Race Report Thread

philip

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby philip » Sat May 19, 2012 6:28 pm

CCCC road race at Calga this afternoon - a bunch of us from NSCC went up, we had 6 in A grade. Myself and one other broke away about 5kms in and then another team mate bridged and joined us. So we TTT'd it to the finish for 1st/2nd/3rd. Another club mate took out 4th as well. :D

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 pm

philip wrote:CCCC road race at Calga this afternoon - a bunch of us from NSCC went up, we had 6 in A grade. Myself and one other broke away about 5kms in and then another team mate bridged and joined us. So we TTT'd it to the finish for 1st/2nd/3rd. Another club mate took out 4th as well. :D
So were you 1st, 2nd or 3rd :?: :wink:
Did they let you take the honors!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat May 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Peel District Cycling Club Serpentine E grade report

A few less than a fortnight ago, the two regular juniors Kyle & Connor, me, Scott who had his 1st and only race here 4 weeks ago, a guy with a C grade number and "I here to support my friend" excuse, his friend riding her 1st race, another new rider on her Cervelo R3 SL and another regular who rocked up late looking like he had already raced today.

Kyle lead round the first corner and attacked, I was getting onto his wheel expecting, him, me and Connor to ride away, but I dropped my chain. My fault I changed cranksets earlier in the week and had problems tuning the front derailleur, had to make some fast adjustments after warm up ride, which were not good. As I dropped the chain a couple more times in the race and was very unwilling to use my front derailleur.

The rest of the group caught up and it became a very disorganised group. Nobody wanted to roll through, Kyle would surge to the front and slow down. So after a couple of kms I went to the front and stayed there for the rest of the 9km lap, treating it like a fast commute to work, Unfortunately my HR end up hitting 140 and I need it below 130 so I slowed before we cross the start finish line, but nobody would roll through, until the next corner. The damage was done on the fastest lap of the race, the lady riding her 1st race and the latecomer were off the back.

The next 3 laps, was surge, slow down, nobody wanting to roll through, repeat, the only respite was when I or the lady on the Cervelo, would sit on the front for a couple kms each lap. However, we where both at the back, when on the 3rd lap Kyle and Mr C grade surged out of a corner and got a small gap, and I had to work hard to close it down.

Lesson learnt, I was first into the last corner 5km from the end, took it with decent speed and drove out, not wanting to attack but keep the pace high so nobody else did. Slowed when we were caught by B grade, only Scott wanted to roll through and he was knackered at this stage, so I started picking up the pace. About 500m from the finish the sprint came Kyle, followed by Mr C grade, Cervelo lady and Connor, I got past Connor, I was catching Cervelo Lady who was catching a tiring Mr C grade, however, that was how we finished.

Still need to ride smarter and not be so aggressive.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 20, 2012 4:36 pm

19/5/12 Nundah Dome C grade points crit.

Lots of talk and training finally come to fruition yesterday. I'm 8kg and 3-6mths off being a competitive sprinter (current top speed of 52kph), but can sustain high 40s for 30-40 secs in a race.

The race pace started off fairly keen, and I decided I'd only contest lap points if the laps were on the slower side, but would help mates.
For the first 5 laps, I did a bit of work on the front reeling in a couple of breaks then needed a spell on the back after redlining. When I recovered, I decided to have a go at a few lap points, but still didn't have the unprotected kick up the outside into a 17kph headwind.

