rangersac

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby rangersac » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Gets a 9.5 for that landing in my book.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Apparently the judges deducted a point because he took a backward step on landing but I think that is being a bit harsh.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:27 pm

chriscole wrote:
Ross wrote:http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... iving.aspx
Disqualified driver caught drink driving
Release Date: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 10:24 AM

ACT Policing has charged a 41-year-old Giralang woman with driving offences following a minor collision in Kambah yesterday (July 22).

About 6.10pm, a black BMW 318i sedan collided with a white Hyundai i40 station wagon, which had been stationary at a red light at the intersection of Drakeford Drive and Summerland, Kambah. No persons involved in the incident required medical treatment.

ACT Policing Traffic Operations members attended the collision and required a breath test from the driver of the black sedan, a 41-year-old Giralang woman. The driver refused and was taken into custody and conveyed to Tuggeranong Police Station. The woman then underwent a breath analysis, which returned a result of 0.172.

The woman was identified as being a disqualified driver, driving and unregistered vehicle and a repeat drink driving offender.
The 41-year-old Giralang woman will face the ACT Magistrates Court in relation to driving offences next month.

Police urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via http://www.act.crimestoppers.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Information can be provided anonymously.

Taking these people's licenses away achieves nothing.

Take their vehicle, auction it, use the money for something useful/beneficial for the community, someone else more deserving gets a cheap car, everybody wins.
Yes I agree. Doing a burnout is an offence where the car can be impounded, even though the driver may be stone cold sober and in complete control of the car, yet someone who is repeat DUI offendor and who has crashed the car while unlicenced and unregistered and high range PCA just gets a slap on the wrist. Laws are completely effed up.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Ross wrote:Yes I agree. Doing a burnout is an offence where the car can be impounded, even though the driver may be stone cold sober and in complete control of the car, yet someone who is repeat DUI offendor and who has crashed the car while unlicenced and unregistered and high range PCA just gets a slap on the wrist. Laws are completely effed up.
the reason has to do with what police and the courts perceive to be their role.

historically and as widely portrayed in popular culture, they have perceived themselves as using Good to fight against Evil. in the case of the burnout driver - this is a discrete act of Evil - the driver has, despite knowing that burnouts are Bad, elected to perform one anyway. cue the police and courts - flashing blue lights, court appearance and a stern dressing down from the magistrate, before being handed a punishment to make him think twice before pulling that stunt again. naughty hoon!

what the justice system has historically not perceived itself as - is as an institution to uphold standards of safety in society. this is a paradigm shift in thinking - one which moves on from punishing Bad Guys, to upholding and raising standards of behaviour in society - particularly that associated with negligence. the difficulty is that even Good People can be negligent - they don't mean to be Bad, they honestly had no intention of running over a cyclist while sending that SMS.

this is more difficult. the justice system is universally applauded for locking up Bad Guys, but ordinary, god-fearing (but negligent) Good People? not so easy to sell that one.

so the harmless burnout hoon gets the book thrown at him, while the mother-of-three who 'just didn't see the cyclist' before mowing him down gets off with barely a slap on the wrist.

it works for the justice system, or at least - those who work in it. (ok - that last bit was a bit nasty)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:29 pm

jules21 wrote:
Ross wrote:Yes I agree. Doing a burnout is an offence where the car can be impounded, even though the driver may be stone cold sober and in complete control of the car, yet someone who is repeat DUI offendor and who has crashed the car while unlicenced and unregistered and high range PCA just gets a slap on the wrist. Laws are completely effed up.

historically and as widely portrayed in popular culture, they have perceived themselves as using Good to fight against Evil. in the case of the burnout driver - this is a discrete act of Evil - the driver has, despite knowing that burnouts are Bad, elected to perform one anyway. cue the police and courts - flashing blue lights, court appearance and a stern dressing down from the magistrate, before being handed a punishment to make him think twice before pulling that stunt again. naughty hoon!

what the justice system has historically not perceived itself as - is as an institution to uphold standards of safety in society. this is a paradigm shift in thinking - one which moves on from punishing Bad Guys, to upholding and raising standards of behaviour in society - particularly that associated with negligence. the difficulty is that even Good People can be negligent - they don't mean to be Bad, they honestly had no intention of running over a cyclist while sending that SMS.

this is more difficult. the justice system is universally applauded for locking up Bad Guys, but ordinary, god-fearing (but negligent) Good People? not so easy to sell that one.

so the harmless burnout hoon gets the book thrown at him, while the mother-of-three who 'just didn't see the cyclist' before mowing him down gets off with barely a slap on the wrist.

