Bonking ...

To help with 'bonking', I .....

Carefully manage my carbohydrate / protein intake before, during and after exercise
35%
Use some sort of energy drink / supplement during exercise
37%
Hope my healthy diet will get me through
14%
Tell myself "Don't worry, be happy!". All this nutrition / hydration stuff is a waste of time.
7%
Do something else.
7%

Total votes: 43
LuckyPierre

Bonking ...

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:44 am

No, the over-exertion kind. No, no, the thing that happens when you over-do keeping up! No, no, no .... Oh, I give up! You've all got filthy minds :oops:

Lot's of us saw Floyd do it, Mike shared his experience when it happened to him in another thread. Has it happened to you? Could you have avoided it? What have you learned (or think you've learned) to avoid it in the future?

To get things started ....

I haven't bonked on my bike (yet). I lived through 'the wall' running marathons, including one where I was gone for all money, but managed to keep walking while I regrouped, then graduate to a 'stumbly jog', then made it to the end with what felt to me like a flourish. Sadly, the picture that all finishers got of them crossing the line tells another story. Everything I've seen / heard indicates that if you 'exert' hard enough and for long enough, it (bonking) is unavoidable - so management of your exertion and hydration / nutrition during exercise is vitally important - both to enable you to do it and to increase your ability to recover and do it again (and pass a drug test the next day).
I think that I'm getting better at managing my nutrition during club events. For me, they are long enough and hard enough that I experience 'flat spots' (mini-bonks?) if I don't keep my energy / glycogen levels up. I use Endura, but anything will do - there were several 'snakes' on the road on the weekend, so some-one must have dropped them.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:58 am

I haven't managed it on the bike either, though I reckon I came close last week with the head wind and the 5km climb.

Thinking about it though, I copped it a couple of months back laying artificial turf. Four solid days of very heavy work (me, unfit and getting on trying to keep up with thiry year olds who had been doing this for years - it was never going to work out and it didn't - the boss sacked me). I felt myself slowing then hit a point where I can actually feel myself moving slowly. Rather scary at the time but I recovered over lunch and was back to normal in the afternoon though it took a couple of weeks to fully recover.

As for preventative measures? Watching tv sounds a good start :D

Miko

Postby Miko » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:37 am

If I don't drink enough or take in enough carbs on a 100km+ hard ride I usually end up bonking. On fast hilly long rides, I take in between 500-750ml of sports drinks an hour and some gels. On shorter rides (under 60km) nutrition is not important and usually only take about 200ml of water.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:24 pm

Last Tuesday was the first time I have ever bonked and that includes when I was a competitve runner.

My diet consists of large quantities of food. I use to follow a special diet - 1/3 of my calories from Protien, 1/3 of my calories from carbs and 1/3 of my calories from fat. A minum of 3000 calories and always eat a small quantity of protein before going to bed. It all soon got a bit boring, this counting stuff.

Edit: changed rider to runner. Got bikes on the brain !!!!!
Last edited by mikesbytes on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:35 pm

I never get that problem. I always eat lots of chips, chocolate, junk food and drink lots of coke whilst I am watching a movie whilst riding. :D

green_commuter

Postby green_commuter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:07 pm

i don't think so

JB

Postby JB » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 pm

recently i experienced some better than average rides (as perceived by me) after consuming basmati rice 1 to 2 days prior to training/racing
basmati has a very low gi (slow burning).

i now swear by it and intend to take out basmati rice stock options :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 am

not sure eating something 1 or 2 days before makes much difference...does rice take up to 2 days to digest?.
I am right in saying that the modern thinking on maximum carbo loading is to go out the arvy / night before a serious race...roll out for a short amount of time but make sure you do one or two 100% efforts...dosen't matter if they are very short...then eat a good balanced meal as soon as possible after returning.This will aid in the maximum amount of carbo being taken up.
Or you can just use it as a mouth wash!... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19000099

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Stolen from another site...

The guy who writes this stuff really knows his stuff.
Realgains Jet Fuel Sports drink
JET FUEL !!!! please read on.....

STOP wasting your hard earned money on store bought sports drinks!

Most sports drinks have fructose as the first ingredient. This Carb is a poor choice for on the bike fuel because it does not have a carrier molecule to carry it across the intestinal wall and into the blood stream. It enter the blood via passive diffusion which is slowish. Then it has to go to the liver to be converted to the only carb the body can use(GLUCOSE).
Fructose is used because it is cheap, has a long shelf life and it tastes good.

Sucrose(table sugar) is actually a better choice than fructose as this sugar converts to 50% glucose and 50% fructose in the gut.

Maltodextrane is good as it is a chain of glucose molecules but it is slower to assimilate than dextrose(simple glucose)....and it's more expensive as well.

GLUCOSE is by far the better choice. It delivers immediate energy as it enters the blood stream very rapidly with the help of a carrier molecule.....it also carries water and sodium across with it so it really helps with hydration.