Well, one mate in particular has a better sprint. So down the back of the pack I had a bit of a chat about moving up the outside together. We gave it a shot from the last bend 400 metres to the finish. I had a clear outside run and held 48 to the finish. He yelled at me to go go go, but I couldn't go faster, so he jumped when he saw others getting too close and he got the lap. We did the same thing a couple more times successfully. We were about to go again when the 2 lap sign went out. So we decided to hold off till the last lap and sat it out down the back. Into the last lap I told him to jump on, then through the back S's, said get ready, then entering the final bend I wound it up very quickly from pack speed of 38 to 48. I did this to take advantage of being on the leeward side of the pack as we came around the bend and into the straight. The pack stayed to the inside and I swept wide to the left and had clear track and about 2.5 metres width from the pack leaders when we went passed. Well the pack leaders were focusing on each other, and it was beaaauuutifulllll......We had a speed differential of around 8-10kph and that 2.5 metres gave us an excellent advantage. I hammered it as hard as I could and maintained 48 into that 15+kph wind until 50 metres short of the line. My mate jumped around 60 metres from the end and took off. Two guys had managed to cross and get on us. One was a 36yo (B grader 6mths prior) and he passed my mate about 10 metres from the finish to win. THe other guy didn't have anything left after crossing to us. I didn't place as I died in the last 40 metres, but I was estatic our teamwork yielded results for the first time. My mate got 3rd place on points and 2nd line honors. He couldn't believe how easily we'd outfoxed the others. He also kept saying how effortless it was to draft behind me. Finally, this team mate understood everything I've been saying for 6 mths. Weaker riders who work together can beat stronger riders who don't. We've been training to do breaks but we're still not strong enough to break and hold in my view. So this was the next best thing. No place for me, but I felt like a winner having been a good lead out.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Well done pawpaw, sometimes hard not to think only of ones self but teamwork pays off, especially when thie kitty is split.
Cycling is in my BNA

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Yes AU, I appreciated the two free flat whites... :)

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 am

Nice work PawPaw - great report, and a terrific result!!

Have been looking forwar to egtting a chance to try one of the HPRW 'points races', sounds like a great 'alternative/change' from the usual crit. Have you found them to be harder than normal crits? Or just 'different'?

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

philip

Postby philip » Mon May 21, 2012 10:25 am

ni78ck wrote:
philip wrote:CCCC road race at Calga this afternoon - a bunch of us from NSCC went up, we had 6 in A grade. Myself and one other broke away about 5kms in and then another team mate bridged and joined us. So we TTT'd it to the finish for 1st/2nd/3rd. Another club mate took out 4th as well. :D
So were you 1st, 2nd or 3rd :?: :wink:
Did they let you take the honors!
haha well we actually all crossed the line together, not really sure who got 1/2/3. I'll take 3rd though, the other 2 guys are stronger than me and did a bit more work.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Abby wrote:Nice work PawPaw - great report, and a terrific result!!

Have been looking forwar to egtting a chance to try one of the HPRW 'points races', sounds like a great 'alternative/change' from the usual crit. Have you found them to be harder than normal crits? Or just 'different'?

Cheers,
Abby
Abby, they are harder in that there's more cat and mousing, and attacks. The average speed was 38.5kph (with headwind in straight), a little lower than the usual 40-41. Some of the recovery speeds got down to 33kph.

Nevertheless, I think the race ends up being fairer, because it doesn't play into the hands of sprinters who do nothing for 40 minutes before doing their 20 second thing.

If you want another interesting challenge, this Sat is Lakeside anti-clockwise, so the big hill will be even bigger. Should play out into the hands of lighter riders; and heavier guys are going to have to build speed in the straight. Will be even more interesting if there's wind.

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Sounds like a good variation at Lakeside - but I'll be savig my legs for the Metro Champs road race on Sunday... :D
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat May 26, 2012 1:31 pm

BNE 26/5/12 Lakeside Crit C2

Well, 11-12C this morning with a 15-20kph colder SW'erly coming across Lake Kurwongbah.
Smaller fields. The pace was conservative today as we were riding anti-clockwise opposite to usual.
It felt like a different course, and everyone commented on teh great views over the lake.
Everyone thought the hill would be worse, but it wasn't as steep and challenging as I had imagined.
My two team buddies were no shows, but I wasn't too worried as I though the hillier course would make teaming our different strengths and weaknesses a lot harder.
Anyway, my one strategy was to not get dropped on the hill, so towards the end of the straight, I'd move to the front of the field using momentum up the hill, then drift back on the climb. This was going well until I was recovering from a testing the field, and the Comms brought forward the last lap. That dropped me about 15 metres by the top of the last climb as the pack sped up, and I never got back on before the finish line, though I was gaining in the straight as I held 51kph.

