look at each other and nobody chases, especially when you're out of their sight on windy roads and the group thinks they're only 30 seconds behind.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am

NeillS wrote:Ah, I was wondering if the commissaire had sold me out! I'm under no illusions that the pack was chasing hard, there's no way I would have lasted long if they'd decided to pull me in with a concerted effort. Although sometimes all the guys vying for GC place just look at each other and nobody chases, especially when you're out of their sight on windy roads and the group thinks they're only 30 seconds behind.
on the Buller stage, i suppose no one wants to do too much work on the front as they need to save their legs for the climb.

rheicel

Race Report Thread

Postby rheicel » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 pm

I did Colnago Cup Today at Eastern Creek Raceway. I entered in D grade but was moved up to C grade. I am a bit disappointed but cant really complain.

I was in the front on most of the laps. The mid sprint was a bit of disappointment as I attacked too early and the bunch managed to catch me

I really felt that I am a newbie as each time there is an attack, i always chase it with the whole bunch behind me, lol.

With 2 laps to go, most of the riders started chasing to be in front of the group. This leads to sudden increase in pace. One lap to go, I am still in a good position, managed to stay in the front. The disappointment came as soon as we hit the last bend to the finish line. It is always easier said than done, I guess. Before I even think of sprinting, there seems to be a wall of riders in front of me. There is no where to go but to watch them cross the finish line :(

Overall, the experience was enjoyable. I should have just used what is left on my legs before the last turn, lol. Will certainly try again when I have a chance.
Last edited by rheicel on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 pm

rheicel wrote:I did Colnago Cup Today at Eastern Creek Raceway. I entered in D grade but was moved up to C grade. I am a bit disappointed but cant really complain.

I was in the front on most of the laps. The mid sprint was a bit of disappointment as I attacked too early and the bunch managed to catch me

I really felt that I am a newbie as each time there is an attack, i always chase it with the whole bunch behind me, lol.

With 2 laps to go, most of the riders started chasing to be in front of the group. This leads to sudden increase in pace. One lap to go, I am still in a good position, managed to stay in the front. The disappointment came as soon as we hit the last bend to the finish line. It is always easier said than done, I guess. Before I even think of sprinting, there seems to be a wall of riders in front of me. There is no way to go but to watch them cross the finish line :(

Overall, the experience was enjoyable. I should have just used what is left on my legs before the last turn, lol. Will certainly try again when I have a chance.
They will get used to you doing this and wait for you to do it, if you don't change. :idea:

Get yourself to second or third wheel here. :wink:

This is what counts and should be at the forefront of your riding! :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Well done, Rheicel. You got moved up based on the BMI restrictions for D grade :) There's nothing quite like being at the head of the bunch one second and being 30 riders back the next. Within no time you'll be cursing wheel suckers and yelling at everyone to hold their bloody lines.

Now you've got a taste for it, hit http://cabici.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:01 am

Not a race report... Rode to the race, did one lap recon, strong wind is awesome but the hill I would get drop first lap for sure.
So sitting here watching first lap then heading home... Legs still have nothing in them!
#slackarse !

Edit: good choice in the end as it totally exploded with in less than one lap ( 6km of 89 ).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 am

From the sounds of it, TLL you need to re-think how you do you riding or have some blood tests to suss out any deficiencies or over loads in da blood. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:08 am

foo on patrol wrote:This is what counts and should be at the forefront of your riding! :)

Foo
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Well done, Rheicel.
Thanks guys. Need to train harder, lol

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 am

Here's the C Grade Finish

http://youtu.be/CvCjhvbhHXk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:58 am

I was around the officials on the finish line for Rheicel's race. 300+ riders mainly in A and B. Huuuuge packs.

I thought the decisive moment was Rheicel, his team mate and an NWSCC rider in a break before the prime? Really had to dig deep at that point because the bunch would have struggled. Unsure your mate had the legs though. Being up front doesn't really help unless you are happy setting up someone's sprint. You only have one big attack and a few laps in a race like that.