A big bunch of losers (2009 version of Garfield Principal)

pine

Re: A big bunch of losers (2009 version of Garfield Principal)

Postby pine » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:52 pm

slowflow wrote:106.5 down from 108 & would like to be in the high 90s by Christmas. Riding just 90klm a week but increasing soon. My devils chocolate & wine, two of the most evil.
I am a dark chocolate chocoholic , I could eat it for breakfast lunch or tea.

slowflow

Postby slowflow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. 1 600ml coke a week & usually no juice but will have to reduce the meat size then just wait. Tried Jenny & hated it, so this has to be the way. One bonus is that I enjoy the commute which is all cycleway at the moment. Reward planned posted on my work screen to keep reminding me, maybe should put up a poster that shouts.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:18 am

Does anyone know of an alternative measure to the BMI, which doesn't make any allowances for age, level of fitness or muscle mass?
I'm 50yr old, 190cm (6'4") and 97kgs, which gives me a BMI of 26.9 and puts me in the overweight range.
I cycle, run, swim, spin or box every day, and am very conscious of what I eat.
However, I've been aiming for 91kgs (or BMI of below 25) for over 3 yrs but can't get anywhere near it?
Any ideas ?
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

pine

Postby pine » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Sweeper59 Just get admitted to North Shore Private hospital, where I have just spent 3 days and lost 3kg from starvation. Current weight 67kg and still losing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:Does anyone know of an alternative measure to the BMI, which doesn't make any allowances for age, level of fitness or muscle mass?
I'm 50yr old, 190cm (6'4") and 97kgs, which gives me a BMI of 26.9 and puts me in the overweight range.
However, I've been aiming for 91kgs (or BMI of below 25) for over 3 yrs but can't get anywhere near it?
Any ideas ?
Dexa scan is an alternative. It's doesn't seem to be too expensive. In relation to your (lack of) weight loss it is possible that high cortisol levels are preventing you from losing weight. http://www.advance-health.com/cortisol.html

It is just a theory though because that site does not seem to be backed up by any solid research. The reason I bring it up because apparently aerobic exercise in excess of 45 mins or 60 mins increases cortisol levels and may slow or prevent fat loss (e.g. http://www.fitnessguidelines.com/articles/tag/cardio). However, again the site does not appear to be backed up by any solid research so I would not take it a fact until verified independently.

This fat loss caper is complicated. People say that it is as simple as energy in vs energy out. Create an energy deficit and you will lose fat. However, some research is indicating that if this is all you do you risk losing as much lean muscle as fat. Not good (http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/foodinvesti ... ithic-Diet).

In addition it appears that high cortisol levels may slow fat loss and that exercising for extended periods may cause elevated cortisol levels. Does that mean that exercising helps you burn fat, unless you exercise for too long and then it doesn't? I don't think the science is in on this one yet so it may not be the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/ may contain some useful advice.

Maybe keep a strict food diet for a week or so and try to work out how many kilojoules (or calories) you are consuming in one day. If you reduce that and are still not losing weight it may be worthwhile getting checked out by an appropriate medical professional.

Good luck though. I am about to make some lifestyle changes which I hope will help me increase my lean muscle and decrease my body fat %. I will let you know how I go.
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Starting Weight: 83.5kg Date: 3/11/2009
Target Weight: 80kg
Current Weight: 79.0kg Date: 17/11/2009
Weight loss to date: 4.5kg

http://www.calorieking.com.au/public/?member=mikesbytes
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

zues

Postby zues » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Sweeper 59 wrote "
Does anyone know of an alternative measure to the BMI, which doesn't make any allowances for age, level of fitness or muscle mass?
I'm 52 6"2 and 91kg at the moment .before I started riding again, a year ago, I was 97kg and between 95-97 for the past 15years.
I started riding about 20km /day and lost 9kg. If I kept doing that I would keep losing weight and muscle of my arms and on my legs.
Due to changes in work , (working away and not riding) I now average a ride every second day but still try to do 100km/week. I have put on a bit more muscle and fat because I have been eating a bit more-extra pieceof toast for breakfast-almonds and cashews as snacks.
My wife reckons I was to thin and weedy at 88kg. my BMI of 25 is 86.5kg.
Losing weight isnt my goal I would rather just ride every day. :)