Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

lobstermash

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:04 am

Yellow sunnies? Check! 8)

I was going to go red and black, but with the Tigers' amazing run to make the 8 this year, I had to celebrate (even though they lost the week after I ordered). The colour scheme also makes it look... less Cervelo. I'm just going to have to get some matching kit...

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:08 am

Double post
Last edited by lobstermash on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 am

Yeah you can't really go past black/yellow or black/red or black/lime green. Kind of like in the old Torana days.
They were always the best looking combos imo.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 am

Anyone got any feedback on this mob? http://www.carbonality.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinking of getting a set of these rims for the MTB, which I'll build onto XTR hubs. I like the sound of the titanium bead core to help bind it together.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 am

I cant speak for Carbonal myself, however there are a number of good reviews on MTBR.com about their frames and components. I am actually looking at their 650b dually frame at the moment trying to convince the wife that I need one ;-)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread, But has anyone here had trouble with their brake pulsating on their rims? I received some 50mm Carbon Clinchers off Aliexpress today

And after test riding them, both rims seem to pulsate a little, The front is quite bad when coming to a stop, and occurs around the valve hole area.... Is this common and is there any way to fix it? I am using the stock carbon pads

Cheers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 pm

rotate the wheel and watch as the 'suspect' area passes the brake pads. do you notice anything? are there imperfections in the rim surface where it contacts the brake pads?

it would be unusual for warped rims to cause much pulsating - the brake calipers are designed to move to and fro. but if there is a sudden change in rim 'profile' across the brake track area - that is more likely to cause pulsating as the brake arms can't move quickly enough.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:56 pm

FarSports apparently had a batch of bad rims that had the problems you describe, Matt.

paulz

Postby paulz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Here is my build from last year using a DengFu FM011 frame, custom painted.
The build was straight forward with no difficulties encountered.

The frame build appears to be pretty good and it rides really well...better
than I was expecting.

I will be changing this over to di2 over the coming months which will make
this a nice back up bike.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:34 pm

jules21 wrote:rotate the wheel and watch as the 'suspect' area passes the brake pads. do you notice anything? are there imperfections in the rim surface where it contacts the brake pads?

it would be unusual for warped rims to cause much pulsating - the brake calipers are designed to move to and fro. but if there is a sudden change in rim 'profile' across the brake track area - that is more likely to cause pulsating as the brake arms can't move quickly enough.
I don't think being out of true would cause it, The tracks look pretty good and they don't seem to be out of true any more than say 1mm or so
I have heard sometimes they don't machine down the valve area enough.. Will go grab some calipers tomorrow to run over them, the company says if the different is under .3mm then they should be fine

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Toying with the idea of a carbon wheelset now.

Cheap hubs concern me more than anything else. Anyone know of any crowds who build onto decent hubs? Or would I be better off sourcing hubs and rims myself, then getting a LBS to supply spokes and build up?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:54 am

mattwilkinson check the width of the brake track.

My brakes started pulsing after a couple of thousand ks on my carbon wheels and slowly got worse. A few thousand Ks later I stopped using them, as they were unrideable. The two front wheels, the brake track width was out my more than 1mm, ie 19mm wide brake tracks had at least one spot 20mm wide. The rear wheel which had done almost twice as much mileage was out by close to 2mm. At least two of these spot was near the valve. The rear wheel had three separate spots including the valve.

I found at first I could reduce the pulsing by moving the brake pads down the braking track as far as possible. It just bought me more time.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 am

dmwill wrote:Toying with the idea of a carbon wheelset now.

Cheap hubs concern me more than anything else. Anyone know of any crowds who build onto decent hubs? Or would I be better off sourcing hubs and rims myself, then getting a LBS to supply spokes and build up?
most only offer novatec or similar hubs. if you want something else, i'd have them built locally.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:50 pm

dmwill wrote:Toying with the idea of a carbon wheelset now.

I recall Farsports would build anything you wanted, White Industries, CK...

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm

nickobec wrote:mattwilkinson check the width of the brake track.

My brakes started pulsing after a couple of thousand ks on my carbon wheels and slowly got worse. A few thousand Ks later I stopped using them, as they were unrideable. The two front wheels, the brake track width was out my more than 1mm, ie 19mm wide brake tracks had at least one spot 20mm wide. The rear wheel which had done almost twice as much mileage was out by close to 2mm. At least two of these spot was near the valve. The rear wheel had three separate spots including the valve.

