Drizt

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Drizt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Virb is bulkier than a gopro even with the extended battery

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Drizt wrote:Virb is bulkier than a gopro even with the extended battery
What is the run time with the extended battery?
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm

3hrs with official gopro backpac 401

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 am

Took a punt and ordered the Rideye, mainly due to battery life and price.
I contacted them about the vibration/mount issue and they responded quickly and positively. Until the new mount arrives (around a month they say) I'll McGyver a temporary solution.
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 am

Drizt wrote:Virb is bulkier than a gopro even with the extended battery
Size was not a concern as it is not going on a helmet. The GoPro 4 and VIRB are not really a valid comparison as the Gp4 is really a "Prosumer" level device (4k video etc), and is over 3 times the price of the VIRB.
I am comparing the VIRB to the new GoPro HERO@$179, which very closely matches the VIRB for features.
If you look at the Hero though, you'll note that I unlike all the other GoPros, you can't use any bacpacs with it, and the camera is permanently fixed in the housing. You can swap the back door, but that is all.

If I had a $600+ budget, the GoPro 4 would have been my choice. At $200 it is a different story.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 am

DriftHD Ghost :)

spirro

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby spirro » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 pm

There's a new firmware update for those who have he new Fly6 v2 on the Cycliq website.

https://cycliq.freshdesk.com/support/so ... e-new-fly6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 am

RIDEYE UPDATE

Wednesday saw a sprinkle of rain and more water ingress on one of my cameras.

I previously commented that Rideye was quick to respond to emails - I sent one last Sunday to discuss the battery life being so much shorter than they state, and the moisture ingress on one camera. I suggested that I have faulty hardware and wanted something done to sort it out. I also included a link to this thread as I felt I had been overall positive in my comments.

This email has gone un-answered, I followed up on Wednesday and yesterday, and I now know of three other people who have emailed and had quick responses within this same time frame.

This is a real shame as I'm also aware of at least two people who have ordered these cameras after reading my comments. Hopefully Rideye pull there finger out, at this point it's beginning to feel like they're not going to support what could be an very good product. Maybe I upset them by promoting their product...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

kx315

Postby kx315 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am

PiratePete wrote:RIDEYE UPDATE

Hopefully Rideye pull there finger out, at this point it's beginning to feel like they're not going to support what could be an very good product. Maybe I upset them by promoting their product...
Or their new product has lots of issues world wide and they are inundated trying to fix(just a theory not based on fact)......I would doubt that they would penalize you for talking about the product in a positive and constructive way.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

neild

Postby neild » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Went for a long ride today, 5 and a half hours. Had my Fly6 just in camera mode (i.e. without the rear lights working) and when I got home and turned it off there were 2 beeps, which from memory means 50% charge left. I'm actually pretty impressed by that. Would mean I could get up to 10 hours with just the camera working which is good.

Just need to sort out some better mounting options so I can use on my commuter with rack. I tend to use a rack top bag rather than panniers so non of the frankenfly options seem suitable at the moment.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 pm

I've received my Rideye. I haven't taken it out for a test ride yet but I have been doing some other tests. It definitely takes about 8 hours to charge but it does not have 15 hours of battery. I'd say just under 10. Which is still far better than my GoPros. Having to edit text files to change the configuration is rudimentary however it does the job. Setting the time, you have to edit a text file to change it. The video seems pretty sharp with a good focal length. It does appear to have a slight blue tinge in darker environments however it does cope with dark conditions well. I'll do some tests on the bike then post a review.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:47 pm

neild wrote:Just need to sort out some better mounting options so I can use on my commuter with rack. I tend to use a rack top bag rather than panniers so non of the frankenfly options seem suitable at the moment.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:454790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get that 3d printed, and Bob's your auntie (hey, I don't judge). Just got one made myself, yet to attach it though. Clips in well at least.
darkelf921 wrote:Having to edit text files to change the configuration is rudimentary however it does the job. Setting the time, you have to edit a text file to change it.
Same with the original Fly6, not sure about the updated smaller model. It'd be nice if it synced time with a computer when plugged in, but hey, the selling point for me was quality camera, waterproof, and long battery. This config & time setup thing is just a minor niggle I can live with.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:12 am

BastardSheep wrote:
neild wrote:Just need to sort out some better mounting options so I can use on my commuter with rack. I tend to use a rack top bag rather than panniers so non of the frankenfly options seem suitable at the moment.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:454790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get that 3d printed, and Bob's your auntie (hey, I don't judge). Just got one made myself, yet to attach it though. Clips in well at least.
darkelf921 wrote:Having to edit text files to change the configuration is rudimentary however it does the job. Setting the time, you have to edit a text file to change it.
Same with the original Fly6, not sure about the updated smaller model. It'd be nice if it synced time with a computer when plugged in, but hey, the selling point for me was quality camera, waterproof, and long battery. This config & time setup thing is just a minor niggle I can live with.
I can confirm that you still need to text input the date and time with the new Fly6 (I've owned both the new and old).

This is my current config where I can use the AS100V on the bike and then take it off when I need to use it for all the planes I don't jump out of. As you can see, I don't have a night capable light so I'll be jumping right on the Fly12 when it comes out. Loop recording and battery life are massive features as charging an actioncam regularly is a pain in the arse.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:17 pm

ItsDank wrote:
I can confirm that you still need to text input the date and time with the new Fly6 (I've owned both the new and old).

This is my current config where I can use the AS100V on the bike and then take it off when I need to use it for all the planes I don't jump out of. As you can see, I don't have a night capable light so I'll be jumping right on the Fly12 when it comes out. Loop recording and battery life are massive features as charging an actioncam regularly is a pain in the arse.
I know the fly 6 rear cam has issues with fixing to the front but as regards the permanent red light , would it be practical to just mask it with a bit of black tape?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:02 pm

outnabike wrote:
ItsDank wrote:

I know the fly 6 rear cam has issues with fixing to the front but as regards the permanent red light , would it be practical to just mask it with a bit of black tape?
For that kind of money you could get a Sony AS15 or AS20 (about $150 to $200), a second hand Gopro or the Virb. That or you can wait for the Fly12.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I've received my Rideye. I haven't taken it out for a test ride yet but I have been doing some other tests. It definitely takes about 8 hours to charge but it does not have 15 hours of battery. I'd say just under 10. Which is still far better than my GoPros. Having to edit text files to change the configuration is rudimentary however it does the job. Setting the time, you have to edit a text file to change it. The video seems pretty sharp with a good focal length. It does appear to have a slight blue tinge in darker environments however it does cope with dark conditions well. I'll do some tests on the bike then post a review.
When you got just under 10 hours what resolution did you have it set to?
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Been testing my VIRB and thus far I am pretty impressed. I haven't used it on the bike yet, but it is dead easy to configure, and the "flip camera" feature works as advertised, so no mucking about with upside down video to edit.
As an inactive GA Pilot, I am also pleased to see that you can get a few GA Headset loop cables to record the ATC and intercom and filter out the engine noise. The Prop Lens Filter is also a nice addition (they bundle both in an Aviation Kit).
Depending on how it goes, I may get a VIRB elite and run a front/rear combo, and if I ever get the chance to go flying I will get the extra bits to capture some great footage.
To be fair, I have seen some after market aviation kits for the GoPro as well, including the prop filter and headset loop.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 am

Hi cp123 - your microSD card might be one of the ones that came out of the factory without being formatted. You can solve this by using the on-board format function. The simple instructions can be found here (https://cycliq.freshdesk.com/support/so ... rosd-card-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) (sorry - don't know how to hyperlink). It will get your system up and running again.

By the way - we are testing a new firmware that will automatically solve this problem should it occur in the future.....we should have it available in the next week or so...

Cheers
Andrew Hagen, Cycliq, CEO

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Dr_Mutley, get in touch with Cycliq about your fly6, I think they can help if formatting isn't resolving it.
Thanks mate... I've had several issues with it so I eventually will when I get time... Their responses to my whines have always been helpful so I'll hit them up soon [emoji106]
Just send us an email to support@cycliq.com with your issues. We respond quickly and don't think we have had any people unhappy with our service. We understand there can be issues (we are a new company with a new(ish) product so things can happen) and so we just solve them....a quick email will get the issue resolved soon!

Cheers, Andrew Hagen

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:37 am

spirro wrote:Strange thing happened to my Fly6 this morning. Fully charged when I left this morning, went out for an 1.5hr and when I got home the thing was off (no lights flashing). Had a look at the footage and it looks like it switched itself off at around the 1hr mark. I know this thing was fully charged before I left cause I charged it after my last ride a couple of days ago. Any ideas? It's the new Fly6 version 2.
You may have engaged the incident protection software which will turn off the device if you have tilted the device over for more than 5 seconds. It should be working fine...in that case, you could have turned it back on when you heard the three loud beeps saying "I'm going to turn off now"!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:52 am

neild wrote:Went for a long ride today, 5 and a half hours. Had my Fly6 just in camera mode (i.e. without the rear lights working) and when I got home and turned it off there were 2 beeps, which from memory means 50% charge left. I'm actually pretty impressed by that. Would mean I could get up to 10 hours with just the camera working which is good.

