Carbon Clincher Suggestions

NNSA

Carbon Clincher Suggestions

Postby NNSA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for a new Wheelset. I currently have a Cervelo S3 with Dura Ace C24. I want to get a wheelset that is a bit faster and more Aero.
I do a couple of flat 50km rides per week as fast as I can. Plus I also like to do some longer rides and climbing on the weekend.
I was interested in the Fulcrum Speed 40-55 combo but not sure as I really do like climbing.
I also like the look of the Fulcrum Speed 40C.
I am 182cms and 74kg. Budget around 2.5k
Happy to get some other suggestions.

Thanks.

Derny Driver

Re: Carbon Clincher Suggestions

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 pm

NNSA wrote: I do a couple of flat 50km rides per week as fast as I can...
:shock:

Have a look at Caden wheels.
Highly recommended.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:38 pm

How windy is it where you ride?

My zhoosh zhoosh wheels (named by a riding buddy for the sound the make at speed) are 55mm customs not dissimilar to Giant SLR 0 aero, beautifully aero and you notice the difference at speed. Only problem they are an absolute PITA in crosswinds, you need to be concentrating all the time. If you are caught unaware by a crosswind, your front wheel is a metre or two away from where you want it to be.

That said they were my race wheels until recently, including hilly races. They weigh a little over 100 grams more than your C24, and while I might lose a little time on steep climbs (which I am cr@p at anyway), I get it back on the flats and descents in aero.

My new bike came with 40mm Reynolds Assault SLG, which are much better behaved in the wind. Gone tubeless and not going back. Use them for training, don't have to concentrate all the time and just leave them on to race, far more confident cornering.

NNSA

Postby NNSA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:53 pm

It does get a bit windy here in Perth. There is usually some wind when I am riding and I am light so I did consider a 55mm on the rear but wouldn't go deeper than 40mm on the front.

NNSA

Postby NNSA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:54 pm

The Caden website looks good and some good reviews too.
Thanks for the suggestion.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:24 am

+1 on the Cadens. Excellent wheels without the Price Tag to match
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am

Caden are excellent, you could also consider the Wiggle 'Prime' brand - they seem to be getting good reviews...

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:26 pm

nickobec wrote:How windy is it where you ride?

My zhoosh zhoosh wheels (named by a riding buddy for the sound the make at speed) are 55mm customs not dissimilar to Giant SLR 0 aero, beautifully aero and you notice the difference at speed. Only problem they are an absolute PITA in crosswinds, you need to be concentrating all the time. If you are caught unaware by a crosswind, your front wheel is a metre or two away from where you want it to be.

That said they were my race wheels until recently, including hilly races. They weigh a little over 100 grams more than your C24, and while I might lose a little time on steep climbs (which I am cr@p at anyway), I get it back on the flats and descents in aero.

My new bike came with 40mm Reynolds Assault SLG, which are much better behaved in the wind. Gone tubeless and not going back. Use them for training, don't have to concentrate all the time and just leave them on to race, far more confident cornering.
I found that I was quicker on descents with normal alloy wheels (non aero) compared to others with deep wheels.

Maybe it isn't just about the wheels.

Could the rider perhaps have some element to it as well?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:
I found that I was quicker on descents with normal alloy wheels (non aero) compared to others with deep wheels.

Since descending is about weight/drag, maybe you are gravitationally more suited to descending ... or aerodynamically gifted.

When I was racing a tandem we only had 25mm deep aluminium rims, but for some reason we kept riding away from people on descents.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:09 am

ironhanglider wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Since descending is about weight/drag, maybe you are gravitationally more suited to descending ... or aerodynamically gifted.

When I was racing a tandem we only had 25mm deep aluminium rims, but for some reason we kept riding away from people on descents.

Cheers,

Cameron
I'm not gravitationally suited to descending! ;) Maybe more aero. But what you want is dependable stopping power for those really huge descents of 30km or more which are really steep.

Those carbon wheels are just crap in comparison.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:29 am

Zipp 302's
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I got a set of 49/59 Cadens a couple of months ago, fantastic wheels for the price, braking is just as good if not better than any aluminium wheels Ive owned.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm

lone rider wrote:I got a set of 49/59 Cadens a couple of months ago, fantastic wheels for the price, braking is just as good if not better than any aluminium wheels Ive owned.
Told ya !!
:D :D :D