What do you wear in Autumn/Winter?

DavidS

Re: What do you wear in Autumn/Winter?

Postby DavidS » Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm

g-boaf wrote:
DavidS wrote: I suffer in summer.

DS
The way to get around that is just ride more in warmer weather and you get used to it over time.
Hmm, having ridden to work for about 7 years, summer and winter, it isn't working! I just handle cold better than heat. I'm used to it but I still suffer.

Interesting about softshell jackets, I need to work out exactly what my jackets are. I know the long sleeve jacket is very warm, but it is made for very cold conditions.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 pm

There are soft shell jackets and then there are soft shell jackets - when it gets really cold my Castelli Espresso is just the thing.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 am

What specific gloves (brand and type) do folks wear in winter?

I've got some Thinsulate woolly gloves that are okay until it reaches maybe 8c and below - then the wind gets through them and I still get freezing fingers.

I bought some ski gloves on sale, nice and toasty warm but I didn't expect my hands to still get sweaty in winter, and the inner layer isn't removable so they can't dry out (eewwww!).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:34 am

Mububban wrote:What specific gloves (brand and type) do folks wear in winter?
I wear these Ground Effect ones. They're great. https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... 1665376707

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Mate of mine wears freezer bags... Seriously :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Castelli Lightness gloves. Good for me to -2 and 3 hrs on bike, temp going up to 1 or 2. Quite amazing actually. Useless if raining hard as well.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm

fat and old wrote:Castelli Lightness gloves. Good for me to -2 and 3 hrs on bike, temp going up to 1 or 2. Quite amazing actually. Useless if raining hard as well.
What are those like for using the shifters? I've got some really warm Specialized gloves that are great for staying warm, but so heavily padded/insulated that using the shift levers is clumsy... And the Garmin screen, forget it. Aside from that, I wouldn't change them - they are lovely and warm.

Other trick is those Castelli balaclavas, those are a must for very cold conditions when you are riding quickly, you can just do as I do and have it covering just your neck, or wear it covering head and neck, that helps a huge amount. Just keeping the neck covered helps a lot in staying warm.

I've found that 99Bikes sells the Castelli Quindici socks that I think are the best things ever, possibly the best socks of any kind - so soft and so warm, and then using the Bontrager shoe covers that I have tends to keep the feet warm enough. And of recent the jacket is in use, Castelli 'Rosso Corsa' jacket, one that is Slipstreamsports, though I really shouldn't keep wearing that one as they can't be replaced anymore. That one is very warm though and excellent quality.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 pm

Winter gloves? The best I've used, unless when it's raining, are BBB Raceshield gloves. Very light weight, very warm and good for down to low single figures and superior to much heavier, more expensive gloves I've tried over the years. Some of these gloves allow the cold wind in through the seams but the BBBs never do. The BBBs allow you to also easily complete gear shifts and apply the brakes without loss of sensitivity.
I don't commute anymore nor do I ride in the frigid early morning but these gloves are the best imo for my type of riding in temps of about 3-12 degrees. They fold up into nothing so easily stowed in the pocket when not needed and for more warmth can be worn under a mitt if descending say Donna because they are so thin. If it's raining I use a wet weather glove such as Goretex but after a few hours of heavy rain they will start to get soaked.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 am

hamishm wrote:
Mububban wrote:What specific gloves (brand and type) do folks wear in winter?
I wear these Ground Effect ones. They're great. https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... 1665376707
And now on special ($10 off). They work fine with the Garmin screen and no problems feeling my shifters.

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm

How are the Pearl Izumi Attack long sleeved tops in slightly chilly weather? I know they are sold as a summer top, but I wonder if the Attack is ok for mid-teen temperatures, maybe with a gilet.

Cheers, Graeme

dixieemard

Postby dixieemard » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:33 am

I use lightweight and waterproof gloves to protect them from wind or rain. A shoe cover will be more than enough not to feel cold and an extra vest will keep the wind out and can be easily tucked into a shirt pocket. That's what I will wear for mild weather on an autumn day.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:29 am

wongaga wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm
How are the Pearl Izumi Attack long sleeved tops in slightly chilly weather? I know they are sold as a summer top, but I wonder if the Attack is ok for mid-teen temperatures, maybe with a gilet.

Cheers, Graeme
Mid teen temps are an undershirt, jersey, arm warmers and + or - a gillet for me. Plus or minus knee warmers too.
The ability to strip or add the warmers and gillet is a big plus.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:30 pm

Wool. Wool wool wool.
I get woollen sweatpants from Ald, ditto t-shirts and light long sleeve shirts. They have a merino sale once a year or so, but get there early. "Before they open" early. Study the website before going, and be clear on your measurements so you can fight for the right sizes in the melee that is the snow sale.

Keep you warm in the cold, don't overheat when it warms up, and keep you warm when wet.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:31 pm

From years ago I haven’t changed much - except I found that attaquer had a great winter jersey with long sleeves. Wearing that with a Le Col jacket is warm enough most of them time.

I’ve only ever had to wear more layers in heavy rain and snow. It was less than 3°C then at higher altitudes it snowed lightly. For that I had winter jersey, base layer, windbreaker and a Castelli jacket and Castelli thermal bibs. And was freezing on the 55km/h descents which were very wet.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:14 pm

I bought one of these from Helly Hansen at Harbourtown on sale for $60 before winter. It feels light like a long sleeved T-shirt, but is surprisingly warm. It has a nice "slim" fit so it doesn't flap around. The sea-rescue orange colour is stupidly bright - although MM still don't see me it seems (even with a similarly coloured helmet above it).

I am in Brisbane but this winter I was riding in "feels like" temps of 3-6°C and this was adequate (just a T-shirt underneath). I used it this morning in 13°C and by the end I was feeling a little warm.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/hp-1- ... lor=301324 (the website link is US because it isn't on the Oz website). Not sure if they are still available ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:59 pm

I have a number of DHB jackets.
2 of these;
https://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-classic-t ... ell-jacket
1 of these;
https://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-aeron-all ... ell-jacket
And 1 of these;
https://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-aeron-dee ... -softshell

Got them all at sale prices at different times

I wear them with Aldi long sleeve motorcycle undershirts in a small. (184cm, 78kg)

The first 2 I wear from ~5-15c
The second ~0-5c.
The last below zero to 5c.

I also have an old campagnolo sports wear jacket that is super warm. I very rarely wear it as it is so warm.

Have different length leg warmers depending on the temp.
Toe covers or neoprene shoe covers, beanie for under helmet and various thicknesses of glove.

I hate being cold on the bike :wink:
Dogs are the best people :wink: