Sitting on the top tube.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Sitting on the top tube.

Postby Duck! » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 pm

What do you do with the saddle while you're sitting on the seatpost? :-?
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Duck! wrote:What do you do with the saddle while you're sitting on the seatpost? :-?
I don't know why I wrote that last night, probably being sleep deprived at 11:30 last night. It should say top tube.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Kronos wrote:
Duck! wrote:What do you do with the saddle while you're sitting on the seatpost? :-?
I don't know why I wrote that last night, probably being sleep deprived at 11:30 last night. It should say top tube.
right so sounds like everyone is doing it this way then? I sit like this at lights too.

not sure modern/traditional geometries has anything to do with it.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:42 pm

eeksll wrote:
Kronos wrote:
right so sounds like everyone is doing it this way then? I sit like this at lights too.

Maybe? On my Cervelo, if I stand on one leg, one clipped in I have to actually sit if I wanna be on the TT. Standing I'm probably a centimeter away from pain. Maybe that's what he was getting at...sloping TT's? Otherwise, I got no idea.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm

eeksll wrote:
Kronos wrote:

Some people these days like to ride with zero or even negative stand over height, some people on this very forum like to argue for riding on a bike without any standover height or negative standover height. On a traditional flat top tube bike like a CAAD for instance this would mean not being able to sit on the top tube at all. On a more modern sloping top tube its still bad practice but whatever I'm not going to get into this debate again. Use this picture and figure the rest out for yourself. It doesn't take someone with a degree in engineering to understand this either, so don't complain :lol:

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Seriously, is there any aspect of anything humans do that isn't the subject of scrutiny and possible derision from some quarters? Why are there people who feel the need to pass judgement on the way other people decide they want to stand or sit while waiting for lights? When we are sitting around at the end of a ride, some guys sit on the top tube, some guys stand astride, some lean their bike on a convenient white post and stretch or stand next to it. Who gives a toss? I must remember to pay closer attention to what the guys are doing next time and provide each of them with an assessment of how ridiculous or otherwise their choice of position of repose looks to me. :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 pm

silentC wrote:Seriously, is there any aspect of anything humans do that isn't the subject of scrutiny and possible derision from some quarters? Why are there people who feel the need to pass judgement on the way other people decide they want to stand or sit while waiting for lights? When we are sitting around at the end of a ride, some guys sit on the top tube, some guys stand astride, some lean their bike on a convenient white post and stretch or stand next to it. Who gives a toss? I must remember to pay closer attention to what the guys are doing next time and provide each of them with an assessment of how ridiculous or otherwise their choice of position of repose looks to me. :)
Word !!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Kronos wrote:Use this picture and figure the rest out for yourself.....

Figure out how to sit on a top tube from this picture?
Im confused :shock:

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Kronos wrote:Use this picture and figure the rest out for yourself.....

Figure out how to sit on a top tube from this picture?
Im confused :shock:
Figure out that you wont be able to properly sit on the top tube from that picture if you are one of those people that tends to believe in zero or negative stand over height. All arguments aside of course. Who really cares if you sit on the top tube or not? You're not weight bearing on the top tube (unless you have negative standover height... and then I'm wondering how you've managed to track stand like that).

Some people really have nothing better to do than to mock people for how they sit on their bike :lol: who really cares? Does it effect how you ride your bike?

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Kronos wrote:
eeksll wrote:
Kronos wrote:

Some people these days like to ride with zero or even negative stand over height, some people on this very forum like to argue for riding on a bike without any standover height or negative standover height. On a traditional flat top tube bike like a CAAD for instance this would mean not being able to sit on the top tube at all. On a more modern sloping top tube its still bad practice but whatever I'm not going to get into this debate again. Use this picture and figure the rest out for yourself. It doesn't take someone with a degree in engineering to understand this either, so don't complain :lol:

hmmm surely if you can sit and pedal, you can sit on the top tube at traffic lights unless the top tube is higher than the seat :shock:

having said that I can't sit on my MTB top tube, it slopes too much, or rather I can't sit on it comfortably.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm

You can have your seat post comfortably such that you don't touch the ground while having a top tube you can stand over. The problem I'm talking about is the people who advocate for having zero or negative standover height while hopping on and off their bike. This reminds me of what you would see when you were young where kids would ride their dads bike.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 am

If you have no standover clearance your bike is too large.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Admin Says: A few posts have been removed as they were 'arguing the person not the topic'.
There are no winners when that happens and no added value... so nothing lost that the squabbling is gone
Cycling is in my BNA

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Admin Says: A few posts have been removed as they were 'arguing the person not the topic'.
There are no winners when that happens and no added value... so nothing lost that the squabbling is gone
Who'd a-thought such a light-hearted topic would become so contentious?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm

duncan16v wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Admin Says: A few posts have been removed as they were 'arguing the person not the topic'.
I was expecting it would and I'm sure you knew it would too. What's the point anyway.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 am

g-boaf wrote:
duncan16v wrote:
I was expecting it would and I'm sure you knew it would too. What's the point anyway.
No. No, I didn't. I am surprised at how animated the discussion became on such an innocuous topic.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

Oh this thread had it all: The apparently light-hearted dig at a practice that many on the forum probably indulge in; the posts that completely missed the point going off on a tangent and derailing the thread; the opening of old wounds that descended into a slanging match; the post deletions; and the subsequent complete bewilderment of the OP! This post sums up the Internet to a T :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 am

Well I want to thank this thread for showing me the GCN Stand By Your Bike video. I hadn't seen any of the GCN stuff on You Tube and I've had a great time the last few days looking at their clips.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am

You're welcome!
- Me

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am

silentC wrote:Oh this thread had it all: The apparently light-hearted dig at a practice that many on the forum probably indulge in; the posts that completely missed the point going off on a tangent and derailing the thread; the opening of old wounds that descended into a slanging match; the post deletions; and the subsequent complete bewilderment of the OP! This post sums up the Internet to a T :)
:D

I (heart) the internets

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am

silentC wrote:You're welcome!
Apologies Silent C, I should have thanked you but it wasn't until I read your post and went back that I saw it was you that posted it. :oops:

Many thanks. :D
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Hergest wrote: I hadn't seen any of the GCN stuff on You Tube and I've had a great time the last few days looking at their clips.
GCN is great, cycling, "science," and banter + everything from changing your bottom bracket to how to stand next to your bike and in between.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 pm

I don't want to get too prescriptive, but ...

The bike must be tilted over to the right, at an angle of between 12 and 18 degrees from vertical. The left foot should remain clipped in, with the left crank at a forward angle of between 80 and 110 degrees from vertical, while the unclipped right leg should extend to the ground and be kept dead straight.

The left buttocks or left hip bone should align with the nose of the saddle, whilst ALL of the genitals should remain entirely on the right hand side of (and NOT in contact with) the top tube.

The right hand should be placed on the right hip, while the left forearm rests casually on the quadriceps of the bent left leg (or alternatively, both hands may remain on the hoods if departure is imminent). The left hamstring muscles should rest gently on the top tube to help stabilise the bike, but as mentioned above there must strictly be no genital contact.

Anyone who doesn't sit on their bike in exactly this manner while stationary is a total mug and should be thoroughly ridiculed. ;)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Never have never will descend sitting on the top bar, it is just an accident, waiting to happen and you don't have anywhere near the control over the bike! :roll:

I wait at the lights with the bike tilted to the left and sitting on the seat, with my foot tilted forward so that only the tip of the shoe is on the ground. :P

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

LG

Postby LG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

uart wrote:I don't want to get too prescriptive, but ...

The bike must be tilted over to the right, at an angle of between 12 and 18 degrees from vertical. The left foot should remain clipped in, with the left crank at a forward angle of between 80 and 110 degrees from vertical, while the unclipped right leg should extend to the ground and be kept dead straight.

The left buttocks or left hip bone should align with the nose of the saddle, whilst ALL of the genitals should remain entirely on the right hand side of (and NOT in contact with) the top tube.

The right hand should be placed on the right hip, while the left forearm rests casually on the quadriceps of the bent left leg (or alternatively, both hands may remain on the hoods if departure is imminent). The left hamstring muscles should rest gently on the top tube to help stabilise the bike, but as mentioned above there must strictly be no genital contact.

Anyone who doesn't sit on their bike in exactly this manner while stationary is a total mug and should be thoroughly ridiculed. ;)
Goddammit, I've been doing it wrong all these years, I apologize to all and sundry for my mistake. My error is having my right foot remain clipped in and genitals on the left side of the tube. I will work to rectify my error! :lol:
LG = Low Gear