Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

roller

Re: Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby roller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am

It's after midnight and Kristoff is heading up the back of falls, the webpage tells me about 5km/h.

Which is about as fast as i did some of it during 3 peaks.

What a strange experience it must be arriving at #Say What corner in the middle of the night and taking on that climb, i wonder if after this race they'll have fond memories of Australia.
inflammatory statement or idea

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am

Thoglette wrote:Dynamo hubs for your shifters, perhaps? Or should we follow Audax rules: two independent sets of electronic shifters?
I use DI2 for my bikepacking and can charge using my USB powerpack... although you still need to be able to charge the USB powerpack
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 am

Wow, so the big drama is Kristof has not moved for almost 7 hours (his name is greyed out, so could be a tracker malfunction too) and Mike is within 30km now. So both have had stop time. K is at 1500 meters, 30km short of Falls Creek, where the temp got down to 10C overnight. Kristof has never had a stop this long, not beyond 4 hours I believe! Sarah is 110k behind, same as yesterday. And Kai 120k behind her. So seems all have similar positions to last night except Kristof.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 am

Going by the Indian Pacific Wheel Race, Kristof's battery is good so if the GPS is correct then we now have a new race leader
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

and reading more posts, someone has noted that Mike passed him and he was 34min behind Kristof, This was just over 10min ago

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 am

disregard all of the above...Kristof's tracker is now back on

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 am

cancan64 wrote:disregard all of the above
It was a bit exciting there for a short while this morning!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

Still exciting - my tracker shows imminent overtake by MikeH of Kristoff, though tracker times are quite different. Maybe the Kristoff tracker is a bit dodgy....
Last edited by cyclotaur on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

RobertL wrote:
cancan64 wrote:disregard all of the above
It was a bit exciting there for a short while this morning!
Still exciting- both in Falls Creek ATM!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 am

Exciting stuff. Kristoff had a short stop at Falls Creek, presumably a warm breakfast, after apparently sleeping exposed in the bush last night, and is on his way again 1k onwards. Mike is 3k behind. Will he stop for brekky at FC, or keep the pressure on for the 30km downhill after FC?

Kristoff has certainly lost competitive advantage, so it's easy to presume he's feeling the stress.
Mike said yesterday he was right off his game suffering sleep deprivation, as did Sarah. Both overly tired, but all of them had at least 4 hours based on changes in gaps.

It certainly looks like it's going to be a different race now.
Last edited by CKinnard on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 am

Race organisers reporting Mike Hall is now in 1st place having passed Kristof while he was stopped in Falls Creek:

"Mike passed Kristof while Kristof was eating out the front of the Foodworks."

It's all set up for an epic battle to the finish now.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

Wow, ok. I suppose the GPS systems only send a signal every ~10 minutes.
So presume Mike's GPS didn't update until after he'd ridden past K (when K was stopped).
Either way, they are within a km of each other near Bogong.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

I wish this was on telly

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

not getting a lot of work done today, and maybe tomorrow as well. Travelling to Canberra on Friday so hoping to see them before they head down the coast again.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm

2sharp wrote:Some news from my scan of social media just now:
Maven took the wrong route at the entrance to Port Augusta and will have to backtrack 20km tomorrow to correct.
Maven went back to the turnoff, but Tracking Jack made the same mistake and didn't retrace his steps to the correct turnoff. :(

Mike 3km ahead of Kristoff heading up to Tawonga Gap, which will probably be 6km+ once they're off the hill. It looks like Kristoff took a nature break just before Anglers Rest and headed the wrong way for a k or so before realising his error.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

yeah i saw K off route and wondered if it was the tracker or wrong turn. further signs he's tired?
It would logical for Mike to keep the pressure on while K is tired, and try to build a gap.
It would be so hard to find new energy reserves at this stage of this race!

And yes Maven left it for others to infer, that Tracking Jack didn't backtrack.
The rules on the IPWR website say you must go back to the point you left the route.
But I think I read elsewhere that the judges don't care if you didn't get a time advantage by taking a shorter route, and TJ's route was certainly not shorter.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

roller wrote:I wish this was on telly

Yup getting fat on the popcorn here

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

CKinnard wrote:....
The rules on the IPWR website say you must go back to the point you left the route.
But I think I read elsewhere that the judges don't care if you didn't get a time advantage by taking a shorter route, and TJ's route was certainly not shorter.
If they were actually battling away for a spot in the top ten it might matter, but I think we all just hope to see these guys and the likes of 74yo Paul Ardill and 18yo Lochie Kavanagh (and everyone in between) just make it home in one piece. They are doing great.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Yes they are all doing great.
Yes we all want to see them get home irrespective of the safety measures they take.
No they are not racing for sheep stations.
But Maven turned around and went an extra 40k's to comply with the letter of the rules, and TrackingJack didn't, and suffered no more than a 3km difference! Different strokes for different folks....and a point that short new rules confound.

Interestingly, JuJu is motoring since all her puncture issues and is 130km from the SA border. 1366km down.

And Ben Hirons, the mate who witnessed Eoin hit by a car and retired, is back in the race!

Sarah has lost distance today. She is now 200k behind the boys and yet to start the climb to FC.
Kai has gained on her, 60k behind.

Mike has 9k on Kristof as they bypass Myrtleford.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:55 pm

finished work but I dont want to go home and leave my computer.... I guess I will only miss a few hours.... in meetings tomorrow, I wonder if anyone will notice me watching the dots...

ryan_rides

Postby ryan_rides » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

There was some talk of age/physical ability and rest management. I would generally agree younger riders would have the advantage here but looking at the average age of the top 5 racers, its 40 years old! You just have to be super tough and mentally stoic for ultras. Those elements seem to favour the older, experienced heads.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

JuJu. Wow what a story. So the same two truckers that drove her to Perth were the first to drive past and drop off tubes. Don't know how much planning went into that, but definitely a story to be mainstreamed to counter the usual wind up.

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm

CKinnard wrote:JuJu. Wow what a story. So the same two truckers that drove her to Perth were the first to drive past and drop off tubes. Don't know how much planning went into that, but definitely a story to be mainstreamed to counter the usual wind up.
Wonder if they just picked that up off her social media posts? Hope they brought the right size tubes

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Must have been right size cos she is back making good time 88km from the border. The story is on her facebook page under same name.

Upfront, Mike is growing his lead as he rolls into Beechworth, 16km now.

Sarah seems to be moving at a good pace again and has pulled away from Kai a little.

Mavin's 70km ahead of TrackingJack now when TJ had a 40k lead around 9am when Mavin was back on route. hmmm.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:43 pm

CKinnard wrote:Yes they are all doing great.
Yes we all want to see them get home irrespective of the safety measures they take.
No they are not racing for sheep stations.
But Maven turned around and went an extra 40k's to comply with the letter of the rules, and TrackingJack didn't, and suffered no more than a 3km difference! Different strokes for different folks....and a point that short new rules confound.
Depends on when the mistake was discovered. If JJ was many kms down the road when he found out, and not stopped in PA for the night like Maven, he may have just decided against it.

Anyway, good on Maven but I wouldn't hold it against JJ for carrying on forward. He may not be too concerned with the strict rules anyway. I wouldn't be if I was still the other side of Adelaide.

Meanwhile, at the pointy end.... :shock: