2017 Tour Down Under

AndrewCowley

Re: 2017 Tour Down Under

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
open roader wrote:
PA wrote:Yesterdays race was not live as it's not a stage of the Tour Down Under.
I find this quite pathetic and unfortunately so very Australian.
Where in the world is live free to air coverage on a major TV network provided for a crit with no UCI points on offer?
Probably nowhere. The issue is that there's no proper coverage of the actual stages.

If Nine aren't going to show it properly then Foxtel should be allowed to show it on Eurosport. I assume Eurosport have the rights as well but Foxtel don't show it locally due to Nine being the Australian rights holder. Should be a 'use it or lose it' situation.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice to see our adopted mate Chaves settled the question of who is leading the Orica team - I can't see Gerrans making up the deficit from stage 2.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Gerro is past it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:33 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
open roader wrote:
I find this quite pathetic and unfortunately so very Australian.
Where in the world is live free to air coverage on a major TV network provided for a crit with no UCI points on offer?
Probably nowhere. The issue is that there's no proper coverage of the actual stages.

If Nine aren't going to show it properly then Foxtel should be allowed to show it on Eurosport. I assume Eurosport have the rights as well but Foxtel don't show it locally due to Nine being the Australian rights holder. Should be a 'use it or lose it' situation.
Not sure I understand. What stages are they not showing? Each stage has been shown live so far.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Live telecast, sure, but the first hour has gone missing, covered by a three-minute highlights package. Then we have lots of talking heads, some gratuitous crap from John Stevensen (who is he, anyway?) and then two or three minutes of actual racing before going to an ad break. Then step and repeat.
And let's not mention again the People's Choice Classic starting at about 11.30pm Sunday night finishing around 1am.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:22 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Live telecast, sure, but the first hour has gone missing, covered by a three-minute highlights package. Then we have lots of talking heads, some gratuitous crap from John Stevensen (who is he, anyway?) and then two or three minutes of actual racing before going to an ad break. Then step and repeat.
And let's not mention again the People's Choice Classic starting at about 11.30pm Sunday night finishing around 1am.
Starting cycling coverage well into a stage is standard worldwide practice for even the biggest races in the world. It's quite rare that stages are shown from the beginning. It's happened for the TdF on some occasions, but rarely if ever for lower level races. Typically the TdF coverage misses at least the first couple of hours.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:14 pm

I went for a ride up the path by the freeway yesterday morning, and was descending as literally thousands of cyclists were riding up the hill so see TDU.
The discipline and consideration of virtually all riders was great. A couple of times it got tricky (people stopping on a narrow cycle track, and being on the wrong side of it, basically because the bike track was incredibly overloaded with bikes) but about 99.99% of riders got it right, as far as I could see. And this is with lots of visitors who are unfamiliar with a steep, narrow two-way bike track. Compare that to the % of car drivers who do the right thing.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am

So who is watching the TdU roadside tomorrow ?

In the past, have based myself (with mates) 1/2 way up Willunga Hill itself, but tomorrow we are going to try something different.

We'll ride there via Belair Rd, Humpty Doo, Clarendon, Kangarilla & McLaren Flat for the start, then head up Willunga Hill and find a spot on the descent of Pennys Hill Rd before heading home.

Weather looks to be spot on, sunny & mild with temps around high 20's.

Wonder who'll take the Willunga Hill KOM ?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Yeah we will be there somewhere.

Got out and about for the Bupa ride this morning, that descent down gorge rd is breathtaking. Its also bloody hot when you are wearing a polyester suit and have a few extra kilos on the bike for stereo & powerbank. Great fun though.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

PA

Postby PA » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Did the Bupa ride today, legs felt like jelly for the last 50 km.

We will likely ride into Willunga and sit in front of the Post Office to watch from there and not venture up the hill.
Mouse magnet

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Damn. So many fanboi moments today. Press photographer grabs us for a pic with Richie Porte on the finish line. Photographer turns out to be Kathy Watt, who then got another press tog to take a pic with her. Paul Sherwen grabbed us for a photo, as opposed to the other way around.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 am

Had a great ride out to Willunga (through Belair, Clarendon, Blewitt Springs & McLaren Vale), watched the start & 1st lap, and then headed up Willunga Hill.

Don't know what the fastest time was today, but last year Richie was more than twice as fast as I managed). It was PACKED !!!!

Found a spot on Pennys Hill Rd descent and watched then FLY by ( at 92 km/hr).

Then headed back home. 117km and 1680m of elevation !!

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 pm

I'm a relative newbie (a few years) to watching bike races (I generally watch only the TdU and the 3 grand tours) and am still watching the highlights packages; simply impossible atm to watch any more than that, and I struggle at times even then (young family).

Anyway, heard "Jay McCartney" mentioned a few times in the coverage (I think it was Phil). Tim Gilbert shouldn't be anywhere near a bicycle race, and that other clown who used to run can't make fluff pieces even mildly interesting. And the amount of time the hosts spent telling each other how great they were... sickening! Robbie is good though!

Oh and if I hear the word hors d'oeuvre one more time... :evil:
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:30 am

This short video is from MichaelB of and the descent.

I also asked him about the highlights of the Tour Down Under and he put together this nice article for BNA:
Three Reasons why the Tour Down Under is Unbeatable
Cycling is in my BNA

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

tcdev wrote:Oh and if I hear the word hors d'oeuvre one more time... :evil:
Pssstttt..... "hors d'oeuvre" is two words. And Tim Gilbert (whoever he is) is a dick.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:36 am

I thought it was an energy bar or gel and half a can of coke... but now I hear that the pro-cyclists are demanding delightful appetisers... what's going on?

Next they be demanding champagne!

Cycling is in my BNA

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 am

'ave a look at me blodge https://rustyalex.wordpress.com/2017/02/02/tdu-2017/, coupla nice photos there...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:14 am

Next time you need an access-all-areas pass to get better photos for the blodge.
Cycling is in my BNA