What are your favorite cycling glasses?

Too Tired

Re: What are your favorite cycling glasses?

Postby Too Tired » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 pm

I guess that explains why I can't find them.

I saw these a few months ago and after posting earlier today I got notification they are one sale:

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produc ... NW20.email
The cyclist formally known as AusTrinity

Requirements:
Cycling: A bike
This forum: A thick skin and witty retorts

jemima

Postby jemima » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Too Tired wrote:I'm in the market for some cycling glasses. Lost my last pair down La Perouse way.

I ride a tri bike and in the aero position I am looking through or over the top bar of most glasses. So something frameless and/or tall would work well. I tried on some Oakley Prizm Roads and they were good but at over $300 a bit on the expensive side.

I'm researching some of the options mentioned in this thread, Project Rudy Rydons and Tayos, but open to any other recommendations.
I finally bit the bullet and purchased something similar: Smith Pivlock V2 Max.

I did find a shop which had the regular depth frames and the Max, to compare fit/coverage.
Ended up purchasing through ebay, as the shop had very limited range.
Yes, they can be expensive but I'm very happy.

Note, that if you're chasing the Max photochromatic lense, you'll have to source it individually.

diventare

Postby diventare » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Safety glasses Bunnings. No catwalk kudos but would stop a bullet.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 am

I saw ride glasses at a Melbourne bike expo a few years back that had inner prescription lenses mounted on a separate frame (like the old-fashioned pince nez) that clipped into the primary frame behind the main tinted lenses.
Because I was as broke as a Sao biscuit at the time and already had a pair of Osiris ride glasses from SpecSavers (their own brand) I went about my merry way but kept the notion of the other specs in mind.
Two weeks ago, with my regular glasses in need of replacement and my daggy brown Osiris specs set to get their fourth pair of script lenses in seven years, I casually mentioned the cool sunnies I had seen at the Melbourne bike show.
"Hang on," says the SpecSavers man, "I saw something like that the other day when I was cleaning-out the storeroom."
So off he trotted and five minutes later came back with a sexy pair of Puma wraparounds (in red and black to match my eyes) with interchangeable tinted lenses and the prescription lenses mounted in an easily removable separate frame.
The good news is they are comfortable, well made and, I think, quite robust. The bad news is they are now a discontinued line so anyone thinking of asking their optometrical supplier for a pair may be out of luck. Although there might well be other brands available.
The best news though is that because of the SpecSavers two-for-one policy they pretty much cost me nothing (technically at least) and that is really good for those who have to justify an expensive pair of sunnies to She Who Holds The Purse Strings.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bigfut

Postby bigfut » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Mine are Oakley Flak 2.0 XL
I run two lenses, either photochromic or polarised depending on the ride.

Good fit and lasting so far....

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:57 pm

softy wrote:Don't under estimate the good old "safety glasses" yes this is what i use. I have found them to be superior for almost every application.

they have to meet specific clauses in Australian Standards, have a read it will blow your mind the criteria. Optical compliance as well as impact compliance. The ones that have foam to limit particles getting in have to meet other clauses. So what do safety glasses offer:

Lower cost
bifocals
impact ratings
elastic bands (so helmet doesn't pish on the arms)
Different tints
foam edging (prevents drafts coming over the glasses in the aero position)
Changable arms from elastic to plastic
anti flash
high visibility at night yellow lenses.

just take your pick from a fifth of the price.......
Agree. Ray's Outdoors here in Newcastle have clear & tinted Bolle safety glasses for $24.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:22 am

My only problem with some safety glasses I've picked up from Bunnings are excessive fogging - are there any that are decent on the anti-fogging front and can be recommended?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Picked up some prescription Oakley Valve glasses the other week. Not cheap, but health insurance will take a dent out (once I get it sorted). Fit and style is great, excellent optics, no problems staying put nor issues with the top rim when the head is down. Best thing I can say is that most of the time I don't even think about them while riding.

Went for clear/grey transition lenses, great for night time but they don't darken up much in the daylight; still, in use that isn't really an issue that you notice in use. (Next time I might go for the black iridium coating which goes from a mild reflective tint to a darker shade, but apparently still fine for night use.)

Wingz

Postby Wingz » Tue May 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Picked up a pair of Austin Carbons at the Gran Fondo Worlds in Perth; does anyone have an idea where I could get my prescription ground into the lenses? Seems most optometrists send their stuff to India or China for the custom work and that takes weeks. TIA.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue May 10, 2016 5:47 pm

i have a pair of Oakley half Jackets, prescription, 1 pair grey tint and 1 pair clear (I broke the little tab, so had to superglue the grey lenses in the frame, so bought a 2nd frame for the clear). that I've had for nearly 10 years.
Also have some Racing Jacket in photocromatic that are great, that i got last year.

Also have some carbon plates and gassers, so a bit of an Oakley fanboy.

I used to have some Bolle Edges with the clip in lense, they were OK but terrible terrible fogsweat magnets

Also had razor blades...with old glasses lense blue tacked in to race DH...they actually work... poorly.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

dontazame

Postby dontazame » Fri May 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Too Tired wrote:ooo, these look like they could be good:
http://au.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses ... =OO9327-01
Interesting, but wonder about fogging compared with vented Oakley EVs. Anyone?

nsr0772

Postby nsr0772 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Haven't ridden them yet but I tried a set on in the shop and the fit was awesome. Will be buying them ASAP. 216 bucks for the prizm road lenses. So light on the face.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Old mate bought me a pair of Foakleys ....jawbreaker style. Even has the paper to remind you to register them :lol: I can't tell the diff between them and my real ones :lol:

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sun May 29, 2016 8:42 pm

fat and old wrote:Old mate bought me a pair of Foakleys ....jawbreaker style. Even has the paper to remind you to register them :lol: I can't tell the diff between them and my real ones :lol:
I'm now up to 3 pairs of "Radar EV". Genuine Oakley lenses fit them perfectly (I like my photochromics this time of year). No need to change ear socks/logos when I'm bored, now I just grab another pair from the cupboard :lol:

roosta

Postby roosta » Mon May 30, 2016 10:59 pm

I'm using "Rockbros Cycling glasses" from ebay. Multiple interchangeable lenses, comes with separate prescription insert (and optical superstore fitted my prescription lenses no problems) and a few accessories like straps and extra nose pieces. $25 plus a few bucks for delivery.
Cheap, but look like most other cycling glasses (from a distance, anyway). I guess i'll find out how good they really are after my first crash.
88 Graecross Pathfinder
89 Southern Cross Decathelon MKII
95 Giant YukonSE
96 Shogun Trailbreaker 3
09 Shogun Katana