Topeak Fuel Tank or Tri Bag For Distance Rides ??

Defy The Odds

Topeak Fuel Tank or Tri Bag For Distance Rides ??

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:48 pm

I am looking at investing in some sort of top tube bag to carry gels, wallet, keys, bars, battery pack, etc during long rides as I want to start ramping up the distances I am riding and also in preparation for the Great Ocean & Otway Classic I have signed up for in March.

I looked at the Topeak Fuel Tank (Large) and the Topeak TriBag with Rain Cover.

FUEL TANK:
I like the shape of it. Large but unobtrusive. I really like the little "port" on the side for the cable to use a battery pack. Would come in handy seeing as I use my phone as my bike computer currently and for GPS. Looks water resistant but not waterproof. Zip is harder to open than velcro

TRIBAG:
Has a velcro opening so easier to get to gels or bars quickly. Less space than the fuel tank though. Has a rain cover if a downpour occurs which is handy as I plan to ride in all conditions moving forward (not heavy rain but showers yes)

Has anyone used or have any of these and can provide some valuable feedback?

eeksll

Re: Topeak Fuel Tank or Tri Bag For Distance Rides ??

Postby eeksll » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:11 pm

have you tried a top tube bag of any sort before?

I found my knee constantly hit it when I was standing, something to think about anyway.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 pm

eeksll wrote:have you tried a top tube bag of any sort before?

I found my knee constantly hit it when I was standing, something to think about anyway.
Hey eeksll,

No I haven't, spent the last few days reading and watching countless reviews. Some mention this, but they also mention the benefits outweigh the cons. Also, I dont necessarily get out of the saddle, sometimes on climbs but even then I usually sit in the saddle.

Which one do you have?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:12 pm

You should probably ask in the triathlon forum.

The smaller one should be fine. You can even put a quite a lot of Clif Bars in your jersey pocket. For phone and cards, you can use just a zip lock bag. Keys can go in a slightly larger saddle bag. I wear mostly Cuore kit which has two normal pockets and a insulated zip up pocket for a phone, this is quite okay for carrying a clif bar or two, a gel, a small pack of tissues and can even fit a folded up windbreaker top. That should be fine to get you through 145km ride or even 200km.

I would recommend to get a small Garmin instead, those are quite useful - and better than running down the battery on your phone.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Sorry, no help with those two bits as I use a now old and beaten up Banjo Brothers bento box which has taken a flogging.
Maybe not so tri-aero, but have a look at the Revelate Mountain Feedbag, fits a far bit of stuff and will not scuff up your phone with your keys and has enough room for several handfuls of green jelly frogs, If keen, you can do iphone vids if you sit it up square in the mesh pocket, mine has not bounced out yet and been used on some pretty rough stuff. I just vid the dog running in front and wait for creeks to see herself launch into the water at full pace. Really I like it a lot and now goes from bike to bike while the bento box stays on the fast bike; it gets my vote for the my best bit of kit for 2016.(Well apart from the 10$ orange chook squeaky dog toy which I strap to the stem as my NSW-approved-to-ride-the-streets-safe-bike-bell.)

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm aware that the jersey pockets fit alot, but I find it uncomfortable on longer rides.

Currently in my jersey pockets I carry:
- gels and bars
- keys
- repair kit in zip lock bag which includes a tube, co2 pump and cartridge, levers and patches

I was looking at the Topeak bags because I like minimal stuff in my when riding

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 am

Defy The Odds wrote:
eeksll wrote:have you tried a top tube bag of any sort before?

Hey eeksll,

No I haven't, spent the last few days reading and watching countless reviews. Some mention this, but they also mention the benefits outweigh the cons. Also, I dont necessarily get out of the saddle, sometimes on climbs but even then I usually sit in the saddle.

Which one do you have?
I have a topeak tribag got it second hand from a forum member I think.

I have a size small bike, i like to stand a fair bit. I use it on my old road bike when I want to carry a few extra things. The rubbing does annoy me enough to look at (every) other option first, but if I HAD to carry extra stuff on a very long road ride I'd **consider** it.