it works for the justice system, or at least - those who work in it. (ok - that last bit was a bit nasty)
Whilst in principle I agree that the 'accident' is currently treated with a slap on the wrist I think the context for the discussion was in regard to repeat DUI offenders. Most of whom certainly fit in the same 'evil' category as hoons, but seem to be treated as people with a 'substance abuse issue'. As a result are treated more lightly than said hoons with regard to confiscation of vehicle becuasse the licence suspension punishment does not work.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:36 pm

jules21 wrote:

So basically we just need to have drink driving reclassified as a hooning offense?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 pm

bychosis wrote:Whilst in principle I agree that the 'accident' is currently treated with a slap on the wrist I think the context for the discussion was in regard to repeat DUI offenders. Most of whom certainly fit in the same 'evil' category as hoons, but seem to be treated as people with a 'substance abuse issue'. As a result are treated more lightly than said hoons with regard to confiscation of vehicle becuasse the licence suspension punishment does not work.
it's not just about punishment, though. i sympathise with using other measures for people who are not making rational choices - e.g. addicts. yes, i drifted a bit from the topic. my point was really about negligent accidents - DUI drivers - partiuclarly those battling addiction - haven't necessarily killed anyone yet, there is opportunity to correct their behaviour. that's not the case with 'accidents' - where the damage has been done. sending the driver to a driving course isn't going to bring back the dead body and more importantly - doesn't send a strong message to other motorists on the need to be more careful behind the wheel "if you kill someone while you're not concentrating - you could be made to take driving lessons!" doesn't really cut it.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Undertow wrote:
jules21 wrote:

So basically we just need to have drink driving reclassified as a hooning offense?
"Social-hooning", that could work.

Impound the car, shame the perpetrator.
inflammatory statement or idea

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
il padrone wrote:The Porsche badge ??
I wouldn't knock back a 911, but that thing is a pointless POS
That pointless thing is the very thing that keeps the company in business and makes money. It is also the best in its class.

Anyhow - the cyclist crashing on the Giant above (with PSLR wheels) seems like they will be called at fault by some door doing 35km/h... Can't believe the car driver didn't see the guy.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

This tops my sheer stupidity list. MGIF on the roundabout, cant wait a few seconds. BTX43C, driver didn't even react to my 'what are you doing?' at the top of my lungs.

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

"Video is unavailable" ??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
That pointless thing is the very thing that keeps the company in business and makes money. It is also the best in its class.
The sad thing is that there is that "class" of vehicle.
As I said earlier, with it's increased ride height it's going to be useless as a 4wd whilst it is saddled with those low profile tyres. Probably shake to bits on a corrugated road in any case.
The higher CoG and increased mass will negatively impact handling and performance. So what is it good for?
The only point I can see to it is because it is a bit higher you can see over the roof of the car in front and block the vision of those behind. You also stand more chance of killing anything you hit due to the increased mass.
I own a 4wd that gets used as a 4wd, which is why I own it, not to commute in, not to see over the top of other cars, or intimidate. Yet to see any Cayennes off road. If I do I'll be able to select low range and tow the crumpled, broken, pus bucket off the track to quietly go brittle in the sun.

(might have upset any cayenne owners with that review, sorry about that)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 pm

il padrone wrote:"Video is unavailable" ??
hadn't finished uploading, sorry.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 pm

bychosis wrote:This tops my sheer stupidity list. MGIF on the roundabout, cant wait a few seconds. BTX43C, driver didn't even react to my 'what are you doing?' at the top of my lungs.
and came from the wrong lane by the looks..

Andrew

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm

AFAIK the car was approaching me in the same lane as the lights changed, then decided to change left and use the wrong lane (not marked for right turn) to turn right at the roundabout. Initially I thought the driver was going to change to t he right lane, but go straight on and not turn right.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 am

warthog1 wrote: The sad thing is that there is that "class" of vehicle.
I agree. Useless as a 4wd. Useless as a sports car.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

Fantastic work by this officer, glad to see such a positive attitude towards the cyclists safety.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 am

awesome cop. kudos to him

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

warthog1 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
The sad thing is that there is that "class" of vehicle.
As I said earlier, with it's increased ride height it's going to be useless as a 4wd whilst it is saddled with those low profile tyres. Probably shake to bits on a corrugated road in any case.
The higher CoG and increased mass will negatively impact handling and performance. So what is it good for?
The only point I can see to it is because it is a bit higher you can see over the roof of the car in front and block the vision of those behind. You also stand more chance of killing anything you hit due to the increased mass.
I own a 4wd that gets used as a 4wd, which is why I own it, not to commute in, not to see over the top of other cars, or intimidate. Yet to see any Cayennes off road. If I do I'll be able to select low range and tow the crumpled, broken, pus bucket off the track to quietly go brittle in the sun.

