Magpies

Procat

Re: Magpies

Postby Procat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 am

Nate wrote:i wave my hand above my head when i'm in the area... works 100% of the time & they dont swoop when i'm doing that.
Tried that once. Just made him more angry. :(
Doug

uart

Postby uart » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 am

g-boaf wrote: Keep your head down, ride smoothly, hold your line so you don't crash into anything or anyone.
^This.

TBH I think the fear about them taking an eye or an ear is a bit overblown. They always swoop you from behind and for me the worst that ever happens is one trying to peck at the bits of my hair sticking up through the slots in my helmet.

Also, waving an arm above your head does work to some extent. I doesn't always stop the attack completely (unless you continually wave it for the entire encounter), but they're not stupid and once they see an arm up there it definitely makes them more cautious. Once I know one is starting to swoop I like to wave my arm once or twice while the bird can see it and the subsequent attack is usually less aggressive, often involving only clapping of wings and no actual contact.

Not necessarily practical I know, but one other thing that might work is to ride with someone who's physically a lot bigger than yourself. There's been one particularly aggressive maggie in Clyde st Newcastle (Hamilton) this season, but when my wife and I ride together it seems to focus 100% of it's attention on me and completely ignore her. She thinks that it's something to do with the colour of our helmets, but I'm almost certain that it just sees me as the biggest threat that needs chasing off, me being physically larger.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm

TBH I think the fear about them taking an eye or an ear is a bit overblown.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-10-14/m ... ack/541618

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 1klwd.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... b1ecd5211e

You might also want to take a look here: http://www.magpiealert.com/MagpieAttackInjuries.php

Our Cemetery Bird has drawn blood from ears and he knocked one guy's glasses off his face. We don't know if it was going for his eye but he might have been lucky because he copped a scratch on the temple just near the corner of his eye.

You'll also find plenty of photos on here or bloodied ears. They can be nasty little buggers.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:03 pm

silentC wrote: You might also want to take a look here ...
Dam, I knew someone was going to counter my anecdotes with actual facts. :D

It's true though, I did know of several cases where very young children were badly injured by them. They are much more vulnerable.

Now as for me, with my 10cm thick Neanderthal skull, and riding the drops with the back of my head the only viable target. I'm still happy to pretty much ignore them and take my chances. :)

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:33 pm

I think it depends a lot on the bird. Ours has a couple of targets that he really doesn't like and he will draw blood. One guy in particular has had his ear cut a couple of times, whereas with me he's happy to just slam at full pelt into the back of my head, and other riders he leaves alone.

I think you'd be unlucky to sustain eye damage, especially if you wear good glasses, but the little buggers WILL go for the eye if they decide you're a big enough threat.

The two people put in hospital that I know of have fallen off after hitting a tree root. That's something that can happen with or without the bird chasing you.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:25 pm

uart wrote:TBH I think the fear about them taking an eye or an ear is a bit overblown.
Oh - you think so?

Others know better.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm

All part of spring and really not a lot you can do. They always seem to know when you are off thinking of something else so keeping the day dreaming away is a good start.
If they really start to get you down, just rig up your stationary bike trainer under the hills hoist and take it out on something like this...
http://www.pinatacenter.com/bomb-angry-birds-pinata

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:19 pm

really not a lot you can do
I'm telling ya, the selfie stick works! The only time I have ever been swooped with it was when I packed it away too soon and the little sod took his chance to give me a kick up the backside as I went out the door.
- Me

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 pm

RonK wrote:
uart wrote:TBH I think the fear about them taking an eye or an ear is a bit overblown.
Oh - you think so?

Others know better.
Well said Ron, I have been left a bleeding wreck with said maggie hanging off me ear. Some of our members are in fairy land till it happens to them.....You blokes reckon a tap on the helmet is all they do? Do a search of their attacks please.

I am thinking of getting a base ball helmet for Maggie time. I reckon the cops wont know the difference. I did consider a couple of rat traps on the sides, but they might do to much damage to my fingers.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Here are a couple of awesome photos posted by a mate a couple of days ago!

The second one is the shadow of the cemetery bird. The first one is a nasty little bugger also but I don't ride that way.
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:18 pm

RonK wrote: Oh - you think so?
Others know better.
Ok, it looks like I've been a bit too blase about what damage those pesky birds can do, and I've probably been over estimating how much my helmet protects me.

Ha! Another case of mandatory helmet laws leading to increased risk taking, and ultimately putting me at greater risk of injury. ;)

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:29 pm

wombatK wrote:
djw47 wrote:I'd rather have a flock of them attack me and leave me a bleeding corpse than be seen with cable ties sticking out of my lid.
Well, try just one cable tie :D

It's a judgement call whether losing a part of an ear or a whole eye looks more cool than a cable-ties look, but I can vouch for the efficacy of just one cable tie of 30 cm length mounted on each side of the helmet just behind the ear.
I'll take my chances with the magpies over looking like a dick any day of the week :lol:

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Spaniel wrote: A flashing rear helmet light didn't stop me being absolutely smashed by the M7 psycho magpie a few years back.
i'm not talking about a red rear flashing thing - i'm talking a blinding xenon flash..
something like:

and yep arm waving = much be done for the whole length of the swoopy goodness!

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Nate wrote:
Spaniel wrote: A flashing rear helmet light didn't stop me being absolutely smashed by the M7 psycho magpie a few years back.
i'm not talking about a red rear flashing thing - i'm talking a blinding xenon flash..
something like:

and yep arm waving = much be done for the whole length of the swoopy goodness!
A blinding Xenon flashing thingy might work against your average magpie, but I suspect not against the M7 psycho magpie. We need kryptonite against that bird.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:23 pm

i'm talking a blinding xenon flash
That will make you popular with other commuters!
- Me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I copped a helmet hit this afternoon. Where is the bird strike thread?
This one is on the western fwy bike way outbound just after witten Rd. This one is going to rack up some hits

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 pm

They are only doing this by instinct, really just stop, stand your ground, you may lose a minute or 3 on your journey, though the interaction is simply just worth it.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 pm

StevOz wrote:They are only doing this by instinct, really just stop, stand your ground, you may lose a minute or 3 on your journey, though the interaction is simply just worth it.
Not in my experience. You can stop and keep and eye on em for as long as you like but once you turn your had away and move on the bird will resume the attacking.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:20 pm

koshari wrote:
StevOz wrote:They are only doing this by instinct, really just stop, stand your ground, you may lose a minute or 3 on your journey, though the interaction is simply just worth it.
Not in my experience. You can stop and keep and eye on em for as long as you like but once you turn your had away and move on the bird will resume the attacking.
Yes, quite so.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 pm

RonK wrote:
koshari wrote:
Yes, quite so.
First and then lessened attack second encounter, third time has always worked for me with a slow down and stop, then next year around they just by don't bother, well I've known one the year after that did, then only the once then never again.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 pm

I second Nate's suggestion to wave one hand behind your head/back while gripping the tops of the bars near the stem with the other hand so that you really can turn your body around a good 90 degrees, if it's really aggressive, to see and swipe at or grab at the bird with some accuracy if he tries to get too close. I can't remember for sure, but I think I've made contact with my hand once or twice. Mostly just waving it around behind your head seems to put them right off. If you're unenthusiastic or inflexible with the waving, they can come at you from the opposite side of the arm you're waving. (Don't forget to watch where you're going while doing this! :o )

I have been getting a little lax with doing this but after seeing that photo of that guy's eye damage, I think I'll resume my former vigilance! It never occurred to me one might land on my helmet and try to get under my glasses. I've been hit on the glasses with a loud snap; they definitely go for the eyes. I wouldn't like to go near them on a bike without protective glasses.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Obviously this doesn't work on all magpies. Because the magpie continues to attack or come at you while you are stopped and watching it. I knew just the magpie for you to try your theory on. But fortunately for everyone else, I think it was destroyed.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:46 pm

First fun thing caught on my Fly12:
https://vimeo.com/181735122

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:19 pm

li2099 wrote:First fun thing caught on my Fly12:
https://vimeo.com/181735122
:lol:

Is that in Lyneham?

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm

RonK wrote:Image
I don't know whether that works on magpies or not, but that jersey will sure scare off the wheelsuckers.