Consider others when you stop pedaling

Big Pete 1

Consider others when you stop pedaling

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 pm

One of my pet hates about riding in a bunch is when the guy in front of you stops pedaling and starts to slow down unnecessarily.
I have nothing against stop pedaling, I do it myself. It is this see-awing forward and back motion when someone stops pedaling and then starts pedaling again. They do not consider the fact that they are reversing, in momentum, into the guy behind them.

Personally, if I have to stop pedaling, knowing that my momentum will slow down, I always push harder on my last down stroke to counteract any slowing down. I slightly move forward and then drift back to where I was. In this way, the guy behind me does not have to change his tempo. I do this when I want to get off my saddle for a quick stretch.

rodneycc

Re: Consider others when you stop pedaling

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Easy answer to this.. Take a turn at the front! :-)
Ok not very helpful.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Isn't this something you need to discuss with the rider/s concerned and/or your bunch, in general, prior to the bunch ride???
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Or dont do bunch rides with people who dont know how to bunch ride

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 pm

rodneycc wrote:Easy answer to this.. Take a turn at the front! :-)
Ok not very helpful.
I am not fit enough to always lead the ride, though most would say I do more than most.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

macca33 wrote:Isn't this something you need to discuss with the rider/s concerned and/or your bunch, in general, prior to the bunch ride???
Unfortunately I have said so to the worst offenders but I suppose some habits die hard.
I am just expressing a pet hate and a way to avoid being a see-saw rider.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Or dont do bunch rides with people who dont know how to bunch ride
I live in a rural area, not much choice as to who you ride with.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 pm

That sounds more like a group of cyclists riding together than a bunch. If so, I would be leaving a good distance to the bike in front of me to allow for any such variations in speed. If they are riding like that, they aren't likely to be taking the whole thing seriously enough to be considering what you are doing behind them.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Organise a fixed gear ride. Those habits will disappear after one occurrence, guaranteed.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

silentC wrote:That sounds more like a group of cyclists riding together than a bunch. If so, I would be leaving a good distance to the bike in front of me to allow for any such variations in speed. If they are riding like that, they aren't likely to be taking the whole thing seriously enough to be considering what you are doing behind them.
We quite often go at a good tempo for many kilometres. Conserving energy become important. So we hang in close to the guy in front.

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Organise a fixed gear ride. Those habits will disappear after one occurrence, guaranteed.
Oh yeah! Good bucking idea. :lol:

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 am

Big Pete 1 wrote: We quite often go at a good tempo for many kilometres. Conserving energy become important. So we hang in close to the guy in front.
Yeah I know why you do it. But if you have guys who are varying their speed all the time like that, it sounds like they aren't taking it very seriously. What I am saying is that in a ride like that I wouldn't be on the guy's wheel at all. In fact I'd probably do my best to be ahead of him because I would find it annoying too. If it's the whole group doing it then you'd probably be better riding alone. Or just treat it like a social ride and have a chat.

We have a semi-serious bunch ride every Sunday. There is a core group who is always there but we are often infiltrated by others of various experience levels. Before you know it, you are being overtaken on the left and the right at the same time, people riding 3 & 4 abreast, ducking and weaving all over the road, nobody is calling debris or potholes etc. I just either hang right back or try to get well ahead of it. Back is best because you can see what is going on.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Big Pete 1

Postby Big Pete 1 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

I agree with you silentC. I usually stay up front, and rotate with the first 3-5 riders. However, like yourself, we sometimes end up behind a restless one. I too relocate myself, of I can, with someone more consistent and smooth.

Another rider which I avoid is those that can't ride straight. One guy I know can't sit still, and lacks focus. He keeps looking around and where he looks his bike tends to follow. I avoid him like the plague.

I never depend on anybody to tell me about hazards, potholes, etc on the road. I always look where I am going. You know it is bad, in the bunch, when I am the last rider calling out "POTHOLE!!" for the guys up front.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 am

Yes you have to look out for yourself. I once ran over a dead rabbit because I relied on the guy in front to be calling hazards! Learnt my lesson that day. If I'd had some warning, I could have bunny-hopped it :)

I ride with another bunch every Wednesday. There is a large lump of tar on the shoulder that we ride past every week. This morning the guy in front of me points it out. He must have pointed at it hundreds of times over the years to the same group of riders. It's funny in a way but it is second nature to some of us.

I try to hold my line too. I like to imagine the guy behind me thinking, gee look how straight his line is, he doesn't vary. He probably isn't thinking that but it's better than him thinking "is this guy drunk?", which is what I think about a lot of riders I have followed :)
- Me

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Or dont do bunch rides with people who dont know how to bunch ride
So this.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Have you heard of the call "Standing"?

