Pedals

Jerryjan

Pedals

Postby Jerryjan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi just after some info. I have changed from mtb shoes to road shoes on my road bike. At the moment I am using my shimano 2 bolt mtb pedals, but have missed the cleat a couple of times and cut the back of my leg. Am I better changing to road pedals and cleats if so which type.
Cheers Jerry

brett.hooker

Re: Pedals

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I would recommend going all the way one way or the other.
I have tried road shoes with MTB cleats myself and it is really hard to hit the mark every time, as you have found out.

I have basically used MTB pedals and shoes all my adult life and find them the most versatile, particularly if you commute a lot on your road bike.

I do cop a bit of a ribbing for having MTB pedals on my road bike (see Rule 34 - http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) but I feel safest and most comfortable with them.

I have a gorgeous set of Ultegra road pedals and carbon road shoes, that I have used for a couple of thousand km's on the road bike; and I do agree that they are a world better in terms of stiffness and responsiveness on a road bike and I would use then again if my riding was mostly track/flat/group rides. However, trying to stomp in a road cleat on a standing hill start at a traffic light in traffic was just something that brought me to my knees more than once. Hence, I choose to stick to my xt MTB pedals and MTB shoes on my road bike and I wear the jibes that come with breaking rule 34 from time to time....

:-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

To answer your question on what type; all my research points to Speedplay being the closest to the dual sided MTB experience, and those that I have spoken to who actually ride them, swear by them. I personally went the Shimano Ultegra route, mostly because that is the groupset my bike comes with.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 pm

+1 to speedplays. I have both the zeros and light action (which are easier to get in and out of). I rather the zero for the distinct clip sound when they are in. I am trialing at the moment crossing the zero pedal with the light action cleat to see if I can get the easier entry/exit with the nice clip sound. (Speedplay say you shouldn't do this but have read lots of people do without issues).

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 am

brett.hooker wrote:However, trying to stomp in a road cleat on a standing hill start at a traffic light in traffic was just something that brought me to my knees more than once.
My experience was all it takes is practice.

Were you starting in the wrong gear maybe? Or do they just have really steep hills round your way?

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 am

brett.hooker wrote:To answer your question on what type; all my research points to Speedplay being the closest to the dual sided MTB experience, and those that I have spoken to who actually ride them, swear by them. I personally went the Shimano Ultegra route, mostly because that is the groupset my bike comes with.
I've got Ultegra and 105's and they are pretty much identical. I just couldn't see a point in going past Shimano. Ubiquitous, reliable, not too exy, work well.

I looked at Speedplays and decided I couldn't be doing with the constant maintenance. Same reason I don't like SRAM. Seems to me it doesn't matter whether it's cycling, motoring, or whatever, sophisticated stuff likely performs better than simple stuff, but it's also a lot more sensitive to poor (that is to say, no) maintenance, and won't work well even slightly out of adjustment.

I see Ultegra a bit like an Isuzu diesel. Simple, robust, unstoppable. SRAM (or Speedplay, whatever) may be more like that fancy-pants twin turbo multivalve multipoint-injection super V12 thing in your Carbo Lite Sportmobile. Faster, sure, but see how quickly it gets out of whack. And you can't run it on cooking fat... :D

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 am

I went from Look KEO to Speedplay X series. I will never go back. Love the float and the ease of clipping in to the Speedplays.
2010 BMC SLC01

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:54 am

London Boy wrote:
brett.hooker wrote:However, trying to stomp in a road cleat on a standing hill start at a traffic light in traffic was just something that brought me to my knees more than once.
My experience was all it takes is practice.

Were you starting in the wrong gear maybe? Or do they just have really steep hills round your way?

Steep hills. 99% of the time was totally fine... Just that 1% caused heel injuries and concern for safety in traffic. Just a personal choice.

I put at least 2000km on the spd-sl's before I went back to the spd's.

If only it weren't for rule 34! :-)

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi
Thanks for all the replies I will get some spd sl pedals and give them a go.
Cheers Jerry

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 pm

You guys jinxed me! Today I overbalanced the wrong side at went down at the lights in front of cars and pedestrians. I hadn't had a clip stack for a long while. Oh the indignity! I really thought I had passed all that behind. Nothing like it for keeping the ego in check!

