Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

nickobec

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby nickobec » Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Another ride on my 1250gm 38mm rims today, pushed much harder today and the aero effect over my regular wheels with mavic open pro rims is noticeable over 33kph on the flats

Overall, very very happy with them

The next big test tomorrow is racing a flat but rough surfaced road circuit

wce

Postby wce » Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey nickobec, are you racing at Serpentine tomorrow, interesting to see how your wheels go. :)
Image.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Ok I've decided I'll go for the carbon 29er wheels for my commuter, the stock wheels don't thrill me (hoping to save 1 or 1.5kg with the new ones). Will be my first foray into chinese carbon wheels but if they're anything like my frame then I'm sure they'll be great.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Only advice I would give to anybody contemplating using the FSC38-CM full carbon 38mm clincher as commuting wheels, they are pains to get tyres off and on the rims even with tools.

Changes tires on 5 wheels in last 2 days, took Rubino Pros III of my 2x WH6700s, replaced them with Diamante Pros, removed Vittoria training tyre from Mavic Open Pro rim, replaced it with a Rubino Pro III, fitted Rubino Pro III, after failing with Corsa Evo CX to the FSC38-CMs front and 2x rear. Only need tools for the training tyre and for all the FSC38-CM, took me over 5 minutes a tyre on the FSC38-CMs, compared to under two for the other wheels. So if you get a puncture on the FSC38-CMs, be prepared to take a while to change tyres.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 pm

wce wrote:Hey nickobec, are you racing at Serpentine tomorrow, interesting to see how your wheels go. :)
Yes I will be, which wheels, depends on which bike. still setting up the Fuji SL1.

Hopefully I will not be sore tomorrow after putting the Fuji + new wheels through the paces today in race setup.

Otherwise it will be the steel Giessauf, probably with the Mavic Open Pro/Powertap wheel set.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 19, 2012 8:37 am

AndrewBurns wrote:Ok I've decided I'll go for the carbon 29er wheels for my commuter, the stock wheels don't thrill me (hoping to save 1 or 1.5kg with the new ones). Will be my first foray into chinese carbon wheels but if they're anything like my frame then I'm sure they'll be great.
Hi Andrew,

keep us posted and with pics, as I am thinking of doing a wheelset with the 23mm wide 29er rims and aiming at under 1400g for a disc wheelset.

Good luck :mrgreen:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat May 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Pretty happy with mine, still need to give the carbon clinchers a run, have been using Fulcrum R3s which i really really like.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun May 20, 2012 1:30 am

Wheels survived their 1st race with flying colours, more that happy to dive into final corner at pace with these wheels.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun May 20, 2012 12:28 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Pretty happy with mine, still need to give the carbon clinchers a run, have been using Fulcrum R3s which i really really like.

Nice ride Jase, looks familiar :)

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun May 20, 2012 3:20 pm

^ nooice!

i wanted matt black but i bought second hand so didnt have the option :P

i almost went sram force too! haha

wce

Postby wce » Sun May 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi Nicobec, great racing saturday, I was talking to someone who had chinese tubulars in our race and he was wrapped with them.
Regards
Image.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 pm

nickobec wrote:Full specs
Item No.:FSC38-CM
Rim:full carbon 38mm clincher 20/24H
Hubs:Bitex
Spoke:Sapim cx-ray
Nipple:Sapim (SILS)
App: UD
Weight: 1250g(+/-30g) each set
FOB Price:US $529 each set

just need to ride them to see how impressed with them I am.
Hey Nicobec,

Thanks for the photos and information regarding these wheels you bought. I am also interested in getting the same ones.

In the photos you posted your wheels have black nipples, but the ones on the Farsports website have red nipples. Also yours seem to have different hubs, or am I looking at the wrong link? Also I can't find them anywhere for around US$529.

http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=730

Did you order directly from the Farports website, or did you buy online through Ali baba etc?

Can you please post us the link to the exact wheels you bought and the exact retailer which you bought from, as there are many people selling these wheels on Ali baba.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Arlberg wrote: In the photos you posted your wheels have black nipples, but the ones on the Farsports website have red nipples. Also yours seem to have different hubs, or am I looking at the wrong link? Also I can't find them anywhere for around US$529.

http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=730

Did you order directly from the Farports website, or did you buy online through Ali baba etc?
Those are my wheels, which I ordered from the Farsports website,

I had the choice of:
rims external nipple with 3K glossy or UD matt finish.
Bitex (not wheelsmith) Hubs red,black,white
Sapim cx-ray spokes black
Nipple Sapim external red,black,sliver

cost 529USD + 60USD shipping + 24USD (4% paypal fee) = 613USD

email Johnson sales3@farsports.cn tell him I sent you, I was getting responses to my emails within a hour during the day

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 pm

If you are looking for a new light chinese frame, I was not until I found http://www.velobuild.com/ looks like I will be getting on of those extremely light FM066 for climbing by partaking in a group buy http://www.velobuild.com/component/kune ... y?Itemid=0

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 21, 2012 11:53 pm

nickobec wrote:If you are looking for a new light chinese frame, I was not until I found http://www.velobuild.com/ looks like I will be getting on of those extremely light FM066 for climbing by partaking in a group buy http://www.velobuild.com/component/kune ... y?Itemid=0
I have no excuse/reason for another frame :oops:

I was very interested in that frame when it surfaced a few months back, but I don't race or commute and n+1 isn't really an option for me.

Look forward to your build nick, swap over parts or full new build ?

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Crawf wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:Pretty happy with mine, still need to give the carbon clinchers a run, have been using Fulcrum R3s which i really really like.

Nice ride Jase, looks familiar :)

That looks really good! Almost looks like a Specialized Mclaren
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

crawf/nicko, what pads are you guys using on the rims?

have yet to try the ones that came with the wheelset, just wondering if there are better pads out there or if the stock ones are fine.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm

jaseyjase wrote:crawf/nicko, what pads are you guys using on the rims?

have yet to try the ones that came with the wheelset, just wondering if there are better pads out there or if the stock ones are fine.
Just used the stock ones, first ride little tentative but they worked fine, then flew around a sweeper at 50kmh to find the council working on the road with my lane blocked, the pads work real good at stopping quick, no fears on race day.

Been happy with the performance, but it has all been in the dry.

Still should invest in a another set next Ribble/c r c/Wiggle/T7 order

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 am

Swiss Stop yellow been the best I have found - wet or dry they work quietly and smell free
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am

Cheers boys, chucked the cork pads on last night and went for a quick run, seem to work well, decent stopping power.

Ill look into replacements once these are worn :wink:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm

My 50mm cc's were despatched from Farsport on Thu 17/5/12.
Here's the tracking data to date.

I presume they may get delivered Thu or Fri. Thought they might have come quicker than this based on others' experience.

I've used my LBS for delivery as I've often found goods delivered to commercial premises are delivered more reliably.
Also, the LBS will safety check the wheels, weigh, apply rim tape, cassette, tubes, and tires. All stuff I could do myself with confidence apart from the safety check. Will post pics and ride report.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 pm

My bet is on Friday delivery to BrisVegas, but you might be lucky

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed May 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Cork will likely suck in the wet. Had mine on till the first rain then soiled my self and got swiss stop - hope they were cork great in the dry but had burning melting smell
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

philip

Postby philip » Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm

From what I've read on the rbr forums the FS 50mm clinchers are impressive in terms of value for money (and weight), but if it's an aero wheel you're after with good performance characteristics, they're not going to be much better than your average low profile rim. Was impressed with the guy in vic who is using them for cx - apparently they held up fine over a very rough cx course.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm

philip wrote:From what I've read on the rbr forums the FS 50mm clinchers are impressive in terms of value for money (and weight), but if it's an aero wheel you're after with good performance characteristics, they're not going to be much better than your average low profile rim. Was impressed with the guy in vic who is using them for cx - apparently they held up fine over a very rough cx course.
They will be more aero than standard low profile rims! According to some tests by a German bike magazine, here are the aerodynamic drag losses (in watts) for a pretty simple deep section wheelset (in terms of shape) versus a pretty common low profile rim. So lower is better. At 40kmh, the 50mm rim experiences 20% less drag than the 23.3mm rim. Indeed, the Shimano RS80 C50 was more aero than EVERY low profile rim tested.

30kmh 40kmh 50kmh

Shimano RS80 C50 5.0 12.9 27.0

Fulcrum Racing 3 6.8 16.1 31.4