Going through 1-2 tubes a week

Duck!
Expert

Re: Going through 1-2 tubes a week

Postby Duck! » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee another conti sidewall cut hahaha.
Looks like a 23c too. No surprise
Pfft. I commute on 23mm Gatorskins. Can't remember the last time I had a puncture.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 29, 2017 8:11 am

bychosis wrote:
uart wrote:
bychosis wrote: The Eleebana to Speers Pt path. There are probably other built around the same time that are similar. I think they use glass fibre reinforced concrete now rather than steel reinforced.
Thanks mate, I'll make sure I watch out for that next time I ride that way. It's not path that I travel very often though, as it's usually a bit slow and crowded with peds. :)
Yeah, it's no t a 'training path', but it makes a great alternative to roads for commuting or cruising. Certainly doesn't get bunches of riders like the Fernleigh, which is better if you are just cruising.
That's interesting... We stay at Blacksmiths quite a lot and do the the Blacksmiths to Speers Point ride fairly regularly. So far, no punctures for either of us. I seem to be running mainly Maxxis or Schwalbe 23c (they are more like 25c) at the moment as they are a good cost/grip/wear compromise.

Richard

zero

Postby zero » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Man you lot must ride on some crap roads. I use Vittoria Corsa SC's and Veloflex Masters with no silly tyre liners, and am lucky to get 2 flats a year.

I think high tyre pressure is the mostly likely culprit for most punctures. At high pressures objects are more likely to get hammered through the carcass when you ride over it. At lower pressures the tyre molds around the object.

I do regularly check the cuts on my tyres for any flints and glass chips.
Got plenty of punctures running 95f/105r instead of 120psi, none of which were snake bites. It does however seem to accelerate the process of wearing the rear tire square, and you have to check the pressure every few days, because if you lower the pressure you have less time before it does get into snakebite territory.

The main issue for me is riding near kerbs and gutters where there is more debris, or riding on roads with lots of 100km/hr trucks, which inevitably blow tires and leave radial tire wire everywhere.

Also some tires do eventually get things in them that you just can't find, and objects can migrate to strange places, the strangest for me was a piece of glass lodged partly under rim tape, found by inspecting the tube to figure out where it had holed.

uart

Postby uart » Mon May 29, 2017 11:35 am

Last year I was getting a lot of flats (not punctures) from failed tubes. It turned out that the 18-25c tubes I was using just didn't like stretching a little extra for my 28C tyres, and they would develop splits. Since buying a bunch of slightly larger tubes I've had no problems.

Only one puncture so far this year. A few weeks back a "cat's eye" (or "double gee" depending on your terminology) gradually worked its way in through my sidewall. The last one before that was a small piece of glass that gradually cut it's way through the main tread.

uart

Postby uart » Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 am

WyvernRH wrote: That's interesting... We stay at Blacksmiths quite a lot and do the the Blacksmiths to Speers Point ride fairly regularly. So far, no punctures for either of us. I seem to be running mainly Maxxis or Schwalbe 23c (they are more like 25c) at the moment as they are a good cost/grip/wear compromise.
Yeah it's not a bad ride, except for that one narrow pinch on Bareki Rd right there on the point at Eleebana.

The most often situation that I ride that track is when I occasionally do the "two city loop". That involves cycling the Fernleigh track to Belmont (starting from Newcastle), then from Belmont back through Valentine, Eleebana and Speers Point to Glendale. Then on the old tramway cycleway from Glendale to Wallsend, and finally the east west cycleway (past the Uni and Jesmond etc) back to Newie.

That's not a bad ride if you're looking for something a bit longer Richard. It's a loop so of course you can start at any point. However due to traffic conditions and pinch points, it's usually best traversed clockwise as stated above.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 am

uart wrote:The most often situation that I ride that track is when I occasionally do the "two city loop". That involves cycling the Fernleigh track to Belmont (starting from Newcastle), then from Belmont back through Valentine, Eleebana and Speers Point to Glendale. Then on the old tramway cycleway from Glendale to Wallsend, and finally the east west cycleway (past the Uni and Jesmond etc) back to Newie.

That's not a bad ride if you're looking for something a bit longer Richard. It's a loop so of course you can start at any point. However due to traffic conditions and pinch points, it's usually best traversed clockwise as stated above.
I do a similar loop in reverse for my 'marathon commute'. It's about 42km from home to work. In doing that though, I usually miss the bit from Speers to Eleebana as I start in Warners Bay and end at Boolaroo
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

uart

Postby uart » Mon May 29, 2017 1:40 pm

bychosis wrote:In doing that though, I usually miss the bit from Speers to Eleebana as I start in Warners Bay and end at Boolaroo
Wow, that really is taking the long way from Warners to Bool. :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 29, 2017 7:47 pm

zero wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Man you lot must ride on some crap roads. I use Vittoria Corsa SC's and Veloflex Masters with no silly tyre liners, and am lucky to get 2 flats a year.

I think high tyre pressure is the mostly likely culprit for most punctures. At high pressures objects are more likely to get hammered through the carcass when you ride over it. At lower pressures the tyre molds around the object.

I do regularly check the cuts on my tyres for any flints and glass chips.
Got plenty of punctures running 95f/105r instead of 120psi, none of which were snake bites. It does however seem to accelerate the process of wearing the rear tire square, and you have to check the pressure every few days, because if you lower the pressure you have less time before it does get into snakebite territory.

The main issue for me is riding near kerbs and gutters where there is more debris, or riding on roads with lots of 100km/hr trucks, which inevitably blow tires and leave radial tire wire everywhere.

Also some tires do eventually get things in them that you just can't find, and objects can migrate to strange places, the strangest for me was a piece of glass lodged partly under rim tape, found by inspecting the tube to figure out where it had holed.
95psi is not low pressure.

Currently I run my 25mm tyres at 65 front 85 rear. No pinch flats and definitely no loss of speed. I weigh around 78kg.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 am

Duck! wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee another conti sidewall cut hahaha.
Looks like a 23c too. No surprise
Pfft. I commute on 23mm Gatorskins. Can't remember the last time I had a puncture.
And 23mm GP4000S II here - and regular commute rides dodging glass and other debris, and regular long weekend rides. No problems here.

I tried the fashionable 25mm tyres, didn't get any benefit from them aside from the slightly better ride quality and they don't fit on one of my other bikes. So now it is just 23mm and nothing else. I'm not particularly watchful of the tyre pressures either. But I do generally keep them inflated at 90-100psi.
ironhanglider wrote: I don't doubt that there is increased resistance.

I also don't doubt that many people wouldn't notice. I for one don't notice the difference between when my lights are drawing a current from my dynohub or not, and I know that there must be 5W difference just from flicking a switch.
If there is any increased resistance, then I can't pick it. And the difference will be wiped out when you puncture.