Seat height

michelle_s

Seat height

Postby michelle_s » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

Hi all,

So I googled what height my seat should be and changed it. It seems great while I'm riding but when I come back in after a while or so I have a lot of pain in the right side of my shoulder near my blade and I get a stiff neck and can't turn it fully. Should I put the seat up higher or lower?

mitzikatzi

Re: Seat height

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 am

Mat wrote:Damien Oldmeadow at Physiotherapy Solutions. He is a physio, has the bike trainer setup in there, works with lots of elite cyclists (including Chris Hoy when he is in Perth).

Unlike bike stores, he will look at your body and movements and then get your fit correct.

If you have private health cover, you can claim it!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39734&p=816591&hil ... ng#p816591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58085&p=875345&hil ... ng#p875345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Oh wow thanks

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm

shoulder/neck pain indicates too much weight is being supported by your hands

the cause is some combination of:
-saddle too far forward
-saddle tilted down
-handlebars too low

also could be a result of too wide handlebars
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Hmmm okay I might lower my seat a bit and see how I go. I can't afford a proper bike fit at the moment so I'll see what I can do.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 pm

michelle_s wrote:Hmmm okay I might lower my seat a bit and see how I go. I can't afford a proper bike fit at the moment so I'll see what I can do.
a proper bike fit is cheaper than months of physio and similar amount of time off the bike

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah of course it is but if I don't have the money for a bike fit I'm going to have to try and find a temporary solution.

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm

have a read over Steve Hogg's site and blog. plenty of info there to give you something to work from, Steve knows what he is talking about on the topic.
This article from his site is also a great source of info.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/art ... -injuries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

michelle_s wrote:Yeah of course it is but if I don't have the money for a bike fit I'm going to have to try and find a temporary solution.
I don't think I'd drop the saddle to fix a shoulder problem. Move it back and set it at the right height for your leg length and then adjust the bars.

Best quick method I know is to measure your inseam and multiply by 1.07. Your saddle should then be moved so that the distance from top of saddle to the pedal (bottom dead centre) is the figure you just worked out. It's not perfect, but it's close.

I'd then lift your bars. Shift a spacer or two to bring them up, and if necessary swap the stem so it angles up rather than down.

The problem with just dropping your saddle is it then means your legs don't get the chance to work properly, and you could be encouraging knee problems.

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Saddle height won't fix your issue, as said saddle height really is all about your legs. More often than not it will be bar height and reach. Sounds more like you have your bars too wide, or too much weight on them. try bringing them up with spacers and see. Also check your stem length as well.

As said, find the cash to do a proper fit, saves you a lot of time and potential for injury

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Make sure you know what you are doing before you change stuff. Steve hogg's website is a good place to start.

Aimlessly adjusting the bike is not good and will surely lead to injury.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Last time I was suffering from sore shoulders and arms I eventually tilted my saddle nose up a touch. Sore shoulders disappeared. I had been unconsciously slipping forwards and continuously using my arms to hold myself in position. With the saddle tipped up about 5-10 degrees I stay put on the seat.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 pm

+1 to all the previous comments re getting a proper bike fit, moving the seat back a few millimetres, tilting it up a little, raising the 'bars, and if necessary, reducing the stem length. Also, if you have a visor on your helmet, try riding without it. You won't need to raise your head as far to look forward, and this might take some of the pressure off your neck. Don't try changing everything all at once though, just change one thing at a time and then try riding a few k's to check the result.

If you want a rough guide to checking your seat height, try this: Start off out of the saddle. Then, with your foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke and your leg just comfortably bent, try sliding your seat under your butt. It should be a comfortable sliding fit. If you have to stand on tip-toe, or stretch, or tilt your hips (or the bike), then the seat is too high. If it's not a sliding fit, then the seat is probably too low.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 am

Perfect way to solve ALL cycling pains....see the light & come to the dark side...get a recumbent ;-)
You won't go back.

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:02 pm

recumbenteer wrote:Perfect way to solve ALL cycling pains....see the light & come to the dark side...get a recumbent ;-)
You won't go back.

http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't argue with that :-) :-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

rdp_au wrote:
recumbenteer wrote:Perfect way to solve ALL cycling pains....see the light & come to the dark side...get a recumbent ;-)
You won't go back.

Unless of course you like to participate in social or bunch rides, or like to race, or climb, or ride single track, or downhill mtb. :mrgreen:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
rdp_au wrote:
You won't go back.

Unless of course you like to participate in social or bunch rides, or like to race, or climb, or ride single track, or downhill mtb. :mrgreen:
I'm always up for social and bunch rides....social riders wait for me at the top of hills 8) ... I pass them going down the other side LOL :mrgreen:
Bunch rides....damn roadies are too slow on the flats... :P
Racing bents.... get all the "Classic Big Tour" riders on bents.... THEN we will see some climbing fun!!!! :shock:
Climbing bents.... 15 years riding 18kg bents.... I'd probably beat any DF rider uphill.... better technique... no standing on the pedals, I have much bigger thighs.. :lol: PMSL
Single track ..... meh! why bother.... I've just ridden my Rotovelo Across Australia.... I guess by doing THAT, it's a "single track" LOL
Downhill.....ALWAYS!! 8)
Downhill mtb.... "wateva" LOL :roll:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia