Bogans on petrol powered bikes

jasonc

Re: Bogans on petrol powered bikes

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

that's around the corner from me. happy to say i've never seen it on the road/paths

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Happy about the ban on these things, they are freakin' annoying, but Chris' comments about the appearance of these laws on the quiet IS concerning.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Xplora wrote:Happy about the ban on these things, they are freakin' annoying, but Chris' comments about the appearance of these laws on the quiet IS concerning.
+100
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Clara94

Postby Clara94 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am

Could not agree more on that

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:21 pm

yugyug wrote: why are they always beach cruisers or mountain bikes? Would love to see a road racer get the 2-stroke treatment....
The fulfilment of my dreams:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-ar ... 1056713123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(from the ebay thread)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:09 am

yugyug wrote:
yugyug wrote: why are they always beach cruisers or mountain bikes? Would love to see a road racer get the 2-stroke treatment....
The fulfilment of my dreams:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-ar ... 1056713123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(from the ebay thread)
Crikey, that really is a frankenbike!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

Built properly and ridden sensibly, petrol-powered bikes are not dangerous. In fact they put most of Europe back on wheels after WW2.

In fact, the very first Ducatis were petrol-powered bikes (the Cucciolo, see below).

Rather than banning them, I'd have preferred a standard to be introduced, and a minimum age for riders.

Built properly, using heavy-duty components, suitable tyres, LIGHTS and front disc brakes, these bikes are both safe and fun to ride.

But poorly-built BSOs knocked-together by teenagers, public ignorance/antipathy towards cyclists, and a hostile press has once again
seen the wrong (IMO) decision made.

EDIT: Just looking at that Repco, and no. Sorry. Weight is WAY too front-biased. That IS dangerous. Above the rear wheel is preferable
but BB-mounted like the Cucciolo is best for weight-distribution and stress on other components.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 am

Ah yes, that's the issue..there is already a standard though. it's called a motorbike :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Of course we as a society discourage motorbike use and scooter use as being too dangerous.. In many countries you can ride a scooter at a lower age than driving a car.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Here's one I'd certainly like to own, but I can't see myself riding it far, on or off-road...

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:56 pm

I understand the suggestion offered by The Fixer - Petrol Powered bikes can be safe if done properly. However this style of bike in society today has become a form of budget transport without safety and suitability considered. The trend has impacted upon enthusiasts and even brands prepared to build safer petrol powered bikes.
Cycling is in my BNA

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm

AFAIK the changes didn't prevent petrol powered bicycles. It simply states that petrol engined vehicles need to be registered... this is certainly a deal breaker considering that most don't want to actually be considered a motorbike.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Xplora wrote:AFAIK the changes didn't prevent petrol powered bicycles. It simply states that petrol engined vehicles need to be registered... this is certainly a deal breaker considering that most don't want to actually be considered a motorbike.
No, they're BANNED.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:24 pm

biker jk wrote:
Xplora wrote:AFAIK the changes didn't prevent petrol powered bicycles. It simply states that petrol engined vehicles need to be registered... this is certainly a deal breaker considering that most don't want to actually be considered a motorbike.
No, they're BANNED.
I read your post as they were fine as long as rego and licences applied. This must have meant 'motos and mopeds are ok'.

diggler

Postby diggler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:53 am

This is the best news I have heard in a long time.

Finally an issue we seem to have concensus on (almost).

I did notice however, that these bikes are still available for purchase. I have harassed ebay and gumtree not to list them any more. Not sure how much good that will do given they can be ridden on your property and they haven't been banned in all States.

I emailed a few companies advertising these things on the internet. They will probably ignore me, but it gave me a little satisfaction to stick it up them.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:35 am

biker jk wrote:
No, they're BANNED.
Hmm, so how does this affect previously legal petro-bicycles using powered wheels like the SACHS or (going back a bit) BSA units made by major and reputable manufacturers? Can they now be registered as mopeds or will the design laws require them to comply with all the paraphernalia a moped must have?
Also, how long before electric bikes become a nuisance and are banned? Quite a few can fly along at a fair old rate.

Richard

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

My guess is it won't be long before the bogan element turn to whacking a washing machine motor and a car battery on the famous southern star MTBSOs. (I know, 240v vs 12v, but I'm just making a point) see the Frankenstein conversion from one of my posts way back somewhere in this thread. It'll be that or they'll be buying cheapo bikes out of china with a silly size e-motor to get to work when the licence is gone. Problem is you won't be able to hear those coming from a mile off and people will be getting passed at 40km/h in silence.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 am

The Fixer wrote:Built properly and ridden sensibly, petrol-powered bikes are not dangerous. In fact they put most of Europe back on wheels after WW2.