Try this very cheap and very effective sports drink. Buy a set of measuring spoons first.
CHEAP....like 10 cents per bottle!!!

Buy DEXTROSE(glucose) in bulk at a wine brewing store or health food store. Mix one level measuring teaspoon of dextrose per every 2 onces of water. That's about 12 level measuring teaspoons per regular large water bottle. This gives you a 6% carb solution made of pure glucose. By the way, all sugars, be they fructose, sucrose, glucose etc give 4 grams of carbs per level measuring teaspoon.

* You don't want more than 6-8% carb solution as a higher carb percentage will hinder water absorption and it can also make you feel sick....so no soda's(12% carb).....leave the soda's for after the ride.

To this mix in about 1/4 teaspoon of sodium(table salt) and about 1/16 teaspoon of potassium chloride. The potassium can be bought at a health food store or simply buy Nu-salt at the grocery store.

This sports drink doesn't taste very sweet as glucose isn't that sweet but it tastes just fine. Not only is this drink cheap but it works much better...way faster...and this is what you want during training and racing. Leave the fructose for post workout carb intake.

snark

Postby snark » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 pm

I get a 560g tub of "Gatorade Sports Pack" from the supermarket for about $8 which makes up 8 litres, so about $0.80 a 750ml bottle. A bit pricier than $0.10 a bottle! It seems to be roughly 75% sucrose and 25% glucose by the ingredient list (no mention of fructose), so maybe not as bad as some other sports drinks by the sounds of it.

Still, spending an eighth of that seems like good value - I'll try to find some glucose around here. I wonder if you can buy "lemon lime" flavour sachets anywhere? :)

Simon.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Glucodin was always lemon/lime - you could crush up some of those tabs, and use it as flavour/glucose :P

snark

Postby snark » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:27 pm

A few on-line oz beer/wine supplies shops seem to sell 1kg of dextrose for $3.50-4.00. Guessing that the potassium chlorate bit is negligible over many bottles, it looks like it's closer to about $0.25-0.30 a bottle. Still much better value than the packaged stuff it appears.

Simon.

Andrew69

Postby Andrew69 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:31 pm

You can buy 1kg of dextrose at Big W for around $3.
2007 Orbea Aspin
2008 Cervelo P3C

snark

Postby snark » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:21 pm

I've been trying a mix of 500g Dextrose (Cooper's brand - must be good!), 8g table salt and 4g "No Salt" (a potassium chloride salt substitute that lives next to the normal salt in the supermarket). I've also got some of those plastic lemon and lime juice squeeze bottles for taste.

Using the scoop that came with some Gatorade power which is rated at one scoop per 250ml, I use three scoops of my home made powder in a 750ml bottle, and add a squeeze of lemon juice and half a squeeze of lime juice. The lime juice is pretty overpowering if you add same amount of lime as lemon. I'm still toying with how much of a squeeze is needed for flavour - it's pretty hit and miss right now. When I find a good ratio of lemon to lime I might pre-mix that and use two good squeezes of the pre-mix juices.

This little concoction isn't going to win any awards for taste, but isn't unpalatable at all. I've tried taking one bottle of this with a bottle of plain water (my mix wins on taste there!) and with a bottle made from Gatorade powder (ok, so that still wins for taste). I sure can't notice the difference energy-level-wise between the pure glucose of my mix and the 75% sucrose/25% glucose mix in the Gatorade. I've been using this for a maybe two weeks now and haven't had any stomach complaints, vomiting, cramps or anything else that seems out of place, so I'm assuming it's relatively safe.

I've yet to work out the final economics of the exercise, but I suspect if that it's only as good as half as cheap as buying a brand powered sports drink I'll probably just stick with the Gatorade instead of mucking around. At least the rest of the family had a laugh at me in the kitchen with the scales out - reminded me a little of high school chemistry!

Simon.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 pm

snark wrote: I'll try to find some glucose around here
i've seen it in chemists. i think its called "glucodin" and about $5 for 1/2kg
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

snark

Postby snark » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:54 am

JV911 wrote:
snark wrote: I'll try to find some glucose around here
i've seen it in chemists. i think its called "glucodin" and about $5 for 1/2kg
Glucose is the same as dextrose, and I found a Cooper's branded "Dextrose" in the home-brewing section of my supermarket. Glucodin powder is I believe just glucose with a bit of flavouring, but no salts that Gatorade powder also contains.

At least in my local supermarket, Glucodin is in the same area as the sports drinks and not health food. Cooper's Dextrose was about $3.60 for a kg.

Simon.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:02 pm

I've been making my own sports drink for about a year now and absolutely swear by it!

The mix is very similar to toolongs post but I've played around through trial and error with the quantiies and taste until I found a balance that seems to work for me and tastes ok as well.

I a 2L jug I mix 7 tablespoons dextrose, 1/4 teaspoon iodised salt and fresh squeezed lemon to taste (lemon only added for taste).

I found that it will last in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB