Video Camera who uses one?

InnerCityBoy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby InnerCityBoy » Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 pm

myforwik wrote:
jasonc wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:For example I just use 720p on my mobius and I can read numberplates much further back than 4.8m.
as long as the ride doesn't go longer than 60 minutes :mrgreen:
I use a external battery back, just some 5000mahr card shaped thing with a mobile phone like battery in it. With that i can get 10 hours :-)
Hi myforwik (and other Möbius users)

I bought a Möbius a couple of years ago as a safety cam for my bike but stopped using it due to the short battery life and the pain of having to manually wipe the card every week. I want to give it another go with an external battery pack, my thinking is to leave the möbius 'permanently' mounted to the handlebars and remove / recharge the external battery once a week.

Am keen to hear more about what is working for you to:
- waterproof the camera. Am tossing up between Joovuu's hard case and the rubber version from möbius-actioncam.com. Either way, I want something a little more elegant than glad wrap or rhino tape!
- resolution. From the comments here, am getting the impression that the 720p mode gives the best clarity for (eg.) identifying number plates; is that right or have I misread?
- loop recording. I didn't realise the möbius could be configured to loop over old recordings, am almost positive mine stopped recording when the card got full. Is that something I configure in the möbius PC app? I suspect this feature might have been introduced after I bought mine and will require a firmware update
- card capacity. How much footage can I expect to capture on a 32gb card in loop mode?
- finally, front or rear. More of a general question but if you only have one cam and you are using it for safety, which way would you point it?

If my setup works, my next step will be to buy a second möbius and connect it to the same additional battery pack. The one I have, which is for a mobile phone, has two USB outputs so as long as the capacity is enough to power both I have a very simple solution. Also, by setting the cameras to dash cam mode (so they start recording automatically when external power is connected) I simply plug / unplug at each end of the ride, not buttons required! At least, that's the plan ...

Cheers - Sim

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm

jasonc wrote:we sent it to icloud but it's not appearing there. looking like i can't get it off the idevice

ah i love idevices
Got a cable and a computer you can plug it into? You should be able to copy normal video files off that way. Not sure if the app's video files will be accessible though?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Mububban wrote:
jasonc wrote:we sent it to icloud but it's not appearing there. looking like i can't get it off the idevice

ah i love idevices
Got a cable and a computer you can plug it into? You should be able to copy normal video files off that way. Not sure if the app's video files will be accessible though?
If its not then you go into itunes and view it there. It will also ask if you want to save to the computer/elsewhere.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon May 02, 2016 1:48 pm

InnerCityBoy wrote: Am keen to hear more about what is working for you to:
- waterproof
- resolution?
- loop recording.
- card capacity.
- finally, front or rear.?
Cheers - Sim
- Waterproof - Rhino tape (cmon - its clean, neat & works really REALLY well - are you using a heat gun to mold it perfectly?), and also conformal coating. Search for a silicone conformal coating, open up the mobius & paint it on everything (except inside the power & SD slots). You'll lose audio with a hard case (which is normally me swearing anyway)
- resolution, yeah i'm back at 720p with high video rate & seems to be the best bet. there's a few pages around with "best mobius settings" for video to look at, mostly chopper pilots :)
- loop - yep can set it in the msetup application, works well - i just set it up on mine
- card capacity - i run with 16gb & its fine for 2-2.5 hrs at least (2 trips for me)
- front/rear - both! i always run both

Run time - there's the new models with come with the upgraded 850mAh battery, the old ones could *just* do over an hour, i've done at least 1.5hrs on mine i think.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon May 02, 2016 4:08 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:dropbox.
i have a onedrive account.
:roll:
Typical Microsoft response...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon May 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi myforwik (and other Möbius users)

I bought a Möbius a couple of years ago as a safety cam for my bike but stopped using it due to the short battery life and the pain of having to manually wipe the card every week.
- waterproof the camera.
Cheers - Sim[/quote]

InnerCityBoy, and welcome,

I just wrap mine in some plastic cling wrap but here they sell a cover for under ten dollars delivered.

http://www.banggood.com/Mobius-Camera-A ... ign=fpv-au
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 02, 2016 4:23 pm

OK, I've finally launced into the world of action cams. Finally mounted and tested my Sony HDR-AS20 using my DX K-Edge alloy copy mount (1/10th the price and still works brilliantly except when you don't tighten the screws .....).

Initially set on 1080p (AT) 30fps and works great. About 2 hrs recording time and used 12.5GB on a 64 GB card.

Mounted it front & rear and it works well.

Coupla questions ;

1 - If I use a different recording resolution, does battery life change ?
1a - conversly, if I up it to max resolution & fps, is battery life less ? (Obviously memory lasts less time, but is the video better ?)
2- Anyone know if I can turn off the sound as it doesn't record anything useful ?
3 - I've seen some dodgy methods of extending battery life and can't seem to find any batterys that are genuainely longer life (the labelling doesn't prove anything), so if someone can offer a suitable solution, I'm all ears ?

Thanks

Michael B

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Is the lack of recording time (battery life) on other options the reason people are willing to pay a premium for the fly 12?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 02, 2016 8:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:Is the lack of recording time (battery life) on other options the reason people are willing to pay a premium for the fly 12?
Single button, water proof, long battery life, simple to mount, and a light to boot

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Is the lack of recording time (battery life) on other options the reason people are willing to pay a premium for the fly 12?
Single button, water proof, long battery life, simple to mount, and a light to boot
Thanks. :)

By far the longest run time?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Based on my experience with the FLy6, to the above I would add:
* hassle free video file management (automatically overwrites oldest files, no need for manual deletion to avoid running out of storage)
* no need to fluff about with a water housing, which to date has meant
* no issues with the housing fogging up in humid conditions, which has meant
* no fluffing about with water absorption strips

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my unit.

InnerCityBoy

Postby InnerCityBoy » Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 am

outnabike wrote:I just wrap mine in some plastic cling wrap but here they sell a cover for under ten dollars delivered. <snip>
Thanks Outnabike, I'll look up that cover. BTW have been following with interest your punishment pass thread, so glad we now have a 1/1.5m passing law in NSW.
Nate wrote:Run time - there's the new models with come with the upgraded 850mAh battery, the old ones could *just* do over an hour, i've done at least 1.5hrs on mine i think.
I get just over an hour on my (non-upgraded) Mobius BTW Nate, and thanks for your advice, I don't even know what Rhino tape is but will look it up :D

That said, am still interested to know thoughts on whether back or front is the best choice for a 'safety cam' set-up, given I only have one at the moment ...

InnerCityBoy

Postby InnerCityBoy » Tue May 03, 2016 8:03 am

trailgumby wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my unit.
I have to say the Fly units look very impressive, the Mobius is definitely a less-elegant solution and requires more stuffing around to extend batter life, configure and waterproof. But I can't get past the expense ... if there was a basic version of the Fly with front and rear set for $250-300 (no built-in lights, smaller front with reduced run-time an OK trade-off) I'd be there. Ditto I'd pay the same for a couple of bigger Mobius (Mobii?) with bigger built-in battery and waterproof casing.

I have no doubt options like this will exist in the not too distant future. :D

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue May 03, 2016 12:18 pm

InnerCityBoy wrote: But I can't get past the expense ... if there was a basic version of the Fly with front and rear set for $250-300 (no built-in lights, smaller front with reduced run-time an OK trade-off) I'd be there.
I'm 100% with you on that...
i love to tinker though - so its easy for me i guess!

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue May 03, 2016 12:20 pm

InnerCityBoy wrote: That said, am still interested to know thoughts on whether back or front is the best choice for a 'safety cam' set-up, given I only have one at the moment ...
its 6 in one & half doz in the other IMHO.
getting rear ended/close follows, vs close passes & being cut off... thats why i run both!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Nate wrote:
InnerCityBoy wrote: But I can't get past the expense ... if there was a basic version of the Fly with front and rear set for $250-300 (no built-in lights, smaller front with reduced run-time an OK trade-off) I'd be there.
I'm 100% with you on that...
i love to tinker though - so its easy for me i guess!
The build quality of both units is good. I can see a new Fly6 in their future with all the wizz-bangery of the Fly12. Me - I'd be happy to lose some of the fancy stuff for a user replaceable battery.
Cycliq - those of us who bought the Fly6 units on the kickstarter are starting to have degraded reduced battery performance. Is the battery soldered in? 4 screws. suppose it wouldn't take too much to find out...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:Based on my experience with the FLy6, to the above I would add:
* hassle free video file management (automatically overwrites oldest files, no need for manual deletion to avoid running out of storage)
* no need to fluff about with a water housing, which to date has meant
* no issues with the housing fogging up in humid conditions, which has meant
* no fluffing about with water absorption strips

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my unit.
Thanks. I want something that just works with a minimum of fiddling around. It sounds like it's worth the extra money for that and the battery duration.
I'll start with the fly 6. Once I demonstrate to my wife how useful it is in capturing the actions of cretinous or malicious motorists she might approve a 12.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:I'll start with the fly 6. Once I demonstrate to my wife how useful it is in capturing the actions of cretinous or malicious motorists she might approve a 12.
No. She'll sell all your bikes and the closest you'll get to riding is watching the TdF on TV

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I'll start with the fly 6. Once I demonstrate to my wife how useful it is in capturing the actions of cretinous or malicious motorists she might approve a 12.
No. She'll sell all your bikes and the closest you'll get to riding is watching the TdF on TV
Not sure, there is a substantial death and disability benefit attached to my superannuation scheme :( :lol:

She's actually come around to being fairly supportive of my riding over the years and is pretty vocal when I tell her about bad driver behavior. 8)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue May 03, 2016 5:06 pm

InnerCityBoy wrote:
That said, am still interested to know thoughts on whether back or front is the best choice for a 'safety cam' set-up, given I only have one at the moment ...
When I used only the one cam I always put it on the back, But it was the Sony and has excellent anti shake video, very impressive. All the punishment pass video front camera is the Mobius as I have it helmet mounted for the least shaky spot. I find the Mobius too shaky a pic to mount on a bike, but i hate shaky video. I do ride with my tyres down a bit to assist and aid in comfort as well.

As far as extending battery life on a Mobius goes it can be done in a couple of ways and I don't like either. I have seen video of the thing being dismantled and wires solders on internally and then attached to an external battery.

Or on the Bangood site under Mobius a set of leads can be bought that go from the USB connector to a battery. (around $5-00 delivered)

The caveat is that video taking consumes more power than the USB connection can replace. And if you are tempted to up the power input it will fry the camera.

There is no doubt that the fly cameras are the way to go for good battery life in the long run. What I would like to see is a lens that is polarized to not only improve the pic but also see the offending driver as well.

In my experience a driver not recognized can get away scott free as the police just love that situation. The car belonged to a woman who just didn't know who was driving her car on the day.

I mean it is the favorite excuse that cops themselves use. When caught going unnecessarily through a red......They suddenly don't know which officer is the culprit.....Both are innocent.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue May 03, 2016 7:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:dropbox.
i have a onedrive account.
Hey Jase, this post popped into my mind today while I was at a work. I've just checked to confirm it. If you install the Onedrive app on the iPad then go to share your video clip from the Fly12 app, Onedrive should be in the list of icons. If it's not then click on 'More' (right end of icon list) and switch the option on. Problem sorted.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Hmmm, with all the testing that I did for Cycliq with the Fly12, my wife got to see several bits of footage that to be completely honest she would have preferred to be ignorant of. This has lead to several threats of banning me from riding "like the other wives do..." Deep down she knows that the more she says such things, the more I will do the opposite. :D

I have changed my behaviour though, and now watch the close encounters by myself, and only show her the pleasant bits...

As far as which end of the bike to prioritize for a camera? Logic says the rear is of higher importance, I've captured more near misses with the front though. And I've had several where I've really needed both to get a plate or to show the full story. My advice, bight the bullet, buy cameras for both ends.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks Pete. I like "the more I do the opposite" strategy :lol:
I probably won't show her the worst bits, but I'll use the safety line to justify the purchase. Then once I have the rear I'll tell her how necessary the front is as I couldn't quite catch the plate with the rear. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 03, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks Pete. Will try that next time I can get on an iPad around here

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 03, 2016 10:18 pm

It is curious not to want to over dramatise the threat to life - I am the same way after shocking behaviour by motorists who are not sharing the road and jeopardise my safety. Is this something good to share with loved ones? I don't feel that it encourages them to support me when I want to ride my bike.

But I am still better off with the cameras and the police reports are important because when they take notice and it is a problem - we should see more interest and action.
Cycling is in my BNA