Otherwise, I'd agree with the sentiment that it is a very convenient place to put things I use while riding non-solo. Especially food that is not specifically packed for eating while riding eg cake/biscuits/lollies/...

if riding solo, I will mostly just stop and eat my gel, no need to eat on the move and all that.

edit: after reading your last post, I would think a saddle bag for your repair kit, get a separate key cut for carrying on the bike if your carrying a whole bunch of keys.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 am

I bought a Topeak tribag for s 200km ride and I've used it once
I didn't find it got in the way but I found I didn't really use it. I put bananas and energy bars in my jersey pockets, more than I usually would and dates and extra gels in toe tribag
I ate the stuff in the jersey first and found that was all I really needed
I would possibly use the bag again as you can never carry enough food for those days when the ride just seems to drag on for ever.
+1 for a key in the saddle bag.
+1 for Garmin etc rather than the phone

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 am

Top tube bags are very popular with bikepackers. There are a multitude of offerings in various sizes. I use two on my bikepacking bike.

Revelate is probably the best known brand, available online from Abbottsford Cycles.

I'm using Oveja Negra bags from Bike Bag Dude in Sydney.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

PA

Postby PA » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:49 am

My wife and I both have the Topeak Tri-Bag. We put our mobile phones and the car key in them and have no problems whatsoever.
http://www.this link is broken/topeak-tri-bag-with-rain-cover/
Mouse magnet

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks heaps for the feedback!

So general consensus seems to be that I am wasting my time with a tribag/fuel tank type bag.

One thing I find though, is (and this may sound a little gross) is that at the end of a 50km ride, my wallet is moist from the sweat while sitting in my jersey pockets. This and the comfort factor were the main reasons I was looking at the Fuel Tank/TriBag
PA wrote:My wife and I both have the Topeak Tri-Bag. We put our mobile phones and the car key in them and have no problems whatsoever.
What bikes do you use the tribag on and what kind of phonew do you have? I ask because I have read that some phones don't fit. I have a samsung S7 edge

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Thanks heaps for the feedback!

So general consensus seems to be that I am wasting my time with a tribag/fuel tank type bag.

One thing I find though, is (and this may sound a little gross) is that at the end of a 50km ride, my wallet is moist from the sweat while sitting in my jersey pockets. This and the comfort factor were the main reasons I was looking at the Fuel Tank/TriBag
ziplock

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm

I don't think that is the general consensus at all.

But in any case, you don't put your wallet in your jersey pocket. :roll:

You get small coin purse from a bag shop. It needs only be big enough for a few cards and notes, and ideally have a key fob so you can attach a spare house key.

You put your phone in a zip lock bag. Electronics don't like salty sweat.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:44 pm

used a topeak fuel tank quite a lot - think you soon learn to avoid hitting your knees on it when standing - one thing to be careful off is that the velcro straps do rub the frame - so if you like your bike to look pristine then some frame protector film is needed

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:01 pm

similarly I have a "bicycle wallet" it is just a single pocket I cut out of an old wallet. Contains house key, $20, bike sa card and a credit card.

Stays with my bike (well, when I am on my bike I put it in my jersey pocket). The only thing missing is an id card because I dont want to transfer it between the 2 wallets every ride.

Phone haven't got a solution for that yet, if you can ride with carrying it, all power to you.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:39 pm

antigee wrote:used a topeak fuel tank quite a lot - think you soon learn to avoid hitting your knees on it when standing - one thing to be careful off is that the velcro straps do rub the frame - so if you like your bike to look pristine then some frame protector film is needed
Do you find it sturdy, as in does it bounce around especially when hammering it?

Regarding the velcro straps maybe wrap them in black electrical tape to stop the scuffing?

I do like the look of the fuel tank and the side port for the cable to charge the phone looks handy... what bike do you use it on? Is it the large or medium?