(might have upset any cayenne owners with that review, sorry about that)

Some owners actually do take their Cayennes off road. For a while there was a option pack "PT2" (and it had to be ordered at time of build) that made it into a quite serious off-roader (suspension changes/sway bar changes, diff changes, underbody protection, additional fuel tank and other changes). That package gave it a lot of wheel travel. They did do a special edition that came with all that stuff as standard, but it is very rare -Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia:

http://www.automobilesreview.com/galler ... cow-05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.automobilesreview.com/galler ... cow-03.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (regular version)

26 of those were built I think, most of them going to the USA. Those ones probably did more off-roading than any of the usual heavy-duty off-roaders seen on the trendy high streets. The snorkel and the smaller wheels with bigger tyres were the only real differences over a normal version with option PT2. The Transsyberia rally cars had a mandated roll-cage as well. Otherwise they were as standard.

Cayennes of those times did have low-range modes already along with a very high ride height "gelände modus". I don't know about the current ones, but the original ones were full on off-roaders. Porsche wasn't sure if they should be doing a sporty SUV or a full off-roader, so they tried to do both, admirably well as it turned out.

As for the Police officer above - well done! 8)

Matthewb

Postby Matthewb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:46 am

lard wrote:This one from the UK is doing the rounds, lucky to get out of that with just a few bruises....

Article...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/cyclist-films ... 1609787773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice landing, it appears the windscreen is either fogged up or smashed in the glimpse near the end of the video - can't figure out which it is.

As usual the youtube comments are hilarious/depressing for both this and the tailgate/cop vids....

MVZOOM

Postby MVZOOM » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:54 am

** Repost! **
Cheers - Mike

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm

last night.. waiting at CBD intersection for lights to go green. hook turners are queued up in the intersection, waiting to turn right in my direction. light goes green, hook turners turn right, i take off behind them, then..... IDIOT AT BACK OF THEIR QUEUE DRIVES STRAIGHT THROUGH INTERSECTION - narrowly missing me. nice hook turn buddy. i was pretty chilled last night, otherwise i may have gone back to offer some driver education.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Negligence or malice?

Great Scott

Postby Great Scott » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Follow up story to the above video, from Bullard, Texas. The last para is a bit baffling from the police, they say he wasn't struck by vehicle, just by the trucks mirror??? (that's part of the vehicle isn't it!)

Update from the liveleak page:

From the Cyclist: I was clipped by a pickup's mirror, Monday 7/14/14 around 8:20 AM in Bullard TX This really is a little difficult to watch. The sounds are unedited. The video is in two parts, some from the rear facing camera and some from the front facing camera. Injuries sustained, n scapula, 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, and a gash to the head. Also various minor road rash spots. The front camera is a VIRB Elite, and the rear is a GoPro3 Silver.

EDIT: Thanks to wetherby for finding this article from Tyler Morning Telegraph: A bicyclist hit by a passing motorist’s mirror is recovering from his injuries after the Monday morning accident in Bullard.

Bullard Police Chief Gary Don Lewis said 57-year-old Mark Cathey of California was riding his bike on U.S. Highway 69 on the overpass at Farm-to-Market Road 344 when he was struck by the side mirror of a 2008 Ford F150 pickup driven by 52-year-old Samuel Vercher of Bullard. Lewis said Vercher, a custom home builder in the area, was traveling south when he struck Cathey, but did not know at first.

“He told us he looked back and saw a man lying on the ground so he stopped. And went to help,” he said.

Cathey, who was wearing a helmet, suffered a head injury, but police said he was standing and coherent at the scene.

Lewis said he believed Vercher would be cited for failure to maintain a single lane, however, the investigation was not complete at this time.

“We don’t know how close to the line the cyclist was traveling, but I must make it clear that the bike was not struck, it was the vehicle’s mirror that struck the cyclist,” he said. “He (Vercher) was very upset that he hit the cyclist he says he never saw.”

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Great Scott wrote:“We don’t know how close to the line the cyclist was traveling, but I must make it clear that the bike was not struck, it was the vehicle’s mirror that struck the cyclist,” he said. “He (Vercher) was very upset that he hit the cyclist he says he never saw.”
does that mean i can wrap a baseball bat around that police officer's head and it wasn't me that did it, the baseball bat did it all itself?