Just need to sort out some better mounting options so I can use on my commuter with rack. I tend to use a rack top bag rather than panniers so non of the frankenfly options seem suitable at the moment.
Hi neild - the battery beeps are a loose indication, not an exact science. The battery life has many variables however we have had bench tests with the new Fly6 for up to 7.5 hours with the brightest flashing mode, at 22.5 degrees Celsius. With Fly6 Original, our specs, tests & theoretical analysis told us we would get 5 hours of battery life. So, we advertised 5 hours of battery life. What we found was that the variables would often render the battery less run-time than spec. So, with the new Fly6 we advertise "up to 6 hours" as we know the average battery life will achieve it. Batteries also deteriorate over time and not all batteries are exactly the same even though they are made in the same place by the same factory....like I said "many variables"!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Fly6 wrote: Hi neild - the battery beeps are a loose indication, not an exact science. The battery life has many variables however we have had bench tests with the new Fly6 for up to 7.5 hours with the brightest flashing mode, at 22.5 degrees Celsius. With Fly6 Original, our specs, tests & theoretical analysis told us we would get 5 hours of battery life. So, we advertised 5 hours of battery life. What we found was that the variables would often render the battery less run-time than spec. So, with the new Fly6 we advertise "up to 6 hours" as we know the average battery life will achieve it. Batteries also deteriorate over time and not all batteries are exactly the same even though they are made in the same place by the same factory....like I said "many variables"!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen
This is what makes for happy customers! I really like it when a manufacturer reports things like battery run time conservatively. Andrew, well done.

As you may have read I've purchased a couple of Rideye cameras and am struggling with a much shorter run time than advertised. In your typical tested with the new Fly6, have you performed a run time test with no LEDs on? I'm happy to run my Exposure light if it allows the camera to run for a longer duration.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Andrew - can we have a hint at the kickstarter date and price? :D

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 pm

PiratePete wrote:
Fly6 wrote: Hi neild - the battery beeps are a loose indication, not an exact science. The battery life has many variables however we have had bench tests with the new Fly6 for up to 7.5 hours with the brightest flashing mode, at 22.5 degrees Celsius. With Fly6 Original, our specs, tests & theoretical analysis told us we would get 5 hours of battery life. So, we advertised 5 hours of battery life. What we found was that the variables would often render the battery less run-time than spec. So, with the new Fly6 we advertise "up to 6 hours" as we know the average battery life will achieve it. Batteries also deteriorate over time and not all batteries are exactly the same even though they are made in the same place by the same factory....like I said "many variables"!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen
This is what makes for happy customers! I really like it when a manufacturer reports things like battery run time conservatively. Andrew, well done.

As you may have read I've purchased a couple of Rideye cameras and am struggling with a much shorter run time than advertised. In your typical tested with the new Fly6, have you performed a run time test with no LEDs on? I'm happy to run my Exposure light if it allows the camera to run for a longer duration.
Hi Pete - we have done all sorts of tests but only publish "up to 6 hours" as we wanted to make a 'real' estimate for the purposes of marketing. We (perhaps like you) just hate when we base a purchasing decision on something only to find it does not perform anywhere near that in real life. Even tho, we have had just over nine (9) hours with the camera recording (with no flashing lights), we don't advertise "9 hours" because we think that most people will want the lights on - that's what we advise as our run-time (based on the brightest setting of flashing lights).

I would like to say in defense of Cedric (he might not read this forum) is that bringing a product to market in no easy task and to do what he has done is a massive achievement. I would bet he has spent four times what he raised on Kickstarter to get to where he is. To his credit, he delivered a better device than he proposed in his campaign. Delivering it late is not great but having gone through the process nearly three times, I can fully understand how it can happen when you rely on so many external parties.

We are confident we can deliver all the features and functions we are proposing for Fly12 but you have to understand, there are soooooo many hurdles and so much risk. Luckily we have delivered two products already so we are very confident we can put Fly12 in your hands making you a happy jelly bean!

Cheers
Andrew Hagen