Turns out some officious wnkr from the motor sport meeting came over and got in the COmm's ear about ending the cycle racing early so they could start their session earlier. The Comm caved in and called last lap for all groups early. It was totally out of line for that wnkr to front up and ask us to get off early. Our club had booked and paid for the track use, and even after we cleared it, no cars were on it in the 30 minutes we were having presentations.

Anyway, I was happy my stamina and strength are still improving, and as my body fat drops from 19% to 10%, I'll be getting more aggressive in climbs and sprints. I rode on my new 50mm carbon clinchers, and noted the buffeting by the 20% yawed head wind. Nevertheless, downwind in the straight and up the hill, the wheels felt the full 650grams lighter than my last set. Of todays' riders, I was the heaviest, and possibly with the highest body fat, so I'm looking forward to getting the weight down as well as building strength.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 pm

If they have paid for the the track time between x&y times PawPaw, then unless, this official was willing to give a rebate for the unused time, the finger should have been given! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Agree Foo. I'll try and find out more detail. I think the Lakeside managers think they are doing us a favor by letting be there at all. But a deal is a deal.
Even though our race turnout was smaller due to cold weather, there was probably still over 100 riders....and there wasn't a hundred race cars.
From what was said, I get the impression some dumb a$$ with an inflated ego thought he/she would try it on....and our comms probably didn't want to create waves. Lakeside mgt have cancelled access at the last moment for the most dubious of reasons in my view (cycle meet car traffic would spread mud on access roads or some such rot).

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 27, 2012 1:45 am

Rode pretty hard yesterday... but I thought today would not be too hard...WRONG.
I hate the heat... OK it is only 28 today but that is hot for me..at least it was windy!. 70 starters for 82km race. Dangerous circuit... really hard to move up as it is a narrow bumpy single lane farm road for 6 of the 8km's. Anyway I chased down a few breaks and drunk and ate ( still lost 2kgs in 2 hours drinking 1200mls! )... tried the break it up a bit but it was too windy / hilly and I wasn't 100%.
Was in the top 10 for the bell lap with 8km's to go but there was lots of bumping and elbowing and I dropped back a bit after a couple of off road excursions... wanted to lead out a team mate who finished 4th but just couldn't get back up to the front and to be honest I am not that motivated to put myself in danger with less than a month till I leave for the TDF. Finished around 25th... 82km's at 37average... hardest local race I have had in a while.
Good training :D .

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sun May 27, 2012 8:47 am

Hey this a question for anyone at oakville yesterday. Who was the dude taking photos on the last corner every lap?
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sun May 27, 2012 1:39 pm

James mate...have a look on the Parra facebook page in a cpl days...you might see yourself there :-)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Some frog club racing pics... ( I am the tank ).

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Porridgewog wrote:James mate...have a look on the Parra facebook page in a cpl days...you might see yourself there :-)
Didnt know parra had facebook. it must be new?
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Some frog club racing pics... ( I am the tank ).
not too many deep section wheels amongst the competition TLL.
man, you are a big unit, though still recommend you get your bodyfat down to 10-12%. you might need a dietitian.

I followed up yesterday's race with a Club 160km ride. though rode 18km to start and same back, and added a bit to make it 200k :)
Was fat burning pace though due to a high contingent of older riders.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 27, 2012 8:10 pm

The beauty is I have 10 kgs to lose and those I ride with don't :P . Just doing it slowly (too slowly the last 3 weeks!)... but hopefully I will lose it in the next 3 months.
No not a lot of deep sections yesterday, it was windy though and the road is really rough for about 6kms... I rode off road as much as on road in some sections. I think everyone was a struggling a bit with the sudden change in weather, I certainly was... it was 9C three days ago... 28 to 30 yesterday. I am feeling it today to, not surprising though as the day before's ride was pretty hard as well. But I am using all the races as training at the moment and not saving anything for the finish.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 am