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 pm

rodneycc wrote:You guys jinxed me! Today I overbalanced the wrong side at went down at the lights in front of cars and pedestrians. I hadn't had a clip stack for a long while. Oh the indignity! I really thought I had passed all that behind. Nothing like it for keeping the ego in check!
I find it helps if I call it a 'horizontal track stand'.

Sounds like it took a bit of skill. I mean, anyone can fall off a bike... :D

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 pm

rodneycc wrote:You guys jinxed me! Today I overbalanced the wrong side at went down at the lights in front of cars and pedestrians.
Speaking of which. What is the correct way to balance towards the correct side?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 pm

I usually just take the left foot out leaving the right in without any probs but today the left foot out ok... no probs ( and touched down on the ground) and had just about stopped but for some reason shifted my weight to the right side and have gone... oh that's not normal, twist right foot, nope still in, panic, pull foot, nope still in.. and down she went...

Edit: and to add to the insult lost one of my keep on kovers on the way home. Just not a good day!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm

nirismo wrote:Speaking of which. What is the correct way to balance towards the correct side?
Turn your handlebars away from the side you wish to lean towards and put the foot down. To avoid the even more embarassing standing horizontal dance be sure to keep yor wheel pointed away from you while you are standing stopped, not towards the foot you've planted on the ground.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi guys,
So what is the first thing that goes into action in an emergency. I would imagine breaking and simultaneous avoidance. Where does that leave your clipped in feet.
I can't see myself being quick enough to get dislocated quickly enough.
When I look at the video of Summer Nights accident, and that car door just happening so quickly, I can only imagine un-clipping to be secondary and so cause me a bit more trauma.
In the few occasions that I have had an incident occur, personally I was glad to just have ordinary pedals.

My supplied Shimano clip in pedals are in the "bike bits box" because when taking off at intersections they were invariably upside down any way; and they simply annoyed me. just getting them the right way up was a pain,and that is with normal shoes. I can't imagine then getting them correct and clipping in all the time.
I do ride paths but am often on the roads, and do a lot of shopping with the bike etc.
I'm really old and my average speed on a 30 to 40 km trip is around 20 km/hour. :) Is it worth attempting to change my ways?

This is the type I have removed. http://www.this link is broken/shimano-a530-sp ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:50 pm

I ride withe SPD pedals. One day I decided I wanted them. Put them on my bike and have ridden them ever since. I have never hit the road/ground and still been connected to my bike. Clipless pedals for some are a "mental issue" (fear of not being able to unclip) that has to be overcome .

I like these

Double sided combo pedals No Thanks

What is "old" nothing wrong with 20kmh

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi guys,
So what is the first thing that goes into action in an emergency. I would imagine breaking and simultaneous avoidance. Where does that leave your clipped in feet.
Mutli-tasking! Don't let the women think only they do this. We can all walk and chew gum :P

outnabike wrote:When I look at the video of Summer Nights accident, and that car door just happening so quickly, I can only imagine un-clipping to be secondary and so cause me a bit more trauma.
Generally, provided you don't have the tension done up tight, all clipless pedals are designed to release under the stresses of a fall or crash*. MTB riders use them and have frequent spills. The bike and rider always separate.

For a beginner you should always be ready to unclip early and maybe ride unclipped in tight traffic, approaching a likely red light etc.

outnabike wrote:My supplied Shimano clip in pedals are in the "bike bits box" because when taking off at intersections they were invariably upside down any way; and they simply annoyed me. just getting them the right way up was a pain,and that is with normal shoes. I can't imagine then getting them correct and clipping in all the time.
You will be much better off with double-sided SPDs - you just take off and place your foot on the pedal. If you don't engage straight off, no worries just keep pedalling and engage on the next stroke.... or the next. With practice this becomes simply a case of take off and engage straight off, automatically. You just get to know where the correct spot is.

* but sadly they won't release until you're already on the downwards trajectory :(
Mandatory helmet law?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

When I question people about why, they fell off, they generally say because I couldn't get a foot out in time. The best way too fix this problem is too get into the habit of unclicking the same foot every time. :idea: :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 pm

il padrone wrote:
outnabike wrote:Hi guys,
Mutli-tasking! Don't let the women think only they do this. We can all walk and chew gum :P

outnabike wrote:When I look at the video of Summer Nights accident, and that car door just happening so quickly, I can only imagine un-clipping to be secondary and so cause me a bit more trauma.
Generally, provided you don't have the tension done up tight, all clipless pedals are designed to release under the stresses of a fall or crash*. MTB riders use them and have frequent spills. The bike and rider always separate.