I found at first I could reduce the pulsing by moving the brake pads down the braking track as far as possible. It just bought me more time.
Strangely enough rim width seems okay? Seems to be within .1 or .2 of a mm.... And they are not out of true enough to fit a business card in there at all when they are scrubbing the tiniest amount, I'd estimate there to be less than .3 or .4mm of warp

Any other possibility's? Is it possible once tyres are inflated they're bulging the rim or something, or something wrong with brake pads? I tried to adjust the toe in to no avail

unavailablerequest
Location: stuck somewhere in a very small island, forever, i guess :(

Postby unavailablerequest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:28 pm

I too bought an OEM frame from chinese manufacturer, had it for more than a year the ride quality wasnt that bad, it was light, stiff and responsive. definitely a lot more stiff when i stood up and sprint as compared to my corsa.

Image[/url]
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

lukas

Postby lukas » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 pm

My experience with the far sports 38mm carbon clinchers, for what it's worth.

- Completely warped a front rim on a descent. This happened worryingly quickly when approaching a hairpin under heavy braking.They replaced it.
- rear wheel is a complete noodle. Out of saddle on steep gradients I'm rubbing my pads with my calipers wide open. Ive been between 70-75 kg in my time of ownership. B grade pack filler here, so not raining down the power by any means.

Junk in my opinion.

Look great though, especially with tan side walled tyres. They just don't come with me for any serious riding.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

nicko95

Postby nicko95 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:14 pm

who do you guys recommend when buying Chinese carbon frames/wheels

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Light bicycle did a great job on my wheels. And they were so nice and polite about every detail. Can't recommend those guys enough.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:18 am

How out of true would a wheel need to be before the brakes start to pulse? I'll upload a video of mine....

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

mattwilkinson wrote:How out of true would a wheel need to be before the brakes start to pulse? I'll upload a video of mine....
a fair bit. but it's not the magnitude of the run-out, but the rate of change. if it's a smooth buckle, the brakes will cope and you won't feel it. i once cracked a rim though and although it didn't put the rim too much out of true, the sudden change in rim surface made the brake pulse noticeably.

unavailablerequest
Location: stuck somewhere in a very small island, forever, i guess :(

Postby unavailablerequest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:32 am

nicko95 wrote:who do you guys recommend when buying Chinese carbon frames/wheels

anyone is fine simply think they are ultimately from the same source, just different "presentation", weigh your choices on on the looks, price, geometry, specs, trustworthiness.

thats how i accessed mine.

but why bother? just pay few hundreds more and you can get one from your lbs right?
2014 Lynskey Peloton
2011 Cervelo RS - SOLD
2008 Avanti Corsa - SOLD

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 am

unavailablerequest wrote: anyone is fine simply think they are ultimately from the same source, just different "presentation", weigh your choices on on the looks, price, geometry, specs, trustworthiness.

thats how i accessed mine.

but why bother? just pay few hundreds more and you can get one from your lbs right?
they're not the same as brand frames. i have a Hong Fu, i'm happy with it for the price, but it's not as high quality as a more expensive brand frame like S-Works etc.

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:38 am

I've got a set of Farsports 50mm....been using them for about a year now.
Had similar experience to Lukas with the pulsating rim when braking. They eventually replaced both although took a bit of time to sort out and acknowledge the issue. The replacements were abit better but no where near perfect and its taken about 2k of riding for them to be probably acceptable.
On the plus side, they ride and roll as good as my 303s in terms of spin, minimum flex but at a third of the price.
Maybe they have improved their quality of late ??? who knows...
Btw - they are also nice and polite during pre sales. Post sales although still polite their response times were delayed somewhat.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm

black4tress wrote:I've got a set of Farsports 50mm....been using them for about a year now.
Had similar experience to Lukas with the pulsating rim when braking. They eventually replaced both although took a bit of time to sort out and acknowledge the issue. The replacements were abit better but no where near perfect and its taken about 2k of riding for them to be probably acceptable.
On the plus side, they ride and roll as good as my 303s in terms of spin, minimum flex but at a third of the price.
Maybe they have improved their quality of late ??? who knows...
Btw - they are also nice and polite during pre sales. Post sales although still polite their response times were delayed somewhat.

Did you find the pulsating settled down a bit? Someone on another forum said using better carbon pads can fix the issue