Moron Motorists #3

HiChris

Moron Motorists #3

Postby HiChris » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm

I've theorised that riding wider on a single lane road will prevent close passes from all types of drivers and that has been working quite well so far. What it won't prevent is being killed by an inattentive driver who may just miss or glance past on a single lane road if you are riding left, I guess that is a bit of a lottery. It also doesn't help with the tailgaters who sit there and honk like the 1st idiot in the video.

Riding wider on a multi lane road won't stop the bogan jerks who shave past intentionally as in the second video. Not much you can do about those but either go to the police which has proved hit and miss, take matters into your own hands or just ignore it.

il padrone

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 pm

My experience, over many years, is that it does work. In almost all cases,if you have placed yourself out obviously wider, drivers will shift out and pass. It is the gutter-hugging approach that invites the close-shave. This applies on city streets, suburban roads, and country main roads.

Use with discretion of course - don't go and plonk yourself in the middle of the lane on a two-lane main highway. But do ride out far enough to establish an obvious presence. For example, when we rode the Princes Hwy along the Coorong, we rode here, to make sure the infrequent traffic changed lanes to pass:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm

After my short lunch time ride just now I have only hardened my impression that cyclists are largely invisible to motorists.

I had one girl turn right in front of me as I was turning left, so we ended up side by side in the same lane. I know she didn't see me because when she realised, she dropped right back and let me go ahead. Then I had a tradie in a ute turn right in front of me as I was going straight. Had to hit the brakes for that one. He probably did see me but I was a stationary object in his tiny mind. Anyway he now knows exactly what type of w@nker he is now :)

I both cases I was riding in the middle of the lane, with a flasher going on the front.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Rampant moronism on the Sunshine Coast. Must be all that UV pickling their brains :roll: :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I had a double on the one stretch yesterday morning. This is going along Qantas drive by Sydney Airport. There's a stretch of road going over the Cooks river where there is no cycle lane. I'd say 7 out of 10 times I don't brave the road and opt for the footpath, which leads into the cycle lane. The footpath route is very narrow and very bumpy. It's a real bone rattler. On this day I stayed on the road. Firstly, Mr Truck driver is upset that I'm on the road (I wasn't even an obstruction for him, as he was in the far lane). Then, a passenger leans out of his window to tell me to 'get off the road'. I wish he would have slowed down so I could exchange my viewpoint alas his advice went unchecked.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 pm

i think he actually said "keep going! you're flying!" :)

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:02 pm

jules21 wrote:i think he actually said "keep going! you're flying!" :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Rampant moronism on the Sunshine Coast. Must be all that UV pickling their brains :roll: :twisted:
I commute on that road, and calling it narrow is just the start of that woman's utter stupidity. There are only a couple of points (around the points south of Coolum, and at the southern end of the airport) where the road is a bit narrower but there is still no difficulty whatsoever in passing safely. Even if she was that incompetent, the Sunshine Motorway, which runs parallel to the David Low Way and has a 100kmh limit rather than 60-70, is banned to cyclists.

I think i'm a bit too angry about it at the moment but i'll certainly comment sooner or later, the stupidity is just too dangerous.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Rampant [url=http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news ... s/2429192/]moronism on the Sunshine Coast. Must be all that UV pickling their brains :roll::twisted:

Well, if this isn't the worst example of 'journalism' I have ever seen. Will call her tomorrow me thinks!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

TheWall wrote:Well, if this isn't the worst example of 'journalism' I have ever seen. Will call her tomorrow me thinks!
why bother, it's designed specifically to get attention of outraged cyclists. just ignore

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

jules21 wrote:
TheWall wrote:Well, if this isn't the worst example of 'journalism' I have ever seen. Will call her tomorrow me thinks!
why bother, it's designed specifically to get attention of outraged cyclists. just ignore
Agreed, not falling for clickbait.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Fair call.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Sure it's clickbait, but it's more than that. There's 166 comments on the facebook post now, the vast majority from hate filled morons baying for blood. This kind of "clickbait" kills people.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:17 am

Here is my moron for the afternoon.

I was riding along Malaga Drive Malaga, front light was on,time was around 5.45.
Not a lot of traffic on the road. I saw the ute heading down the road and realised quite late he wasnt going to stop. Luckily I knew there was no traffic beside me so I was able to take evasive action. He didnt hear me yell and was completely oblivious to the fact he almost cleaned me up.

Warning about the language.

http://youtu.be/9a9SrE11_Kw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:32 am

Jesus christ mate.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:11 am

johnny99 wrote:Here is my moron for the afternoon.

that's for the cops, for sure

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 am

I make the rego as 1DLK-199.

Dunno if WA has a rego check feature like NSW has to confirm the make/model with the plates.

Definitley should go to the cops though.

Kev.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 am

I was riding along Malaga Drive Malaga, front light was on,time was around 5.45.
Not a lot of traffic on the road. I saw the ute heading down the road and realised quite late he wasnt going to stop. Luckily I knew there was no traffic beside me so I was able to take evasive action. He didnt hear me yell and was completely oblivious to the fact he almost cleaned me up.

An example of a killer on the road.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 am

Unfortunuately Malaga becomes Bogan central on weekdays, good evasive action- pass that onto the cop shop to at least have it on record

That would be an example of mental blind spot (or DGAF / Delibrate)

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:19 am

I think his eyes were painted on that morning :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:39 am

Cripes that was close! Like someone has already said, good evasive action on your part.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 am

close is an understatement :shock:

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:37 am

I posted this on facebook and a work mate has asked me to pass details to his wife who is a police office and she is going to follow it up.

This was in the afternoon and a case of not looking as the driver was turning left onto Malaga Drive from Berringara drive.

When I posted this on Facebook I also included a link to the article about bikes and registration to try and get the message out.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

oh man..... you were almost creamed! thank god your spidey senses were working at full alert.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

I am happy to report that during my 56km ride this morning I encountered NO moron motorists. :!: :shock:
Ride was completely incident free. :mrgreen: