Bought the Wahoo Kickr V2 - what do i do next?

Machoman121

Bought the Wahoo Kickr V2 - what do i do next?

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Bought the Kickr V2 - haven't yet set it up yet - it's still in the box.....had a 5 minute session at the shop - wow the resistance was strong - looks like i'll be able to get a good workout. I wanted the kickr for conditioning and improving my cycling fitness. I don't commute so am unable to cycle during normal work days - it then hurts to be the weekend warrior - so i thought something like the kickr would make my cycling better. With the bikes and kickr i'm hoping to be able to 'cycle' nearly anytime i wish...... I've now noticed that most of the softwares have monthly subscriptions!!!! Hmmm.....didn't quite expect to continue to spend on the kickr concept. I plan to use the kickr for probably 1-3 (hopefully i won't get fed up riding indoors) times a week........

Can anyone recommend where i should start?

Is there a good reasonably priced training app without monthly subscriptions? Happy to pay for the cost of the software but am wary about monthly subscriptions.

g-boaf

Re: Bought the Wahoo Kickr V2 - what do i do next?

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 pm

You could buy PerfPro and download some workouts for it. There used to be some online from a guy called Matt Dodds who was a very good coach and a very good rider as well.

You can also do some reading and create your own sessions. It's not too difficult, it's more remembering to make sessions that are realistic and manageable. You have to be able to finish them.

That's really all you need. You could also do Zwift - it has some structured workouts on it. don't know what it costs though.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 am

The main programs are Zwift, Trainer Road and Sufferfest.

Zwift is by far the most popular one, particularly for recreational to semi competitive riding. It's basically designed to make riding fun, regular and engaging. It's mainly a social platform and has lots of group rides and races, but also has training tools and solo workout stuff.

Trainer Road is very structured with the idea of doing workouts for the maximum efficiency and with very set goals in mind. A lot of time crunched competitive cyclists/triathletes use it religiously to follow training regimens as prescribed by coaches or by themselves.

I don't know much about Sufferfest.

There's more than enough info on the net and youtube to learn exactly how they all work and what they're strengths and weaknesses are before deciding which one to use.

Zwift is really the reason in many ways smart trainers are a thing and why people are spending $1,000 - $2,000 on trainers now. If all you want to do is workout modes there's not that much gain over a normal $400 trainer. Seeing as you have a Kickr, I think the free Zwift trial would be a good place to start out and see how it all works. Join the Zwift/Kickr Owners Facebook groups if you have any questions or just to see what people are talking about.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm

You can try the Wahoo fitness app (iPhone/ipad for sure not sure about Android compatibility) that comes with your Kicker. You can control your kicker from the Wahoo app and this way you could create/do various workouts. Its free too.

I use Trainerroad and Zwift - but both are paid subscriptions.

It really depends on how motivated you are to keep at it. Zwift is a good one and probably the best overall to keep you "in the groove" to train indoors.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

When I was recovering from a torn shoulder, I used the training and some of the sufferfest workouts on an iPad. Worked fine until I could get on the road, but it reinforced that I hate riding the trainer.

Would much rather apply Rule V and ride on the road.

Generally didn't though and wussed out.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 pm

You need to find out what you need and what excites or motivates you.

I am fairly happy with my iphone setup on an out-front mount and watching concerts. Rather than a formal programs (except natural warm-ups and warm downs), I let the music and mood drive it so you can imagine the difference between a Celin Dion concert and Metallica... the later being more enjoyable and effective.

Often artist that have a nice mix in tempo and energy work well like the Foo Fighter a opposed the musicians that are always up-tempo or down-tempo.

On Youtube there are some videos with POV rides and suitable music - electronic with a good beat. I tend to match my cadence to the beat.

Sufferfest are good training videos especially when you want a set-workout.

Zwift requires more setup and think your system is very well suited to connecting in, when you get that immersive feeling of riding with others (rather than training as a solo activity) this can add the motivation and enjoyment that indoor train sometimes can't otherwise offer.
Cycling is in my BNA

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 pm

I enjoy riding in Belgium most mornings...
VeloReality for the software (free from https://veloreality.com), and purchase their excellent HD videos of famous and enjoyable rides (from about $15ea).
The Kickr resistance will be controlled by the software, depending on the steepness of the road. It is vey realistic.
There is a free demo ride of the Paterburg to see if you like it.