TLL, if you are like me, the more intense the pace, the more my appetite is stimulated. Higher pace means more glycogen reliant which can cause bonking and carb cravings. I had my most successful weight loss (20kg in 20 weeks) by doing more medium intensity riding where glycogen is not depleted as quickly. Anyway, as long as you are aware of it, and don't overeat, a big guy like you should be able to lose 0.5-1kg reasonably comfortably with higher intensities. If interested, I could calculate an accurate portion plan based on your current work volume.

toolonglegs

Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Just working out my final 3 weeks training before next 3 day tour... Won't be much medium pace stuff in there... But after that with not being able to ( and not wanting too either ) race July and most of August I will get in a lot of slower stuff ( lots of looking after slower riders in the job description :-) )... Staying in hotels for a month will make dieting tough but I have to do it... Cause last 2 weeks of August and all of September will be brutal :-) !.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 pm

You are an international man of mystery TLL. I presume you are a Sydney-ite involved in some Francophile cycling tour business.
Anyway, I enjoy your posts. You've obviously been a rabid racing cyclist for decades.

The more I cycle, and the older I get, the more I realize bodyweight is THE variable of greatest interest.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm

:lol: Kiwi...but ex Sydney-sider involved in an Aussie cycle tour company for the French tours (but only in the last year)... so close.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 am

MWCC cyclo-cross

I stuffed my knee while training for the last round of RBCC B Grade's club champs last year, so this weekend was my first comp since November. Over the last couple of weeks I've been modding the Kona Dew flatbar I bought here on BNA (hi Hugh, it's going well!) into a CX bike because I was so impressed with the Merida CX bike my wife got from Bicycle Garage at Lilyfield. So it seemed to be a good idea to give MWCC's cyclocross a whirl as a re-entry to racing.

I mis-read the ad and thought that as a club B Grader I had to race in the "Prestige" class, but when I tried out the course I felt as slow as a wet weekend in Dubbo. When they asked for people to move back to "Open" CX, I decided to try that instead.

Open had about 8-10 starters at a guess.It was much more like a time trial than like a crit or road race, because (as in the Prestige and MTB races) the field spread quickly. The bike-handling test around the muddy bits of the BMX track and singletrack was fun and challenging, and reminded me how long it had been since I'd done anything like that, apart from a few minutes on singletrack at my local park. The flat bits along the grass didn't particularly thrill, as they didn't offer handling challenges or the speed and efficiency of the tarmac. I sat in third for basically the whole way, moving up to second momentarily but gradually losing time to the top pair which was lead by Roger, one of those depressingly fit and quick 60+ year olds who still races B Grade in MTB and Waratah Masters. Only five finished in our class and Roger and I also entered the Prestige Cross which started a few minutes later. I bailed from the back of the pack early on because I didn't want to risk my knee, but when I left Roger was hanging in nicely.

The Prestige class looked to be full of fast guys on fast bikes. Almost every bike in the two events seemed to be a proper 'cross bike, apart from one nicely-converted steelie and my converted flat bar.

I was a bit depressed by my lack of pace until I got home and googled others in the pack and found out that they didn't just look impressive, but they WERE impressive. Guys from the middle of the Prestige pack have raced road and MTB for teams overseas and the number of guys from other clubs (and cities) indicated that it wasn't just a small club event. As far as I can judge, I'm getting closer to my (mediocre) best and the best thing of all is that the knee has been fine since the race.

So 'cross was fun and tough. There's nowhere to hide like in a road race, and there's no chance to build up a rhythm as in a TT. The fast cadence doesn't suit my strengths (or rather, my not-as-weak-areas) but on the other hand, you can find practise areas in many city parks. I'll be back, and since I start a new job soon I'll be back to cycle commuting and on a longer route, so I'll be back a bit quicker! :D Thanks MWCC!
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road