For a beginner you should always be ready to unclip early and maybe ride unclipped in tight traffic, approaching a likely red light etc.

outnabike wrote:My supplied Shimano clip in pedals are in the "bike bits box" because when taking off at intersections they were invariably upside down any way; and they simply annoyed me. just getting them the right way up was a pain,and that is with normal shoes. I can't imagine then getting them correct and clipping in all the time.
You will be much better off with double-sided SPDs - you just take off and place your foot on the pedal. If you don't engage straight off, no worries just keep pedalling and engage on the next stroke.... or the next. With practice this becomes simply a case of take off and engage straight off, automatically. You just get to know where the correct spot is.

* but sadly they won't release until you're already on the downwards trajectory :(
Bang on. Shimano multi release mtb spd cleats will always come out with enough force in any direction. In a panic situation you can just rip your foot out. I have found this the case when I've really needed to get a foot out quick. Noobs fall because they just try and slide their foot off the pedal. They also seem to come out in a crash, every time.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:26 pm

outnabike wrote:
I do ride paths but am often on the roads, and do a lot of shopping with the bike etc.
I'm really old and my average speed on a 30 to 40 km trip is around 20 km/hour. :) Is it worth attempting to change my ways?

This is the type I have removed. http://www.this link is broken/shimano-a530-sp ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the 530s on my cruiser, but on my commute I have double sided SPDs with no cage (m540s). No guesswork needed, just take off and put your foot down and you are clipped in. They are a lot less chunky than
the 530s, which are clearly designed for cruising quiet country roads with minimal stopping.

My road bike has a520 pedals, which are much smaller than the 530s, but still have a cage. They are single sided pedals but you learn the technique for getting them
right side up pretty quickly, you just need to time the pedal stroke, and sometimes give the pedal a little flick with your foot to rotate it.

Paul
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 pm

So, there is a right way to stop gracefully, thanks Il Padrone,

Anybody tried Bebops? My three regular rides, and my MTB, have them and they have all the advantages of Speedplays with easier entry and exit, and cleats that you can abuse as much as you like without damaging the pedal retaing mechanism. The only qualification is that there is no float adjustment and some cyclists who are used to zero float, and possibly issues with cranky knees, hate the feeling.

The other major plus with Bebops is that you can use them with MTB shoes, competition styles look fine for roadies, and enjoy all the comfort that comes with walking like a human being while getting a stable interface between shoe and pedal that one expects from delta cleat style pedals.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 pm

foo on patrol wrote:When I question people about why, they fell off, they generally say because I couldn't get a foot out in time. The best way too fix this problem is too get into the habit of unclicking the same foot every time. :idea: :wink:

Foo
Actually Foo, I think in my case it was because I leant over the wrong way after making a bit of a U turn from a pedestrian crossing to get back on the road in front of all the cars stopped at the lights. I haven't been used to taking out the right foot out really quickly (as thats not part of my usual procedure!). I've been using clipless over a year now and lots of different types so I was a little surprised to go down again (and its never pretty).

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I ride withe SPD pedals. One day I decided I wanted them. Put them on my bike and have ridden them ever since. I have never hit the road/ground and still been connected to my bike. Clipless pedals for some are a "mental issue" (fear of not being able to unclip) that has to be overcome .

I like these

Hi mitzikatzi, and apologies Jerryjan, for stealing your thread.

What type of shoe goes with those m780- xc race pedals, I understand it is easier to walk with MTB shoes. I still would like to walk in the town and get the right shoes. I am feeling more courageous by the minute. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I ride withe SPD pedals. One day I decided I wanted them. Put them on my bike and have ridden them ever since. I have never hit the road/ground and still been connected to my bike. Clipless pedals for some are a "mental issue" (fear of not being able to unclip) that has to be overcome .

I like these

I use exactly the same ones...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Any two-bolt shoes will do the job. Your choice what style but I find that the real MTB race shoes look too wanky for my normal uses - touring, commuting, frequent walking for sightseeing and such. I use a pair of Shimano MT33 shoes that look not too different to a pair of running shoes. There are a huge range available. Shimano and Look tend to suit my narrow foot, Specialized and Cannondale are better for wider feet.

Shimano MT33
Mandatory helmet law?