In some club racing and as something I introduced into bunch rides, a rider who wants to get out of the saddle calls 'Standing'. This is really for tight bunches and compensates the problem of changing velocity - so riders behind simply ease-off a little and increase the gap.

It works wonders for the leg-stretch and particularly for climbing when a rider infront can substantially change tempo when they stand (first slowing - especially when they change up into a harder gear before standing and then accelerating).

Introducing calls and signs is not always easy - but there is nothing wrong with a pre or post ride suggestion to the whole group to try a few new calls which make it safer for all. Some of the old grumpy bastards will surely complain because they never needed those calls when they orange-boys at the local cricket club, but because there are a lot of new riders, it helps them behave more safely in a group and doesn't detract from the ride quality.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm

I was riding behind another guy this morning, not a bunch but drafting. A couple of times I had to stop pedalling because I was gaining on him. It was hard to keep my speed matching his. I haven't really ridden in a bunch, but imagine it would be similar to my drafting experience. You pedal a bit and then occasionally need to slow as you gain on the rider in front. Not sure that adding extra power before you stop pedalling would have the desired effect of not running into the rider in front.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm

@Big Pete I feel your pain.

Discipline varies wildly between bunches. They're good in that they add an important social side, and motivation as well (staying on that wheel up the climb) but some are a bit lax with the signalling, which makes me nervous. Surging (as you've described) and riding in the door zone bug me as well. Fortunately the bunch I've joined here in Sydney are good with that kind of stuff.

I'm about to start training for the Can4Cancer ride from Canberra to Sydney, so I'll be joining a bunch with wildly varying levels of experience for that, which will be interesting. They have a published etiquette guide which is excellent and they enforce it strictly, so I think we'll be fine.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 am

Geez Pete, you'd hate riding behind me. On my ride it's impossible to maintain a consistent cadence over even 100m.

Then again, you would have to be in really shape to drift behind me. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Geez Pete, you'd hate riding behind me. On my ride it's impossible to maintain a consistent cadence over even 100m.

Then again, you would have to be in really shape to drift behind me. :mrgreen:
For the benefit of others and before we have an all out brawl, he is on one wheel only. :roll:

Surging sometimes can be good as well - if someone puts in a big effort on a hill it forces you to think, will I go with him (can I manage it), will he blow up, etc. That can be good training too.

When I started riding, everyone else was surging because they were much fitter than I was; only way was to tough it out and try to stay with them, hard as it was.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am

The other thing that group riders do is surge out of corners. If you are someone who has always ridden in groups you may not even realise that the group does it, but as someone who had always ridden alone as a commuter or recreational cyclist, it was pretty obvious.

That took me by surprise as a newbie, and I have pointed it out to other newbies since.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 am

bychosis wrote: A couple of times I had to stop pedalling because I was gaining on him. It was hard to keep my speed matching his.
To combat this, I generally shift up a gear (or two) which will then allow me to still keep spinning at a consistent (albeit higher) cadence. Come crit/race time, its easier to go with a sudden surge/attack if you're spinning compared to coasting and then having to stomp on the pedals.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 am

part of the art of bunch riding is match bunch pace, which isn't necessarily exactly the pace of the rider directly ahead of you. if the rider ahead slows momentarily, you can overtake or stay behind them by slowing down. you can reduce your workload by anticipating riders slowing ahead of you and reacting early - e.g. stop pedalling as soon as you know you will have to slow. the smoother you keep it, the easier it is to increase your pace again.

particularly in racing, sometimes the rider ahead just gives up and drops the wheel. usually they're hoping you will come around them and bridge the gap, while they recuperate behind you. here you must make a careful choice of whether to call their bluff and stay on their wheel - and risk losing the bunch - or do their work for them and overtake. but that doesn't really apply in a bunch ride.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Surging in a bunch ride is my number one hate.
It's either lack of bunch riding skills or ego or both that cause it and it only makes other guys blow-up sooner or make everyone angry.

BTW, if you find yourself needing to stop pedaling and coast then back on the pedals then coast again while on their wheel, then you need to learn to give yourself a bit more space perhaps, drop a gear and better match the speed. Unless the rider is all over the shop then I'd go around him or let him go.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Rex wrote:Surging in a bunch ride is my number one hate.
It's either lack of bunch riding skills or ego or both that cause it and it only makes other guys blow-up sooner or make everyone angry.

BTW, if you find yourself needing to stop pedaling and coast then back on the pedals then coast again while on their wheel, then you need to learn to give yourself a bit more space perhaps, drop a gear and better match the speed. Unless the rider is all over the shop then I'd go around him or let him go.
There are some very skilled bunch riders who do surge the pace (and I really mean it, not just a little accelleration), it's in bunch rides that are pretty much flat out and everyone is trying to destroy everyone else. No ego there either. Everyone knew what they were in for, they all knew it would be like that and that's why they went along.