Sorry, so many questions

PA

Postby PA » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Thanks heaps for the feedback!

PA wrote:My wife and I both have the Topeak Tri-Bag. We put our mobile phones and the car key in them and have no problems whatsoever.
What bikes do you use the tribag on and what kind of phonew do you have? I ask because I have read that some phones don't fit. I have a samsung S7 edge
We have Carbon Road bikes and have iPhone 6.
Wouldn't carry a wallet, just some cash and a card maybe. Put it in a zip lock bag in the Tri-Bag.
Mouse magnet

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Do you find it sturdy, as in does it bounce around especially when hammering it?

Regarding the velcro straps maybe wrap them in black electrical tape to stop the scuffing?

I do like the look of the fuel tank and the side port for the cable to charge the phone looks handy... what bike do you use it on? Is it the large or medium?

Sorry, so many questions
not sure if I hammer it much...more recreational pace

electrical tape would probably work - I use "helicopter tape" as loved by mountain bikers applied to the frame

think how stable it is will depend on how tight can get fasteners, for me not stable - problem for me is cables and getting velcro under them - i guess if internal cables then easier - plus I guess tube shape my CX bike is flattened under the top tube .... though a bit like hammering it...very rarely run with it - my bag is a few years old no cable ports and as someone said higher up originally bought when riding with people who didn't stop enough for me - but kept on using as don't like to rely on being able to get fuel when want it- may want to check "the rules" suspect very frowned upon..too practical

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:46 am

I have the Fuel Tank, it's great for a handful of food. It's a bit awkward to get the smartphone in but possible. (I usually store mine in a zip-loc in the back pocket instead.) It has a water-proof zip, though no rain cover like the other bag. I've never had a problem with the contents getting wet though.

The Fuel Tank is unobtrusive and I rode long enough often enough that I just leave it on the bike all the time.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am

antigee wrote:may want to check "the rules" suspect very frowned upon..too practical
Ignore the rules, and all the other dogmas.

That saddle bag you have is pretty huge, should fit a lot of stuff in it.

I would also suggest looking at Xlabs for more practical saddlebags. I have one that I sometimes use with my Cervelo P5. It has a huge long/slender aero seatpost which makes fitting saddle bags (and rear lights) more complicated. The Xlabs saddle bag I use with it has longer straps and clips that make it easy to fit. It also takes quite a lot of stuff.

It also has bolts on the top tube for where you could fix a bento box, but I've never used them. Even for 150km I tend to get by with a couple of clif bars or similar.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Ok so I went into my LBS to purchase a Garmin 520 and bought one of these also:

It's a Jet Black Jet Box. Nice, slim profile, has a magnetic clasp for easy opening on the go and holds a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with room for plenty of gels and bars for a long ride. Vinyl/Faux leather finish looks good but I doubt it would last long. Anyhow won't be coming out with me on every ride, just the longer ones 70km and above.

Here it is on the bike

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input !

Velt

Postby Velt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:43 pm

I realise you bought your bag but could always go a bigger saddlebag - topeak mondopack/mondopack XL

newierider

Postby newierider » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

i have the large topeak fuel bag, its actually not that big as it is quite narrow. its a bit awkward to get on and off unless you have internal cabling as the vecro strap has to be fed in between the cable and the frame

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 pm

newierider wrote:i have the large topeak fuel bag, its actually not that big as it is quite narrow. its a bit awkward to get on and off unless you have internal cabling as the vecro strap has to be fed in between the cable and the frame
Did you use it for your recent ride you were training for?

I went into my LBS to purchase a Garmin Edge 520 they had on special, and this is the bag they had so I just purchased one. I liked the thin profile also. I think for a few gels and bars it will do nicely, and I like that it has a magnetic clasp so easy to open/close on the run, no fiddling around with a zip

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:35 pm

I used a top tube mounted bag for a while to carry wallet, keys & phone while commuting.

The problem with it was that I would hit muh tender parts on it. Wasn't long before I stopped using it... :|