In fact, the very first Ducatis were petrol-powered bikes (the Cucciolo, see below).

it is one of my dreams to own one of these little gems. i want to make a bicycle styled after the ducati green frame motorcycle of the 70's and power it with one of these. :P
steel is the real deal.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 am

diggler wrote: I did notice however, that these bikes are still available for purchase. I have harassed ebay and gumtree not to list them any more. Not sure how much good that will do given they can be ridden on your property and they haven't been banned in all States.

I emailed a few companies advertising these things on the internet. They will probably ignore me, but it gave me a little satisfaction to stick it up them.
There's the problem, they are illegal for use on the road, but it's still perfectly legal to sell them, on the assumption they're used on private property only (yea right).

WyvernRH wrote: Hmm, so how does this affect previously legal petro-bicycles using powered wheels like the SACHS or (going back a bit) BSA units made by major and reputable manufacturers? Can they now be registered as mopeds or will the design laws require them to comply with all the paraphernalia a moped must have?
Also, how long before electric bikes become a nuisance and are banned? Quite a few can fly along at a fair old rate.
Richard
LEGAL e-bikes are limited to 25kmh, so i can't see them being banned. The extra cost of electric setups would be a bit of a restriction to the bogan brigade at the moment, but you would assume the cost will come down.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

diggler

Postby diggler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:02 pm

bychosis wrote:My guess is it won't be long before the bogan element turn to whacking a washing machine motor and a car battery on the famous southern star MTBSOs. (I know, 240v vs 12v, but I'm just making a point) see the Frankenstein conversion from one of my posts way back somewhere in this thread. It'll be that or they'll be buying cheapo bikes out of china with a silly size e-motor to get to work when the licence is gone. Problem is you won't be able to hear those coming from a mile off and people will be getting passed at 40km/h in silence.
I don't know much about electronics. A car battery is heavy and it is also designed for a quick burst to start the engine and then recharge while it is driving. Would that be useful for an electric bike?

A Copenhagen Wheel is being advertised for a grand (not that they have ever shipped any out.) If a bogan could scrape together a grand, they would have a legal motorised bike.

I did notice ebay selling electric bike conversion kits for $200 with no battery included. 500W. I reported it to ebay but they will ignore me.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:25 pm

diggler wrote:
bychosis wrote:My guess is it won't be long before the bogan element turn to whacking a washing machine motor and a car battery on the famous southern star MTBSOs. (I know, 240v vs 12v, but I'm just making a point) see the Frankenstein conversion from one of my posts way back somewhere in this thread. It'll be that or they'll be buying cheapo bikes out of china with a silly size e-motor to get to work when the licence is gone. Problem is you won't be able to hear those coming from a mile off and people will be getting passed at 40km/h in silence.
I don't know much about electronics. A car battery is heavy and it is also designed for a quick burst to start the engine and then recharge while it is driving. Would that be useful for an electric bike?

A Copenhagen Wheel is being advertised for a grand (not that they have ever shipped any out.) If a bogan could scrape together a grand, they would have a legal motorised bike.

I did notice ebay selling electric bike conversion kits for $200 with no battery included. 500W. I reported it to ebay but they will ignore me.
It's not illegal to buy, own or build a bike with power over 200/250W. It's just illegal to use them in public places. Also, a lot of legal systems are capable of much greater power output, but are restricted via voltage reduction, hardware or firmware.

diggler

Postby diggler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:03 pm

lobstermash wrote:
diggler wrote:

It's not illegal to buy, own or build a bike with power over 200/250W. It's just illegal to use them in public places. Also, a lot of legal systems are capable of much greater power output, but are restricted via voltage reduction, hardware or firmware.
In reality they are not going to be used on private property. I wrote a whingy email to the transport minister to ban the sale of items which cannot be ridden legally on the road.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Unfortunately the bogans we are talking about will want the most powerful and budget priced kits. Leading to high power, low quality poorly built units to get them from a-b as fast and effort free as possible, just like the v8 commodore they lost their licence in. They are not going to be concerned about the legalities of the machine they choose to ride, until the are caught.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

diggler

Postby diggler » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 pm

If the bogans rev up their electric bikes, they will get banned too.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:27 pm

They aren't scared of being done on overpowered stinkbikes now, the only thing that'll keep 'em off kW spark burners will be cost.

But watch the price of black kits drop once the crackdown on stinkbikes happens...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011